Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I recall in one of my books on DS, that when the Iraqis picked up a Tomcat radar they'd just turn and open the distance at high speed. Which to my uninformed brain says they learned against the Iranians that if they basically did what you said the Phoenix couldn't get them.
View Quote

Missiles have a very tough time completing an intercept against a target flying directly away...it takes a *lot* of missile fuel to chase down a retreating target, even one that isn't hauling a$$ like a Foxbat.

Most air-to-air BVR tactics use dragging out (a 180-turn, and flying away from the adversary) at a particular range as a method of trashing shots that are already in flight. It doesn't do anything to help defeat the other guy, but you've just reduced his missile count for when you re-commit to the engagement.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:15:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
yep
"I'd shoot all those fuckers all at once"
Dos Gringos circa unknown
Going from STT with AIM-7 to Track While Scan and AMRAAM was like being  5 years old on Christmas morning times about a million.
View Quote

@mach  
Dos Gringos - I Wish I Had A Gun Just Like The A-10

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 2:25:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
It is even more amazing for people to realize that missiles are not laser guns (e.g. they take a considerable time-of-flight to actually make their way to the intercept) and that they don't have Pks of 1.0.  Even the good missiles have effective Pks of closer to 0.5, and one-shot-one-kill is *extremely* rare.
View Quote

I got to see that for real during the "weapons airshow" the Stennis put on for the military of Singapore (and us).
F-14's and F-18's popping off AIM-9's at flares in the sky.
I saw more than one come off the rail, take off and run out of steam before it made it to the flare.
I saw others that didn't make it to the flare before the flare dropped into the ocean.
I saw others that lost lock on the flare and watched it go on it's merry way.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:32:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'd put that "99" into some serious airquotes just like the 54's 100 miles or whatever wiki range it has, but yeah point stands its a far better missile in general.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

the AMRAAM can do what the AIM-54 does and does it better. AIM-120D has a range of 99 miles and a better tech, lighter weight, and is compatible with all of our airframes.

I'd put that "99" into some serious airquotes just like the 54's 100 miles or whatever wiki range it has, but yeah point stands its a far better missile in general.

He, that’s what I was getting at, that the 120 is a much better all around AAM than the 54 for pretty much anything other than lumbering Soviet bombers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 6:54:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did we ever fire a Phoenix in anger?
View Quote

I believe three times and they all missed.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:00:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
https://hushkit.net/2022/09/30/we-flew-the-f-14-tomcat-heres-why-it-was-the-most-important-cold-war-warplane/
The F-14 had the capability of destroying ANY opposing aircraft ANY where in the world.
No other Cold War aircraft had the single mission capability to send two nuggets on a “standard” mission from the CV and trap two Aces a few hours later.
The AIM-54 and the AWG-9 enabled incredible combat capability.
With the AWG-9 able to track two dozen separate targets and feed the data to a swarm of million-dollar missiles doing their job, two JO's could find themselves at the tactical pointy end of a powerful strategic spear.
View Quote

The F-14 program was a failure. Not quite to the level of the F-111 it grew from, but pretty close. Shitty engine, G limitations, hard to land, toast in a dogfight, very expensive to operate, etc. And keep in mind the F-14 was basically a family van. It was built to haul a family to soccer practice; a fat mom (the radar) and six kids (the missiles). Once the Cold War ended it was such a one trick pony it could not find another role.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The F-14 program was a failure. Not quite to the level of the F-111 it grew from, but pretty close. Shitty engine, G limitations, hard to land, toast in a dogfight, very expensive to operate, etc. And keep in mind the F-14 was basically a family van. It was built to haul a family to soccer practice; a fat mom (the radar) and six kids (the missiles). Once the Cold War ended it was such a one trick pony it could not find another role.
View Quote

No offense, but there’s a lot of ignorance in this post.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:23:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What exactly is the question? The AWG-9 afaik was the first AA radar capable of actually doing TWS... That didn't mean it did it well, but for the early 1970's with literally a 3 dollar calculator computer processor (in modern 1980's terms) its not half bad, considering the rest of the uncivilized world didn't have anywhere near that capability till a decade or more later.
View Quote

Perhaps I read it wrong, but an earlier comment seemed to indicate, to my brain anyway, that the AWG-9 either didn't have TWS or couldn't do it while guiding a Sparrow for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:27:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He is not all that wrong.

Even when the 14 for the F110 engines, it still wasnt that great

the 14 was limited to 6.5G's but could pull 7.5 IF needed

One of the main issues that eventually forced retirement

This is exactly what it was designed to do.

