Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:17:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:

In both of these cases the parents were wildly negligent with a kid they would have known has mental illness. The first thing the guy in MI did after he heard about the shooting was go to check if the gun was still there. If reports are to be believed from the latest one it is of the same caliber of willful negligence.  Neither of these were, "Jonny snapped one day out of the blue, stole the parents gun, and killed people." There was a trail of obvious mental illness that was blatantly ignored by the parents. If you provide ready access of a firearm to a minor in that setting, you are taking responsibility for the consequences of that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RedFox1911:
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
A slippery slope that I am good with.  Parents are responsible for everything their minor children do or fail to do.

In both of these cases the parents were wildly negligent with a kid they would have known has mental illness. The first thing the guy in MI did after he heard about the shooting was go to check if the gun was still there. If reports are to be believed from the latest one it is of the same caliber of willful negligence.  Neither of these were, "Jonny snapped one day out of the blue, stole the parents gun, and killed people." There was a trail of obvious mental illness that was blatantly ignored by the parents. If you provide ready access of a firearm to a minor in that setting, you are taking responsibility for the consequences of that.

In these two cases though, it wasn't just ready access, they went out and bought their kids the guns and ammo used in the shootings knowing the sons had mental issues.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:19:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By David0858:

The one in MI was even more blatant. Mom and dad absolutely KNEW their 15yo son had mental issues but still bought him a 9mm and ammo.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By David0858:
Originally Posted By wyomingnick:
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
Dad buys gun for a minor child under age 18 that can not legally purchase the gun themselves ------> Child uses that gun to shoot up a school and kill 4 people and injure many others

Seems pretty clear to me. That father is responsible for that gun and what the child does with it until age 18.

Not always necessarily true.

It's only happening here because the father may have had reasons to suspect his son had made threats.

Without that, it'd be a complete bullshit case. It isn't illegal to give your minor child a rifle.

But if that child is known to have problems obviously it can be different.

The one in MI was even more blatant. Mom and dad absolutely KNEW their 15yo son had mental issues but still bought him a 9mm and ammo.

I agree the charges were reasonable in Michigan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]

The cops said they couldn't be sure where the threats came from or who made them. I don't think it was as clear cut as some here make it. Regardless this has already been debated in the main thread, and I'm not trying to rehash it. This father may in fact be guilty, but the idea that a father of a healthy normal kid that hasn't previously made threats or acted violent would automatically be guilty if his kid misuses a gun from the home is ridiculous.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

Not always necessarily true.

It's only happening here because the father may have had reasons to suspect his son had made threats.

Without that, it'd be a complete bullshit case. It isn't illegal to give your minor child a rifle.

But if that child is known to have problems obviously it can be different.

Suspect? He bought the AR for him after a visit from the police department over threats his son made. The dad had a beer in his hand when he answered the door and talked to the cops. It wasn't a Saturday or Sunday either.

Maybe it's my personal opinion but any parent that buys their kid a gun, any type of gun, and gives them unfettered access to it after knowing they have made threats against life and are a danger to other law abiding citizens should be charged.

The kid needed mental health help but instead the father bought him a gun. It was either he suicides or attempts to suicide by taking other lives. If the kid swallowed the muzzle this wouldn't even be a debate.

The cops said they couldn't be sure where the threats came from or who made them. I don't think it was as clear cut as some here make it. Regardless this has already been debated in the main thread, and I'm not trying to rehash it. This father may in fact be guilty, but the idea that a father of a healthy normal kid that hasn't previously made threats or acted violent would automatically be guilty if his kid misuses a gun from the home is ridiculous.

From the police interview, the father knew the son had mental problems.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:28:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
Prosecutors last week charged the father of an accused school shooter in Georgia with crimes including second-degree murder, a move that comes six months after the parents of a Michigan school shooter were convicted of manslaughter. Will this become the new normal?

Going forward, should we expect the parents of teenaged mass killers to face criminal charges stemming from the actions of their children?
View Quote

Yes. You should be responsible for any shit that any dogs of yours do.

If you turned your shit loose UNSUPERVISED and it came over into my yard and tore shit up - You should be liable.

If you don't want to be charged with stuff - TRAIN YOUR SHIT before you unleash it on the rest of us.

You ARE responsible if it ain't a legal adult yet.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:30:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: victorgonzales] [#5]
I don't think parents should be charged with the crime their kids commit but they should face some criminal or legal consequences of their kids are committing felonies.  Your kids are your responsibility.  The world would be a lot better place if parents were accountable for their children's actions.   If you aren't ready to raise child that doesn't victimize others then don't fucking have kids.

