Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Given that we're shooting em out of our coat pockets, that's not surprising.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  I know it sounds weird but a 70s era Colt Cobra or Detective Special shoots "longer" for me. In that I can shoot them as well or better than a 4" S&W without the extra size/weight. Don't ask for me to explain why because I simply don't know.

With the Cobra/DS you give up a bit of girth due to it being a six-shot over a 5-shot J-Frame but the slight trade-off is more than worth it.

The thing with snub-nosed revolvers and most of the peeps that own them is that they are woefully poor shots much beyond a few paces from what I've seen.

Given that we're shooting em out of our coat pockets, that's not surprising.  

LOL....I noted that too.

I guess if I was going to do that I would have to carry my old flat-latch S&W Model 38 Airweight.

Jokes aside when you add a Tyler T-grip in addition to the OEM stocks they are very controllable.....Can't say about "pocket-fire" though.....I value my pockets.

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:33:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Contact shots. You can stick the barrel in an eye socket or ear canal and fire. Makes it hard to miss under stress.

Can't do that with an auto.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
This thread makes me wish I still had my aluminum frame titanium cylinder Taurus 85.

My shortest revolver is a 3” .460 S&W.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#4]
OP, your paranoia about semi-auto pistol safety is not based in reality. I’ve pocket carried a small semi auto for 20 years. Just use your brain and everything will be fine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I do because I think a carry gun should be ready to fire upon drawing and pulling the trigger without having to dick with safeties or chambering a round. And at the same time, I just don't feel comfortable with how light the trigger on striker fired guns are. And it's not about keeping your finger on it, it's about getting it snagged on something that you didn't know was there. Especially since I like pocket carry (but in a pocket holster). You can argue all you want about police training, but when they went from revolvers to glocks, the incidents of nd's went up tremendously. You can argue that cops get stupider or aren't trained as well, but nd's with revolvers were pretty rare. And there's also the reliability issue when you are talking small guns. Most modern service sized and even compact semi autos are very reliable. But when you step down into the subcompact class, they can be a bit more finicky on how you hold them, what ammo you use etc. I hope 6 rounds will be enough, and I think it would because they say the average citizen involved self defense encounter has between 1 and 3 shots fired. It might be my funeral, but I like carrying my ruger lcr.
View Quote

I disagree with some of your reasons but I don’t have a problem with you carrying a revolver. They don’t go OOB and that’s nice.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:23:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

And fires from inside a purse or coat pocket...

@03RN
@BigEasySnow
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  Doesn’t drop casings…

And fires from inside a purse or coat pocket...

@03RN
@BigEasySnow

Coat pocket, sure. Purse? You know what I think about purse carry. It’s too early to foam at the mouth or I’d post you a nice tirade.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:24:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've had a ccw permit for 12 years and i've never really felt comfortable carrying an auto unless it either had a manual safety or even worse, I didn't carry it with a loaded chamber. And after seeing how quick self defense situations happen and realizing you aren't gonna probably have time to mess with safeties or chambering a round, I wanted something that was ready to fire when I draw and pull the trigger immediately but I also could feel very comfortable carrying knowing that theres no way the gun is gonna discharge unless I intentionally pull the trigger and no safeties or anything else to deal with. I had many autos before it, but then I realized the revolver was what I was looking for all along.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t own a revolver, but OP is right.

In most self defense shooting I’d wager sights are likely never seen and triggers jerked with the force of a thousand dying suns.

Yet the owner lives to get their gun taken away for evidence processing

I've had a ccw permit for 12 years and i've never really felt comfortable carrying an auto unless it either had a manual safety or even worse, I didn't carry it with a loaded chamber. And after seeing how quick self defense situations happen and realizing you aren't gonna probably have time to mess with safeties or chambering a round, I wanted something that was ready to fire when I draw and pull the trigger immediately but I also could feel very comfortable carrying knowing that theres no way the gun is gonna discharge unless I intentionally pull the trigger and no safeties or anything else to deal with. I had many autos before it, but then I realized the revolver was what I was looking for all along.

Good lord. Get some training.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:24:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
GP100, if you run out of ammo, just beat them to death with it
View Quote

fuckin' a.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:28:48 AM EDT
[#9]
The same reason as the last 20 years.

S&W 340PD.

It’s light, balanced/shaped nicely for pocket carry or IWB when I need a bit deeper concealment in a caliber that’s not .380.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:54:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Revolvers are capacity deficient, ok as "back up".

My three carry guns, depending on shirt:
Glock 23
Glock 20SF
Glock 35 with 357 Sig barrel.

"Back up" is Kahr PM9 with CorBon 115+P
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#11]
It will not break if you drop it, try that with your Glock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Have those of you saying that revolvers are super complicated under the sideplate ever done a full frame strip on a semiauto pistol?

