Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2021 10:04:00 AM EDT
As a really little kid, I got a puzzle of the United States, and I was fascinated by the Florida piece. When I got a little older, I saw some of Miami Vice in its first run on TV and was absolutely enthralled by the colors and architecture and landscape.

As a young adult, Miami Vice was one of my favorite movies.

I’ve always wanted to go to Florida, and Miami in particular. Was supposed to go last year, but, well, you know. And even if the Sweet N Sour Sicken hadn’t hit, my career decided to completely retool everything, and I literally couldn’t leave.

Consequently, the last time I had two or more days of PTO in a row was November of 19, when I took my wife to Kentucky to tour distilleries.

Now we’re planning to drive down to Florida at the end of September and stay into the middle of October. Along the way I’m leaning heavily towards staying in Kentucky for a 1-2 day stretch to visit the Bardstown, Heaven Hill, and Makers Mark distilleries, hitting George Dickel and Nashville in Tennessee for 2 days. Drive down to the gulf, then follow the coast down to start in St. Petersburg for a bit, then on to Miami.

So far the attractions we’ve planned eating at Crabs On The Beach in Gulf Breeze and Cafe Versailles in Miami, visiting Skallywag Tactical (I’d like to take a training class with my wife there, if possible) in Milton, and staying at the Mandarin Oriental on Brickell Key. Mostly I figure we’ll be staying at cheaper hotels on the edge of the cities and then driving into the cities during the day. That’s how I saved considerable funds when going out west or down to Kentucky.

While I don’t have unlimited funds, this is a once in a lifetime bucket-list-crossing-off trip, and I’m not opposed to spending money to make this trip enjoyable. Personally, I think I'm going to be happy just walking around the city, but I don't think that'll cut it for my wife. Where would you recommend we go?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:05:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Cuban sandwiches, cigars, rum, and cocaine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:19:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Not a fan of Cuban sandwiches, cigars, or cocaine. But thank you for the recommendation.

Any suggestions for places to visit and sights to see?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:10:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Come south at the west end of Florida, take US 98 to see some of the prettiest coastline this continent has to offer.  Of you like saltwater, this is the place to get into it, the Redneck Riveria.  

You can pick up I-75 and come downstate that way, take 4 across and then 95 or the turnoike down to the utter dissapointment that Miami will be.  :)
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#4]
When you are in Miami I recommend you make a day trip drive down the Overseas Highway (US-1) to Key West, especially on a nice and sunny day.  The scenery as you drive down is absolutely gorgeous through the many islands and it is about a 4.5 hour drive to Key West.   Leave early morning at 7am and you can pick up US-1 (Dixie Highway) driving south down Brickell Avenue leaving Brickell Key.  You will be traveling against the traffic flow into downtown Miami and you can be in Key West by lunchtime.  Have lunch just outside Key West at the Hogfish Grill (they have a website with menu and map) on Stock Island.   You can drive around Key West in a big loop or take the tourist trolley for a nice tour of Key West then head back to your Miami hotel for the evening.  It will be a long day but well worth it in my opinion.    
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
From a recent thread, I hear a club near Miami Gardens is spicy.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Learn to take cover, bullets are flying in Miami.
All kind of things to do on the way down, take I-75 and stop in the Tampa area.
Take the ferry out to Egmont key and see Fort Dade, beautiful beach there and you can see the Sunshine Skyway bridge, walk the old brick streets at the fort.
Honeymoon island, Clearwater Beach, Pass-a grille beach, get a Grouper sandwich if it's in season.
Stop at Ybor city in Tampa and eat at the Columbia Restaurant.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Jackie Gleason's Mausoleum is in Miami.
Wife and I stopped there while driving down the coast from NY for our honeymoon.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Jacksonville -Brumos Collection
Daytona - duh it’s Daytona. A lot to see.
Space coast - visit nasa.
Broward - boardwalk (twin peaks)

Miami- stay away from south beach. We locals don’t even go there.
- Everglades. Take a airboat ride.
- drive down to the keys (stop at Robert Was Here) on the way down.
- metro zoo
- little havana walk along 8th street during the day only.
- coconut grove (montys)
- key biscanye (visit the light house and Indian village)
- frost museum in biscanye bay
- visit brickell city center, walk around and grab a drink or eat.

That’s all I got off the top of my head. Have fun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:20:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Biscayne and something like 40th street, Miami Police museum. Can't miss it cop car on the side of the building.  Don't know how bad the area has gotten wasn't good 20 years ago.

Downtown Hollywood, Mauro's Pizza! Open late, and the best damn big ass slice of pizza in Florida!

