BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My wife had to have an outdoor wedding in July in the south. Everyone was miserable in the heat except 2 people - my 80 year old grandmother and my wife's 90+ year old old great great uncle. Both were wearing long sleeves including dress coats or jackets and the heat didn't seem to phase them.
View Quote

Lol that is called poor blood circulation. I bet they were extremely cold during the winter ??. All jokes aside I wear long sleeves when working outside in the humid south and always have. The sweat cools better.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:02:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Long sleeve shirts are much cooler than short sleeves in the summer.

I wear wrangler western  khaki shirts or blue denim.  Sometimes I wear FR shirts which are even thicker.

I wear rain brim hard hats even when I don’t have too to stay cool.

I have filson wool packer hats but they don’t have enough air flow for south Texas heat.
View Quote

You are correct, light and loose sleeves will keep a person cooler than short sleeves that let the sun heat your skin.

The other side of long and loose sleeves is that they can get caught in machinery. The old generation did have a reputation for missing fingers and hands.

As agriculture and the blue collar trades mechanized long sleeves lost popularity.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:14:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

You are correct, light and loose sleeves will keep a person cooler than short sleeves that let the sun heat your skin.

The other side of long and loose sleeves is that they can get caught in machinery. The old generation did have a reputation for missing fingers and hands.

As agriculture and the blue collar trades mechanized long sleeves lost popularity.
View Quote

Part of the advantage, vs t-shirts, is the air circulation between buttons. I used to get some strange looks combining. (back when combines were all open station) I'd wear a light colored hoodie with the hood pulled up tight. It wasn't really that much hotter and I didn't get all the chaff down my collar.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:14:35 PM EDT
[#4]
As was stated earlier, when JFK was elected he didn't wear a hat. That was the beginning of the end, of hat wearing. Also, with the addition of the free ball caps with advertising, it didn't make sense or cents, to purchase a hat. If you look at the family pictures in the 1960s, hat wearing was going out of style. Back in the 1930s and 40s hat wearing along with ties were a part of a man's attire.

Mobjack
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

7th post nailed it!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
When feed, seed, fertilizer, tractor and implement companies started giving away logoed baseball caps to their customers it spelled the end of farmers spending money to buy fedoras.

7th post nailed it!

When I was a kid I had a Super Crost hat my grandpa gave me. When I got older I bought myself a fedora because it reminded me of him.
Still have the fedora, I'd kill for a Super Crost trucker hat.
So get both.
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

When I was a kid I had a Super Crost hat my grandpa gave me. When I got older I bought myself a fedora because it reminded me of him.
Still have the fedora, I'd kill for a Super Crost trucker hat.
So get both.
View Quote

eBay

They have green ones too
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:02:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Maybe kill was too strong a word.
Fair to good, 35 bucks

I might have to pick up a patch and sew it to some velcro.

I'll have to do a better search. I never would have thought they'd be out there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
JFK,  didn't wear hats, killed the habadashery, that's why the Hatters Society had him killed.
View Quote

First Kennedy conspiracy theory I have heard that makes sense.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:25:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I really don't know what this hat is that my granddad is wearing. It might have started life as a fedora.

Attachment Attached File

About 1948 but knowing him goodness knows how long he owned it. He seldom threw anything away though he retired it for this Jones style hat in the 60s. He wore a straw hat in the Summer.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:30:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In related news I just ordered another one of these as my old one is starting to look a little ratty, great summer hat.

http://content.backcountry.com/images/items/900/COL/COL3771/NATA.jpg
View Quote

That's the perfect summer hat right there.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:31:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

My grandfather was like cigar store Indian brown lol... No idea how he didn't die from skin cancer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're in the sun everyday, you need to wear long sleeves and a hat. I'm not talking about the work softball game all day, I mean sun up to sun down from when you could walk to when you couldn't outside in the sun. Your skin won't last like that in the open. Not many people live like that anymore

My grandfather was like cigar store Indian brown lol... No idea how he didn't die from skin cancer.

Sun is good for you.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:36:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most of the ranchers I know only where their cowboy hats while hating or going do social events.

It's usually ball caps on the warm days, Stormy Kromers on the cold ones.
View Quote

I could see hating this one...

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#13]
around here it is usually straw hats for farmers working outside. Amish rubbed off on everyone, and they are pretty practical hats in general.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:05:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I bet I have 50 or 60 farming ball caps in a box somewhere.  Both of my grandpas farmed, and my dad farmed until I was 14.  John Deere, seed corn brands, chemical brands, etc.
Mom's dad wore straw hats gardening or around the cabin, but on the farm it was ball caps.  He was a seed rep himself.
Dad's dad wore ball caps around the farm, he was also a gunsmith and a vet so more hunting & shooting brand hats besides the normal stuff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
JFK,  didn't wear hats, killed the habadashery, that's why the Hatters Society had him killed.
View Quote

This right there, minus the last part.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:14:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Reminds me of my wife's grandfather. Worked on heavy machinery until the day he died. Wore overalls and a fedora. Great guy, miss him a lot.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:17:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Both my wife’s father and grandpa wore straw as well as my grandpa.  Her’s in CA, mine in KS and MO
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#19]
All my depression era family members wore wide brimmed straw sun hats. There is a picture of me somewhere in work boots, overalls and a straw sun hat in I would guess the early 80s.

I think the difference was they lived on a "farm" and lived pretty much the same life style their entire lives. They got indoor plumbing and electricity in 1954. The 2nd floor of the old farm house didn't have electricity untill the early 2000s when I put it in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#20]
That wasn’t a farmer thing in the 50’s, that was a man thing in the 50’s.

In the Dakotas when I was growing up, the ranchers wore cowboy hats and the farmers wore seed company ball caps.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]
I wear a straw hat and a long sleeve Columbia PFG shirt working in the greenhouse and when out moving the chicken tractors here in VA. Living at the beach, there's plenty of people in their 30s already dealing with skin issues and skin cancer from being young and invincible. I don't play with the sun and keep covered.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top