Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:54:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Call a social worker?
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:55:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All three bear encounters I've had while hiking were with black bears and they ran away before I could get pictures of them.  I have heard the black bears in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park can be problematic due to all the tards who feed them.  Black bears aren't really a concern to me.  Now, if I ever venture into grizzly country I'll think differently.
View Quote

It's pretty rare but they can be fuckers though.

This is an interesting one

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I was going to say put your arms up in front of you, and tell that furry bitch to SQUARE THE FUCK UP!!!!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:57:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Ima figure out why I’m in the wrong state.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Best bear round is AMRAAM
They haven't go though yet
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:01:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Random question......does the type of bear matter? Seems a polar bear might not take to these suggestions.
View Quote

When I was stationed in Alaska we had to attend a safety course and one topic item was bears.  The guy giving the class explained the differences between blacks and browns saying to play dead with a grizzly cause they will maul you and leave.  He said if attacked by a black bear you need to get your fight on cause they plan to eat you right there.

Now I can vouch for the validity of any of this because in my 10 years up there I was lucky enough to not get attacked.  
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:05:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Random question......does the type of bear matter? Seems a polar bear might not take to these suggestions.
View Quote

Yes, yes it does.  Black bears (we have several in my subdivision) are "I don't give a fuck as long as you stay away".  Brown Bears aka grizzly bears are much more aggressive.  Besides, NO ONE has ever asked:  "Can you skin Black Bear, Pilgrim".
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A polar bear just needs to be told to check it’s white privledge and it will start crying and leave.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A polar bear just needs to be told to check it’s white privledge and it will start crying and leave.

But their skin is black...so confused!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:07:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU ENCOUNTER A BEAR?
First and foremost, remain calm.  Every bear is different, which means every bear encounter will be different.  There are a few universal strategies we’ve learned from park rangers, though, that can prevent the situation from escalating.

Identify yourself.  Let the bear know you are human by calming talking and slowly waving your arms.  You want him to see you as a human and not a prey animal.
Stay calm and stand your ground.  Screams and sudden movements, such as running away, may trigger an attack.  Continue to talk to the bear in low tones, so as not to be threatening to him.
Make yourself look larger and pick up small children immediately.
Hike in groups and make lots of noise.  This will help alert the bear to your presence.
Do not drop your pack or allow the bear access to your food.  You may need your pack for protection should the situation escalate.
Carry bear spray if possible.  Bear spray can be an effective defense tactic to use against an aggressive bear.  If possible, you should always carry it when hiking in bear country and learn how to properly use it.
Leave the area or take a detour if possible.  And always allow the bear an escape route.

You're welcome

View Quote
Wrong.

You're supposed to establish dominance.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
WHAT SHOULD YOU DO IF YOU ENCOUNTER A BEAR?
First and foremost, remain calm.

View Quote
Well, that fell apart with the first recommendation. I encountered one in Yellowstone years ago, and I can tell you my blood ran icy cold and my skin got so prickly I could have stuck kitchen matches on my arm.

I haven't met the person who can "remain calm" when suddenly flushing a thousand-pound killer. It's terrifying.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:09:59 AM EDT
[#12]
My weekly encounters go as such...

Bear- man...fucking methbillies, nothing but empty doritos bags and mnt dew cans...hmmmm...a nice fenced in homestead...lets see what they got..

Me-

YO GTFO outta here bear..midnight ,  daisy...Go.....woof,wooof woof..

Bear- man..fuck your ass ..fuck you to dog...man..bears cant even get a good steak bone or old hot wings in this module..fuck you if my sow was here I'd kick your ass....fucking look at you midnight...black dogs matter my ass..punk ass get back on your porch...just wanted some nibbles and old mussy sauce....
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Yell and pop off a round in its general direction in your underwear

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:13:27 AM EDT
[#14]
I should post the video of my friend chasing the black bears away from the trash cans in his neighborhood little bastards the lot of em
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Black Bear Gnaws on Delta 15s Seakayak in Berg Bay, Alaska

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:18:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Shoot.
To.
Slide.
Lock.
With a double stack 10mm
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:18:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Kick it in the nuts. It really works.

Here is a documentary.
John West Salmon "Bear Fight" ad

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:21:08 AM EDT
[#18]
one of my fraternity brothers got into hand to hand combat with one, he works for fish and wildlife in my area. Had a bunch of stitches from it.

We have a black bear thats made a den on our property. Sucker got into the electric fence around the bee hives yesterday.

