[#2]
i voted moose because it was closest to goose
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A moose once bit my sister.
View Quote

An African Lion once knocked my sister down and stood on her with it's front paws.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:05:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Poll fail
No rescue "mixed breeds" aka pit bull.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Pissed off Bullwinkle will stomp a mud hole in your ass right quick.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:14:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can fight off or kill a mountain lion with a pocket knife. Not so with a moose. A pissed off rutting bull or a protective cow are terrifying and potentially deadly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mountain lions all the way. Moose are only dangerous if you crowd them (or hit them with your car). A cat will kill for fun.

You can fight off or kill a mountain lion with a pocket knife. Not so with a moose. A pissed off rutting bull or a protective cow are terrifying and potentially deadly.

Those crazy bastards kill themselves charging friggin freight trains!
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty sure humans qualify as "animals".
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:19:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Whoever voted Gila Monster is a 'tard. They have to chew on you a little to get the poison in, which is easily defeated with a pair of boots. You can also pop 'em dead with a .22 pistol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:23:47 AM EDT
[#9]

ETA - The only one that'll attack you with ping pong balls
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:30:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Polar Bear
View Quote

Polar Bear / Sasquatch.  It's a toss up to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:34:21 AM EDT
[#11]
A moose bit my sister.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:34:52 AM EDT
[#12]
The Karen
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Mountain lions all the way. Moose are only dangerous if you crowd them (or hit them with your car). A cat will kill for fun.

I suppose it could be done if it were a frontal attack, but I wouldn't like my odds against a cat armed only with a knife. Heck, even with a pistol there's a chance it will mess me up before I know it's after me.

I understand that moose can be dangerous, but don't you pretty much have to knowingly get close to them to trigger an attack? All of the moose I've seen (including two this month) have been pretty mellow, but none had calves or were rutting bulls.

A buddy of mine did have a sketchy encounter as a kid when he was too close to a cow and her calf to take a pic. That's a lot of animal to have pissed at you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:45:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I put lion, 25 years of living in AK, I know enough about moose to keep out of trouble.  I almost put snakes, no sneks in AK either, I'm not familiar with them to be comfortable around them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:50:11 AM EDT
[#15]
The only one I've ever run into in the wild is a mountain lion.  That said way more people attacked each year by moose than mountain lions so...moose.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#16]
I told this story in another thread recently but here it is again, since we're on the subject:

I was out jogging on a trail through the woods one day while I was stationed in Alaska, and I came around a bend and there was a giant moose standing right by the side of the trail.

I was already right on top of him by the time I saw him, and, there not really being a great deal of time for deliberations, I just said "Fuck it" and kept on running right past him.

Well, next thing I know, I hear this snorting and the thumping of hooves right next to me.

He was running right alongside me.

We ran this way for about 50 yards or so, before he broke off into the woods.

I just thought the shit was funny, and I was laughing.

Now, maybe I am not supposed to be alive right now, but apparently the moose just wasn't up to stomping me to death like the OP's poll suggests he was supposed to.

ETA: The North American four legged animal that scares me most is the mountain lion.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 1:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:06:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mountain lion, in the dark woods, that wants to eat you
View Quote

It is VERY rare for an puma to take on an adult human as a food source.   They might consider children to be fair game, but unless you are laying down or crouched, puma's see you as something too big to tackle without risk.

If you study puma attacks, they tend to be related to adult persons not just walking along upright.   (The classic one was the bicyclist who was crouched over dealing with a flat tire, and the cat decided it was an easy mark.)

The moose is the one that, while he certainly isn't engaging you as a food source, is the one most likely to give no shits about why you are in his territory, and wants you gone.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:08:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A moose once bit my sister.
View Quote

I got you!

It's sad no one else got this yet.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:08:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
All dangerous in their own way. Venomous snakes most likely cause the most numerous serious injuries/hospitalizations yearly. White tails are probably up there too, but they're not scary enough for your list...lol.
View Quote

The typical profile of a venomous snake bite victim in N. America is an adult male between 18-23 years of age, with a BAC of over 0.1 at the time of the bite.   One must factor that into any calculation about the actual danger of a venomous snake.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whoever voted Gila Monster is a 'tard. They have to chew on you a little to get the poison in, which is easily defeated with a pair of boots. You can also pop 'em dead with a .22 pistol.
View Quote

YUP.  A Gila Monster will spend as much effort as possible getting away, unless you are dumb enough to decide to pick it up.

