BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:15:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
rickity steering and a throttle that's basically on or off? I would agree.

Or were you implying like a shifter kart? (which actually handles better than a miata and has better power to weight ratios?)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poke fun all you want, but they handle like a go-kart. Not much on straight-line power, but fun to toss around on twisty roads.

Or were you implying like a shifter kart? (which actually handles better than a miata and has better power to weight ratios?)
What are you blathering about?

The old Miata's steering isn't super precise on turn-in, but it's pretty direct, and power delivery from the naturally aspirated engine is smooth and linear.

I'd assume both qualities have only improved with the newer generations considering Mazda's attention to such details.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Theyre fun as fuck. You can find a clean one for 5k and with another couple grand (exhaust, wheels & tires, roll bar, fuel mapper) have something to tear around the local twisties.

There is an old saying "better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" and the Miata is the embodiment of that sentiment.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The old Miata's steering isn't super precise on turn-in, but it's pretty direct, and power delivery from the naturally aspirated engine is smooth and linear.

I'd assume both qualities have only improved with the newer generations considering Mazda's attention to such details.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Poke fun all you want, but they handle like a go-kart. Not much on straight-line power, but fun to toss around on twisty roads.

Stay with us here, he said "handle like a go-kart"

This is a go-kart

Once again, he said "Poke fun all you want, but they <font color="#ff0000" style="font-size: 12.8px;"></font><font color="#ff0000" style="font-size: 12.8px;">handle like a go-kart</font><font color="#ff0000" style="font-size: 12.8px;">."</font>

Are you tracking yet? See what I did is take his statement at face value, and pointed out the real world implications of it. It's why I differentiated between those and shifter karts.

LOL blathering... go read a reason and logic book. He tried to make an allusion that doesn't hold up, of course ARF is known for shitty analogies so it would be no surprise someone would try to defend a shitty one. Guess it was your turn in the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:34:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I've never driven one (I probably wouldn't fit) but there is a guy at work along with some others that go to the track constantly with some very high performance, souped up Miatas and they have an absolute blast.  Apparently, when set up right, they corner & perform extremely well.  Not gay at all.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
ARF is known for shitty analogies
View Quote
Yes, they are the Chuck Nevitt of shitty analogies.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:37:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Never driven a Miata.  However, the off-road variety always make me lol.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:38:14 AM EDT
[#7]
They are fun to drive, but I look silly with my head sticking out of the top.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:38:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you look at a car and start thinking about 2 dudes going at it, the issue might not be with the car...
View Quote
Yep. I'm a large male, very much crave the attention of the gender that carry vaginas for us and I always thought they were cool little cars.

Hell, I'd drive pink one if it was free.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
They’re not practical enough for me anymore....so I bought it’s 4 seat cousin...

Old weekend toy...
Attachment Attached File

New weekend toy/fair weather commuter...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:41:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This is a go-kart
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-q7337/product_images/uploaded_images/theorange.jpg?t=1433348885

Once again, he said "Poke fun all you want, but they <font color="#ff0000" style="font-size: 12.8px;"></font><font color="#ff0000" style="font-size: 12.8px;">handle like a go-kart</font><font color="#ff0000" style="font-size: 12.8px;">."</font>

Are you tracking yet? See what I did is take his statement at face value, and pointed out the real world implications of it. It's why I differentiated between those and shifter karts.

LOL blathering... go read a reason and logic book. He tried to make an allusion that doesn't hold up, of course ARF is known for shitty analogies so it would be no surprise someone would try to defend a shitty one. Guess it was your turn in the barrel.
View Quote
Wait,this is the first time you have ever read the phrase "handles like ago-kart"?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:43:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you look at a car and start thinking about 2 dudes going at it, the issue might not be with the car...
https://i.imgur.com/FaO8Zw9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
Looking up pics of dudes dry humping isn't helping your case
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:44:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This is a go-kart
http://cdn3.bigcommerce.com/s-q7337/product_images/uploaded_images/theorange.jpg?t=1433348885

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a go-kart

/r/iamverysmart is that way....

all that effort to hoist yourself above the masses and make yourself look smart, and you cant get your basic premise correct.

Shifter karts are a type of go-kart.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:52:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is a go-kart

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is a go-kart

I know from your previous posts that you're more intelligent than this quote tree suggests. You're either inebriated, trolling, or some combination of the two.

Not only did you not make any attempt at refuting his very common analogy, but your exact words were: "rickity steering and a throttle that's basically on or off? I would agree."

My post was not at all directed at his analogy. It was a response to your comments.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:58:32 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/FaO8Zw9_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium
The teeth in the grill are badass.  I'd totally drive that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:50:59 AM EDT
[#15]
My first car was a '90 Miata. I still own it and the keys will have to be pried from my cold dead hands.

They're awesome cars, and the first gen is still the best.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:00:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Reading this thread, it seems Miata owners are ALMOST as defensive as 5.7 fanatics, almost.

