Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/10/2023 9:44:28 AM EDT
Money not a question…

I missed a hell of a shot the other day because my card couldn’t write fast enough.  I need a better SD card.

Thanks for your help!
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#1]
The best is a UHS-III speed class card.  It's the newest tech.  Prepare to pay.

Link Posted: 6/10/2023 11:22:59 AM EDT
[#2]
The buffer on the 7100 is partly to blame.

Buffer capacity for various Nikons and image formats:

One of the things that sold me on the D500 was it's across-the-board 200 frame capacity.

It's also rated as 10 frames per second but I have empirical evidence of at least 13.  This ISS solar transit is 13 frames in 0.93 seconds.

ISS Transit 20200201 Stack_ by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By eracer:
The best is a UHS-III speed class card.  It's the newest tech.  Prepare to pay.

https://www.techspot.com/articles-info/1591/images/2022-11-14-image-4.jpg

View Quote

Where to buy?

Thank you!!
Link Posted: 6/10/2023 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#4]
B&H photo would be a good choice as they are a site supporter.

Adorama, Allen's Camera, Best Buy would be other choices. Just use their search feature for whatever card you decide on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:08:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:

Where to buy?

Thank you!!
View Quote
@Colt_sporter, I've done a good deal of research on this and experimented with several brands and product lines.

SanDisk Extreme Pro is the best balance of performance and price in SD cards.

Sony Tough G is the fastest card I've found.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By tknogeek:
@Colt_sporter, I've done a good deal of research on this and experimented with several brands and product lines.

View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Late to the party....

Card speeds play two roles for cameras.

1. How fast the camera can write to the card. Most of the time it is easy to get cards that easily exceed the speeds of the camera. The camera documentation should tell you the max speed of the camera.

2. Using a card reader, how fast you can get the pictures off the card. This is where the high-speed cards really shine.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 7:54:45 AM EDT
[#8]
It maybe too late, but UHS-II cards won't help a D7100.  UHS-II cards have basically two rows of contacts to speed up the writes/reads, but the D7100 has only the one set for UHS-I cards. A UHS-II card will work, but the speed will be the same as a UHS-I of the same type.  

I really like my D7100, except for the buffer.  It's the camera's Achilles heel.  There isn't much you can do about it.  I've used some SanDisk Extreme Pro cards and Lexar UHS-II and UHS-I cards and they all are about the same speed (in the camera). If you have or will buy another camera that uses UHS-II cards, then buy them, but don't waste your money on them to use in the D7100.
Link Posted: 7/15/2023 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Colt_sporter:

Where to buy?

Thank you!!

+1… I like the Sandisks for home use, for work use we use a combo of the Sandisks and Sony Tough Gs.
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 11:28:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: eracer] [#10]
Originally Posted By FNHP35:
It maybe too late, but UHS-II cards won't help a D7100.  UHS-II cards have basically two rows of contacts to speed up the writes/reads, but the D7100 has only the one set for UHS-I cards. A UHS-II card will work, but the speed will be the same as a UHS-I of the same type.  

I really like my D7100, except for the buffer.  It's the camera's Achilles heel.  There isn't much you can do about it.  I've used some SanDisk Extreme Pro cards and Lexar UHS-II and UHS-I cards and they all are about the same speed (in the camera). If you have or will buy another camera that uses UHS-II cards, then buy them, but don't waste your money on them to use in the D7100.
View Quote

@FNHP35

Thanks for clarifying that and helping OP not waste money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top