Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2024 7:40:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94]
Construction on our new home has started and the contractor is planning to have the trades in starting around Nov/Dec. I’d like to eventually do a ground mounted solar mounted solar array, but based on available resources at the moment, I’m thinking about having the batteries and control equipment installed when the electrician wires up the house and adding the panels later.

With that in mind, what commercial battery/inverter/controller setups do we like? Are there any which can have their capacity expanded by the layperson in the future? Seems like Goal Zero has one that can be scaled up but the reviews are fairly poor.

So, what battery/batteries and control panel are you all using?

ETA: will have a generator installed when the LP tank is put in and plumber as well. Wanting to be able to run the house on the batts and charge those with solar and generator vice having the generator run and run waiting for a load.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't done it yet but I'm also looking into this for my new house. I am definitely more interested in a US-based company rather than a fly-by-night Chicom outfit.  I was thinking a Tesla Powerwall system could be a solid choice but was also looking at Fortress Power and Sonnen.  I am looking at a fairly minimal system which could keep the main functions of the house going for a day or so in a complete failure, possibly more with solar backup.  Thinking a minimal solar array (8-9kw) and 10-12KWh of battery; an inverter with gas generator tie-in would be nice in the event of extended outages should the solar array not be able to keep up with long-term demand.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:55:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zoe17] [#2]
EG-4 for battery. Sol-arc, Victron, EG-4, for inverter etc. Watch Will Prowse on YouTube. Are you doing grid tie?
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 7:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PanzerShrek:
I haven't done it yet but I'm also looking into this for my new house. I am definitely more interested in a US-based company rather than a fly-by-night Chicom outfit.  I was thinking a Tesla Powerwall system could be a solid choice but was also looking at Fortress Power and Sonnen.  I am looking at a fairly minimal system which could keep the main functions of the house going for a day or so in a complete failure, possibly more with solar backup.  Thinking a minimal solar array (8-9kw) and 10-12KWh of battery; an inverter with gas generator tie-in would be nice in the event of extended outages should the solar array not be able to keep up with long-term demand.
View Quote

Sounds like we’re looking for the same thing.

I looked at the Powerwall, but they’re very expensive for their capacity, and I thought I saw here or elsewhere that the wait time for them is atrocious. I also like the idea of being able to add capacity in the future so I could pay some now to get a functional whole house backup installed by the electrician, and then just plug additional batteries in as funds allow.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#4]
Originally Posted By zoe17:
EG-4 for battery. Sol-arc, Victron, EG-4, for inverter etc. Watch Will Prowse on YouTube. Are you doing grid tie?
View Quote

Yep, grid tie, but I’m not really worried about being able to ‘earn’ with the solar panels once they’re part of the system. Electricity is only .11/kwhr, but I’d like some energy independence. Being able to select the time of day when they charge from the grid would be nice to have as well, to ensure we’re paying bottom dollar to the power company.

A buddy who has his barn running completely on solar mentioned Sol Arc for the inverter. Hoping to go checkout his set up sometime this month.
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By towerofpower94:

I looked at the Powerwall, but they’re very expensive for their capacity, and I thought I saw here or elsewhere that the wait time for them is atrocious. I also like the idea of being able to add capacity in the future so I could pay some now to get a functional whole house backup installed by the electrician, and then just plug additional batteries in as funds allow.
View Quote

The Fortress one uses an indoor/outdoor rack system which can either hold the system equipment (inverter etc.) or battery packs.  The packs are 5.4KWh each and each rack can hold up to 4.  I figured if I were to go that route I would probably start with 1 battery rack and 2 batteries with the option to add more batteries later.

Their upper-level inverter will do 12k continuous load and has a generator input.  I figure a minimally-sized Generac or even a portable Tri-Fuel / NG-modified gas generator running at steady load would keep the batteries up in between high load usage conditions.

https://www.fortresspower.com/products/envy-12kw/
Link Posted: 9/5/2024 8:11:32 PM EDT
[#6]

The Fortress one uses an indoor/outdoor rack system which can either hold the system equipment (inverter etc.) or battery packs.  The packs are 5.4KWh each and each rack can hold up to 4.  I figured if I were to go that route I would probably start with 1 battery rack and 2 batteries with the option to add more batteries later.

Their upper-level inverter will do 12k continuous load and has a generator input.  I figure a minimally-sized Generac or even a portable Tri-Fuel / NG-modified gas generator running at steady load would keep the batteries up in between high load usage conditions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks for that info. Seems like it checks many boxes for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:22:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: turtle2472] [#7]
Check with your utility provider on what will happen when you switch to any connected system.  Our changed us to a Time of Use based and we don't get retail net metering credits, it is wholesale buy-back.  We were promised "net metering", and we technically are on net metering.  However, their version of net metering doesn't match what most others are doing. My net metering means if I export 1kWh extra during off peak, then I get 1kWh of "banked" energy for use during off peak.  If I export 25kWh during off peak, but net consume 1kWh during peak then I pay for 1kWh of peak and have banked energy for off peak.