Hey, it's a free country, live how you want to live.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:02:58 AM EDT
[#17]
OP starts a thread about something being feminine, spells gay like a gay man and includes "soooooooo" in it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Or were you implying like a shifter kart? (which actually handles better than most cars on the road and has better power to weight ratios?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or were you implying like a shifter kart? (which actually handles better than most cars on the road and has better power to weight ratios?)
FIFY
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:14:47 AM EDT
[#19]
I can tell the OP has never driven one.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:18:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Reading this thread, it seems Miata owners are ALMOST as defensive as 5.7 fanatics, almost.

Hey, it's a free country, live how you want to live.
View Quote
Ironically, I posted some somewhat positive comments about them, but I have never even sat in one-- and my daily driver is a diesel F250.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:29:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Other than one or two I may have worked on back when I worked in a shop in the 90s,  I cannot say I have really driven one.

That said,  they look like a hell of alot of fun and you can use it for a weekend racer.

There is usually a few of them at this event they have near me.

2016 Giant's Despair Hill Climb - Mazdaspeed Miata
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#22]
I do wish more convertibles came with a removable hard top option as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 3:40:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I can tell the OP has never driven one.
View Quote
My winter beater is a Z32TT.

I've only ate them up on the track, but that's an unfair comparison.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:37:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Fun little car

But damn they're slow.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 4:58:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:19:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Why do educated adults use apostrophes to pluralize?  The world may never know.

I've never owned a Miata, for what it is worth.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Dat "Cars" grill, dough....
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 5:30:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Because they're convertibles. If they were hard tops no one would give a shit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:36:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They’re not practical enough for me anymore....so I bought it’s 4 seat cousin...

Old weekend toy...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/7F498081-F66A-40F3-B9DF-5C4C5C21B247-434714.JPG

New weekend toy/fair weather commuter...
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2980/730C9229-9DFE-4F69-A828-3689FF0E3190-434695.JPG
View Quote
I recently traded a 2001 Miata for a new 86.  Give me hydraulic steering!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Say that most of the people who do SSCA  racing..

Fun little cars.. nothing gay about it.. unless you are rather insecure or is just jealous..
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:11:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I used to think the same thing until I worked at a shop that specialized in LS swapping them. 500rwhp in a Miata with full suspension and some good tires will change your mind really quick.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I used to think the same thing until I worked at a shop that specialized in LS swapping them. 500rwhp in a Miata with full suspension and some good tires will change your mind really quick.
View Quote
I heard about a place near Boynton Beach who drops LS engines in to Miatas.

Theyre fast as shit.

I just dont don't care for Miatas regardless of what's under the hood.

Out of curiosity, what does a fully swapped out Miata go for?
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:38:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I wouldn't say they are gay per se.
What I remember from 8th grade,(when they came out) the only people I knew who wanted one or even talked about them were teenage girls. So in my mind it became a girls car and I never wanted one based on that I guess. That and in rural Georgia all we (guys) wanted were pickup trucks or muscle cars, LOL.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:39:57 AM EDT
[#34]
I think Miatas got a bad rap because a lot of woman drove them.

I had an early 90s and that car was so much fun to drive. It had 4 point roll bar, factory hard top, coilover suspension, etc.. Just handled like it was on rails...I learned so much about smooth driving with that car. It was hard to get in trouble with a Miata because they handle so predictably. Just a perfect learning tool for anyone that wants to experience rear wheel drive.

The old Miatas are a lot of fun...fun revving engine, great brakes, smooth gear shift that's in the perfect spot, great weight distribution, and top reliability. I remember driving mine up and down the Pacific Coast Highway at night with no purpose...I was just driving to drive.

It's funny, no one every sat around in the 1960's and though "Damn, you drive a Lotus Elan or a Porsche 550 Spyder? What kind of bitch are you?" Guess people were just more comfortable with themselves and understood just how much fun it is to drive lightweight RWD roadster.

To me a Miata (especially the older NA chassis) is the closest equivalent to a 1960's British sports car.

Back in the 60's, owning an Italian or British roadster was usually an undertaking. It wasn't a car you could expect to daily drive and always be in semi-working order with minimal maintenance. You KNEW buying that Alfa Romeo Spider or Bugeye Sprite was a sort of masochism. You were expecting frustration/pain dealing with electrical issues, flimsy interior parts, Italian/English engineering, minimal rust proofing, and chassis technology that was still stuck in the 40s/50s.

BUT..the TLC/ulcers were worth it for the driving experience. The Miata is the same concept but without the maintenance stress.

To me the Miata is the closes thing to a modern day Lotus Elan Sprint. Just the purest definition of a sports car.

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:44:02 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I had an early 90s and that car was so much fun to drive. It had 4 point roll bar, factory hard top, coilover suspension, etc.. Just handled like it was on rails...I learned so much about smooth driving with that car. It was hard to get in trouble with a Miata because they handle so predictably. Just a perfect learning tool for anyone that wants to experience rear wheel drive.

The old Miatas are a lot of fun...fun revving engine, great brakes, smooth gear shift that's in the perfect spot, great weight distribution, and top reliability. I remember driving mine up and down the Pacific Coast Highway at night with no purpose...I was just driving to drive.

