Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/17/2020 8:32:14 PM EDT
There are a bunch of these pavement markers on one of the back roads we travel.  They are on both sides. at random intervals and point either left or right.  What is their meaning?

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a private road.

Or signs telling you the road will be curving that way coming up.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:35:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a private road.

View Quote

Damn, that was painful
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:36:44 PM EDT
[#3]
it let's you know that particular back road is exit only
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
probably markers for sat. photography of some feature or easement in that area
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Markers for a bicycle race or marathon?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#6]
You're supposed to play the note on your ocarina as you drive over it.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:38:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Markers for the soon to arrive UN peacekeeping force.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Airborne speed enforcement? Arrow in one direction to start timing, other direction to stop timing?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:39:06 PM EDT
[#9]
The markers are at the edges of the road and pointing toward the bar ditch in some cases.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:42:10 PM EDT
[#10]
I've seen them, never knew what they meant.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:42:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Airborne speed enforcement? Arrow in one direction to start timing, other direction to stop timing?
View Quote

Those are normally a white stripe.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#13]
They are typically ground control markers for aerial photography.  Crews paint them and then obtain the GPS location of the point of the arrow.  When the aerials are flown they are 2-dimensional representations of a 3-dimensional surface and are not perfect.  They are "Georectified" so that the points in the photographs match the coordinates obtained using GPS so that the photograph more closely matches the surface.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:47:31 PM EDT
[#14]
For a serious answer, I have seen something similar here and it's always a pointer to a drainage grate on the road.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You're supposed to play the note on your ocarina as you drive over it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/394169/CB493936-DC0C-432B-929D-293B8BB9F291_jpe-1641287.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:55:48 PM EDT
[#16]
The road is in a rural part of the county and is very winding.  On weekends we hear crotch rockets winding up and screaming down the road.  There are quite a few bike riders (pedal powered) on the road on weekends.  Lots of curves and changes in elevations.  

What I'm curious about is there is a dark background that was put down, then the white chevron was applied.  That would lead me to think it needs to be visible from overhead.  Maybe some super secret UFO landing zone.  

OH!!  I KNOW, ITS FOR JADE HELM!!!!
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
They are typically ground control markers for aerial photography.  Crews paint them and then obtain the GPS location of the point of the arrow.  When the aerials are flown they are 2-dimensional representations of a 3-dimensional surface and are not perfect.  They are "Georectified" so that the points in the photographs match the coordinates obtained using GPS so that the photograph more closely matches the surface.
View Quote

This.  Small ones like this typically along the road with 2 foot legs are for mobile, truck mounted lidar and photogrammetry.  We place larger, 4 foot leg panels for aerial, UAV or aircraft mounted lidar and photogrammetry for topographic survey of large acreage tracts of land.

ETA: fresh black background for best contrast. The white shows up great in the photo,  but the black gives better returns in the laser scan of lidar.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:02:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

This actually makes sense.  I was thinking there is a plan to "straighten" the road to make it more usable for increased traffic flow.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:03:17 PM EDT
[#19]
I know they use white chevrons much like that to track the elevation of the road using areal photography.

photogrammetry or lidar+areal photo.

The idea being the elevations of that point are known via ground survey methods, so they can be used to calibrate the elevation models. Though often times there will be a survey point at the tip of the chevron (like a mag nail, or a hub if placed in grass). Not really seeing that in the pick at the OP, but maybe they do it differently than I'm used to seeing.

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This.  Small ones like this typically along the road with 2 foot legs are for mobile, truck mounted lidar and photogrammetry.  We place larger, 4 foot leg panels for aerial, UAV or aircraft mounted lidar and photogrammetry of large acreage tracts of land.

ETA: fresh black background for best contrast. The white shows up great in the photo,  but the black gives better returns in the laser scan of lidar.
View Quote

I didn't have a tape measure with me, but I would estimate the legs of the chevron to be around 18"-24".
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Fema camps?  Anybody?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:16:43 PM EDT
[#24]
They are "L's" pointing to the homes of losers.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:18:29 PM EDT
[#25]
That part is greater than the other part.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:30:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The markers are at the edges of the road and pointing toward the bar ditch in some cases.
View Quote

Bar ditch?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

My guess
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
For a serious answer, I have seen something similar here and it's always a pointer to a drainage grate on the road.
View Quote

They do that so the plows can dig em out

Probably not a thing in Texas
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:39:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Bar ditch?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bar ditch?

You never heard of a "BAR DITCH"?  when building a road workeres would take dirt and gravel from the right of way and pile it up in the center to raise the road bed so rain would drain off.  The area that the material was taken from was known as a borrow ditch.  It eventually became known a a bar ditch.  At least that is what we call it here in Texas.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:43:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You never heard of a "BAR DITCH"?  when building a road workeres would take dirt and gravel from the right of way and pile it up in the center to raise the road bed so rain would drain off.  The area that the material was taken from was known as a borrow ditch.  It eventually became known a a bar ditch.  At least that is what we call it here in Texas.
View Quote

We call it a borrow here
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bar ditch?

Never heard that term until now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a private road
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, have you guys heard the term JEET?  You know the one Jeff Foxworthy uses?  How about JU?  I'm sure you have heard them.

Hey, JEET?

No, JU?

No, ok lets' go to lunch.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:26:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Chevron ahead.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Well, have you guys heard the term JEET?  You know the one Jeff Foxworthy uses?  How about JU?  I'm sure you have heard them.

Hey, JEET?

No, JU?

No, ok lets' go to lunch.
View Quote

You know about witchadidja huh?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You know about witchadidja huh?
View Quote

Nope JU?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:30:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
probably markers for sat. photography of some feature or easement in that area
View Quote

Those fiduciaries are usually a plus sign.

Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:31:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do they precede a bend in the road to the direction they're pointed?
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Not sure.  I will try to notice tomorrow when we head out.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
There are a bunch of these pavement markers on one of the back roads we travel.  They are on both sides. at random intervals and point either left or right.  What is their meaning?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43677/Road_Markings-1641275.jpg
View Quote
Google says it's a "floor"
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Nope JU?
View Quote

Mayonnaise a lot of people in this thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top