So any exported energy only credits the "period" you are currently in.  Exported energy into peak gets you energy credit for peak and anything unused is pushed down to be energy credits for off peak.  Any unused energy from off peak is pushed down to super off peak.  Consuming more during a period than you submitted and doesn't have a pushed down credit means you pay for energy during that period.  During the summer this isn't really a problem.  When it is almost dark at 1700 and evening peak starts at 1800 though... you have to have batteries or you pay dearly.

Critical peak is another wonder they throw in the mix.  Our utility gets to call 20 "critical peak pricing days" a year.  During those times any peak period will cost $.26kWh.  Not only that, but there is no positive credit for critical peak.  If I export 10kWh (dump my batteries) and we pull from the grid a total of 1kWh then I'm paying for that no matter what.  Net surplus doesn't apply for critical peak in "net metering" terms.  I still get the energy credit passed to lower tiered peak periods, but you pay for ANY electricity used from the grid during critical peak.

If it all ends up that I exported more than I consumed, I get credited that whopping $.03/kWh.  You have to know going into it with your energy provider what they breakdown is.  This totally threw off our "pay-off" math because it wasn't what was portrayed to us.  No one lied, just tons of missing details.  $77.94 are charges that just don't go away.  At best, I can have so much surplus (exported) energy that I can get my minimum bill down to just $30.  It will never go below that, until I disconnect service.  Needless to say, this doesn't make me happy.  Before we had solar we could turn off the main breaker and our minimum bill would be just $13.09.

Even if you don't plan to do solar right away, you would have the ability to export the energy storage in your home and that will likely force a change for your utility plan.  Dig into the early so you know what the real change is going to be.

I'm also going to echo going with server rack batteries like the EG4's linked to earlier.  I went with Powerwalls with my build because the polish.  The problem is if I want to add more storage I have to pay for someone else to install it.  Getting a rack and sliding another battery in to add capacity is super simple and safe but isn't an option with contained battery banks.

If you would like, I can go into more details about what I've learned since running my system for about a year and a half now.  If I were to do it today, I would likely go with a Sol-Ark 15K or an EG4 18kPV.  Actually, I might even run two in parallel.  With these you can connect a generator as input power if you need.  I have no means to connect a generator into my home with the Tesla system.  I have a generator, but can only use it stand-alone.  With these kind of inverters you can also build out your battery bank over time and aren't tied to a brand or anything like that.  No quite free for all, but much wider options.  Something like these allow you to add more over time rather than buy them all at once.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#8]
Originally Posted By turtle2472:
Check with your utility provider on what will happen when you switch to any connected system.  Our changed us to a Time of Use based and we don't get retail net metering credits, it is wholesale buy-back.  We were promised "net metering", and we technically are on net metering.  However, their version of net metering doesn't match what most others are doing. My net metering means if I export 1kWh extra during off peak, then I get 1kWh of "banked" energy for use during off peak.  If I export 25kWh during off peak, but net consume 1kWh during peak then I pay for 1kWh of peak and have banked energy for off peak.

So any exported energy only credits the "period" you are currently in.  Exported energy into peak gets you energy credit for peak and anything unused is pushed down to be energy credits for off peak.  Any unused energy from off peak is pushed down to super off peak.  Consuming more during a period than you submitted and doesn't have a pushed down credit means you pay for energy during that period.  During the summer this isn't really a problem.  When it is almost dark at 1700 and evening peak starts at 1800 though... you have to have batteries or you pay dearly.

Critical peak is another wonder they throw in the mix.  Our utility gets to call 20 "critical peak pricing days" a year.  During those times any peak period will cost $.26kWh.  Not only that, but there is no positive credit for critical peak.  If I export 10kWh (dump my batteries) and we pull from the grid a total of 1kWh then I'm paying for that no matter what.  Net surplus doesn't apply for critical peak in "net metering" terms.  I still get the energy credit passed to lower tiered peak periods, but you pay for ANY electricity used from the grid during critical peak.

If it all ends up that I exported more than I consumed, I get credited that whopping $.03/kWh.  You have to know going into it with your energy provider what they breakdown is.  This totally threw off our "pay-off" math because it wasn't what was portrayed to us.  No one lied, just tons of missing details.  $77.94 are charges that just don't go away.  At best, I can have so much surplus (exported) energy that I can get my minimum bill down to just $30.  It will never go below that, until I disconnect service.  Needless to say, this doesn't make me happy.  Before we had solar we could turn off the main breaker and our minimum bill would be just $13.09.