The "Bombcat" wasnt really all that great as it wasnt designed to do ATG

One of the biggest disadvantages that an F14 has is its swing wings. I read of F15 pilots training with F14 pilots saying the wings would telegraph what the airplane was doing and going to do.

It was a big, expensive, complicated airframe that was quickly surpassed by smaller, cheaper airframes.

People give it mythical status because of a movie. Actual, real world performance differs.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Perhaps I read it wrong, but an earlier comment seemed to indicate, to my brain anyway, that the AWG-9 either didn't have TWS or couldn't do it while guiding a Sparrow for some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What exactly is the question? The AWG-9 afaik was the first AA radar capable of actually doing TWS... That didn't mean it did it well, but for the early 1970's with literally a 3 dollar calculator computer processor (in modern 1980's terms) its not half bad, considering the rest of the uncivilized world didn't have anywhere near that capability till a decade or more later.

As I understand: The sparrow as a semi-active radar seeker needs the target painted for it by the radar of the shooter.  TWS wouldn't give enough of a signal back to track by the missile's simpler systems.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
As I understand: The sparrow as a semi-active radar seeker needs the target painted for it by the radar of the shooter.  TWS wouldn't give enough of a signal back to track by the missile's simpler systems.
View Quote

The AIM-7 requires continuous-wave high PRF energy being constantly reflected off the target for it to guide. Thus, it requires single-target-track.

The AIM-54 and AIM-120 (as "active" missiles) don't, and thus they can be employed with TWS modes.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

The issue with the "Bombcat" was that it had limitations in its employment capabilities that other peer multirole fighters like the Block 40/50 Viper, Hornet, and F-15E did not have.

The F-14 could have been a perfectly capable GP/PGM/IAM bomber if it had a longer gestation period and more $$ poured into the targeting pod placement, 1553 bus plumbing, and integration of the A-G avionics.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the airframe that would have prevented it from being a very capable mutirole fighter.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Track-while-scan to the rescue...or now AESA radar which looks at everything simultaneously without the loss of track file fidelity that TWS had.
View Quote

My last deployment location, we had a comms guy who had eyes that looked in different directions.  I started referring to him as TWS when he wasn't around.  I think at least two of the other pilots (non-fighter types) actually peed themselves when I explained to them what "Track While Scan" meant without actually referencing his eyes.  I suppose that's kinder than calling him "Off Boresight."  Hey, I didn't do it to his face or in front of the other maintainers or support team...  
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:32:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
One of the biggest disadvantages that an F14 has is its swing wings. I read of F15 pilots training with F14 pilots saying the wings would telegraph what the airplane was doing and going to do.
View Quote

I flew with a couple former Tomcat guys in the F-15E who said they could use the swing wings to decoy the bandit on their actual energy state based on that same concept. Ergo, if they wanted to fight two circle, they might hit the merge with the wings out so they "looked" slow and would bait the bandit into thinking they could win a rate fight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
My last deployment location, we had a comms guy who had eyes that looked in different directions.  I started referring to him as TWS when he wasn't around.  I think at least two of the other pilots (non-fighter types) actually peed themselves when I explained to them what "Track While Scan" meant without actually referencing his eyes.  I suppose that's kinder than calling him "Off Boresight."  Hey, I didn't do it to his face or in front of the other maintainers or support team...  
View Quote

Definitely callsign-worthy.  :)
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:33:19 AM EDT
[#16]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
yep
"I'd shoot all those fuckers all at once"
Dos Gringos circa unknown
Going from STT with AIM-7 to Track While Scan and AMRAAM was like being  5 years old on Christmas morning times about a million.

@mach  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=335GdTqtyLs

I don't want to brag or anything but I am in that video with a cameo appearance.

I am the guy on the left at 0:24

not joking. My only claim to fame
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:36:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Let me show the predecessor to the F111. The original Phoenix shooter... Luckily the Navy put down the crackpipe. Yes, thats right, it was subsonic...

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:36:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Probably BS, but I read somewhere that part of the reason the kill numbers of top German aces in WWII numbered in the hundreds came from them getting a "kill" if anyone in the flight they were leading got one, and that aircraft destroyed on the ground counted also.

Ever come across that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

100% true. Similar issues with fighter shoot-down claims.

Rules for verification of kill claims changed through the war, too, as it became obvious that post-sortie self-reporting wasn't all that accurate.

Probably BS, but I read somewhere that part of the reason the kill numbers of top German aces in WWII numbered in the hundreds came from them getting a "kill" if anyone in the flight they were leading got one, and that aircraft destroyed on the ground counted also.

Ever come across that?

