Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll go 5 years, the rubber gets too hard.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Phineas7:
Good thread!

I have an old Jeep that I only drive on occasion, maybe 1000-1500 miles a years

It's stored in my basement shop, that is semi-climate controlled (heat and AC, but not kept like a normal living area (upper 50's to upper 70's)

The tires are 25 years old, but look fine.

Can you tell by looking at a tire if it has "dry rot"?
View Quote

If it’s that bad, yes. But then it’s hit a dangerous level.

Where you can’t tell dry rot, is where the tread is vulcanized to the tire.  If that starts to dry, that’s how you get road gators from semi trucks or even cars.  Where the tread separates off.  

That’s why recaps have a more limited time frame of use.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By RhinelandArms:
Discount tire told my wife 10 years I think?

I think it also depends on location/climate conditions.
View Quote

Conditions play a lot into how long the tires last. I keep all of my trailers under cover and out of the sun.  I also keep them inflated according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. You must adjust your tire pressure during the season shifts due to temperature changes. Running tires under or over inflated will significantly lower your tire life.

If you get a tire that develops small leaks or goes flat, or starts to show cracks, it is a sign you need to replace the tire.
My tires last a good 6 to 10 years without any problems.

With modern TPMS on vehicles today, it is easy to monitor correct tire pressure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Tires are actually very complex, and different rubber compounds are used in the layers.    Antioxidants specifically developed for application are part of the story.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:57:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Caeser2001] [#5]
Originally Posted By spidey07:

I want to keep her safe. I’m thinking I just replace them all due to age. Tires are the greatest safety your car has.
View Quote

There's your answer. What's more important? The wife or not spending $800 on tires.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Ohio_Bill:
NTSB says replace after 6 years
View Quote

^THIS
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#7]
6 year maximum life
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:11:29 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

This. I was just in there and they had a big chart. 7-10 years was the "danger zone".
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
Generally 7 years.

I think Michelin says 10 on thiers.

Blowouts on RVs are common due to Age.

I have driven a Combine with 35 year old drive tires that the tube was visible through the outer case separation. I lived.
View Quote

gotta get a set of new tires to replace a set of Michelin’s that barely have 20k miles on them, and not even 4 years old. The treadlife doesn’t look great, and the walls have a bunch of cracks in them. 🤑
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:13:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mrmissem:
This is of interest for me as I have a 7 year old truck with just over 23k on the clock. I figure I will have to replace tires that still have a lot of tread. Figured that will be when I start to see dry cracking on the sidewalls. Has not happened yet.
View Quote

Don’t forget to check for cracks between the tread blocks too.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Here in AZ, sunlight and heat take a toll on tires at a greater rate that in the Midwest.   Out here, the rule of thumb is 6-8 years is the point where the rubber is hardened (or cracked or both) to the point that the tires are no longer able to do their intended job.

Tire shops have instruments to measure the durometer (squishy-ness) of the rubber, and can help determine when a tire is too dry to do it's job.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:18:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By gunnut003:

Don’t forget to check for cracks between the tread blocks too.
View Quote

10-4. Will do. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#13]

IMHO you just saved yourself a bad trailer accident.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rgaper:
Funny timing on this thread.  

I was looking at my boat (saltwater) trailer this week after a trip and despite the tires being in visually good shape, I noticed they were 2014 manufacture date... older than the boat.  I ordered a new pair and put them on tonight.

Coincidentally, our travel trailer is a 2019 and was dropped off at the dealer today for annual service for a "lifetime" warranty.  I asked about the tires and the service guy said they recommend 3 years on heavy use and 6 years on moderate use unless there is obvious damage or wear.  Most common issue resulting in failure within those guidelines is under inflation.  That's what I was told at least.

Absolutely this. Bro took the boat 2ish hours away for a day trip. One tire blew out… drove to the roadside to swap it out with a spare… 30mins after I left with bad tire,

-[thinks to self], “I wonder when the other tire will blow?”

-[cell phone rings]

I stopped at the closest Discount Tire and bought 2 rims/Carlisle tires and ended up spending the day at a lake.🤷‍♂️
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Just looked at mine. In between the treads looks good. No cracks and the rubber still feels plyable. On the sidewall I had to look close to see them, there are some small cracks just up from the bead all the way around the tire. Guess I need to start tire shopping. The tires are Good Year Wranglers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
My old 1994 Nissan hardbody rarely gets driven. Son was driving it, luckily slow on a dirt road, tire popped. I wish I had looked at the date on tire before replacing. But I think over 10 years old.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:39:33 PM EDT
[#16]

It’s not her. It’s me. My job is take care of the cars. We drive so little now a days I’ll just replace them. I was mainly asking about age. We all know about tread depth.
View Quote

