Originally Posted By 70satvert:
Fuck it, another $100 at SENS @ $2.85.
View Quote

I had a phantom SENS buy hit @ 2.85
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:53:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Blitzcraig173:

Does anyone here really want to be holding MVIS anywhere near 2023?  
View Quote

Sure.  Why not?  They could be the main lidar supplier to several of the major car companies and sitting at a $300 pps by then.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
DPLS 400k at .0861
View Quote

I paid .087
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Oceans87:

Sure.  Why not?  They could be the main lidar supplier to several of the major car companies and sitting at a $300 pps by then.
View Quote

or they could be defunct. I certainly hope not, but it's not outside the scope of possibility
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By cmsnare:

This too... I was trying to make a funny

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:

Or liquidate your positions on your behalf...

This too... I was trying to make a funny

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow

I thought it was funny.  

One of my DPLS buys, I fat fingered the decimal.   There was that milli-second moment of sheer terror right after I hit submit and saw it post to my open order tab...luckily I don't have $5.3 million in cash sitting in my account so it rejected my order...but it's amazing how fast images and information can go through your brain.  There's no way I can financially recover from this...
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Question for margin guys.

Vanguard account with margin.

I’ve about $20k in puts that are right on the verge of being assigned due to the last couple red days.

My available balance (settled funds) is $5192.

“Funds available to trade” = $365k

“Buying power” = $730k

Does this mean that if the puts are assigned, the costs will be absorbed through “funds available to trade” (basically a margin buy) on the portion of the costs that are beyond my settled funds?

Or, is it best that I deposit 20k and deal with it that way?

I don’t THINK I’ll be margin called because of my buying power...but.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Total53:

View All Quotes

I lied, looks like it was actually $2.84.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:07:56 PM EDT
[#9]

View All Quotes

Hey, what ever makes sense.  Or cents...or SENS...  or what ever!
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Dpls .0798

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:17:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Bthorn:
I should just put my phone down and not look at it for 24 hours.
View Quote

*days
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:29:18 PM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

It usually doesn't start barcoding until after lunch but it looks like it's going to be early today.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By FelisTacet:

I’ve about $20k in puts that are right on the verge of being assigned due to the last couple red days.

“Buying power” = $730k

Does this mean that if the puts are assigned, the costs will be absorbed through “funds available to trade” (basically a margin buy) on the portion of the costs that are beyond my settled funds?

View Quote

Value of the PUTS should already be factored into your available margin; no way a broker would let you have $20k of potential debt not factored in/

In etrade they show on my 'margins' screen and are added into the requirements, reducing my purchasing power by the cost to buy them.

If assigned, you should have cash cleared out and be negative $15k (ie on margin)
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:51:43 PM EDT
[#14]
who else is buying mvis dip? Im tempted to throw another $500 at her. someone stop me.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 12:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:
who else is buying mvis dip? Im tempted to throw another $500 at her. someone stop me.
View Quote

I'm selling puts and buying calls and buying back calls I sold
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:09:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FelisTacet] [#16]
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:

Value of the PUTS should already be factored into your available margin; no way a broker would let you have $20k of potential debt not factored in/

In etrade they show on my 'margins' screen and are added into the requirements, reducing my purchasing power by the cost to buy them.

If assigned, you should have cash cleared out and be negative $15k (ie on margin)
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shblackdragon:

“Buying power” = $730k

Thanks.

Now, I purchase those calls on margin...I don’t actually own them.  Vanguard is HORRIBLE when it comes to UI, so it’s hard to navigate around to see what’s going on.  I would expect those shares would be marked as “on margin” in some fashion, and that would be deducted from my eventual sell price when a sell occurs.

I need to transfer my Vanguard brokerage over to my Schwab account in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:25:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmsnare] [#17]

“Buying power” = $730k

View Quote

Best way to be sure is to call the broker.

Generally, if you were to be assigned on short puts, your cash balance would be consumed first.  Assuming you have a $20k liability out there (strike price of $10x 20 contracts perhaps?), if your cash is insufficient, then you go into your margin buying power.  Brokers will use similar terms differently, so again, call Vanguard.  

The net of this is though, either your $365k or $730k is more than sufficient to cover the assignment.  If you're assigned and it goes as I described, you'll have an outstanding margin loan for the difference between your cash balance and the assignment price (strike x number of contracts assigned).  You're okay here, just realize you're paying margin interest.  You have covered your obligation, and could sell the shares, sell other holdings or deposit cash to extinguish the margin loan (or continue to hold everything, keep the margin loan and pay the margin interest.)