I've had both of my revolvers completely stripped to the frame (other than removing the barrels), which is more than I can say for most of my autos.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Doesn’t drop casings…
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:18:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I carry the smaller version in leather.
I'm not following what you're trying to say.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not understanding the "chamber a round" and messing with a safety thing.
S&W M&P, 1 in the pipe, no safety, 14 more just like it in the mag.

You obviously kydex, not leather...
I carry the smaller version in leather.
I'm not following what you're trying to say.

Thought process was about hard vs soft holster material & how that seems to be an influence with some folks wanting an external safety vs not.

Seems that more folks that use kydex don't carry a pistol with an external safety while more folks that use leather do.

Just a perceived stereotype is all...
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
but nd's with revolvers were pretty rare.
View Quote

It is accurate to say there were fewer of them because of the revolver's longer, heavier trigger press. But this does not mean they were rare.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#16]

Yeah, no.

9mm revolvers are a lovely idea but have never worked right. Moon clips or half moon clips bend easily, locking the revolver up bad enough to need tools to fix it.

As for close quarters use, if someone is capable of pushing the slide out of battery they can just as easily clamp down on the cylinder or hammer and stop the action from working.

Keeping a revolver functioning properly requires a lot of care in how they are handled...which most folks these days do not have.

Revolvers are by no means simple. They are a complicated, finicky mechanism that doesn't do well in dirty environments or in the hands of people who do not understand complex and delicate machinery. Anyone who really knows revolvers can go to any store, pick up a used revolver, and spot multiple problems due to manufacturing defect, poor maintenance, or bad handling.

Revolvers handle neglect better than semi-autos. I have a S&W model 38 that is a good example...purchased by a jeweler in the north east. He bought the gun, loaded it, and carried it daily for years. (Never fired it) When I got the revolver there was enough crud in the action from years of carry with no lube so that it barely functioned. It made it through five trigger pulls, but that was it...it had to be disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and reassembled. Because the guy had never used the gun...including never unloading it...the yoke and crane don't have any problems which was nice.

Of course, the barrel isn't timed just right so it shoots significantly to the left. Thanks S&W.

That revolver would have worked for the cylinder of ammo in it should he have needed it...and the maybe three rounds that would have gone off...but that's it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It's why I carry a revolver

I just shoot my 3" better than my 4" semi autos, which is kinda odd

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/391660/20210507_192818-1933654.jpg
View Quote

A revolver's trigger helps resist several bad trigger control habits shooters are prone to have. That alone helps a lot of people shoot them a bit better.

So it's not at all uncommon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:33:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Have those of you saying that revolvers are super complicated under the sideplate ever done a full frame strip on a semiauto pistol?

I've had both of my revolvers completely stripped to the frame (other than removing the barrels), which is more than I can say for most of my autos.
View Quote
Yeah, Berettas, Glocks, classic Sigs, and  1911s.  But I've been trained to do maintenance on most of those.

Revolvers are a mystery inside for me. I'm sure with a bit of training I would be fine.  But right now I don't mess with them. I have friends that do revolver tuning and repair.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:36:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Do to arthritis I've been carrying revolvers because it's been difficult to rack the slide on my autos.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

My 351c

I am carrying this most of the time with 2 stripper reloads in my other pocket.  

7 shots of Hornady critical defense 22 magnum is controversial to most people except the ones being shot at.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:38:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2153/image_jpg-1959392.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2153/image_jpg-1959393.JPG

My 351c

7 shots of Hornady critical defense 22 magnum is controversial to most people except the ones being shot at.  

View Quote

I have one of the older ones with an exposed hammer........great little revolvers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:39:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2153/image_jpg-1959392.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2153/image_jpg-1959393.JPG

My 351c

View Quote
Nice, it'll do the job.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

My 351c

View Quote

Seven shots with 12-14” of penetration and 35 caliber expansion with near zero recoil in an 11oz package isn’t controversial it’s pretty good. My only question is where’d you get speed strips for it.

ETA: The wife commandeered mine after shooting though in fairness I initially bought it for her to try out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:44:22 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I know it sounds weird but a 70s era Colt Cobra or Detective Special shoots "longer" for me. In that I can shoot them as well or better than a 4" S&W without the extra size/weight. Don't ask for me to explain why because I simply don't know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I know it sounds weird but a 70s era Colt Cobra or Detective Special shoots "longer" for me. In that I can shoot them as well or better than a 4" S&W without the extra size/weight. Don't ask for me to explain why because I simply don't know.

Probably mostly happening because of the way the stocks fit your hands.

