Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2024 5:23:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07]
It’s one my favorite things. Going to fancy seafood restaurant tomorrow we go to every once in a while. Yes. In KY. They claim stuf is delivered daily. I’m also a fisherman.

My question is do they just open a big can of lump crap meat, put it on ice?  I mean I order it every time and it’s delicious.

@midcap apparently google says Louisiana is biggest producer of blue crab, which is where the fine lump crab comes from

I can bet there no way that restaurant shucks the crabs onsite.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#1]
Yes, it is canned or in a plastic container. I've always purchased it in a plastic container, I live on the Gulf Coast.

Maybe in bulk they get it in some tub or a thick bag, unless they are getting the crabs live and have some illegal shelling and picking the crab meat out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I like the fake stuff better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#3]
They have to Heat up the crab first
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Southernman077:
View Quote

Take your immigration crab meat right outta here!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:28:33 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Do you have a train?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:28:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 3uzzard:

Do you have a train?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Do you have a train?

Or like touching?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By oscardeuce:
They have to Heat up the crab first
View Quote

Right. It’s fully cooked. Which means it’s fully cooked at processing. Then shipped on ice or canned.

Don’t care. It’s fucking delicious. Served cold with fancy mayo, or let’s call it “aeole”
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:31:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#8]

Or like touching?
View All Quotes

Do you have a train?

Or like touching?

You guys can go space docking hook up in another thread.

Oh shit!!!!  Ohio has entered food thread!  Abort!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:32:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Since you're in Kentucky, it probably came from Alaskan pollock......
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:33:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: osprey21] [#10]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By spidey07:

Right. It’s fully cooked. Which means it’s fully cooked at processing. Then shipped on ice or canned.

Don’t care. It’s fucking delicious. Served cold with fancy mayo, or let’s call it “aeole”
View Quote

Aioli
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll spend a few days in KY for the races at Keeneland.  All I want are hot browns, burgoo, and BBQ.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Ndenway1twicetimes:
Since you're in Kentucky, it probably came from Alaskan pollock......
View Quote

Negative. This is real crab knuckles
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:37:52 PM EDT
[#14]
The back legs of the crab. You should buy a couple dozen blue crabs and learn something.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:38:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: delemorte] [#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
"Jumbo lump crab meat" is the meat that forms the muscle for the swimmer fins on Blue Crabs, each crab only has two of these muscles.
View Quote

Right.  Which is why it’s so damn expensive. Very labor intensive.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By spuddicus:

Aioli
View All Quotes

Aioli

Dat jumbo lump crab in muh mouth?  I’ll call it areola
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 94TBlazer:
I'll spend a few days in KY for the races at Keeneland.  All I want are hot browns, burgoo, and BBQ.
View Quote

You want the best!  You got the best!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Lionel makes the "Jumbo lump crab meat"
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By osprey21:
"Jumbo lump crab meat" is the meat that forms the muscle for the swimmer fins. Each crab only has two of these muscles.
View Quote

Lump is the large clump of meat from swim fin muscle in the main body of the crab. The crabs are cooked and then picked by hand. Usually we are talking about the Blue Crab. Your best choice for this is a nice crab cocktail (most places don't charge enough for this huge amount of meat). Or for a hot dish, Crab Imperial.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:47:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#21]

Thank you for that. Is it only blue crab?

I do enjoy they crab hamstrings.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:48:16 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

fake stuff is cat meat
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#23]
having picked my share of steamed blue crabs for dinner, If you ever get a chance to watch a pro pick blue crab meat, go watch. I can starve to death picking crab meat to eat, but the pro's, nothing missed and the meat just flies out.  I imagine they get paid by the pound from how fast they work
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Crabs
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:55:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Did somebody say crabs?

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#26]
Land of the Lost - Giant Crab

Land Of The Lost 2009 eating giant crab
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:03:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spidey07] [#28]

LA boy coming correct!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#29]

LA boy coming correct!
View Quote

I did all my crabbing in Alabama and Florida… I still love blues but I’m trying to start a crawfish pond now that I’m in LA
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:10:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Duh from jumbo lump crabs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:11:33 PM EDT
[#31]
OP if you ever make it to the PNW try dungeness crab.

It's a decent amount of work to get to the meat (that's part of the fun) but it tastes so damn good.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#32]
When opened correctly each leg can be pulled with its entire lump fully intact, ready to dip in some butter and chow down on

Good fresh-made crab cakes made with jumbo lump and very very little else are absolutely heavenly
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#33]
It’s one my favorite things. Going to fancy seafood restaurant tomorrow we go to every once in a while. Yes. In KY. They claim stuf is delivered daily. I’m also a fisherman.

My question is do they just open a big can of lump crap meat, put it on ice?  I mean I order it every time and it’s delicious.