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're going "in" Miami, practice ducking and finding cover.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:24:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cuban sandwiches, cigars, rum, and cocaine.
View Quote

Women
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:30:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Switch to the Hampton Inn in Brickell.  About 1/4 the price of the Mandarin, better location and it has a GREAT free breakfast.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:32:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not a fan of Cuban sandwiches, cigars, or cocaine. But thank you for the recommendation.

Any suggestions for places to visit and sights to see?
View Quote
The SEAL Museum in Ft. Pierce is pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:08:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Can make a million recommendations for things to see, places to go/eat etc in Miami, but would be helpful if you could narrow it down to what interests you.  Also, why the Mandarin Oriental?  Hard to quickly access anything from that hotel and it’s quite expensive.

I’d have to disagree about a day trip to Key West.  While I love Key West it’s a chore getting there and back and would be a nightmare to do in the span of one day.  Key West is at minimum a weekend trip in itself.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Key biscayne bill Baggs state park beach.
Do you guys like fishing or scuba diving, the water is the best part of being down here. Everglades is fun, take a airboat ride, hold an alligator.   Mandarin is a nice place but there's nicer for better prices, id look hard at anything on key biscayne on a beach.
Coconut grove is a beautiful little village with a small town town with bars and restraunts you can walk to ,good deals on hotels here but no beach access.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:16:03 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, I’ve been to a lot of the Miami Vice filming sites when visiting there. Here you go.

http://www.miamivicelocations.org/

That, and as others have said, take a day trip to Key West.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:17:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Switch to the Hampton Inn in Brickell.  About 1/4 the price of the Mandarin, better location and it has a GREAT free breakfast.
View Quote

Yup.

Mandarin is a bitch to get off that island and there isn’t shit to do on it. You’re literally in the middle of the cluster fuck traffic.  

I would suggest you stay right outside brickell. A coral gables Airbnb is always a good idea or maybe even a coconut grove Airbnb.

Money isn’t an issue if you’re staying in the mandarin so why not live like a local in a sweet house with Airbnb.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:19:18 PM EDT
[#18]
other then a few people running around high on bath salts eating each others faces off .... no
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:22:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Can make a million recommendations for things to see, places to go/eat etc in Miami, but would be helpful if you could narrow it down to what interests you.  Also, why the Mandarin Oriental?  Hard to quickly access anything from that hotel and it's quite expensive.

I'd have to disagree about a day trip to Key West.  While I love Key West it's a chore getting there and back and would be a nightmare to do in the span of one day.  Key West is at minimum a weekend trip in itself.
View Quote

In the summer on a weekday Key West is perfectly doable from Miami.  And it is worth it.  The drive to and from is better than Key West, BTW.   No need to spend a lot of time there.  Walk Duval and be done.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Can make a million recommendations for things to see, places to go/eat etc in Miami, but would be helpful if you could narrow it down to what interests you.  Also, why the Mandarin Oriental?  Hard to quickly access anything from that hotel and it’s quite expensive.

I’d have to disagree about a day trip to Key West.  While I love Key West it’s a chore getting there and back and would be a nightmare to do in the span of one day.  Key West is at minimum a weekend trip in itself.
View Quote

Yeah no kidding. I live in Islamorada and a day trip to KW is an all day deal.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:24:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
other then a few people running around high on bath salts eating each others faces off .... no
View Quote

Everyone should do South Beach at evening time at least once.  It is a freaking zoo, but very entertaining.

The Starbucks on the North end is the dirtiest, nastiest Starbucks I've ever been to.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Do not go to Miami proper..... Jump off the turnpike at any exit,,, go to the closest place to a Cuban sandwich and some Cuban coffee... Jump right back on the turnpike go to key largo..... Everything you need is right there no need to go all the way down to key West
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Brickell Key is fun to jog around, but that's about it plus traffic sucks. I live in Brickell currently and there's quite a few restaurants to choose from, but definitely recommend you try the local cuisine out. If you like coffee, try the Cafe Con Leche with half sugar in the morning and a Colada shot in the afternoon if you're dragging ass

I personally avoid South Beach unless you plan on going to the actual beach just to say you've been on it. I'd make the drive or cycle to Key Biscayne and check out Bill Baggs park. Also.. if you'd like to see alligators up close then rent some bicycles and check out Shark Valley Road in the glades. My friends and I got to see an alligator casually eating a turtle right near the bike path

There's still a lot I myself haven't seen due to work and the rona so wish I could help you out more.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

This. Brickell Key is fun to jog around, but that's about it plus traffic sucks. I live in Brickell currently and there's quite a few restaurants to choose from, but definitely recommend you try the local cuisine out. If you like coffee, try the Cafe Con Leche with half sugar in the morning and a Colada shot in the afternoon if you're dragging ass