Also, German, like Japanese pilots flew until they died. That worked well in the beginning of the war, but destroyed them in the end. They ended up with a few amazing pilots, and lots of baby seals, with instructors whose knowledge became very obsolete over time.

The United States rotated their best pilots back stateside to becoming instructors, this improved the overall average of our pilots quality tremendously.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:36:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I got to see that for real during the "weapons airshow" the Stennis put on for the military of Singapore (and us).
F-14's and F-18's popping off AIM-9's at flares in the sky.
I saw more than one come off the rail, take off and run out of steam before it made it to the flare.
I saw others that didn't make it to the flare before the flare dropped into the ocean.
I saw others that lost lock on the flare and watched it go on it's merry way.
View Quote

Yep, exactly right. Pretty eye-opening to see in person rather than just hearing about it.

You guys are lucky that they do demos like that for guys out on the boat, that would be fun to watch.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:37:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thats correct, you need an STT mode to "paint" the target to guide sparrows.

The only radar that could guide multiple Fox1's was the Mig31's Zaslon radar, but that was a PESA (impressive for the early 80's esp for the soviets)
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

The flip side of that story is that "experienced" tomcat pilots exploited this by manually moving the wings to show different energy states and fuck with OPFOR in a dogfight. But I bet the number of guys that could do that was rather limited.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Track-while-scan to the rescue...or now AESA radar which looks at everything simultaneously without the loss of track file fidelity that TWS had.

oof

TWS is kinder and gentler than off boresight, plus it sounds more mysterious to the ladies.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:41:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

As is evidenced by threads like this, most folks don't understand the nuances of missile "ranges", especially with respect to launch speed and altitude, and target aspect, speed, and maneuvering.

I don't blame folks who don't have that knowledge for hanging their hat on unclassified static numbers, as the fact that "there is no one single range number, it depends on these multiple dynamic variables" is a much more difficult concept to wrap your mind around.

It is even more amazing for people to realize that missiles are not laser guns (e.g. they take a considerable time-of-flight to actually make their way to the intercept) and that they don't have Pks of 1.0.  Even the good missiles have effective Pks of closer to 0.5, and one-shot-one-kill is *extremely* rare.
View Quote

Yup. I mean once you explain it to people though they usually get it pretty quick, since it makes perfect sense.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:46:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The flip side of that story is that "experienced" tomcat pilots exploited this by manually moving the wings to show different energy states and fuck with OPFOR in a dogfight. But I bet the number of guys that could do that was rather limited.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was what's called an "adversary". In a nutshell, I pretended to be a Warsaw Pact pilot, simulating their weapons and tactics. I played with a lot of F-14s, sometimes three times a day. Not once, ever, did I see one try to trick me that way. That's just not how dogfights go.

When the flying tennis court's wings came out, I knew he was out of energy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:46:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Are you talking an all Sparrow engagement from the days of yore, or where the Eagle has AMRAAM?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Range was limited. The Tomcat against the Eagle in a BVR environment generally did similiar type F-16 tactics ( before they got amraam ) of a bomb burst hoping to get someone in un-targeted trying to exploit the limitations of single target track.

Are you talking an all Sparrow engagement from the days of yore, or where the Eagle has AMRAAM?

Days of yore, not sure if I even flew against Tomcats with Amraam. If I did it was even less of a contest and was probably VID ROE because of it, but I honestly can't recall.

I remember one sortie during days of yore when I was a young Lt, 4v4 against Tomcats, they never came to the merge. We were DCA and they were OCA, They did a bomb burst came back hot, all got spiked and then they did a monty python "run away run way" It stuck in my mind because I wasn't expecting that as a youngin.  All 3 engagements on the sortie happened exactly the same. There was no fight.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hey, I thought the Eagle was the "flying tennis court"!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:52:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't want to brag or anything but I am in that video with a cameo appearance.

View Quote

I've seen that clip many times in McD promo material -- cool!

Where was it taken and what were the filming circumstances?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fine, make the counter argument.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:55:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I was what's called an "adversary". In a nutshell, I pretended to be a Warsaw Pact pilot, simulating their weapons and tactics. I played with a lot of F-14s, sometimes three times a day. Not once, ever, did I see one try to trick me that way. That's just not how dogfights go.

View Quote

Yeah I dont doubt that. There was a topgun instructor famous for doing it, and maybe a few others but I'm sure the average fleet pilot. Nah.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hey, I thought the Eagle was the "flying tennis court"!
View Quote

Oh no. The fighter pilots are now gonna have a who's bigger contest. ;)
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh no. The fighter pilots are now gonna have a who's bigger contest. ;)
View Quote

Well, it was always an insult battle between being "Rodan" and the "Flying Tennis Court".