The margin call will happen when your equity in the account is below the required amount.  25% is minimum for the Fed, but house margin requirements are often higher and thus take precedence, and often positions have different minimum equity requirements - so I can't say exactly what that threshold is - call your broker.  (You'll usually know because your buying power is based on how much you could borrow over the minimum equity requirement for the account...again, ask the broker which number you should watch/trust if you're going to keep the margin loan outstanding).

If you're below the minimum equity, then you're in a maintenance call (most often referred to as a margin call, although there is also an initial margin call = Reg T call/Fed Call, which has to do with minimum equity requirements at the opening of a position), and the broker may take action to remedy the situation.  Based on what you described, even if everything was assigned right now, you would not likely be in a maintenance call.  HOWEVER, since I don't have a full picture, DON'T TRUST A WORD and call your broker.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

That puts me in moon lambo territory. But lets be realistic, that prob isnt going to happen.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:39:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Tango:
SENS dropped to $2.90
View Quote

$2.85 now. Good buying opportunity or for selling some 8/20 $2.50 puts for $10. It all adds up
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:42:19 PM EDT
[#20]

But in this scenario, if it spikes to $30 and back down again; you wouldn't have been able to sell at 30 because that makes your calls naked, and you can't buy to close because they will be too expensive if it spikes. Correct?

I don't really get the point of those super long options unless it's something like google or apple. Does anyone here really want to be holding MVIS anywhere near 2023? And if the point is to roll them, the premium will only increase in price (unless mvis goes significantly lower and stays, in which case we're all fucked anyway) as time goes on.

Maybe I'm missing something. Please correct me
View Quote

Let's say you bought mvis at $.30 can walk away with $4 a share right now that is yours. And in a year and a half you either get $40 a share or you get to sell calls again. And make more free money.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:43:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FelisTacet] [#21]

Generally, if you were to be assigned on short puts, your cash balance would be consumed first.  Assuming you have a $20k liability out there (strike price of $10x 20 contracts perhaps?), if your cash is insufficient, then you go into your margin buying power.  Brokers will use similar terms differently, so again, call Vanguard.  

The net of this is though, either your $365k or $730k is more than sufficient to cover the assignment.  If you're assigned and it goes as I described, you'll have an outstanding margin loan for the difference between your cash balance and the assignment price (strike x number of contracts assigned).  You're okay here, just realize you're paying margin interest.  You have covered your obligation, and could sell the shares, sell other holdings or deposit cash to extinguish the margin loan (or continue to hold everything, keep the margin loan and pay the margin interest.)

The margin call will happen when your equity in the account is below the required amount.  25% is minimum for the Fed, but house margin requirements are often higher and thus take precedence, and often positions have different minimum equity requirements - so I can't say exactly what that threshold is - call your broker.  (You'll usually know because your buying power is based on how much you could borrow over the minimum equity requirement for the account...again, ask the broker which number you should watch/trust if you're going to keep the margin loan outstanding).

If you're below the minimum equity, then you're in a maintenance call (most often referred to as a margin call, although there is also an initial margin call = Reg T call/Fed Call, which has to do with minimum equity requirements at the opening of a position), and the broker may take action to remedy the situation.  Based on what you described, even if everything was assigned right now, you would not likely be in a maintenance call.  HOWEVER, since I don't have a full picture, DON'T TRUST A WORD and call your broker.  
View All Quotes

“Buying power” = $730k

Thanks, your knowledge never ceases to amaze.

Sooooo...call my broker?    I caught the hint.

When I was approved for cash-secured puts, that required level 3 from Vanguard...which others across the internet also feel is ridiculous.

So I only planned on cash-secured and now I’m blessed with margin.  Or cursed, since it can go that way if one isn’t careful.

When I was approved, I saw the two figures mentioned above. “Available to trade” and “buying power”.  

So after selling a covered call and then buying to close and reopening a new call sell position I received the famous good faith regulation T violation warning so I called Vanguard customer service to discuss that...since I wasn’t planning on “selling to close” the later strike I didn’t think it applies to me.

So to make a long story longer, obviously the original customer service rep couldn’t help me.  I was forwarded to the options desk or what ever they call it, and the guy said “it looks like you’re safe, you have a lot in your account”.  I grilled him more about what those numbers meant, and was transferred to yet another individual who said my trade “probably wouldn’t violate”.  Again, they seemed as confused as I was about how Vanguard goes about it all on the website.

I’ll call them again on my day off and discuss the concerns about which number actually constitutes my margin.  We’ll see what they say.

Of these Puts are assigned, I’m happy to own the stocks at that price. Might be interesting so I can see how it all appears on their website.  I do need to get this account switched over to my schwab soon.

