BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I do find it funny that while the usage of the term is relatively new, the movie is from the 1940s.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The future is now, old man.

I do find it funny that while the usage of the term is relatively new, the movie is from the 1940s.  

It is funny that the expression came and went...and came back again.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:24:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Just when I caught on to gaslighting a little bit before you, the kids start using "based" for everything.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think we used to call it  "lying " or " not telling the truth.......but i am old too !!
View Quote

It also adds the feature of making the person who knows you are lying believe your lie as truth.

For example:  “Numerous police officers were killed in the Capitol insurrection.”  This involves two statements of gaslighting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:42:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Of everyone I've heard say that, I am the only one who has ever watched the movie. A good piece of classic cinema that I've watched while at grandma's house.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:52:04 AM EDT
[#5]
There you go again, making up words and nonsense like you always do.

Gaslighting is not real, calm down.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree OP that stupid term is used everywhere now. Still don’t think I know what it means and usually disregard anyone using it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:14:17 AM EDT
[#7]
The entire FJB administration are gas-lighters, especially the dumb bitch he has for a spokesman...she is the absolute worst I have ever seen, but hey lets make sure the right boxes are checked, which gives a fuck if she doesn't know anything
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have Alzheimer’s?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It’s just a buzzword these days. It’s usually over exaggerated or used out of context the same way anything anyone doesn’t like or any uncomfortable situation is now “toxic”.
View Quote

No, it's not.

It's a massive problem and one of the most common methods of elder abuse, especially by interestingly enough female family members.

Most of the time it goes unseen, as even those who determine that they're being used say nothing out of fear or shame.

My sister was my fathers primary carer for a few years after my mother passed, she had him believing he was losing his mind, stole $80k before fleeing the country less than 48hrs after I found out and stepped in.

In the years since he's come across a number of people in his social circles that went through exactly the same thing from family members.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:51:19 AM EDT
[#10]
FPNI

Wait until you see how gaslighting translates to healthcare! Look up HCA and never retire where that healthcare system manages you while you age!
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:57:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I grew up in a house that had gas lighting.  There were gas jets in many of the rooms, but the jets had been removed in others.

The gas piped to residences was Town Gas, a synthetic gas generated in a gas plant and stored at low pressure in a gasometer tank.

Google town gas and gasometer, it's an interesting part of history.

In the early 1950's the gas distribution system started replacing town gas with natural gas.  

Stoves could use either gas.  NG was cheaper and people started to change from coal for home heating and hot water tanks to natural gas.

My parents were very cautious with gas and never used the gas jets.  After much pestering I got my dad to open and light one of the jets.  It worked and provided some light.

Homes blew up from gas jets left open back in those days, my parents grew up with stories about this happening in the mid 1800's to the mid 1950's.

So, that's literally gas lighting.  Then there's psychobabble gaslighting, Catholic church and school had a lot of that kind of gaslighting.

Psychobabble gaslighting seems to be a control technique.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:09:18 AM EDT
[#12]
It a woke commie word, so I dont care what it means, but i always assumed it meant trying to start shit with someone.

Fuck commie crap.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:49:42 AM EDT
[#13]
When my wife kept accusing me of Gaslighting her, I told her to quit the Reddit bullshit or I would buy, and wear, this shirt.

She stopped.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:52:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah to put it very simply it is telling someone that they aren’t seeing what they are seeing with the intent to make them distrust their own intuition and instincts. Making them selectively schizophrenic basically.

It sounds counterintuitive but it is a very common and effective method of deception.

Most people use Orwellian 1984 or Animal Farm terminology instead of gaslighting.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
It's a movie.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 4:51:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What are you talking about? You know what gaslighting means. You've known for years.
View Quote

And your some kind of messed up person for pretending you didn't know.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:41:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been hearing it more and more in the past few years, but had NO IDEA wtf it means.  I finally decided to spent the ten seconds typing it into Google, and looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Basically, it's a tactic for manipulating someone in a way that makes them question their own reality or sanity.

Am I just the last person on the planet who didn't know this, or are there plenty of others who also didn't know?  
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I learned it’s meaning all to well, live and in person, via my ex wife and her mother.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Basically, it's a tactic for manipulating someone in a way that makes them question their own reality or sanity.

View Quote

Oh, you mean reading GD.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:50:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I actually Googled it for the first time myself about a month ago.

How is it that with more access to information than ever before in history we have less and less truth?
View Quote

Signal to noise ratio
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 1:54:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's a psychological ploy that we use when our wives catch us with a new gun that we hadn't previously told them about.