The thing with snub-nosed revolvers and most of the peeps that own them is that they are woefully poor shots much beyond a few paces from what I've seen.

Yup.

They are carried either by people who can't hit anything with them, or by people who are expert handgunners who have chosen one because of a host of considerations.

I know a number of the expert handgunner types, including a few who have had to use a snub in defense. To a man they all confessed that in the moment they'd have much rather had something else.

It's a very limited tool. An extremely skilled hand can do an amazing amount of work with such a limited tool...but that extremely skilled hand is still limited by the tool and they know it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:46:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Good lord. Get some training.
View Quote

Giving new meaning to the phrase "From the mouths of babes"
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It will not break if you drop it, try that with your Glock.
View Quote

ACKSHUALLY mode engaged...

I've broken a revolver by dropping it. Turns out that revolvers react very poorly to landing on their cylinder when they hit concrete. Poorly enough that the gun needs to go visit a guy with some specialized tools to unfuck the yoke and crane.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:52:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Seven shots with 12-14” of penetration and 35 caliber expansion with near zero recoil in an 11oz package isn’t controversial it’s pretty good. My only question is where’d you get speed strips for it.

ETA: The wife commandeered mine after shooting though in fairness I initially bought it for her to try out.
View Quote
Pricey but they are available here.  

Cheaper different model here.......go down to middle of page.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:52:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Plenty of times.

The thing about revolvers is how many things each part is doing and that each of those things needs to happen within a very narrow window of time/space. A semi-auto requires the trigger to move a striker or hammer with a trigger bar that on its way back has to knock a plunger out of the way so a firing pin/striker can go forward. No biggie.

A revolver has to rotate the chamber underneath the moving hammer and lock it in place at right about the moment that the hammer has to fall to fire the shot. This is loads more complicated and the interaction of the parts reflects that. Not to mention that whole rotating the chamber is dealing with a rotating mass that is a significant chunk of the weight of the gun...and it has to rotate pretty much without any wobble whether it is turning slow or turning at a speed of multiple revolutions per second.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#29]

It's nice to have a gun that has three dot night sights, won't snag on the draw, is relatively dehorned, and will work with any/all ammo you might find without any risk of malfunctioning, considering the paucity of selection these days.

I'm not suggesting that someone CCW without testing the load through their gun first, but the traditional wisdom of testing 200 rounds to ensure minimum standards of reliability in a semi auto is damn near impossible during panics (or is extremely expensive).

Is it ideal?  Not really.  But these days, I'm leaving my quality 9mm available for my bedside guns.

Also, I just enjoy revolvers.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Revolver for back-ups only
View Quote

That is why I have a 442.  

I want to draw & shoot also, I carry a Glock.  Not sure why in 2021 people are not comfortable carry a SA chambered with no external safety.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:58:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Its good to be familiar with a variety of pistols.

I like to own , carry, shoot , as many different designs as possible.

Over the last 25 years of shooting , I have settled on what I like.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 10:58:40 AM EDT
[#32]
https://revolverguy.com/

For those who like revolvers, I recommend that blog.

Nothing wrong with liking revolvers. If you're going to carry one, though, train to use it well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pricey but they are available here.  

Cheaper different model here.......go down to middle of page.

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Plenty of times.

The thing about revolvers is how many things each part is doing and that each of those things needs to happen within a very narrow window of time/space. A semi-auto requires the trigger to move a striker or hammer with a trigger bar that on its way back has to knock a plunger out of the way so a firing pin/striker can go forward. No biggie.

A revolver has to rotate the chamber underneath the moving hammer and lock it in place at right about the moment that the hammer has to fall to fire the shot. This is loads more complicated and the interaction of the parts reflects that. Not to mention that whole rotating the chamber is dealing with a rotating mass that is a significant chunk of the weight of the gun...and it has to rotate pretty much without any wobble whether it is turning slow or turning at a speed of multiple revolutions per second.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Plenty of times.

That's fair from a perspective of what each part does, but I don't think most modern revolvers are all that difficult to take down and reassemble. It's easier on one of the new Colts than stripping down a CZ75 sear cage.

Quoted:

Nothing wrong with liking revolvers. If you're going to carry one, though, train to use it well.

And that is the case for everything.

(reiterating your point, not arguing)
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:  LOL....I noted that too.

I guess if I was going to do that I would have to carry my old flat-latch S&W Model 38 Airweight.

https://images.gunsinternational.com/listings_sub/acc_401/gi_100845119/SMITH-and-WESSON-MODEL-38-BODYGUARD-AIRWEIGHT-38-SPECIAL_100845119_401_87E06EC51FB6BE68.jpg

Jokes aside when you add a Tyler T-grip in addition to the OEM stocks they are very controllable.....Can't say about "pocket-fire" though.....I value my pockets.
View Quote

Bobbed hammers, shielded hammers, and internal DAO hammers on carry revolvers are all there to keep the hammer from snagging on the draw from the pocket.  Firing from the pocket, if the pocket is loose enough to allow the cylinder to rotate, the exposed hammer has enough room to work just fine.