It's funny, no one every sat around in the 1960's and though "Damn, you drive a Lotus Elan or a Porsche 550 Spyder? What kind of bitch are you?" Guess people were just more comfortable with themselves and understood just how much fun it is to drive lightweight RWD roadster.

To me a Miata (especially the older NA chassis) is the closest equivalent to a 1960's British sports car.

Back in the 60's, owning an Italian or British roadster was usually an undertaking. It wasn't a car you could expect to daily drive and always be in semi-working order with minimal maintenance. You KNEW buying that Alfa Romeo Spider or Bugeye Sprite was a sort of masochism. You were expecting frustration/pain dealing with electrical issues, flimsy interior parts, Italian/English engineering, minimal rust proofing, and chassis technology that was still stuck in the 40s/50s.

BUT..the TLC/ulcers were worth it for the driving experience. The Miata is the same concept but without the maintenance stress.

To me the Miata is the closes thing to a modern day Lotus Elan Sprint. Just the purest definition of a sports car.

http://i.vimeocdn.com/video/573870599_1280x720.jpg
View Quote
Reminds me of a more modern version of this......

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#36]
This Jackass ruined Miatas for everyone, forever

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:14:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

http://i.vimeocdn.com/video/573870599_1280x720.jpg
View Quote
Yep. Mazda took the Colin Chapman school of thought and actually made the first reliable sports car. No longer did you have a 1:1 ratio of working to driving on a British or Italian sports car. It evolved pretty well from the NA to the NC adding various options and amenities until the ND came out and really knocked it out of the park in the design department. I don't know if they did it on purpose but it picked up where the Z4 left off in the 2 seat roadster department for much less money.

They are also a GREAT VALUE. When we were looking for a convertible sportscar several years ago I *really* wanted an S2000 and the wife really had a fancy for the Mini Cooper Convertible until she was underwhelmed by the power of even the turbo or supercharged S models. Because of the desirability of the S2000 and the well i don't know what makes them so expensive value on the Mini you can get a nice NC Miata for 50-75% of the price and get 90% of the performance. The thing that really won me over was the manual top. I can open and close it with one hand. That's just *that* much less shit to worry about in the long term ownership. It's been an absolute hoot to drive and reminds me of the '79 280zx, '85 RX7 GSL-SE, and '92 240SX SE Coupe I had in my earlier days. If you want a serious track car you can get a NA or NB on the cheap and have an amazing array of aftermarket options available to customize it however want.

As another poster mentioned in this thread if a 2 seater just isn't your cup of tea then you've got the Toyota 86 (formerly Scion FRS)/Subaru BRZ that adds a 2+2 configuration in a nice rwd layout. A new 2.3 turbo Mustang would be a close 2nd with or without the track pack.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:22:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Headlights go up. Happy as fuck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:29:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

QFT.

They are awesome little sports cars.  They make me wish I wasn't so tall, so I could drive one.
View Quote
I'm right at the limit for comfortable driving. Oddly enough the pedals are spaced out enough for my size 13 shoes. Most bigger imports don't even have that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 8:31:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Gay?

miatas are awesome. and the current gen RF is gorgeous.

http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2016/08/2017-Mazda-MX-5-Miata-RF-side-top-up.jpg
View Quote
Saw one at Lowe's yesterday that looked just like that one. I want one!  The latest gens are sexy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:01:17 AM EDT
[#41]
I like the looks of my 03' Mini Cooper S more than the Miata's......and the fact they are supercharged with 225hp ( I have a JCW) makes them more fun also. I never used to like little cars....but they are pretty fun to drive!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#42]
They're not gay.

87% of arfcom is just too fat to fit in one so they call it gay.  

BTW, they're gay.    87%'er here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#43]
These LS conversion Miatas running sub 10 second quarter mile would be fun to drive.

LS1 Turbo Miata vs. Ferrari 458 Italia

Miata Gets V8, Turbo, and Nitrous Treatment, Proceeds to PARTY!
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#44]
they even come in fabulous colors

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#45]

ZFG on OP's misguided autophobic delusions.

Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Miata's are too small for anyone over six feet tall.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:14:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Say that most of the people who do SSCA  racing..

Fun little cars.. nothing gay about it.. unless you are rather insecure or is just jealous..
View Quote
This.  Everyone I know tracks a GT3 (or whatever non-"gay" purpose built track vehicle) has a Miata.  The consumables are cheap and when learning a new road course it's easier to learn in the car that requires less attention and money.  Plus they are fun and if you prang one its not a debacle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#48]
The Miata isn't the type of vehicle I would ever be interested in.

That said, whenever I see a post on the GD asking if this thing or that thing is "Ghey" then I always thinks that the OP is possibly a closet gay himself. Otherwise why would he go around thinking  that an inanimate object is somehow ghey. Spends entirely too much time thinking about gays. Should be spending his time thinking about women.

OP, the Miata isn't and can never be "Ghey".
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:17:51 AM EDT
[#49]
Miatas seem to sort out the guys that ID their sexuality with consumer goods and what other people think from those that don’t really give a fuck what other people believe, and just drive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#50]
No inanimate object is gay.  Sounds like someone who cares too much about what others think of them.  Drive whatever you want.  IDGAF.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top