Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/27/2021 11:39:57 AM EDT
So is stumbled on this neat shelter half thread in the archives

Link to thread

This got me wondering, as a 17yrs in USAF Pogue (Crew Chief) who's closest  experience in tents was sleeping in TEMPER tents at Warrior Week, working out of a TEMPER tents in Al Udeid and sleeping in an Alaskan shelter for a week in Al Udeid's transient quarters. All of which had AC
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:40:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For individual shelter systems:
LiteFighter Individual Shelter System (I believe this is what the USMC and USCG use)

ORC Improved Combat Shelter (what I was issued in the army)

For large group shelters/TOCs/etc...
Any combo of legacy and modernized tent sysyems
View Quote

I never got issued a tent.

I did hear about guys in airborne units getting tents at RFI, though. I never saw one.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Just find whatever tent leaks the most on the open market, that is the one the US Military will adopt.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
The lite fighter tents are nice. There is also a usmc 2 man tent but it weighs a lot more than the lite fighter.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
We literally just got rid of all our shelter halves here around 6 months ago. We had 1200ish. I would say 90% were brand new in the box.

Sent them to DRMO (I know it has a new name, I don’t care)

They haven’t been a mobility bag requirement in years.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Little light reading on Bare Base and all the other Housekeeping set-ups.

https://static.e-publishing.af.mil/production/1/af_a3_5/publication/afh10-222v2/afh10-222v2.pdf
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Very unit dependent but the lite fighter is becoming more and more popular especially with Covid

prior to that we would do GP mediums or A-frames

TOC would always have some Gio triangular looking pop-up thing that they would break
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Very unit dependent but the lite fighter is becoming more and more popular especially with Covid
View Quote

So the tent is contaminated with covid at no extra charge?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:01:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I was never issued one but I like DRASH tents.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I did hear about guys in airborne units getting tents at RFI, though. I never saw one.
View Quote

I was 11C and never saw a tent until I was clearing CIF.  I honestly didn't know they still existed until I was outprocessing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Our supply got Lite Fighter tents and dished them out to the guys. They're pretty sweet. I still prefer the back of a Stryker, though
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:15:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:17:11 PM EDT
[#15]
LOL that kind of shit wasn't issued while I was in
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Prolly some gender neutral tent

CoC#1 offensive term removed.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:21:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I was 11C and never saw a tent until I was clearing CIF.  I honestly didn't know they still existed until I was outprocessing.
View Quote

Yeah, if we wanted cover, it required tying up a poncho as a shelter. The lucky ones got to sleep in vehicles or headquarters in their GP Medium.

In Iraq we slept in squad GP mediums with the foam sprayed over it then CHUs when we moved to FOB Scania and in Afghanistan in bunkers and reinforced converted shipping containers.

'07-'19
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:31:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was never issued one but I like DRASH tents.
View Quote

The new DRASH modular series, or the old popup DRASH CP tent that came on the generator trailer?   The new ones are neat, we've had them for a few years and they come in different sizes for team, platoon, and CP.  The old one breaks immediately and never gets even remotely close to going back into the bags but everyone likes the trailer because it has a generator and A/C unit.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We literally just got rid of all our shelter halves here around 6 months ago. We had 1200ish. I would say 90% were brand new in the box.

View Quote

What do you sleep under and/or on in the field?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#20]
We had canvas shelter halves when I got 11B in rope loops on one half and your battle buddy had the half with wooden dowels that went through the rope and fastened in theory. They leaked. We put ponchos over them kind of like rain flys are used now. We were encouraged to buy our own tent and take to ftx as long as it was od green. Those canvas shelter halves made nice ground covers when we did our 2 weeks at Bragg sleeping in GP Mediums. If you were lucky you found a spot to set up your cot that didn't leak at the end of the tent to get a little breeze to blow the smoke away.  Those guys won't wake up in the middle of the night to smoke a cigarette. Drove me nuts. I have hated cigarette smoke all my life and chokes me up. Cigarette smokers are some of the most obnoxious people ever don't care about anybody but their habit blowing smoke everywhere. So glad they kicked them out of restaurants and bars. Prices can't get high enough for me. Overseas cartons are labeled as poison and death yet people keep sucking that butt.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:40:47 PM EDT
[#21]
I was issued a shelter half which was turned in in 95.