It might be worth it for your sanity, then

Personally I’m going to look at condition, such as cracking, and performance on dry pavement.  If there’s slippage under hard to moderate acceleration, abnormal sliding or squealing on hard turns, or you notice traction control weirdly kicking in (and not related to mechanical issues) then they’re too dry and need to be replaced
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#17]
My VW tires will not make 4 years.  Tires break down to the point that they literally can not hold air (micro pin holes) or they separate (blow out).  I could replace single offending tires - but since they are age related break downs, sometimes I just feel it's safest to replace the set.  2 of the last 4 sets were blowouts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:41:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#18]
Originally Posted By housewolf:
@Phineas7
See my post above. Those tires looked fine. They were hard as a rock and had zero grip. Very dangerous.

Since my "incident" I've learned softer rubber found in high performance tires will actually get harder than a more conventional tire will over time.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By housewolf:
Originally Posted By Phineas7:
Good thread!

I have an old Jeep that I only drive on occasion, maybe 1000-1500 miles a years

It's stored in my basement shop, that is semi-climate controlled (heat and AC, but not kept like a normal living area (upper 50's to upper 70's)

The tires are 25 years old, but look fine.

Can you tell by looking at a tire if it has "dry rot"?
@Phineas7
See my post above. Those tires looked fine. They were hard as a rock and had zero grip. Very dangerous.

Since my "incident" I've learned softer rubber found in high performance tires will actually get harder than a more conventional tire will over time.

When you can spin the 31” rear tires on a 99 Pathfinder when taking off from an intersection in a ever so slight drizzle, you know the tires are old, hard, and have no traction and need to be change.

[pathfinder being gutless and all that.]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#19]

Absolutely this. Bro took the boat 2ish hours away for a day trip. One tire blew out… drove to the roadside to swap it out with a spare… 30mins after I left with bad tire,

-[cell phone rings]

I stopped at the closest Discount Tire and bought 2 rims/Carlisle tires and ended up spending the day at a lake.🤷‍♂️
View All Quotes

I was looking at my boat (saltwater) trailer this week after a trip and despite the tires being in visually good shape, I noticed they were 2014 manufacture date... older than the boat.  I ordered a new pair and put them on tonight.

Coincidentally, our travel trailer is a 2019 and was dropped off at the dealer today for annual service for a "lifetime" warranty.  I asked about the tires and the service guy said they recommend 3 years on heavy use and 6 years on moderate use unless there is obvious damage or wear.  Most common issue resulting in failure within those guidelines is under inflation.  That's what I was told at least.

-[cell phone rings]

Of all the blowouts I encounter in the road 9/10 are trailers.  And the hubs fail. When they’re towing hay.  Then the huge fire. Then their 200k boat is on fire. All over tires and wheel hubs.

I’m serious. I drove 150 miles round trip to work for 15 years. Every fucking time it was a trailer. I once saw a brand new 911 going up in flames because he ran over the hay bails in the road.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:55:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gunnut003] [#20]

Of all the blowouts I encounter in the road 9/10 are trailers.  And the hubs fail. When they’re towing hay.  Then the huge fire. Then their 200k boat is on fire. All over tires and wheel hubs.

I’m serious. I drove 150 miles round trip to work for 15 years. Every fucking time it was a trailer. I once saw a brand new 911 going up in flames because he ran over the hay bails in the road.
View All Quotes

-[cell phone rings]

Yeah if buying a used trailer, it’s probably wise to factor in new hubs/tire price into the selling/buying price
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:58:55 PM EDT
[#21]
6 is ideal.
10 is max limit if it’s on an occasional around town beater or spare.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:07:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar_mcadams] [#22]
10 years

I know from personal experience .   I had to leave a bay boat 100 miles from home at a guys house because I had 12 year old tires with like new tread on them.  Two blow outs within 2 miles of each other and one spare tire.   The manager at Firestone and Discount tire both   told me 10 years is the max.
And this boat is mostly kept in a garage .
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:12:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BolivarBill] [#23]
2013 date stamp, 63000 miles.
Took a look after reading this thread. I noticed a few cracks a while ago, it's a bit worse now, LOL.
Next trip will be to the tire store.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BolivarBill:
2013 date stamp, 63000 miles.
Took a look after reading this thread. I noticed a few cracks a while ago, it's a bit worse now, LOL.
Next trip will be to the tire store.

https://i.imgur.com/P1VqFq2.jpg?1
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By CarbideCandy:
6 is ideal.
10 is max limit if it’s on an occasional around town beater or spare.
View Quote

Have a small pickup for around the house stuff, 14yr old USA Yokohamas. Yes cracked and such but it isn’t taken on the road.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Really depends on climate, if the vehicle has been stored indoors or outdoors, etc.   Some tires have an Ozone barrier in the rubber to help slow down the aging process.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#27]
View Quote

So does GMC.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:53:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LexConcord:
I WISH I could replace my wife’s tires due to age, and not wear.  Her C43  went through tires 4:1 compared to brakes . Thankfully, we just traded that in on an SUV.