Thanks again for your help.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#22]
$BVXV had a good run today. I sold 2/3 of what I had at 3.97 😀

I will buy back if it drops back below 2.85
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:48:31 PM EDT
[#23]

As was Fury.
View Quote

Haven't seen that one.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:51:36 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

You're an absolute asset to this thread!

How do you know all this information?  Are you in the industry?  You're able to just type it out like someone who intuitively understands.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:51:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#25]

“Buying power” = $730k

View Quote

It would go against your buying power and funds available to trade mostly.  Be put on margin.  

I doubt they get exercise before the expiration day.  If you don't want the shares just roll them out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:
Originally Posted By Vengeance6661:

How far out are you buying calls?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By nolan7120:

$2.85 now. Good buying opportunity or for selling some 8/20 $2.50 puts for $10. It all adds up
View Quote

SENS: I wish I wasn't scared of Puts. I don't know which thing (buying or selling) gets you on the hook to buy the stock at strike at expiration.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]

View Quote

That is very wishful thinking.

For those of us who got in too late, we need to accept that MVIS is not going to get us a moon lambo. I got in a few months back and have been holding and buying dips. It has been a fun ride and I have been up a lot of money(for me) from it, but it's very unlikely it gets anywhere near 300 and you'll be missing out on a lot of opportunities waiting for that.

Or WSB could get it to 300 next week. That's what makes it all so fun.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:03:07 PM EDT
[#29]

That is very wishful thinking.

For those of us who got in too late, we need to accept that MVIS is not going to get us a moon lambo. I got in a few months back and have been holding and buying dips. It has been a fun ride and I have been up a lot of money(for me) from it, but it's very unlikely it gets anywhere near 300 and you'll be missing out on a lot of opportunities waiting for that.

Or WSB could get it to 300 next week. That's what makes it all so fun.
View Quote

Yeah I make money on it but not retirement money lol
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmsnare] [#30]

Thanks, your knowledge never ceases to amaze.

Sooooo...call my broker?    I caught the hint.

When I was approved for cash-secured puts, that required level 3 from Vanguard...which others across the internet also feel is ridiculous.

So I only planned on cash-secured and now I’m blessed with margin.  Or cursed, since it can go that way if one isn’t careful.

When I was approved, I saw the two figures mentioned above. “Available to trade” and “buying power”.  

So after selling a covered call and then buying to close and reopening a new call sell position I received the famous good faith regulation T violation warning so I called Vanguard customer service to discuss that...since I wasn’t planning on “selling to close” the later strike I didn’t think it applies to me.

So to make a long story longer, obviously the original customer service rep couldn’t help me.  I was forwarded to the options desk or what ever they call it, and the guy said “it looks like you’re safe, you have a lot in your account”.  I grilled him more about what those numbers meant, and was transferred to yet another individual who said my trade “probably wouldn’t violate”.  Again, they seemed as confused as I was about how Vanguard goes about it all on the website.

I’ll call them again on my day off and discuss the concerns about which number actually constitutes my margin.  We’ll see what they say.

Of these Puts are assigned, I’m happy to own the stocks at that price. Might be interesting so I can see how it all appears on their website.  I do need to get this account switched over to my schwab soon.

Thanks again for your help.
View Quote

Yeah, the call your broker thing is really to make sure you're getting the best info from someone who can see the full picture of your account.  Unfortunately, some of these things are like asking "what wrong with my engine, it makes a screeching sound every third Wednesday at high noon, and how much will it cost to fix?"  The worst thing that could happen is you receive incomplete (and thus, bad) information and make a decision based on it, so as much as it can be painful to try and get the satisfying answer, the source is really the best option.

If you're searching (which is sad, IMO) for the best person to talk to, perhaps try reaching out to their margins team, and ask what the difference between buying power and available to trade are, and how they're calculated/influenced.  As I sort of assumed, based on the numbers you gave and this one outstanding obligation, if you got into a maintenance call, something went reallllly wrong (as the reps said), but it is kind of the lazy answer and not as specific as it could be.  If you get something similar, perhaps have something like "Ok, but I'm considering increasing my position significantly, and I'd like to know how much I can do so" to try and force a more specific answer.

The other component is how they're calculating the numbers.  For cash secured puts, it's usually a 1:1 reduction in what's available in the account from cash/buying power.  If it weren't a margin account, it's an easy answer.  Once margin and other positions are in play, and their house equity requirements, it becomes much more difficult to pinpoint accurately because there are so many potential moving pieces.  One big example of what could cause issues would be if you have a pattern day trader tag on the account, in which case the day trading buying power and the margin buying power are very different calculations/ratios (one is 4x leverage for positions not held overnight, but the other is less)....so which one are you seeing??  