Even if you don't plan to do solar right away, you would have the ability to export the energy storage in your home and that will likely force a change for your utility plan.  Dig into the early so you know what the real change is going to be.

I'm also going to echo going with server rack batteries like the EG4's linked to earlier.  I went with Powerwalls with my build because the polish.  The problem is if I want to add more storage I have to pay for someone else to install it.  Getting a rack and sliding another battery in to add capacity is super simple and safe but isn't an option with contained battery banks.

If you would like, I can go into more details about what I've learned since running my system for about a year and a half now.  If I were to do it today, I would likely go with a Sol-Ark 15K or an EG4 18kPV.  Actually, I might even run two in parallel.  With these you can connect a generator as input power if you need.  I have no means to connect a generator into my home with the Tesla system.  I have a generator, but can only use it stand-alone.  With these kind of inverters you can also build out your battery bank over time and aren't tied to a brand or anything like that.  No quite free for all, but much wider options.  Something like these allow you to add more over time rather than buy them all at once.
View Quote

Thanks for the info on the scalability of certain systems.

I’m not really worried about feeding the meter to ‘make my money back’ when it’s all said and done. I want to do this to get some electrical independence and try to minimize the time my generator will need to run if we lose power for an extended period of time. The new neighbors and a buddy up the road have both been there 4-5yrs, and only lost power for a few minutes, but we’re only one ice storm away from a week without and I’d rather have multiple back up options instead of only relying on a generator or the power company getting our rural area back online.

ETA: your links aren’t working
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:14:23 PM EDT
[#9]
I would have a separate building for the battery and inverter
They have been known for releasing chemical smell and catch fire. It is rare but shit happens
If you don’t need the money then go grid less and just make your own power with a national gas backup generator (if you have NG)
Keep the panels high enough and wide enough to walk under the high side and mow grass between
If you can set the tilt of the panel for the time of the year it helps the output be maximum
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info on the scalability of certain systems.

I’m not really worried about feeding the meter to ‘make my money back’ when it’s all said and done. I want to do this to get some electrical independence and try to minimize the time my generator will need to run if we lose power for an extended period of time. The new neighbors and a buddy up the road have both been there 4-5yrs, and only lost power for a few minutes, but we’re only one ice storm away from a week without and I’d rather have multiple back up options instead of only relying on a generator or the power company getting our rural area back online.

ETA: your links aren’t working
View Quote

I fixed the links.  There were " in the URLs for some reason.

If you really are focused on that independence and primarily the battery portion right now, then I would certainly go with one of the AiO units. The EG4 18kPV seems to be almost the exact same as the Fortress unit linked to earlier.  Probably made in the same plant... research which is best.  Sol-Ark has a name for being "hardened" and prepper friendly but at a higher cost.  I've also not read any complaints about them.

The reason I would recommend an AiO setup is you install the unit once. From there you can tie in a generator, batteries, even other sources.  Consider your home's max load with something like this though.  Running a high current circuit will quickly deplete your available load based on the inverter you have.  This is why I would possibly go with two in parallel if I were to switch my home over.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:27:17 PM EDT
[#11]

If you are doing 12volt which I would for lots of inexpensive 12volt appliances,  your best bang for the buck batteries are 6volt golf car batteries wired x2 then in series to eventually get 1 huge 12 volt battery.

Costco is the best place to buy them and if your local one doesn't stock them they can order them.

Make sure you get all the same dates.

There are many many 12volt appliances available to just plug in.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:35:58 PM EDT
[#12]
in my offgrid system i run 4 of the growatt 5000s but I would go with Sol-arc next time. I also have 12 SOK 48v 100 amp batteries.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:38:29 PM EDT
[#13]
It really depends on what you want out of the system. If you are looking for something with a simple plug and play interface that can be taken with you if you bugout/move, I would look at EcoFlow or the Anker Solix. They both have panels that easily tie into your house and can take solar and/or generator inputs.

If you are looking for something more permanent with more wh/$ you probably want something like the EG4 rack-mounted batteries with a 48v inverter sized appropriately for your needs.

There are a ton of options in the space now and most of them do a great job.

Generac is even in the game now with a plug-and-play system: https://apelectric.com/generac-pwrcell-9kwh-basics-package/
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:34:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ztug] [#14]
My system is Enphase I have 30  panels with micro inverters in each panel on top of the shop and then underground to the house where I have 3 batteries so I didn't have to mess up my roof and then need to replace it in a couple years anyway. And I have a generac 22kw whole house generator with a thousand gallon propane tank underground. I like redundancy and everything is American.. I could run solely on solar most of the time if I didn't have an electric car that I'm charging too. But I have had months where using time of use rates in Florida I was able to get down to the minimum charge of $25

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:38:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tangbang] [#15]
Originally Posted By live-free-or-die:
It really depends on what you want out of the system. If you are looking for something with a simple plug and play interface that can be taken with you if you bugout/move, I would look at EcoFlow or the Anker Solix. They both have panels that easily tie into your house and can take solar and/or generator inputs.

