User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 6:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The real repair for a chronic arthritic joint is replacment.   I have an arthritic shoulder and that is my diagnosis.
View Quote

And a shoulder replacement is generally one of the easiest shoulder surgeries to come back from.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 7:36:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I did the elimination diet a year ago to try and fix my chronic arthritis/inflammation. I found that I wasn't allergic to much but cutting sugars and carbs from my diet almost completely fixed my arthritis, inflammation and even my chronic allergies. Doc says that if my body was responding to the excess carbs/ sugars with inflammation, that would have amplified my allergic reactions. YMMV
View Quote
Bingo!! Stopping the insulin reaction stops the inflamation.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:40:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

He said the cartilage is basically gone so he'd go in and scrap off the ends of the bones to open things up a bit, basically.  
View Quote

Hows it feel after the shot?

I have a slap tear and a rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder.  I must be up to 10 injections in it.  Most are for the slap tear, but the last one has lasted for years and last MRI said it looked like it was surgically repaired.  And Ive has a few in the left.

My advice is to wait until you can function due to the pain.

If the first injection has good results but doesn't totally resolve the issue, get anther one in 14 days.  One doesn't always do the trick.  

Link Posted: 4/2/2021 9:58:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Keep moving and doing ROM(range of motion) movements.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got diagnosed with acromioclavicular (AC joint) arthritis. The orthopedist gave me a cortisone shot today and said to follow up in a couple of weeks to discuss surgery if the pain is still there.  

Has anyone been down this road and could offer some advice?  Did cortisone help, or the surgery?  

Some background, I've been a firefighter for almost 20 years.  I got hurt at a fire back in January and have had severe shoulder pain since.

Has anyone with a physically demanding job had this and bounced back?  

Keep moving and doing ROM(range of motion) movements.
+cortison shots and NSAIDS, baby that shoulder it will never "not hurt" again.

Ac joint resection seems like it works but I haven't had it, my left AC has arthritis, I just deal with it, if it gets too bad I go get a shot.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:01:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have a slap tear and a rotator cuff tear in my right shoulder.  I must be up to 10 injections in it.  Most are for the slap tear, but the last one has lasted for years and last MRI said it looked like it was surgically repaired.  And Ive has a few in the left.

If the first injection has good results but doesn't totally resolve the issue, get anther one in 14 days.  One doesn't always do the trick.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He said the cartilage is basically gone so he'd go in and scrap off the ends of the bones to open things up a bit, basically.  

All day my shoulder has been hurting worse than when I initially hurt it.  It feels like bones are grinding against each other whenever I move my arm.   The doctor said it will probably hurt over the weekend but he expects improvement during the week.  We’ll see.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Big thumbs up for me for dead hangs. They suck but work.

From there pull ups seemed to help a ton. Started with 10 sets of 1 (sad). But jumped quickly.  My issues were range of motion and serious impingements to the point where I couldn’t lift my arms above parallel.
Link Posted: 4/2/2021 10:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Try reducing or eliminating pig meat in your diet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 8:51:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Diclofenac has helped me.  Just rub it on. Get prescription strength from your doctor.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:19:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I will do that, not today though, my shoulder is killing me after the cortisone shot.  

I did do 6 weeks of physical therapy, that didn’t help a whole lot, but I’ll keep doing the exercises.  
View Quote

It may not improve things, but it is helping. A frozen shoulder is total mayhem.
Sounds like you are pretty progressed if someone is talking surgery so soon. Funny thing about arthritis, you often don't realize it is sneaking up until it pounces on you.
No advice. I have a hosed rotator cuff, that the ortho says is better than it would be if he went in and messed with it. If that is the case, people have some fun with them. I know pretty quickly if I don't do the exercises enough.The other shoulder isn't arthritic, but doesn't have ROM after being broken and repairs done to the rib cage. They say women with mastectomy's run across the same motion problems occasionally. It is a delicate balance.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve had arthritis my entire life. Joint supplements are snake oil. I eat healthy but no special diet aimed at arthritis. Tried a few back in the day but nothing made a difference. Cortisone will make the pain go away for a time but ultimately if you want it fixed you get it replaced. How much pain you’re in or how little you want it to effect your life before you have surgery is up to you. First knee replacement was at 27 for a reference.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:34:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Try BPC-157

https://fitnessedge.net/bpc-157-overview/

TB500 may also help.  BPC-157 should be injected close to the tissue affected for it to work best.  

View Quote

This....

I wish I’d have known about this when I hurt my shoulder a few years ago.

I ended up getting a few cortisone shots and did PT but ultimately had surgery. They cleaned up the arthritis, ground a little bit off of the AC joint and because My biceps tendon was jacked so they cut it off at the labrum and drilled a hole in my humerus to reattach it there (tenodesis). That was December of 2019 and I was lifting again with no restrictions by May of 2020. I’d say that I’m 99% of where I was, unrestricted ROM, no issues at all. Try PT and cortisone but if it’s bad enough, just do yourself a favor and get it fixed
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

All day my shoulder has been hurting worse than when I initially hurt it.  It feels like bones are grinding against each other whenever I move my arm.   The doctor said it will probably hurt over the weekend but he expects improvement during the week.  We'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

All day my shoulder has been hurting worse than when I initially hurt it.  It feels like bones are grinding against each other whenever I move my arm.   The doctor said it will probably hurt over the weekend but he expects improvement during the week.  We'll see.
First time my shoulder got really sore after an injection was the time it lasted the longest.  That was the last for my slap tear and I haven't had one for that problem in a few years.

Link Posted: 4/3/2021 2:49:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Where in VA are you?  If northern, and you want a second opinion, go see Dr. Murthi at medstar Union memorial.  He is the chief of shoulder and elbow at medstar Union memorial and is awesome.

He has done both my shoulders and several people I know with great success.

It may be a hike for you, but I would seriously jump on a plane to see him if he moved.

https://www.medstarhealth.org/doctor/dr-anand-murugan-murthi-md/
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 4:15:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Diclofenac has helped me.  Just rub it on. Get prescription strength from your doctor.
https://spy.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Voltaren-Diclofenac-Sodium-Topical-Arthritis-Pain-Relief-Gel.jpg?w=1024
View Quote

I have Dicofenac in oral form it helps a little with the inflammation and pain and its better than Tylenol.

Edit
Right now I actually injured my self mt biking so I have glenoid fracture my scapula and am immobilized so double pain.  The fun never stops.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top