Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]
TIL non-paying members don't know imgur exists.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#2]

What are you going on about?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

I find that disturbing
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because nobody, and I mean NOBODY, wants to put up with the absolute hell that is allowing any free, registered user to upload pictures.  99% of the people are fine, the other 1% make it absolute hell.

When you have to pony up a few bucks, suddenly people get a lot more responsible, and that 1% of people drops to like 0.1%.
View Quote

This reason makes sense and is logical.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I find that disturbing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Particularly since the boob's name is "Bob".  
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:48:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Respectfully, please explain this to me...I can never quite grasp the mindset.

Why do you expect someone else's labor and resources to pay for your entertainment?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, it's not like they'd make money off users in any other way like ads or emails or data harvesting or anything. They definitely need that $24 to pay Amazon, otherwise Brownell’s would go broke.

Why do you expect someone else's labor and resources to pay for your entertainment?

Literally every other forum let's you post pictures whether you have a membership or not... It's a cash grab and you damn well know it
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:50:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I find that disturbing
View Quote
First rule in boob club....
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:53:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:56:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Conveniences are there to encourage people to become paying members and add value to those who do.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Can anyone give me a good reason
View Quote

We are better than you.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Literally every other forum let's you post pictures whether you have a membership or not... It's a cash grab and you damn well know it
View Quote

@BabaYaga777

Again, respectfully: Brownell's is a business and has a moral obligation to provide the highest financial return on their investment as possible, not only for investors, but also for their employees.

Can you define what you mean by "cash grab?"

By definition, if the financial cost of membership or your cost in time sunk viewing ads weren't deemed by both of us to be a fair trade for entertainment, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

What am I missing?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]
You can but it's alot more work.

It's the same reason why you can't tag threads or see the recent threads you posted in with the green taggy thing:

They make using the site more difficult so you pay.
Bad model IMO.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:47:35 PM EDT
[#17]
" />
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It's the same reason why you can't tag threads or see the recent threads you posted in with the green taggy thing:

Bad model IMO.
View Quote

That's like saying automakers don't include cruise control and power windows in base model cars to deliberately make their vehicles less comfortable to use.
It's a service, and like any tiered service, different levels come at different prices with more or less convenience or performance depending on how much you feel like paying.  I started out as a non-paying member, moved up to bronze, and then eventually up to gold because I liked the added features and they were worth the extra $ for me.  Nobody twisted my arm (in fact I believe that's discouraged) to buy or bump up my membership.  Actually I think it's kinda nice that you can choose a level that fits your own budget - even if your budget is $0.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:02:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

When I was a paying member at the bottom there was a tab to upload now it's gone.
View Quote

That’s because you storing the photo on the website.

Gotta pay to have your own slice of the web server for image storing.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:07:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That's like saying automakers don't include cruise control and power windows in base model cars to deliberately make their vehicles less comfortable to use.
It's a service, and like any tiered service, different levels come at different prices with more or less convenience or performance depending on how much you feel like paying.  I started out as a non-paying member, moved up to bronze, and then eventually up to gold because I liked the added features and they were worth the extra $ for me.  Nobody twisted my arm (in fact I believe that's discouraged) to buy or bump up my membership.  Actually I think it's kinda nice that you can choose a level that fits your own budget - even if your budget is $0.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bad model IMO.

Many other website give these features away for free to make the site more friendly to use.

This site doesn't.

They make that up in donations or ads.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#24]
I've never understood why people on here think non-paying members couldn't post images. I did it many times before I became a paying member. Maybe you can't upload images, but you can surely post them. All you need is a link and to click the Image icon in the menu at the top of the message box when you reply.

It's not rocket surgery.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Go here: https://postimages.org/

Click: choose images

Select picture(s)

Click: Hotlink for forums

Paste in text box
View Quote

You are a hero to the poors.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:34:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I am on another forum that i don't pay to be on. I have an avatar, there are no ads, the forum hosts pics for me, I can follow threads, and I can say code words and post memes in their "GD".

I never see any ads here. Never had a membership.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Waste of sight resources.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Site resources, leech.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:56:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#31]
To deprive the paying members?
They can host my ass.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
To deprive the paying members?
They can host my ass.
View Quote
They don't have enough bandwidth for that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 9:10:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right, it's not like they'd make money off users in any other way like ads or emails or data harvesting or anything. They definitely need that $24 to pay Amazon, otherwise Brownell’s would go broke.

So, let's say a person participated in a forum as a non-paying member and wanted to post pics of a how-to project that was useful and of interest to others.  So, they host the images on their own, create a post that generates traffic to the site and let's say becomes popular.  Could be a how to for a mod for a gun, a how to on fixing the suspension on a vehicle, a how to on making something, whatever.  Then a few months or a year later, that person is participating in another forum and goes in and clears photos from their free hosting site to make room for something else and then all the photos from their original post are gone.  Then, people searching for the topic still hit on the post, but it is pretty much useless because the pics are all just red x's.

It happens on a lot of forums as people come and go and it can be a real bummer for a person that was looking for the info only to find a useless post with no photos.  It may not be a huge issue here, but it is at other forums and makes the experience rather poor if it happens a lot.

Although it is easy enough to work around it, some people will just choose not to jump that hurdle and may not post something of interest also.  I am pretty sure a big part of revenues are ad revenues and if you don't keep users engaged and aren't increasing users or at least maintaining them, ad revenues will eventually suffer, so I guess there is that aspect.  I don't care either way what a site does, but the big picture part of it isn't all that hard to see (unless it was hosted on a third party site and subsequently deleted).
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top