Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:48:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I think, 10 or 12....around the 5th time we started a grass fire. Luckily we only burned 1/4th of an acre and not the whole house.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It isn't a law, if there is a report of a child left alone, under 12 it will get investigated. Happened to two people I know.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
12 is kinda what the state says is ok.
NJ has a law about this?
It isn't a law, if there is a report of a child left alone, under 12 it will get investigated. Happened to two people I know.
My buddy's neighbor MILF asked him to watch her kids for a couple of days while she went on a whoreventure.
Said kids (12 and 14) snuck out in the middle of the night and vandalized a school. They got caught.

Cops wanted to try to charge my buddy for the damage that the kids did as well as for "contributing to the delinquency of minors". Buddy was 17 at the time.
Then they tried to pin her (the MILF) for child neglect for leaving the kids with a minor.
She (MILF) wound up on the hook for the damages her spawn caused then she tried to turn around and sue my buddy's parents for it.
Was a complete shitshow.

Supposedly in CA, children cannot be left alone at any age, nor can they legally be left in the charge of another minor.
Dunno if true or not.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:52:30 PM EDT
[#3]
FPNI
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Do not remember the exact age but it was about two weeks before my brother and I burned the neighbors garage down playing with matches in the alley.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Unattended, probably 4th grade.
At 37 my mother still won't stop bothering me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:01:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Unattended, probably 4th grade.
At 37 my mother still won't stop bothering me.
View Quote
Unless she had you at <19, you're still her legal responsibility.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I was home many times all day by myself in kindergarten. That age range is 5-6 I think. I used to watch tv all day long. No wonder I’m messed up.

And now my dad won’t leave his damn dog alone for more than a few hours.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]
6 or 7
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When we went to the grand canyon.

My dad and mom, Mr. & Mrs. Nunnemaker were terrible parents.
View Quote
How was that roadflare ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my first dirt bike when I was 6, my brother was 7 and we would take off and go riding for an hour or two. I guess that counts.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:06:57 PM EDT
[#11]
It was 1976 and I was 6, with my sister in the park...she was a toddler and busted her lip on the seesaw.

My mom was down the street in some hippy midwife class and I didn’t remember what street.

I picked up my sister and knocked on the nearest door and asked ‘hey, a little help here’.

For you local Austinites, it was Shipe park over by 45th, Speedway and Duval...good times.

ETA: ‘75
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Hard to remember, but I think I was 7 or so.
I had a chemistry set, loved fireworks, and made my own gunpowder.
My parents worried that I would burn the house down.
Never did. Hell, I got both eyes and all my fingers and toes.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
grew up feral
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:18:09 PM EDT
[#14]
At a friends house, his mom left us alone at seven or eight.  He then showed me his dads Playboy's, pretty sure all that ended when we lit the school woods on fire across the street.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:27:48 PM EDT
[#15]
August 12 1956. I was 7. It was the last that I saw them. The orphanage was not too bad.

Sounds like a good movie. Actually I had great parents and I have no idea when they first left me alone.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I thought that was light liquor. Like vodka was ok but not dark rum.
View Quote
Light cigarettes too, the filters safen them up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:29:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I think I was like 7 or 8 years old. Had my trusty BB gun to protect the house, haha
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:37:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Another latchkey kid. Went to a daycare before and after school 1st & 2nd grade. First trial leaving me alone was 3rd grade. Was OK until summer. My mom worked all day and I started getting in trouble, so she hired a sitter to stay with me. Another trial alone for 4th grade, and I walked a mile to and from school, sun, snow, rain. Same thing when summer came (burning Transformers in the sink, BB gun mania in the apartment, breaking stuff, etc.) and I was sent to a sitter for summer. We moved late in the school year in 5th grade and I rode my bike across town instead of changing schools. Summer came again and so did trouble, mom had enough and started putting her foot to my ass. Cleaned my act up (mostly) and was left home alone from 6th grade on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Well lets see..

I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. My birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, and came across a blood soaked baby, moi. They raised me to be evil. You know, that old chestnut.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Is 4 too young? What if I bring a cel phone to the bar?
View Quote
Shit, my old man took me to the bar. But I was 5.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:49:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Probably about 6 or 7 for short periods of time.

But I was a weird kid and was pretty much an adult my whole life.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#22]
I became a latchkey kid in 3rd grade.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
I think I was 10?..
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#24]
About 9, after school, and better have had the chores done or the belt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:54:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Well lets see..