When you practice pocket firing, I would suggest a stop by your local Goodwill haberdashery first.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:05:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

That's fair from a perspective of what each part does, but I don't think most modern revolvers are all that difficult to take down and reassemble.
View Quote

What's difficult is ensuring that the various parts of the revolver fit together right and are within their right tolerances. You can very easily end up with a revolver that looks like it works right until you start shooting it and find the action binds up half way through a cylinder. (BTDT)
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:07:10 AM EDT
[#37]
I use my LCR 357 at work as a BUG and sometimes I carry it off duty.

Why?

It cant come out of battery in a ground fight.

I can shoot it out of a pocket.

110 JHPs are nasty as fuck even from a short barrel.

I practice with it and can shoot it well, even with full house loads (although I practice with .38spl).

And at close contact distances even if I miss, the target will be deaf and their hair will be singed off from the fireball

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:08:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  That is why I have a 442.  

I want to draw & shoot also, I carry a Glock.  Not sure why in 2021 people are not comfortable carry a SA chambered with no external safety.  
View Quote

Glocks are not Single Action.  They're about one & a half action, as are most of the striker fired pistols on the market to one degree or another.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:10:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Doesn’t drop casings…
View Quote

and the winner is
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Tuff products makes these.  Work really well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:19:36 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

My 351c

View Quote

That’s a gorgeous little snubbie.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/2153/DE38380F-8CD0-45DE-8220-6A55BA97FEE1_jpe-1959432.JPG

Tuff products makes these.  Work really well.

Link......make sure to select the .22mag in option box.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

Because they have no training.  They lack confidence from a lack of competence.  

A revolver is inferior in almost every aspect than an Glock mp etc.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 11:55:28 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Glocks are not Single Action.  They're about one & a half action, as are most of the striker fired pistols on the market to one degree or another.
View Quote

They are effectively a single action. No, if the sear were to magically fracture they couldn't set off a round, but they also must be manually cocked absent recoil to actuate the slide.

I'm a fan of the P99.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not understanding the "chamber a round" and messing with a safety thing.

S&W M&P, 1 in the pipe, no safety, 14 more just like it in the mag.

No, leather.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Why not carry a revolver in 2021?
View Quote

I prefer large frame auto's, but to each their own.

Good reply ... why not?
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Doesn’t drop casings…
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:52:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yeah, no.

9mm revolvers are a lovely idea but have never worked right. Moon clips or half moon clips bend easily, locking the revolver up bad enough to need tools to fix it.

As for close quarters use, if someone is capable of pushing the slide out of battery they can just as easily clamp down on the cylinder or hammer and stop the action from working.

Keeping a revolver functioning properly requires a lot of care in how they are handled...which most folks these days do not have.

Revolvers are by no means simple. They are a complicated, finicky mechanism that doesn't do well in dirty environments or in the hands of people who do not understand complex and delicate machinery. Anyone who really knows revolvers can go to any store, pick up a used revolver, and spot multiple problems due to manufacturing defect, poor maintenance, or bad handling.

Revolvers handle neglect better than semi-autos. I have a S&W model 38 that is a good example...purchased by a jeweler in the north east. He bought the gun, loaded it, and carried it daily for years. (Never fired it) When I got the revolver there was enough crud in the action from years of carry with no lube so that it barely functioned. It made it through five trigger pulls, but that was it...it had to be disassembled, cleaned, lubricated, and reassembled. Because the guy had never used the gun...including never unloading it...the yoke and crane don't have any problems which was nice.

Of course, the barrel isn't timed just right so it shoots significantly to the left. Thanks S&W.

That revolver would have worked for the cylinder of ammo in it should he have needed it...and the maybe three rounds that would have gone off...but that's it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah, no.

While someone can stop a revolver by grabbing the cylinder it will go bang when they let go.

If a semi is pushed out of battery, not by the assailant but by me, and the trigger pulled it will need to be cycled. If the slide is impeded in a scrape while being shot and it doesn't cycle it will need remedial action.

Shooting with a compromised grip while in a car or in a ground fight the revolver is better as well.

Again, those are not reasons to pick a revolver but they are benefits.
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 12:58:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glocks win in the capacity/reloading speed aspect but I cant think of anything else
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:14:13 PM EDT
[#50]
I sometimes carry a revolver and a single stack 9mm at the same time. Works for me.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top