I built an AR10 for when I go around the property at night with nods just in case.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:22:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
.460 SW
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#20]
I hear some Large groups like to hunt solitary Polar Bears in America!
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:24:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a conversation with a 4-500lb black bear in my driveway about two weeks ago. He didn't listen until I put 2 rounds of .308 at his toes. He's been back to the neighbors place, but not mine. Fish and Game told me to shoot him, but I was too hungover to process a beer that day.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:24:30 AM EDT
[#22]
As usual, the Karen universe overthinks a problem.

Leave bears alone. If they get close enough and act threatening, shoot them until they doeth threatening things no more.

Also, if this is not feasible for some reason, consider not wandering around where there are bears.

This is good advice well beyond bears.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:41:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Interesting in reading the post!  I do not remember seeing many if any from Alaska.  We do have a good numbers of bears up here, but not like some of the 'lower 48' states.  We do have some encounters up here that do not turn out well for people.  But there are also lots that do not turn out well for the bears.  When I am out hiking, not hunting, I usually have a Ruger Red Hawk 44 mag, Gock G20 10MM or a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70.  Black bears may seem timed but they are looking for an easy food source.  Do what you have to do to not get eaten.  Grizzly bears can be a big problem, but will sometimes just fake charge.  Do not run and do not be overly aggressive.  Kodiak bear, they are a whole different story.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:43:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Just do what i do, walk out to get the mail and say hey bear and turn around and walk back into the house after getting the mail. I have run ins with bears on a monthly basis at the house and they never bother me nor I them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I love arfcom bear threads.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#26]
44 mag.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 10:55:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I encountered this bad boy while hiking with a friend in the Pelican Valley in Yellowstone.  We were coming out of a wooded area into a clearing and the grizzly was maybe 20 yards from us when we came out of the wooded section.

We had our bear spray out and ready and I also had a gun, but he just went about his business munching on whatever roots he was eating and didn't bother us.  A bit later, a couple coyotes harassed him and he didn't really bother with them either.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#28]
In my old neck of the woods brown and black bears were common. They were docile.
They're like, big fat, drunk, dogs. Looking for snacks.

I actually hand fed one while hiking in the Adirondacks. My ex almost pissed herself, she heard the branches snapping behind us, and was all like OMG RUN ITS A BEAR! and was freaking out scared shitless.
They like slim jims and beef jerky. I even pet it. Just like a dog, they like it right behind the ears. I thought they'd be softer, their fur is kinda, bristley.
I won't fuck with a Kodiak or grizzly. Brown and black bears are harmless. Weeble wobble like a fat drunk dog looking for snacks...
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:07:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
one of my fraternity brothers got into hand to hand combat with one, he works for fish and wildlife in my area. Had a bunch of stitches from it.

We have a black bear thats made a den on our property. Sucker got into the electric fence around the bee hives yesterday.

I built an AR10 for when I go around the property at night with nods just in case.
View Quote

Poor yogi... all he's looking for is snacks...

If I could have snatched a cub, I'd have kept it and raised it. Affording to feed it.. different story.
They can duke it out with trash pandas for the garbage.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:08:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File

Small grizzly tracks this last November. Always carry bear spray in addition to a gun. Be mindful of where you are and your surroundings.

We lost a family friend a couple years ago to a grizzly. Complacency is what kills when hunting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:10:33 AM EDT
[#31]

This is the best response
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Or you could start screaming at the bear "Am I Being Detained?".
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
My weekly encounters go as such...

Bear- man...fucking methbillies, nothing but empty doritos bags and mnt dew cans...hmmmm...a nice fenced in homestead...lets see what they got..

Me-

YO GTFO outta here bear..midnight ,  daisy...Go.....woof,wooof woof..

Bear- man..fuck your ass ..fuck you to dog...man..bears cant even get a good steak bone or old hot wings in this module..fuck you if my sow was here I'd kick your ass....fucking look at you midnight...black dogs matter my ass..punk ass get back on your porch...just wanted some nibbles and old mussy sauce....
View Quote

They just want snacks. Bears are awesome.

Coyotes can fuck off. Assholes of the wilderness.
Fuckers.

String a deer up after dressing it. Cock suckers will devour it in the middle of the night.
Canadian geese are assholes too.
Canadian geese should be culled with Flak guns and belt fed 12 gauges. Cooked in the oven, placed on stuffing, a side of honey marmalade or cranberry sauce to get rid of that greasy gamey sole of a mechanics boot taste, and fed to bears.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:30:34 AM EDT
[#34]
My recent experience for what it's worth...