From 95-2016 never was issued a tent.

Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:50:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

We were issued canvas shelter halves.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#23]
My "tent" was a poncho hootch made with 550 cord and bungees.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
LiteFighter Individual Shelter System (I believe this is what the USMC and USCG use)

View Quote
Damn.  And here I thought my Enhanced Insect Bed Net System (Catoma Tent) was neat.  I like the fact that you can sit up.  Who the hell would have thought of that?
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I spent a few days in a shelter half in a foot of snow in 20 degree temperatures.

I took my boots off and got in my sleeping bag wearing all of my cold weather gear.

And still froze.

No big/little spoon for me. I didn't get that desperate.

Tents were a different issue. Pun intended.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 8:54:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My "tent" was a poncho hootch made with 550 cord and bungees.
View Quote

Same here
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unless you are one of the 5 AFSCs in the Air Force that actually go to the field, 99% of the Air Force isn't going to the field and will not need a shelter half. I'm sure the High speed guys get a tent system issued to them from their organization.

I deployed with the Army twice to Iraq to find and count things and a few times my team and I had to sleep in Intermodal Containers (Sealands) or we strung up a few ponchos if there wasn't room at some of the FOBs we went to. But that was very rare.  

The rest of the Air Force will be billeted in Alaskan tents, CHUs or contingency dorms at the bigger bases in deployed/overseas environment.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#28]
Normally, everything issued to you in the military sucks.  Heavier and bulkier than needed, with an aroma of Eau de QMD.

The light fighter tent, however, is one of the very few items that is near parity with stuff I'd use for civilian backcountry use.

If they made one in bright yellow, it would be on my short list.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 10:42:38 AM EDT
[#29]
I've never been issued a tent, so I bought a LiteFighter off Craigslist. I'm pretty happy with it. Easy setup and packs nicely if you take it out of that retarded bag.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I've never been issued a tent, so I bought a LiteFighter off Craigslist. I'm pretty happy with it. Easy setup and packs nicely if you take it out of that retarded bag.
View Quote
What's wrong with the storage bag?
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:44:19 AM EDT
[#32]
I never got a tent.

I did get a bunch of shit that never came out of my bag that needed to be cleaned when I went to turn it back in though...
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Takes up too much space with all the tent components inside. I can pack the whole tent and components in far less space by dividing it up and packing around the individual components.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:49:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Takes up too much space with all the tent components inside. I can pack the whole tent and components in far less space by dividing it up and packing around the individual components.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see your point but that can be true with anything
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:51:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Those of you who have spent time in a litefighter, how are they?

I've had a couple of chances to get one fairly reasonable, but I don't know anyone with first hand experiences with them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 11:59:32 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've had a couple of chances to get one fairly reasonable, but I don't know anyone with first hand experiences with them.
View Quote

I like mine. Easy setup, easy tear down, packs nice and is waterproof if you don't abuse it and pack it carefully to avoid puncturing it.

It has a lot more room inside than my Catoma EBNS, and the rainfly has plenty of room inside for your ruck and whatnot. I typically use a groundsheet underneath it to minimize getting dirt, grass and other shit inside the tent, and to keep the tent floor from wearing prematurely.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:00:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I see your point but that can be true with anything
View Quote

For sure. I just like to use the bag for other stuff, too. I typically use it as a field expedient laundry bag or to carry sundries like MRE components or shit like that.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:05:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I like mine. Easy setup, easy tear down, packs nice and is waterproof if you don't abuse it and pack it carefully to avoid puncturing it.

It has a lot more room inside than my Catoma EBNS, and the rainfly has plenty of room inside for your ruck and whatnot. I typically use a groundsheet underneath it to minimize getting dirt, grass and other shit inside the tent, and to keep the tent floor from wearing prematurely.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ALL OF THIS, its very nice, light, and fast to set up

You can sit up inside but not put on your boots.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:19:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Very nice tent, zipper on the rainfly can sometimes get caught but otherwise great tent

Link Posted: 6/28/2021 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Damn.  And here I thought my Enhanced Insect Bed Net System (Catoma Tent) was neat.  I like the fact that you can sit up.  Who the hell would have thought of that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have the Litefighters here. They also can be attached to a cot, which is what we have been doing.

For those of you who want one, they can be ordered through Unit Supply.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top