At least my Eagle community wasn't the one leading the LGBT revolution back in the 80s, as that was a favorite insult, too.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:15:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Yeah I dont doubt that. There was a topgun instructor famous for doing it, and maybe a few others but I'm sure the average fleet pilot. Nah.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TopGun instructors didn't fly F-14s. In that era, they flew A-4s and F-5s.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The issue with the "Bombcat" was that it had limitations in its employment capabilities that other peer multirole fighters like the Block 40/50 Viper, Hornet, and F-15E did not have.

The F-14 could have been a perfectly capable GP/PGM/IAM bomber if it had a longer gestation period and more $$ poured into the targeting pod placement, 1553 bus plumbing, and integration of the A-G avionics.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the airframe that would have prevented it from being a very capable mutirole fighter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can piss enough money into just about anything to make it more capable but it is kind of a zero sum game.

It’s 2005 and we are in the midst of sending pallets of money to Lockmart to burn to keep the F-22 plant warm. We also have two counter insurgency wars going. So let’s double down and take the family minivan and hang a bunch of expensive shit on it. Sure, we have to replace the engine because it sucks so bad compressor stalls alone destroyed 10% of our Tomcats and it had an extremely shitty thrust to weight ratio. Needs a new radar also. And once we retrain the entire F-14 community to be mud movers we will have a ‘multi role fighter’ with a huge RCS, not very maneuverable and oh, it takes two folks to fly
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:18:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

The AIM-7 requires continuous-wave high PRF energy being constantly reflected off the target for it to guide. Thus, it requires single-target-track.

The AIM-54 and AIM-120 (as "active" missiles) don't, and thus they can be employed with TWS modes.
View Quote

Makes sense.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Let me show the predecessor to the F111. The original Phoenix shooter... Luckily the Navy put down the crackpipe. Yes, thats right, it was subsonic...

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Douglas_F6D_Missileer_artists_impression.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/2c/Douglas_F6D_Missileer_artists_impression.jpg

It still kissed the Tomcat on the mouth with the TF-30 though.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:30:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@disco_jon75  This TWS character wasn't an Oregon ANG guy by chance, was he? We had a guy in my comms flight that fit that description.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
@disco_jon75  This TWS character wasn't an Oregon ANG guy by chance, was he? We had a guy in my comms flight that fit that description.
View Quote
 He was a CTR who had previously been in the ANG... my guess is he's probably ~55 yrs old now?  Tall guy, maybe a little over 6'?
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Well, it was always an insult battle between being "Rodan" and the "Flying Tennis Court".

At least my Eagle community wasn't the one leading the LGBT revolution back in the 80s, as that was a favorite insult, too.
View Quote

The Navy was always more forward thinking in that regard...
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 12:39:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:oh, it takes two folks to fly
View Quote

Yeah....turns out, that's actually a good attribute in a strike aircraft.

Link Posted: 10/13/2022 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, seems like the two-seat, long-range, sensor-integrated sensor, aircraft with a big load of long range weapons is the trend.
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I'll just sit back here with my AWG-10B memories and marvel at the new stuff!
Link Posted: 10/13/2022 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

But will you regale us with tales of the "advanced" helmet mounted sight the Phantom (sometimes) had?
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:09:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Three times I believe and all were colossal let downs. The Phoenix was designed to shoot down Russian bombers as in TU-95’s over the horizon, it is or was no match for fast, maneuverable fighters.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:13:18 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

3 in fact and they all failed.

Iran had somewhat better luck but mostly against stuff that didnt have RWRs or RWRs that could detect the AWG9 tracking it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

3 in fact and they all failed.

Iran had somewhat better luck but mostly against stuff that didnt have RWRs or RWRs that could detect the AWG9 tracking it.

From my reading the sources claiming Iran's victories are from Iranian sources. They have been stated as propaganda. It makes sense, the milage Iran could get claiming they could make a missile work the mighty USA couldn’t.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 9:01:46 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
From my reading the sources claiming Iran's victories are from Iranian sources. They have been stated as propaganda. It makes sense, the milage Iran could get claiming they could make a missile work the mighty USA couldn’t.
View Quote

I think it is more fair to just say that Iran's numbers haven't been able to be objectively verified by a 3rd party.

This is different than saying the available public data is "propaganda".

Cooper's book, which is really the only widely-available compilation of Iran's F-14 shootdown information*, has an appendix that lists all of the kills that Iran claimed, dates, type of aircraft, type of missile, and various other data. Cooper has said he compiled that data through a combination of Iranian files and interviews with the F-14 crews that he could get access to. It is actually a very nice book, well written and some great photos. Damn, the Tomcat looked sexy in that desert paint scheme. But, even looking at the data as presented in that list, there are a lot of holes in it.

