BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A hat, or a broach, or a pterodactyl....
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I know where there is an absolutely huge one, that could make some nice dinner tables.

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#3]

How bout a nice little sculpture...?

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's some inspiration for you, OP.

This place is based out of Waynesville, NC, and has some amazing stuff. They ship all over the US. and some of their stuff is very high end. I wanted a mantel for our next house...when Mrs Osprey saw the asking price, I got a cigar box.

Their FB page is at the bottom, and some of their smaller stuff is featured there.

Burl gallery

Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:21:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I know where there is an absolutely huge one, that could make some nice dinner tables.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148098/IMG_0478-3122495.jpg
View Quote

Dam.  Makes the one I have look puny.

Some great ideas presented here.  Thanks to those that helped.

This looks like something I’d like to do.  I already have a vessel bathroom vanity.  I’d just replace the bowl.

" />
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:06:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a water oak in the back yard that has several of those growing out of the trunk.   Guess whenever it has to come down I'll have to try to save them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I Spent 400 Hours Carving This
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This right here.

Cut it into blocks and then carefully cut the block into 2" x 5" scales for knife handles. Each scale is about 5/16" thick.

Depending on the figuring of the grain, they can command upwards of $25 - $30 per set.

You can make a lot of money if you can extract some quality burl figuring. When I made knives, I paid through the nose for scales.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A fuckload of knife handles.

This right here.

Cut it into blocks and then carefully cut the block into 2" x 5" scales for knife handles. Each scale is about 5/16" thick.

Depending on the figuring of the grain, they can command upwards of $25 - $30 per set.

You can make a lot of money if you can extract some quality burl figuring. When I made knives, I paid through the nose for scales.
Hopefully, the OP doesn't mind the slight hijack:

What would be the best way to cut this burl to make knife handles?  Cut it across the grain - like cutting down a tree?  Or cutting with the grain - like sawmilling making lumber?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
slice it up and make some end table tops
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Turners would pay a handsome price for some of that
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hopefully, the OP doesn't mind the slight hijack:

What would be the best way to cut this burl to make knife handles?  Cut it across the grain - like cutting down a tree?  Or cutting with the grain - like sawmilling making lumber?

Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/EEt7kE3.jpg
View Quote

Don’t mind at all.  Looking for all recommendations.

While looking for answers, I came across this guy who unearthed two pairs of our nation’s Founder’s balls.

Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Bread bowl
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I thought of that.  Not sure i could cut it straight enough with a chain saw.  Plus my bar is only 20”.  I guess i could try to find a local mill.  If there is some pith or cracks in it, some resin would make it a little nicer for an end table top.
View Quote

Probably cracks a few days after it dries some.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:34:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Make me a bookend set of 45 grips..
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top