Every bear is different, personality wise, so encounters do vary.

I live in Montana.

Two weeks ago, at the end of a 12 mile hike in the Tobacco Roots, I encountered a female brown bear w/ cubs. 60 yards off to my left, she charged immediately, closed to 35 yards and stopped. In the time it took her to do that, I had raised my shotgun (Saiga 12) and had her in my sights.
I did not move or panic. I didn't speak. I stood firm and prepared to do what might be necessary. She huffed, growled, looked at me and then retreated back to her cubs. I did so as well slowly, aware that the encounter could turn into a stalk.

Bear biologist told me it was very rare for female browny w/ cubs not to attack.

I did have bear spray, but there was not time to deploy it. Having a semi-auto shotgun with slugs, spare mags, inspired good confidence. A pistol, .44 or 10mm, on reflection, would be a distant second choice.

The outcome was good for all.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Shoot buddy in the knee with your otherwise useless 9mm.

Take a leisurely walk back to the car - the bear will be occupied for a while.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:42:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I missed the always be armed part of this training session.
View Quote

SPNI
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:43:06 AM EDT
[#37]
You yell GIT and they run the fk away.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:53:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I encountered this bad boy while hiking with a friend in the Pelican Valley in Yellowstone.  We were coming out of a wooded area into a clearing and the grizzly was maybe 20 yards from us when we came out of the wooded section.

https://pbase.com/rikwriter/image/164196638.jpg

We had our bear spray out and ready and I also had a gun, but he just went about his business munching on whatever roots he was eating and didn't bother us.  A bit later, a couple coyotes harassed him and he didn't really bother with them either.
View Quote

That area is chock full of them. Cant even overnight backpack in the Pelican, I believe there is a chapter in Lee Whittlesey's awesome book Death in Yellowstone about the July 1984 attack that closed it to backpacking.

munch

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 11:58:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Take a picture.

Or if the bear is an asshole.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:19:44 PM EDT
[#40]
As part of pre employment training, I had to take a polar bear awareness class. The video showed a polar bear which was happily meandering over the arctic ice when he came upon what must have been a thin area.

He got down on his stomach and belly crawled over the thin ice, got to the other side and then resumed his normal gait.

Seeing that makes you realize in that situation you are certainly not the top of the food chain.

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:22:03 PM EDT
[#41]
make burgers
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#42]
I can tell you from experience that if you roar up on on in the middle of a wheeler trail, jump off hollering and running right at it,  not only will the bear run off a ways into the woods where it will turn around to see what you are, but you kid will think you are crazy.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:47:13 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In my old neck of the woods brown and black bears were common. They were docile.
They're like, big fat, drunk, dogs. Looking for snacks.

I actually hand fed one while hiking in the Adirondacks. My ex almost pissed herself, she heard the branches snapping behind us, and was all like OMG RUN ITS A BEAR! and was freaking out scared shitless.
They like slim jims and beef jerky. I even pet it. Just like a dog, they like it right behind the ears. I thought they'd be softer, their fur is kinda, bristley.
I won't fuck with a Kodiak or grizzly. Brown and black bears are harmless. Weeble wobble like a fat drunk dog looking for snacks...
View Quote
That was definitely not the best decision of your life.

I hope some of your others are better.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:56:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
.460 SW
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Instead of putting a couple rounds at the bears feet I just started throwing sticks at them.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

A polar bear just needs to be told to check it's white privledge and it will start crying and leave.
View Quote
Polar bears are black.

For us most of the time black and brown bears run away. Those that stay around camp or villages get taken care if pretty quick.

In Glacier park as a kid we ran and played in bear country. Never a problem.

But plenty of people have been killed and eaten in the park. Over 20 that i know of.

Canada is starting to have problems with bears because of no hunting,regs for guns and problem bears.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:03:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Tell it what a good Bear it is...

What a smart Bear...

What a pretty Bear...
View Quote

LOL; Timothy Treadwell used to say stuff like that......
But that was before one chewed him and his girlfiend up and shit them out.
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#48]

I want this guy as a pet

Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:08:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 6/25/2020 1:10:43 PM EDT
[#50]
I encounter a few black bears every year while hiking.
Generally, they are pretty skittish of humans and usually make them selves scarce once they are aware of you.
That said, I am usually armed when I see them.

Although they are shy and avoid humans, they could f*ck you up if they want to.

I am cautious of bears, but they don't really scare me.

Mountain Lions, however, scare the sh*t out of me.  I encountered 3 one night in the dark last year and about shat myself.  No likey.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top