"This old thing? Had it for years. You really don't remember it? Pfffttt"
View Quote
thats why you buy an airsoft version of the gun you want, and then years later you swap them out.
if she inquires about it, just say it has some issue and that sooner or later you will take it to a gunsmith you trust.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:35:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I love how some can apply complete judgement onto a person including, but not limited too, party affiliation and general worth as a human, based upon the usage of a single word that first entered the American lexicon 80 years ago- before most of us were even born  (and entered it  in a very unique and interesting way) just because a few television personalities ( in addition to a lot of our mee-maws) also used the same word in the last few years.

If only there was a word for that.....

We should call it being Geedeed.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:51:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Now go look up sophistry.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 2:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now go look up sophistry.
View Quote

the use of fallacious arguments, especially with the intention of deceiving.
"trying to argue that I had benefited in any way from the disaster was pure sophistry"
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been hearing it more and more in the past few years, but had NO IDEA wtf it means.  I finally decided to spent the ten seconds typing it into Google, and looked it up.

Am I just the last person on the planet who didn't know this, or are there plenty of others who also didn't know?  
View Quote

I had to google it too, albeit a while ago. Don't feel bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I haven't heard of astroturfing until this thread, but have heard of gaslighting.....guess that makes me an honorary parent of boomer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:09:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I love how some can apply complete judgement onto a person including, but not limited too, party affiliation and general worth as a human, based upon the usage of a single word that first entered the American lexicon 80 years ago- before most of us were even born  (and entered it  in a very unique and interesting way) just because a few television personalities ( in addition to a lot of our mee-maws) also used the same word in the last few years.

If only there was a word for that.....

We should call it being Geedeed.
View Quote

These people have skills. Chicks dig the skills.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Ask Bravo32.
He’s an expert at it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:13:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I hadn't heard of it until a few years ago when my ex-SIL tried gaslighting my brother into thinking he was gaslighting her. She is one crazy Bitch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hadn't heard of it until a few years ago when my ex-SIL tried gaslighting my brother into thinking he was gaslighting her. She is one crazy Bitch.

Yes, the ex's do that. Mine still tries. "Stop gaslighting me!" "You are gaslighting me!" Always in response to a question asked by me about our children (because that is the only reason I ever contact her). I wonder what the term is for someone who falsely accuses someone else of gaslighting. I guess bitch but that gets overused.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#30]
It was the Marriam Webster word of the year for 2022.

And I had no idea what gaslighting meant before I was accused of doing it in 2021. After looking it up, I found out I was being gaslit into thinking I gaslight. Quite the Uno Reverse card.

The person who accused me of doing it is now busy gaslighting other people close to her. #ohwell.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I read about it several years ago, but only because my ex wife is a fucking borderline and I couldn’t figure out what she was doing to my brains.  

But yeah…it seems to come up all the time now.

View Quote

There it is. My ex is BPD. The only explanation I have is that those with BPD don't want to deal with any truth that will make them appear in anyway but perfect. She throws out the term gaslighting in order to make the issue about me (or whoever has the slightest disagreement with her) and not address the issue at hand.

Do BPDs themselves engage in gaslighting? I don't know, its' a big mess. This website https://www.mentalcurve.com/post/do-people-with-bpd-know-when-they-are-gaslighting claims that BPD are not actually gaslighting but engaged in paranoid ideation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Gaslight (1944) Official Trailer - Charles Boyer, Ingrid Bergman Movie HD

I didn't see it when it first came out (1944) but I saw it last century and learned what "gaslighting" is.

The term has been around for years but I guess fell into disuse and then kids found it and turned it into something else.  Kind of like "POGUE" vs "POG"?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What are you talking about? You know what gaslighting means. You've known for years.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:26:18 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had to look it up several times. Probably will again.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:31:09 PM EDT
[#35]
I feel like you made this thread just to get a rise out of me
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:34:00 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm familiar with it because of a narcissist, but also know a control freak that gaslights anytime they feel out of control.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#37]
It’s the new fad in victimhood.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I read about it several years ago, but only because my ex wife is a fucking borderline and I couldn’t figure out what she was doing to my brains.  

But yeah…it seems to come up all the time now.

View Quote

If you were familiar with family court before 2020 it's a term you are well acquainted with.

As a former single mommy connoisseur gas lighting has been in my lexicon as far back as 2014.

Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:43:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Had a friend whose boyfriend is a manipulative narcissist who constantly gas lit her into believing everything he did was her fault and nothing he did wrong actually ever happened.  She was always confused about what happened because he would tell her it never happened the way she saw it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#40]
I don’t live under a rock and I’m not a clueless retard, so I don’t have the problem you speak of.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Had a friend whose boyfriend is a manipulative narcissist who constantly gas lit her into believing everything he did was her fault and nothing he did wrong actually ever happened.  She was always confused about what happened because he would tell her it never happened the way she saw it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s real. But it didn’t go from a never used term to common verbiage among the commoners overnight because people are intelligent.
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I don’t live under a rock and I’m not a clueless retard, so I don’t have the problem you speak of.
View Quote

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top