@midcap apparently google says Louisiana is biggest producer of blue crab, which is where the fine lump crab comes from

I can bet there no way that restaurant shucks the crabs onsite.
View Quote

I don’t know, but you shuck oysters and pick crabs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:18:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:20:55 PM EDT
[#35]
From the better train stores in town.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:25:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By QUACK32:
The back legs of the crab. You should buy a couple dozen blue crabs and learn something.
View Quote

Are blue crabs good teachers?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:26:45 PM EDT
[#38]
I pinch…
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:27:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Chesapeake Bay and its rivers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#40]
It is derived from the lip and asshole of the crab.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:37:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#41]

You could be my new best friend.

I’ve been eating blue crab since I was a little boy living in Ft. Walton Beach in the ‘60s.  A perfect food.  More perfect with some melted butter.  Like this 1/2 lb of jumbo lump from Poor Boy’s Riverside Inn Broussard, LA back in April.

Had some killer crab cakes somewhere at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. It was on the water.  Best I ever had.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#42]
I order some crab once a month or so to help this kid out. Luke McFadden. Hard working kid.

https://jimmysfamousseafood.com/product/luke-mcfaddens-steamed-crabs/
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:39:58 PM EDT
[#43]

Dez lumps!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Triggerstuck:

You could be my new best friend.

I’ve been eating blue crab since I was a little boy living in Ft. Walton Beach in the ‘60s.  A perfect food.  More perfect with some melted butter.  Like this 1/2 lb of jumbo lump from Poor Boy’s Riverside Inn Broussard, LA back in April.

https://i.postimg.cc/FRCvC7Sz/IMG-5440.jpg

Had some killer crab cakes somewhere at the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. It was on the water.  Best I ever had.
View Quote

Funny enough, for all the years I lived in Maryland I never ate crabs there. It wasn’t until I was stationed in key west that I started trapping stone crabs, pulling spider crabs out from under coral, and dip netting the blues on Blimp Road. I have a measuring tool but I’ve honestly never pulled a crab small enough to need measuring. When I realized what is considered a jumbo or collossal I’m MD and NC I was shocked. That’s all we caught down in FL.

And when I got to Alabama, I got a blue crab trap and had it tied to the wooden patrol boat pier on the CG base. We would catch fish offshore and throw the carcasses in the crab trap. The full cooler was a typical day’s haul. I got in a routine of emptying the trap, walking up to the garage to ice it down, and then going home and picking crab meat all evening. I ended up with a damn freezer full and the wife made some damn good crab cakes all the time
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Swimmers. 2 lumps on each crab.

I used to go to seafood festivals on the Eastern Shore. They would have crab picking contests with commercial pickers. It was pretty amazing. They were judged by weight on backfin (jumbo lump), lump and special. They used butter knives which I found pretty awesome.

Special has the most shell. An easy way to clean the shell is to thinly spread it out onto a sheet pan. Put into a hot oven for several minutes. This will make either shell turn opaque and easy to see. Then you can pick it out quickly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:03:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Blue crabs
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:05:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Didn't realize people didn't know you could buy lump crab meat at the grocery store. Usually on ice in a plastic container with a metal lid over here.  They also sell just claw meat. My local to go joint makes the best crab cake which is basically all jumbo lump with minimal breading and seared on butter.

Also if you like to eat just crab, go to Brennan's in Houston and get their crab cake, they literally just take a cup and scoop a bunch of lump crab thats seasoned in cajun seasoning and put it on a plate. Like eating crab without having to pick it out the shell.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Just scoop em out of the water here
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:20:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#49]

Aioli
View All Quotes

Aioli

Areolai

Right.  Which is why it’s so damn expensive. Very labor intensive.

I suspect they have machines now. But, it used to be a room full of Asians, probably hispanics now.

Here it would have been Vietnamese.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:37:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Triggerstuck] [#50]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Funny enough, for all the years I lived in Maryland I never ate crabs there. It wasn’t until I was stationed in key west that I started trapping stone crabs, pulling spider crabs out from under coral, and dip netting the blues on Blimp Road. I have a measuring tool but I’ve honestly never pulled a crab small enough to need measuring. When I realized what is considered a jumbo or collossal I’m MD and NC I was shocked. That’s all we caught down in FL.

And when I got to Alabama, I got a blue crab trap and had it tied to the wooden patrol boat pier on the CG base. We would catch fish offshore and throw the carcasses in the crab trap. The full cooler was a typical day’s haul. I got in a routine of emptying the trap, walking up to the garage to ice it down, and then going home and picking crab meat all evening. I ended up with a damn freezer full and the wife made some damn good crab cakes all the time
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:

Stone crab claws are a fantastic meal.  What a sweet flavor they have.  I went to Maryland the one time back in ‘01.  Had blues at that Family Restaurant across the street from the Constellation.  I ordered a dozen large and my waitress told me, “Just to let you know, the large are from Louisiana.”  Fried soft shells make a great Poboy.

I always get tired of pickin’ first before I get full.

I used to go to seafood festivals on the Eastern Shore. They would have crab picking contests with commercial pickers. It was pretty amazing. They were judged by weight on backfin (jumbo lump), lump and special. They used butter knives which I found pretty awesome.

A butter knife is what I’ve always used too.  They just work.

I’ve eaten my weight ten times over with Lake Pontchartrain blue crab.  South Louisiana sure does seafood.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top