Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2022 7:50:35 AM EDT
I go through a ton of AA batteries. Do y’all know of any deals on AA batteries? Is it worth paying more for some over others or do you suggest buying more cheap ones rather than fewer expensive ones?
My kids are killing our budget with all their electronic doodads.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:52:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Get eneloop rechargeable

That is all

Edit…spell check
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Japanese Made Rechargeable NiMHs, don't buy shit Chinese batteries.
Ikea has 4 packs for $9

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
FPNI again!
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get eneloop rechargeable

That is all

Edit spell check
View Quote
@Blasko

How long do they last (lifetime)and what charger do you use?

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I don’t mind rechargeable, in fact I have a few for flashlights, but I would prefer regular old AA’s for the children’s toys. Are there any store brands that are better than others?
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:32:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I buy AA/AAA batteries at Aldi. Sometimes I buy them at Harbor Freight when the alkaline ones are on sale.

I miss Radio Shack. When you bought a pack of their brand batteries you'd get another pack for free. When the batteries went on sale same deal. Were the batteries good? Not really but good enough given the price.

Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:33:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don’t mind rechargeable, in fact I have a few for flashlights, but I would prefer regular old AA’s for the children’s toys. Are there any store brands that are better than others?
View Quote

youre just throwing money away on disposable AA or AAAs today. no idea on your question, i switched rechargeable years ago. the only other use case is cold weather gear which gets lithiums.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:35:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I just buy the Amazon bulk packs. 100 for like 25 bucks
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Be careful buying rechargeable AAs.  Most, like those linked above, are 1.2v instead of the standard 1.5v.  A lot of devices won't run well on the lower voltage.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Amazon Basics or Kirkland (Costco) in bulk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes good rechargeables..But I think the makers of battery's are catching on to that..I think they are selling less of those now as it is cutting into their profits on the disposable one time use battery's..
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:42:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Be careful/don't use rechargeables in low-draw devices ~ by the time you notice they are low on juice they may be dead.  Learned the hard way with a kid's LED nightlight.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I'll only pay for lithium batteries.
Any size, rechargeable or not.
No lead acid, no alkaline.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 8:58:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Kids’ toys means rechargeables.

Some of them don’t function with the lower voltage (1.3V vs 1.5V of alkalines), but most of them will.

I’ve had good results with eneloops, as well as EBL’s off Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Japanese made rechargables and Energizer Lithiums only.  

Whatever you do, NO duracell alkalines.  Save your self the trouble and just hit your dick with a hammer.  They were great until production moved to China, they'll randomly leak brand new and trash your toys now.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#16]
I still keep some AA/AAA, mainly store lithium’s. We use Eneloops or the Amazon brand rechargeable. Probably have 70-100 now. Use a Maha and nightcore chargers.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:04:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Envelops only. There's not much worse than going to change batteries and seeing an alkaline leaking all over.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#18]
The Project Farm guy on YouTube tested a bunch.

TLDW: Just buy the Amazon brand batteries and you'll come out ahead in the long run. Some batteries last a little longer, some last much shorter, but for the price buy Amazon.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 10:50:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The Project Farm guy on YouTube tested a bunch.

TLDW: Just buy the Amazon brand batteries and you'll come out ahead in the long run. Some batteries last a little longer, some last much shorter, but for the price buy Amazon.
View Quote

This is what I did.
I do need some eneloops as well though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Mouser has Panasonic AA alkalines for $0.25 apiece, in 100 piece quantities.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 7:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@Blasko

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Get eneloop rechargeable

That is all

Edit spell check
@Blasko

@SquatchAv8 been using them constantly for about 3 years now, use them till dead then pull a fully recharged set from the drawer, recharge the dead ones and throw them in the drawer, have not noticed any degradation even though this is not the preferred way to use them for longest life. I would expect to get the number of cycles Panasonic predicts

Edit, I use the eneloop 4 position charger for AA and AAA
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 11:35:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Costco had that a while back.  Same price IIRC.  Picked up a couple.
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Japanese made rechargables and Energizer Lithiums only.  

Whatever you do, NO duracell alkalines.  Save your self the trouble and just hit your dick with a hammer.  They were great until production moved to China, they'll randomly leak brand new and trash your toys now.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Get eneloop rechargeable

That is all

Edit…spell check
View Quote

FPNI.

Also use genuine Panasonic Eneloop chargers with them.  Specifically the BQ-CC17.  It charges each cell at its own individual pace instead of in pairs like most cheap chargers do.  

Buying and using multiple BQ-CC17s to get enough charging bays for your use is much better than some huge off brand 8 or 12 bay battery cooker.

I put Eneloops in all the kids toys because they last longer between charges than the throwaway ones, and the kids go through them a lot.  Break even on the rechargeable investment is about 3 full charge cycles vs Energizer Max disposables in AA size.  If you get 500-1000 charge cycles from them, that's a significant cost savings.  

The cost of electricity for each charge is less than $0.005, even here where electricity costs me $0.14/kWh.

Math (prices from Amazon):
24 Energizer Max AA for $18 = $0.75 per single use battery
8 Eneloop AA for $19 = $2.40 per rechargeable battery
$2.40 / $0.75 = 3.2 cycles to break even
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I buy the Harbor Freight 18-pack AA batteries on sale for $4.99 so 28 cents per battery.

They don't last as long, but I use them in stuff where that doesn't matter, like my gaming mouse. Haven't had one leak and I've been using them about 5 years.

I keep 12 in a Storacell in my laptop bag.

$2.40 / $0.28 = 8.6 cycles to break even.

Edit: I was off by $1 so corrected.
Coupon attached. They run these sales several times a year.

Link Posted: 6/23/2022 10:21:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, Duracell alkalines are absolute trash. I have seen more of those leak than anything else.

I use the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums in my NVG, optics, IR devices, etc.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top