So, sorry for the long winded excuse of an explanation, but that's why the "call your broker" really is the best answer.  Now it's up to them to be helpful.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I really should proof read.  And not type while driving.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:09:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nolan7120] [#32]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

SENS: I wish I wasn't scared of Puts. I don't know which thing (buying or selling) gets you on the hook to buy the stock at strike at expiration.
View All Quotes

Selling gets you on the hook to buy at expiration. You've sold someone the option to sell you shares if the pps drops below the strike price.

I sell puts for what I'm comfortable owning the stock at. I've sold five contracts so if the strike is below $2.50 on 8/20, I'll be the proud owner of 500 more SENS shares at $2.50 per share.

Edit: what I'm not sure about is how the cost basis is calculated if the puts get assigned. Curious if the gains from selling the puts are factored into the cost basis (reducing it) of the 500 shares or if they're accounted for as two separate transactions. Don't think I've been assigned yet so can't check my account for an answer.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By KaiK:
I really should proof read.  And not type while driving.
View Quote

You'll end up being in one of those ditches.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]

Selling gets you on the hook to buy at expiration. You've sold someone the option to sell you shares if the pps drops below the strike price.

I sell puts for what I'm comfortable owning the stock at. I've sold five contracts so if the strike is below $2.50 on 8/20, I'll be the proud owner of 500 more SENS shares at $2.50 per share.

Edit: what I'm not sure about is how the cost basis is calculated if the puts get assigned. Curious if the gains from selling the puts are factored into the cost basis (reducing it) of the 500 shares or if they're accounted for as two separate transactions. Don't think I've been assigned yet so can't check my account for an answer.
View All Quotes

I’ve had RIOT and GDXJ Puts assigned, and Vanguard factors in the premium to that specific block that’s assigned.  

I would think the same applies to Calls, but I’ve been wrong before.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:30:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cmsnare] [#35]

View Quote

Assigned puts should have the strike price reduced by the premium received to give you the net cost basis for the shares to calculate gain/loss against when you sell.

For example, if you sold a SENS $2.50 put for $0.50 premium, your net cost basis should reflect as $2.00.  If you then sold the shares for $4.00, you'd have a $2.00 gain per share to pay capital gains on.  Conversely, if you sold the shares for $1.50, you'd have a $0.50 capital loss to claim.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

Do I have to have the cash in the account to sell the put or just when it’s getting close to the end of the term?

And how do I sell the contract when it’s up over $4 (my call strike price I already sold).

Wait is this how you make money both ways?!?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 2:54:13 PM EDT
[#37]

How far out are you buying calls?
View Quote

MVIS Aug 20 $13
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Anbody in TLIS?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By miker84:

You'll end up being in one of those ditches.
View Quote

I'll drive out.  
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Do I have to have the cash in the account to sell the put or just when it’s getting close to the end of the term?

And how do I sell the contract when it’s up over $4 (my call strike price I already sold).

Wait is this how you make money both ways?!?
View Quote

You have to have the margin available to buy the shares.  But you aren't actually using it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:01:35 PM EDT
[#41]
MAVIS just drives you crazy.

Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:07:18 PM EDT
[#42]
MVIS down 4.55%
LAZR down 2.54%
VLDR down .25%
AEVA down .13

all Lidar down but MVIS definitely got the worst of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:09:39 PM EDT
[#43]
MSFT beat earnings...down 9 dollars in AH
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:14:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

You have to have the margin available to buy the shares.  But you aren't actually using it.
View Quote

So does it have to be free capital in the account or does having other stocks in the account work?
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:21:56 PM EDT
[#45]

So does it have to be free capital in the account or does having other stocks in the account work?
View Quote

Depends on the stock. Needs to be a "marginable security"
SENS and DPLS won't cut it Apple and Microsoft will
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

It works off of margin. If you have margin available because of the other stocks it will work.

I've sold a bunch of puts as my only margin balance while I own stocks too that are 100% cash. My margin balance is high but it says none of it is subject to interest because I don't really own the stocks the puts are linked to.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#47]
ME, MVIS and SENS really stepping up today.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#48]
MAVIS just drives you crazy.

https://media.giphy.com/media/fxCptTZs4ajoICeigY/giphy.gif
View Quote

Yep. Get some good bullish news and it drops for the day..
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By captnstabn:
MSFT beat earnings...down 9 dollars in AH
View Quote

This has been happening a lot.  The market is irrational.
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 5:09:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vengeance6661] [#50]

Yep. Get some good bullish news and it drops for the day..
View Quote

Moar buying opportunity.

Months from now there will be hundreds of posters saying they wish they bought more.
Page / 1715
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top