If you are looking for something more permanent with more wh/$ you probably want something like the EG4 rack-mounted batteries with a 48v inverter sized appropriately for your needs.

Generac is even in the game now with a plug-and-play system: https://apelectric.com/generac-pwrcell-9kwh-basics-package/
View Quote

I bought the Ecoflow Delta Plus Ultra and several batteries and the Smart Home Panel 2, along with (12) 400W panels and ground mounts.  The entire system will go with me to the next house, with the possible exception of the SHP2 (hard-wired to main panel).  The SHP2 is an automatic transfer switch that goes from grid to batteries near instantaneously.  It has 12 breaker slots and I am using a 100A main breaker.  It also has a 50A breaker/generator socket for a separate dual fuel generator outside.  The batteries get charged from grid, solar and/or generator.  The SHP2 can accommodate up to three 30A inverters and 15 6000Wh batteries.  There is an app that allows you to monitor/manage power including prioritize circuits, charge/discharge batteries based on power company rates, etc.  Can upsize to 90kWh battery storage with three 30A inverters, but that is $$$.

I can power well pump, gas fired furnace/water heater/oven, laundry outlet (gas dryer), two freezers, two fridges, etc. for days with some power management.  I can charge 18kWh battery storage off ~5000W solar panels in 4-5 hours of sunlight.

I agree with poster quoted above - take a hard look at Ecoflow or Anker.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:59:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#16]
Originally Posted By live-free-or-die:

View Quote

This is definitely a stay in place system. Not looking to be able to load panels and batteries into a car and boogie.

ETA: pretty sure we’ll be going with a Generac LP generator, but that $/kwh for their battery system seems pretty high. Maybe it’s just the cost of ‘keep it all the same’

ETA2: also not sure if that’s scalable by a home owner to put more battery capacity into the system. Strikes me as Generac trying to get into the home battery space via brand recognition
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I am building a new house and I am doing literally this.

33 panels, 3 batteries,  18kw generator. Enphase has everything integrated and it gives me the ability to be 100% off grid. The ats gives me the ability to disconnect from the grid completely.

Interestingly,  the price for this system was better than anything that was offered to me for just panels and controller.

Glad my GC knew a guy...
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:01:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By ztug:
My system is Enphase I have 30  panels with micro inverters in each panel on top of the shop and then underground to the house where I have 3 batteries so I didn't have to mess up my roof and then need to replace it in a couple years anyway. And I have a generac 22kw whole house generator with a thousand gallon propane tank underground. I like redundancy and everything is American.. I could run solely on solar most of the time if I didn't have an electric car that I'm charging too. But I have had months where using time of use rates in Florida I was able to get down to the minimum charge of $25
https://i.imgur.com/ljyWzvQ.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/aoAKJZQ.jpeg
View Quote

Very nice. Kinda what I’m looking for.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By tangbang:

I bought the Ecoflow Delta Plus Ultra and several batteries and the Smart Home Panel 2, along with (12) 400W panels and ground mounts.  The entire system will go with me to the next house, with the possible exception of the SHP2 (hard-wired to main panel).  The SHP2 is an automatic transfer switch that goes from grid to batteries near instantaneously.  It has 12 breaker slots and I am using a 100A main breaker.  It also has a 50A breaker/generator socket for a separate dual fuel generator outside.  The batteries get charged from grid, solar and/or generator.  The SHP2 can accommodate up to three 30A inverters and 15 6000Wh batteries.  There is an app that allows you to monitor/manage power including prioritize circuits, charge/discharge batteries based on power company rates, etc.  Can upsize to 90kWh battery storage with three 30A inverters, but that is $$$.

I can power well pump, gas fired furnace/water heater/oven, laundry outlet (gas dryer), two freezers, two fridges, etc. for days with some power management.  I can charge 18kWh battery storage off ~5000W solar panels in 4-5 hours of sunlight.

I agree with poster quoted above - take a hard look at Ecoflow or Anker.
View Quote

Very cool. I’m at the point now where trying to decide on batts and inverters are still a question mark for me. Seems like I need to just decide and start buying shit and taking to the contractor/electrician to get things sorted out.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: towerofpower94] [#20]
Originally Posted By Voland:
I am building a new house and I am doing literally this.

33 panels, 3 batteries,  18kw generator. Enphase has everything integrated and it gives me the ability to be 100% off grid. The ats gives me the ability to disconnect from the grid completely.

Interestingly,  the price for this system was better than anything that was offered to me for just panels and controller.

Glad my GC knew a guy...
View Quote

I’d be happy to learn what you used, here or via IM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top