I personally avoid South Beach unless you plan on going to the actual beach just to say you've been on it. I'd make the drive or cycle to Key Biscayne and check out Bill Baggs park. Also.. if you'd like to see alligators up close then rent some bicycles and check out Shark Valley Road in the glades. My friends and I got to see an alligator casually eating a turtle right near the bike path

There's still a lot I myself haven't seen due to work and the rona so wish I could help you out more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I call it Bilbo Baggins State Park.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL I think everyone does!
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh yeah.  Go hang out at the Intercontinental in Miami.   Very cool lobby, good drinks and it is where all the South American flight attendants stay.  When they are leaving they walk out in uniform.  

Let's just say the hiring standards are different than American airlines.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:47:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I remember another one.   A bit north of Miami, but you can hit it on your way down after the SEAL Museum.  

Hurricane Grill and Bar makes GREAT burgers.   And the best Hurricane is right at the jetty in Ft. Pierce.  

Don't worry the Hutchinson Island part of Ft. Pierce is perfectly safe.

Oh and bring lots of high % deet spray.  No see ums are deadly.   At one time I counted over 120 bites on my person.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#28]
Skip Miami and go to the keys.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I could post a shit ton stuff from Little Havana to Coconut Grove Marina but Florida residents will probably post what you need to know. I think they’ll agree Bill Baggs state park is worth a afternoon sunset
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:14:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

We like shopping malls, museums, downtown areas, and local food/drink. When I was in Kentucky I spent a day wandering Lexington and Louisville downtowns each. When I was in Denver for 4 days, it was 10 hours a day of walking the downtown and surrounding areas.

The wife isn’t a big fan of sit-on-the-beach-and-read-a-book, though we wouldn’t be opposed to walking a few beaches or hiking some beauty scenery.

I’m going to be down there up to 2-3 weeks, so if Key West is necessary to see, I’m all for it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#31]
I wouldn’t wish a trip to Miami on very many people.

*Lived in So. FL for 10 years.

Dibs on your stuff OP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I wouldn’t wish a trip to Miami on very many people.

*Lived in So. FL for 10 years.

Dibs on your stuff OP.
View Quote

Lies! OP will love Liberty City, Miami traffic and no free parking anywhere
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:33:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

We like shopping malls, museums, downtown areas, and local food/drink. When I was in Kentucky I spent a day wandering Lexington and Louisville downtowns each. When I was in Denver for 4 days, it was 10 hours a day of walking the downtown and surrounding areas.

The wife isn't a big fan of sit-on-the-beach-and-read-a-book, though we wouldn't be opposed to walking a few beaches or hiking some beauty scenery.

I'm going to be down there up to 2-3 weeks, so if Key West is necessary to see, I'm all for it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can make a million recommendations for things to see, places to go/eat etc in Miami, but would be helpful if you could narrow it down to what interests you.  Also, why the Mandarin Oriental?  Hard to quickly access anything from that hotel and it's quite expensive.

I'd have to disagree about a day trip to Key West.  While I love Key West it's a chore getting there and back and would be a nightmare to do in the span of one day.  Key West is at minimum a weekend trip in itself.

The wife isn't a big fan of sit-on-the-beach-and-read-a-book, though we wouldn't be opposed to walking a few beaches or hiking some beauty scenery.

I'm going to be down there up to 2-3 weeks, so if Key West is necessary to see, I'm all for it.
Sounds like you like doing the same stuff my wife and I like to do.

You will love walking around Brickell and Downtown Miami.

Brickell have City Center which is a cool open air mall.  

Sawgrass Mills is outside Miami on the edge of the glades.  It is a huge mall and pretty cool.  It is neat to see the S. Americans come in and buy empty luggage to fill up with stuff and take back down South.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Add the Corvette museum when you make it to Ky.

I'd also recommend taking the Evan Williams tour in downtown Louisville and picking up a bottle of the 23 year they have there.

It is pretty similar to PVW 20.

Making a run to the Marathon Automobiles building in Nashville where Antique Archaeology has a store is pretty cool too.  There are other shops there to visit.

Since you're going to be down in Miami, you might make a run up to Titusville and drive by Knight's Armament too
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:55:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Hey OP, don't let all these guys scare you about the crime and shootouts down here.  As long as you stay out of the obviously vibrant ghetto areas you won't have any problems.  I have lived here almost my entire life and have only been in 3 shoot outs and only mugged 4 times so no more dangerous than any other large city.  (The previous sentence was all bullshit).  