I loosely worked with Tom on another book he wrote (just provided some photos I took and some data on some stuff I saw in Iraq in 2003), and he does not appear to my eyes to be an Iranian propagandist by any stretch of the imagination.

But, the Iranian source data, and the (lack of) methodical verification of the kills that they claim simply can't be matched up victory-for-loss with the Iraqi AF's data. And, yes, some of is probably some Iranian state-generated propaganda.

So as Cooper's data is single-source, from a historian perspective the data is considered unreliable.

Attachment Attached File

* There are two other books that I know of about the Iran/Iraq air war (one of which is only available in Polish!), and both seem to re-print Cooper's list rather than having data sourced on their own.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

LOL! Nice!
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#47]
This video just popped into my YT feed.  I thought it germane since there is a discussion of the TF-30.

Link Posted: 10/14/2022 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But will you regale us with tales of the "advanced" helmet mounted sight the Phantom (sometimes) had?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VTAS was advanced for its time, but it just wasn't advanced enough for the pilots to WANT to use it.  The biggest reason I am aware of is it added about 2 lbs to the weight of a normal helmet which in turn made the VTAS helmet way too damn heavy under G.

VTAS helmets were pretty cool to play with on the flight line though!
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

VTAS was advanced for its time, but it just wasn't advanced enough for the pilots to WANT to use it.  The biggest reason I am aware of is it added about 2 lbs to the weight of a normal helmet which in turn made the VTAS helmet way too damn heavy under G.

VTAS helmets were pretty cool to play with on the flight line though!
View Quote

IDK, as a system it gets compared alot to the Soviet Schmel system that was far more successful for a variety of reasons (including the fact it was very light), mainly due to how it was better integrated with the R73 and KOLS on the mig29 for example. I think VTAS was ok, but really it was limited by sidewinder seeker limits, and if you are talking about the 70's it was being used with rear aspect missiles like the 9G/H, which also had limited G reserves compared to later missiles. So like if you can't take an all aspect shot with an HMS whats the point? If your missile can't pull enough G like an R73 then you have a far more limited launch envelope etc.
Link Posted: 10/14/2022 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I think it is more fair to just say that Iran's numbers haven't been able to be objectively verified by a 3rd party.

This is different than saying the available public data is "propaganda".

Cooper's book, which is really the only widely-available compilation of Iran's F-14 shootdown information*, has an appendix that lists all of the kills that Iran claimed, dates, type of aircraft, type of missile, and various other data. Cooper has said he compiled that data through a combination of Iranian files and interviews with the F-14 crews that he could get access to. It is actually a very nice book, well written and some great photos. Damn, the Tomcat looked sexy in that desert paint scheme. But, even looking at the data as presented in that list, there are a lot of holes in it.

I loosely worked with Tom on another book he wrote (just provided some photos I took and some data on some stuff I saw in Iraq in 2003), and he does not appear to my eyes to be an Iranian propagandist by any stretch of the imagination.

But, the Iranian source data, and the (lack of) methodical verification of the kills that they claim simply can't be matched up victory-for-loss with the Iraqi AF's data. And, yes, some of is probably some Iranian state-generated propaganda.

So as Cooper's data is single-source, from a historian perspective the data is considered unreliable.

* There are two other books that I know of about the Iran/Iraq air war (one of which is only available in Polish!), and both seem to re-print Cooper's list rather than having data sourced on their own.
View Quote

Yeah more or less this, I mean I don't think Cooper has any real personal bias on the matter, but I do bet the pilots he talked to did and he just lets that go out unfiltered. So as an actual historical work its pretty flawed.

My 2 cents on it is that at the start of the war its pretty clear the IRAF was the larger/better equipped/better trained AF. So it preformed well. As they ran out of missiles/parts etc. That changed. And that whole time the Iraqi AF was getting better, better fighters, better training, better pilots. So by the end of the war the opposite situation was the case.

There is also the case that Cooper/Iran dont really make any distinction between actual models of stuff killed. Mig23 in 1980 most likely meant an export version of mig23bn (bomber model, usually misidentified by amateurs as a mig27). And like in that case it basically has no air to air capability at all, and functionally speaking not even a useful RWR), so like clubbing baby seals. By the end of the war, when the Iraqis basically possessed the 2nd best mig23's built with advanced radars, RWR's, missiles etc. And were shooting down F14's with em.. And that entry is still gonna read mig23... Same case for the Mirage F1's and mig21's Iraq operated.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top