The problem with this is selective justice.  They will never prosecute hood parents for their kids crimes which is where most of the violent crime comes from
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Aaron56:

If you turned your shit loose UNSUPERVISED and it came over into my yard and tore shit up - You should be liable.

If you don't want to be charged with stuff - TRAIN YOUR SHIT before you unleash it on the rest of us.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Aaron56:
Originally Posted By SamBoga:
Prosecutors last week charged the father of an accused school shooter in Georgia with crimes including second-degree murder, a move that comes six months after the parents of a Michigan school shooter were convicted of manslaughter. Will this become the new normal?

Going forward, should we expect the parents of teenaged mass killers to face criminal charges stemming from the actions of their children?

Criminal and civil responsibility are different things.

Yes you're civilly responsible to pay for damages, it doesn't mean you are criminally liable for something another human does.

Obviously extreme negligence can change this, but an automatic criminal charge just because your kid commits a crime is ridiculous and sounds more like the USSR than America.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:53:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
I don't think parents should be charged with the crime their kids commit but they should face some criminal or legal consequences of their kids are committing felonies.  Your kids are your responsibility.  The world would be a lot better place if parents were accountable for their children's actions.   If you aren't ready to raise child that doesn't victimize others then don't fucking have kids.

The problem with this is selective justice.  They will never prosecute hood parents for their kids crimes which is where most of the violent crime comes from
View Quote
There was a recent case in milwaukee of a kid who was 13 when he was a passenger in a stolen car on a police chase. 14 when he stole a car. And recently 15 when he mugged and beat up a 70 something nurse in a hospital parking lot, stole her car, and then ran from the police. He told the detectives he thought he could overpower the woman in so many words which is why he attacked her.

I'd be fine with being much much more firm with him and making his parents ineligible for any gov benefits including EBT, social security, etc... It wouldn't fix all of them but this shit is getting old.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 12:54:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:

View Quote

You can't always control how someone else behaves. No matter how hard you try. Obviously good parenting makes a difference and is often going to make the difference but not always

Not to mention the government gets involved and charges you with child abuse if you discipline them too harshly.

Now they want to prosecute you if they don't turn out right.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 3:54:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:
If it was about public safety, they would apply it to the parents of gang members who murder, rob, rape...

Seems pretty clear there's an ulterior motive.
View Quote

Truth.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:10:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AEROMechanic] [#10]
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

How far down that slope are you willing to go? The nature of slippery slopes is that once you let someone else get you started down one, you don't get to decide when it stops.

So if the "disturbed" kid steals his dad's gun and kills somebody, dad should go to prison for not doing a better job securing his gun. Why should that apply only to his kid? What if it was a disturbed neighbor that stole the gun? Gun owner still should have kept it secured right? Why should you be expected to secure your firearm from your own family, but not from complete strangers?

Back to the kid... What if instead of the gun, junior stole Dad's car and ran somebody down. Dad goes to prison for not securing the car, right? The "allowing a drink to drive" laws generally require proving that the car owner knew the person was drunk and still allowed them to drive at that moment. I've never heard of a law that would allow the charging of a car owner because the drunk took their car without their permission or knowledge because the car owner left the keys out where the drunk could find them. But maybe we should!

What about that knife block on the kitchen counter...you're just going to leave those out there, where any upset kid could grab a 10 inch butcher knife and hurt someone? That's no different than leaving a gun laying around - at least not to the dead kids' parents.

"Not one more inch! Well, except that inch. That one doesn't seem so bad. Go ahead and take that one."
View Quote

Except he didn’t steal the gun. After making school threats in his original school and having to be moved to a new school district, his father bought him a rifle for Christmas.

It’s a shit show all around to be sure the father deserves charges
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]

According to some in this thread yes.

View Quote

That’s completely different from what happened but, whatever.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:19:21 AM EDT
[#12]
The mother of the shooter at sandy hook was just as guilty but he killed here and saved the prosecutor the effort of indicting her.
Parents that let fucked up kids have access to guns when they know their kid has mental problems should be indicted.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:38:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Mooseless:
As with everything else, this will be used as a tool to punish those the state disfavors and not their pets.
View Quote

This is where I’m at .