Even if you are truly stupid enough to pick it up, and it bites you, it's strategy for invenomating you is to masticate (chew) it's venomous saliva into the bite.  It takes a LONG time to really get very much venom into the victim, and while they are hard to pry their jaws open, it's not like a few minutes of pissed off lizard clamped on your flesh is a death sentence.

I would postulate that more people have died from Gila Monster tetanus infections from the bite than from the venom.

In fact, I think that virtually every incident of someone getting bit by one of these lizards involved someone trying to handle the thing.  In that case, they got what they deserved.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:33:02 AM EDT
[#22]
The grizz should have been on your survey.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:36:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All dangerous in their own way. Venomous snakes most likely cause the most numerous serious injuries/hospitalizations yearly. White tails are probably up there too, but they're not scary enough for your list...lol.
View Quote

The fact they will occasionally decide to attack people nonwithstanding,
I bet whitetails are number one just due to car accidents.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:39:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My answer would probably get me locked for a bit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:42:19 AM EDT
[#25]
The griz and black bear in Glacier National Park have a taste for human flesh.

Quite a few people killed and eaten by both.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not enough context.

One on one in a cage match its the moose. Odds you will get f'd up by one of them I would say the bear due to it being far more common throughout north america.

View Quote

More common than a rattlesnake?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 4:06:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The grizz should have been on your survey.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42994/grizzley_jpg-2284868.JPG
View Quote

That puts things into perspective.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:31:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Moose.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:46:28 AM EDT
[#29]
You left "pit bull" or "American Staffordshire Terrier" off the poll...
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 7:47:06 AM EDT
[#30]
I respect the big cats, but I don't let them keep me from exploring and hiking their territory. We frequent the caves they sleep in at our lease confirmed by the trappers, and have walked through their freshly eaten sheep remains several times.

This was in the dirt in one of the cave/shelters the other morning, nice sized one.

They trap between 8-12 each year just on our lease. There's a reason why I strap my shovel to my pack like that.

Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:02:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Statistically wrong.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:03:31 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Moose followed by 6' tall Chicken
View Quote

Only if your Peter Griffin.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pretty sure humans qualify as  feral "animals".
View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:08:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Deer. Deer fuck up more shit than any other North American animal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:12:12 AM EDT
[#35]
I can climb up a tree a moose can't
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:18:25 AM EDT
[#36]
Poll fail:  No 'rescue pit bull.'
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:20:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Africanized bees if you can't run, damned near took out AJ Foyt.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:30:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Pretty sure I've had more close calls that could've messed up my life that involved single moms looking for their next meal ticket than anything on that list.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#39]
I enjoy asking people from away if they have ever seen a moose. When they respond “no”, I say “you will, as it comes through your windshield”.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:39:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#41]
Liberal politicians.

When they're loose nobody is safe, their favorite prey are the weak: the very young, females, and the elderly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This.  Hood hounds kill more people than the list combined.
View Quote

Do they let you play outside without your helmet on?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:57:08 AM EDT
[#43]
Mountain lions and bears
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#44]
Pit bulls kill far more people than moose’s
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:58:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Poll fail

No Northeastern Karen listed
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:58:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Pie!
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Pit bulls kill far more people than moose’s
View Quote

Who trained the dog. Man
Man is the most dangerous
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 9:04:17 AM EDT
[#48]
No pit bills, feral dogs or wild boar? I am disappoint...
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Statistically wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Statistically wrong.

Do the moose attack stats make it possible to pull out people who crowd them or otherwise antagonize them? I can't say I've heard of anyone minding their own business attacked by a moose. Every moose attack I've heard of has been people trying to get close to them. Maybe it happens, but the moose I've seen have all been pretty mellow when provided space. I could see how maybe during the rut a bull might be a bit obnoxious.

If someone is attacked while alone by a cougar in a remote area does it ever get reported? Or do they just get listed as missing?
Link Posted: 2/19/2022 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Farm animals,

bees, wasps, hornets,

dogs,

continue to represent the most danger to humans.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top