I never knew my birth parents. There was a car accident. My birth mother was incinerated, and I only survived because her smoking carcass had formed a protective cocoon of slaughtered human effluence. A Belgian man and his fifteen year-old love slave were looting the accident scene, and came across a blood soaked baby, moi. They raised me to be evil. You know, that old chestnut.

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink, he would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Some times he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy, the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical, summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds, pretty standard really. At the age of 12 I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen, a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum, it's breathtaking, I suggest you try it.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 8:57:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I became a latchkey kid in 3rd grade.
View Quote
Ditto.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:04:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I made a big mistake when I was young in being more responsible than either of my parents or my older sister.

I have very few memories of my mother. She was sick with lupus since not long after I could string a sentence together. My sister hated me, and everyone else so she was always off doing... Something. My father was mostly out of the picture except the occasional weekend trip and whenever Mum would have money trouble. Which was fairly often.

Babylon 5: Londo and G'Kar - The shelter within

I suppose this sums up my situation as well as anything can. Kinda odd to see yourself in a character like Londo.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Probably 7or 8. Frequently with my slightly older cousin. Not really alone, technically. Our grandmother was in the upstairs apt, but we were frequently playing outside with neighborhood kids or in our own yard.
I think we were walking downtown to the movie theater not long after that.
Outdoor roller rink across town probably starting about 10- 12 years old.

The safety of small town America in the 70's. Good times, good times...
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:44:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Doesn't matter people kept bringing me back home from the Goodwill Store.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:46:07 PM EDT
[#30]
i was 12 when they left me alone for first time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 9:46:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 10:12:08 PM EDT
[#32]
When I was 12 my parents left town for a week.  When I was 16, my Dad went to Japan for a month.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
I left them
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:18:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Around 8-9, my father worked nights and my mom evenings, so there was about 45 minutes in between my dad leaving for work and my mom arriving from home.  However, my brother was 12-13 at the time so it really wasn't a big deal.  My dad would tell use to go to sleep, leave, and then we would wait 5-10 minutes and raid the fridge and watch the 10pm syndication broadcast of The Simpsons.

I stayed home by myself without my brother when I was around 12-13.  I also stayed home and took care of my younger brother during the summer too.

My younger brother stayed home by himself around the same age.
Link Posted: 8/23/2019 11:20:10 PM EDT
[#35]
I’m sure that’s fine, lock the liquor cabinet on the way out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 1:12:35 AM EDT
[#36]
10 ish.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 1:42:53 AM EDT
[#37]
Hell, I'm not sure.  I was 13 when they left for the weekend.

Then again, I wouldn't trust my parents to watch my kids, so there is that.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 1:53:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Parents never left home except to go to the store and church and always took me with them so I wasn't ever left alone that I can remember until I was eleven when they dropped me off in town to hitchhike to the other side of the state to go to school.  I remember not being scared at all until I suddenly was terrified.z
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 2:00:27 AM EDT
[#39]
3rd grade coming home from school. How old is that, I don't remember
My mother would get out of work at 6:00 pm

I would try to cook dinner for my self and younger sister
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 2:02:37 AM EDT
[#40]
I can remember standing on a chair cooking eggs and grilled cheeses. No phone to call anyone , just a neighbor next door if I had an emergency.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 2:08:08 AM EDT
[#41]
When I was about six years old...my mama took me on a trip to the city.  We went to one of those big old department stores...and I got lost.  They tried to page her,
but the PA system was on the fritz.  I never saw my mama again.  People from the cosmetics department fed me a bowl of soup and some bread.  Days stretched into weeks.  One February, they got pretty jammed up during the semiannual Lincoln's Birthday sale and they asked me to help out in Preteen Maternity. Then one day I overheard
a conversation in Personnel.....
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 2:12:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can remember standing on a chair cooking eggs and grilled cheeses. No phone to call anyone , just a neighbor next door if I had an emergency.
View Quote
I mostly would make  French toast or some type of pasta with jar spaghetti sauce for us.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 2:56:24 AM EDT
[#43]
I dont remember exactly qhen5, but somewhere between 8-10 for sure.  They had bowling night (sometimes I'd go, other times not).  Usually it was "here is a *vhs* movie and some pizza and I was set.

I remember going to Hawaii with them as a kid.  Dont remember shit but I do remember bringing my Nintendo and played Nintendo all afternoon while they went sight seeing.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 3:08:11 AM EDT
[#44]
They haven't yet.
Link Posted: 8/24/2019 10:36:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Is 4 too young? What if I bring a cel phone to the bar?
View Quote
We have 4 year old twin grandsons. You can’t even take your eyes off of them for 30 seconds, much less leave them alone!
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top