Mine just get torn up on jobsites.  
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/503720/IMG_3831-3204814.jpg

Think I can plug it?  
View Quote

I thought that was a plug.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote

so we should trust the government?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:55:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By icecold1:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By icecold1:

Trust the science
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Any longer than 8 years and you are on borrowed time. Most tire shops will NOT service any repairs on tires older than 5-6years.

Old tires are for poors. Swap the shit before you have an accident.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:03:43 PM EDT
[#32]
The tires on my 3500# rated trailer are 10 years old (always parked on cement) and I pulled over 2000#’s in it today. I was kinda nervous about it but they’re not cracked/dry rotted at all.

The tires on my Xterra are close to 10 years old (nexxan) and show very little signs of cracking.

I have never replaced tires due to wear, always age, and the off brand tires always seem to last the longest.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:06:42 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

This September I'll have 7 years on the tires on my Tundra, but only 31,439 miles. They still look good (Michelin).
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:39:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Before this happens
" />
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#35]

Yeah if buying a used trailer, it’s probably wise to factor in new hubs/tire price into the selling/buying price
View All Quotes

-[cell phone rings]

Yup. When I bought my boat I negotiated price based on "it clearly needs a new axle and hubs, who knows what else."  I'm still puzzled that the marine shop who did the work said the tires were fine.  Ultimately that's on me, not him, but I parked that comment in my mental checklist.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:07:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Dale007:
I always marvel at the power of public relations companies. There is no such thing as age on tires except maybe 10 or 15 years. Tips used to be 10% until the national restaurant association starting spreading news stories that tips at restaurants should be 20%. Guess what they are now?
View Quote

I would also question how tires are being made now vs 20+ years ago.

I have an 83 GMC pickup, probably driven less than 100 miles per year.  

Dad has a 95 GMC pickup, probably gets 1K per year at most.  

Point being, not a lot of miles either way.

In 2008 Dad bought some new Michelins for the 95.  I took the old Coopers he took off of the 95 and put them on the 83.  When the Michelins hit about 10 years the sidewalls were visibly and seriously cracking and we replaced them.   This isn't little bitty cracks, this is big chunks of rubber you could pick out with your finger.

Coopers are still fine.  They gotta be pushing 25-30 years old.   The 83 pretty much never gets over 25mph so haven't been in any hurry to replace them.

I've run 25+ year old BFG AT's and MT's as well.  Have an M416 trailer that has tires on it from the 60's.   No falling apart bullshit with those tires.

So what did the tire manufacturers decide to do to make tires age out in a decade, while bidenflationing the price at the same time?
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#37]
A tire store has never checked tires and said they are fine
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#38]
This is probably wrong for a number of reasons, but I think of the valve stems as a "rot indicator."  Generally I'll start losing valve stems to dry rot and figure if they're going, the tire can't be far.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:31:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By wm69:

In 2008 Dad bought some new Michelins for the 95.  I took the old Coopers he took off of the 95 and put them on the 83.  When the Michelins hit about 10 years the sidewalls were visibly and seriously cracking and we replaced them.   This isn't little bitty cracks, this is big chunks of rubber you could pick out with your finger.

Coopers are still fine.  They gotta be pushing 25-30 years old.   The 83 pretty much never gets over 25mph so haven't been in any hurry to replace them.

I've run 25+ year old BFG AT's and MT's as well.  Have an M416 trailer that has tires on it from the 60's.   No falling apart bullshit with those tires.

So what did the tire manufacturers decide to do to make tires age out in a decade, while bidenflationing the price at the same time?
View All Quotes
I always marvel at the power of public relations companies. There is no such thing as age on tires except maybe 10 or 15 years. Tips used to be 10% until the national restaurant association starting spreading news stories that tips at restaurants should be 20%. Guess what they are now?

I’m sure EPA and gov are the reason. My timfoil gets tighter every year. But hasn’t let me down yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#40]

View All Quotes

They took out a significant amount of the lamp black/carbon black which helps rubber to resist UV damage and cracking. New tires truly are rancid shit as far as longevity goes. It was a double win for tire companies because it's also pretty expensive [it basically is soot from burning oil uncleanly] to make. they spend less to make new tires and the new tires crack and get UV damaged much faster so they sell more tires.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top