The drive to Key West I recommended is about the DRIVE itself and the ocean scenery.  Key West itself is a tourist trap ruined by the cruise ships and you can see everything there just driving around in a couple of hours.  A day trip is easily doable and I have done it a couple of dozen of times as part of my previous employment before retiring.  Just do it during the week and not on a weekend, especially a holiday weekend.   I hope you are bringing a bathing suit with you.  Detour to John Pennekamp Park at Key Largo if you don't want to drive all the way down to Key West but make sure you at least drive down and over the 7 mile bridge after passing through Marathon Key before turning back.  You can take a snorkeling trip at John Pennekamp if you like that kind of activity.  If you make it across the 7 mile bridge into Big Pine Key take a detour through the residential areas on Big Pine Key and keep a look out for the Key Deer walking around.  The smallest deer in the USA and used to being around people.   Very protected species and only found there.  

If you decide to take an airboat ride in the Glades stay away from the airboat tourist places like Coopertown and Safari Park where they put 30 people on a boat.  Keep driving west and take a ride on one of the small 2 to 4 person airboats within the Miccossukee reservation along US-41.  You can visit Shark Valley at Everglades National Park if you like because the entrance is right there along 41.   I would also recommend continuing to drive west on 41 through the heart of the Big Cypress Swamp if you like.  Take a detour through Loop Road right at the 40 mile bend as soon as you pass the very tall cell towers where you will see many hunters park there airboat trailers and put there boats in.  There is signage at the entrance to Loop Road.  Loop Road is a hard pack gravel road with lots of swamp scenery and will take you out again at 41 about 20 miles or so further west from where you entered.  If you keep driving west when you hit 41 again keep driving and have lunch at Everglades city.  Make a left at the flashing light at the intersection of Highway 41 and Highway 29.   Take 29 south a few miles to Everglades City and Chokoloskee.   You can have a very long day and do all that if you start early morning and be back in your hotel by evening.  Or just spend the night at Everglades City.  

I am very familiar with the Big Cypress swamp since I have  hunted out there my whole life and still do.  If you have any other questions just post away.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Go to Nusr-Et in Miami and order a Tomahawk Ribeye and a Sprite.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:23:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Stop in at Miami police headquarters and say hello to chief Assevedo.  
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Great suggestions, y’all, thank you. I’ve added a bunch of stuff to our itinerary. Keep ‘‘em coming!

Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#39]
If you're heading to the Gulf via Alabama, stop by the Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#40]
Duck and cover in miami. New asswipe police chief there now. Transplanted from shithole houston, austin, and california.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:01:26 AM EDT
[#41]
Miami is a third world shithole.

Plenty of other nice places in Florida to visit instead.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:31:56 AM EDT
[#42]
I heard the golden tomahawk steak at #SaltBae is a good eat at an affordable price.

Dont order the expresso though, not worth it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Great suggestions, y'all, thank you. I've added a bunch of stuff to our itinerary. Keep ''em coming!

View Quote

OP, you mentioned liking the Miami Vice TV series and movie so here is something that might be of interest to you:

https://www.thrillermiami.com/

A nice speedboat ride around the Miami Beach islands, the cruise ships, Government Cut out to South Beach, etc.  It operates right out of Bayside Marketplace which is just a few blocks north from Brickell Key where you will be staying right by the bay downtown next to Bayfront Park.  Not too expensive either and will be a nice experience with some great scenery. Check out their website in the link I posted along with their reviews.

You also mentioned being down here through mid October which is when the Columbus Day Regatta takes place.  If you can secure a boat ride from a local to take you down to Elliot Key for the festivities you will see plenty of beautiful topless women on many of the boats and lots of drinking, music, dancing and debauchery on all the boats that will be partying and anchored down there.  About a 30 to 40 minute power boat ride out from Crandon Park marina or Mattheson Hammock marina, depending on the boat speed.   In any event you should be able to see Elliot Key island land mass from the top floor of your hotel with binoculars, Stiltsville out on the bay just offshore from Key Biscayne and the lighthouse on Baggins park.    
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Do yourself a favor and go to Disney then leave! Miami is not for the faint of heart or Northerners with any moral code!
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:42:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The SEAL Museum in Ft. Pierce is pretty good.
View Quote

It is.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I remember another one.   A bit north of Miami, but you can hit it on your way down after the SEAL Museum.  

Hurricane Grill and Bar makes GREAT burgers.   And the best Hurricane is right at the jetty in Ft. Pierce.  

Don't worry the Hutchinson Island part of Ft. Pierce is perfectly safe.

Oh and bring lots of high % deet spray.  No see ums are deadly.   At one time I counted over 120 bites on my person.
View Quote

This. It’s also a nice drive when you take north Hutchinson up past the Sebastian inlet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top