Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Way back when I was a patrolman (and dinosaurs still walked the earth), you had a belt that held up your pants (dress belt) and you had your gun belt. Gun belt alternately referred to as a Sam Browne (though technically that would have a shoulder strap) or a duty rig.  Keepers (leather strips with snaps or Velcro) went under your dress belt and around your gun belt. This helped keep everything in place.  When worn properly you wouldn’t see the dress belt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:25:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Way back when I was a patrolman (and dinosaurs still walked the earth), you had a belt that held up your pants (dress belt) and you had your gun belt. Gun belt alternately referred to as a Sam Browne (though technically that would have a shoulder strap) or a duty rig.  Keepers (leather strips with snaps or Velcro) went under your dress belt and around your gun belt. This helped keep everything in place.  When worn properly you wouldn’t see the dress belt.
View Quote

It's two different worlds.     Duty belts are the under belt with keepers or Velcro holding them together are for Patrol Officers.   A Texas Ranger is not nor have they ever been patrol officers.

The double belt rigs are a nod to old western rigs worn in the old West and Southwest.  It's about embracing the traditions and customs that were unique to the border areas of Texas and the appreciation of master makers.

This thread isn't about cops / patrolman or duty rigs.   It's about Texas Rangers and the artistic customs found in the Southwest.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Great pics.   That is Judge Roy Beans courthouse and saloon in the lower photo.  The only law West of the Pecos.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#4]
This is an actual Texas Ranger in service.  She earned her spot in the rangers and keeps the traditions alive. Her double belt rig is something to be proud of.  It's about tradition and style.  That is a Sig Sauer with engraved wood grips.

Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It's two different worlds.     Duty belts are the under belt with keepers or Velcro holding them together are for Patrol Officers.   A Texas Ranger is not nor have they ever been patrol officers.

The double belt rigs are a nod to old western rigs worn in the old West and Southwest.  It's about embracing the traditions and customs that were unique to the border areas of Texas and the appreciation of master makers.

This thread isn't about cops / patrolman or duty rigs.   It's about Texas Rangers and the artistic customs found in the Southwest.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am aware what this thread is about.  Some people seemed to not understand why he was wearing 2 belts so I was explaining the concept. While what the Rangers wear is quite a bit more ornate and expensive it still serves the same purpose. And since the time the Texas Rangers were placed under DPS their members have been selected from DPS troopers. Every one of them has served time as a patrolman.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:25:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Texas Rangers.
Beating confessions out of prisoners for 150 years.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 5:30:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Four years ago my wife and I were in San Antonio for a conference.  One of the Ranger companies took their company photo in front of the Alamo.  Too cool not to get a photo.  They were carrying 1911's, but on a single belt.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:55:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Four years ago my wife and I were in San Antonio for a conference.  One of the Ranger companies took their company photo in front of the Alamo.  Too cool not to get a photo.  They were carrying 1911's, but on a single belt.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86202/IMG_08e62_JPG-1795087.JPG

View Quote

Plain buckles too?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:30:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

are those the Morman Rangers? they are missing serious bling.

no offense to the Mormans.. I have the utmost respect for their missionary duty.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Double belt gun rigs are a trademark of the Texas Rangers and the sheriff's in various counties in Texas.  The belts are hand tooled and the buckles are made by master engravers.   Some rigs are made in the prison system for the rangers and other LE.    There are also Special Rangers and Special Texas Rangers.  There is a difference.

Some of the nicest rigs are made by men with a year waiting time with no sign on their shops.

https://i.ibb.co/vjZ0xxr/Gun-rig-texas.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/d9/f5/5cd9f544baf54c14a969241b45d05c51.jpg

View Quote

Good looking rig, and it even has my initials on it!
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:44:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

are those the Morman Rangers? they are missing serious bling.

no offense to the Mormans.. I have the utmost respect for their missionary duty.
View Quote

That is what a ranger normally looks like unless there is a ceremony or special occasion they are attending. There is a gun shop in Austin called McBride's.   Every time I went there I always found one in the shop shooting the shit.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Plain buckles too?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Plain buckles too?

I think they were going for more of a uniform look than individual style for their picture

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/25/2021 10:38:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:15:07 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sorry y'all told us about this.  I just wasted an hour on it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:26:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Not a belt, but the Rangers do like a nicely done firearm.

Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:42:16 AM EDT
[#16]
This is my version. The belt's too big now, so I can get a more appropriate one.

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Double belt gun rigs are a trademark of the Texas Rangers and the sheriff's in various counties in Texas.  The belts are hand tooled and the buckles are made by master engravers.   Some rigs are made in the prison system for the rangers and other LE.    There are also Special Rangers and Special Texas Rangers.  There is a difference.

Some of the nicest rigs are made by men with a year waiting time with no sign on their shops.

https://i.ibb.co/vjZ0xxr/Gun-rig-texas.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/5c/d9/f5/5cd9f544baf54c14a969241b45d05c51.jpg

View Quote

I used to know a couple of people that could have gotten me one of those, I never seemed to have the money or the right gun for it at the time.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:46:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sorry y'all told us about this.  I just wasted an hour on it.
View Quote

The show?  I assume it sucks?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:21:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Learned a lot of new stuff in this thread.
View Quote

Me to

Very interesting.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:30:51 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Texas Ranger on the left is Lt Patrick Pena.   Nicest guy you could know.

The annual Texas Ranger group photos are taken at various locations each year. to be gifted with one of the large format photos is a real honor.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:31:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Go to the Ranger Museum in Waco. A lot of what you seek will be found there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:09:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Is this a special belt made for Texas Rangers, or is it commercially available?

Or is it just for that show?

Image link

ETA: New show on CW with Padelecki.
View Quote

Looks stupid....
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 3:11:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is an actual double belt rig worn by a Special Ranger with the Texas Cattleman's Association.   Not many wearing an actual rig like this would be found wearing a keeper on their rig.

https://i.ibb.co/PD8mxqn/Special-Ranger-Wayne-Goodman-wears-his-Colt-1911-with-a-double-belt-with-double-belt-buckles-designe.jpg
View Quote

Must take a long time to get your pants down after that gallon of black coffee and the bran muffins for breakfast in the Texas Rangers.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
In the CW series they have them wearing a double belt rig but are using keepers in the back.    It looks like the prop guys did a half assed job on it.  His double belt rig should be hand tooled, however,  the original Walker Texas Rangers belt wasn't hand tooled either in the first few episodes and he went on to just wearing a pants belt with holster with belt loops in the back.

https://s.hdnux.com/photos/01/16/12/76/20492204/11/1200x0.jpg
View Quote

Hell with all this talk about leather.  She looks like she would be a good fuck.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:06:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Neat thread OP!

I’m interested in all things Western.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 7:42:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I had an audition for the new Walker show.  It conflicted with a movie I was starring in.  I would love to be on that show. I hope the opportunity comes about again.
View Quote

Was a gusseted action jeans video required for the audition?

Kharn
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top