I do understand the reasoning , but 10 years from now parents will be going to jail because their kid didn’t call someone by their preferred pronouns .
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By himajin1:

If a person gifts their tarded kid who looks like a school shooter, acts like a school shooter an AR15 for Christmas and then allow him to have access to said rifles and the tarded kid shoots up a school … you get everything you fucking deserve.  Hope the whole family dies in jail.
View Quote

Pretty much.

Good gun owners understand this, you don't just start handing out rifles to kids with known mental issues then act surprised when they do something horrific.

In this case in particular the father was as close to a partner in the crime as you can get without going and helping shoot the place up. Fucking idiot. His actions directly contributed to the outcome.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:55:01 AM EDT
[#15]
The dad in Georgia was grossly negligent. Some posters here need to stop concocting scenarios to try to cover for him.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 5:59:30 AM EDT
[#16]
The only reason I'm not ok with parents getting charged is the left has been dismantling the notion of family for decades now.   You can't destroy the foundational principles necessary to raise good children then prosecute the parents for not raising good kids.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Could this be extended to the school, social workers, or LEOs that knew he was a danger?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:08:54 AM EDT
[#18]
My issue is that it won't be universal.

Joe Blow middle class guy had guns his kid had access to? Throw the book at him.

Mary Jane Rottencrotch bought a BMW X3 obviously should be charged for her kid driving 100mph and killing someone.

But Shaniqua who's kid has been found to be slinging dope and being a gang banger who lights up the Bodega with a switched Glock definitely isn't responsible because she "is doing the best she can" and "we don't want to stigmatize".
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:12:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Oldgold:
Could this be extended to the school, social workers, or LEOs that knew he was a danger?
View Quote

Did they go out and buy him a rifle?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

This.

Both recent cases where the parents were charged they were 100% liable.

If I was on first jury would have been 100% guilty.

From what I know about the most recent one the dad belongs in prison
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By racer765:
not going to read a 4 page gd post.  

parent buys the gun?  

parent gives gun to disturbed minor?

parent fails to secure firearms?

disturbed minor uses firearm to kill people.  

I'm in.  charge the parent.  

minors are NOT RESPONSIBLE legally.  

18 years old?  ok, MAYBE, the parent has no liability, if the disturbed NON MINOR is no longer living at home.  

minor, living at home?  with unsecured firearms?  goes on a killing spree with the parent purchased firearm?

charge the parent.  what charges?  meh.  don't gaf.  local ag/prosecutor will get what he can get.  but every parent who buys a gun for a minor had damn well better understand that the parent is on the hook for some liability when their kid goes nuts.  so make sure your kid doesn't go nuts with a firearm.  if that means you don't trust them with firearms and you need to lock everything up, so be it.  but giving a 16 year old free access to weapons?  when they are obviously displaying signs of mental disturbance?  sorry, you get some liability.  dipshit.

This.

Both recent cases where the parents were charged they were 100% liable.

If I was on first jury would have been 100% guilty.

From what I know about the most recent one the dad belongs in prison

So if the parents are charged are we not charging the under age kid as an adult?  You can not have it both ways.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:18:00 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By UV18:

Yes they are. They are responsible for their criminal actions.

This is really pushing on the vicarious liability side where you are responsible for any of your agents.

Either we allow the kids to be responsible for their actions or we don't. If I left my keys out and the 17 year old takes the car and kills someone, should I be charged too?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By UV18:
Originally Posted By racer765:

minors are NOT RESPONSIBLE legally.  

Yes they are. They are responsible for their criminal actions.

This is really pushing on the vicarious liability side where you are responsible for any of your agents.

Either we allow the kids to be responsible for their actions or we don't. If I left my keys out and the 17 year old takes the car and kills someone, should I be charged too?

No you should not.  The kid should be charged as an adult.  Stealing a car should be added to the other charges.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:20:17 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:

Except he didn’t steal the gun. After making school threats in his original school and having to be moved to a new school district, his father bought him a rifle for Christmas.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AEROMechanic:
Originally Posted By Gunner226:

How far down that slope are you willing to go? The nature of slippery slopes is that once you let someone else get you started down one, you don't get to decide when it stops.

So if the "disturbed" kid steals his dad's gun and kills somebody, dad should go to prison for not doing a better job securing his gun. Why should that apply only to his kid? What if it was a disturbed neighbor that stole the gun? Gun owner still should have kept it secured right? Why should you be expected to secure your firearm from your own family, but not from complete strangers?

Back to the kid... What if instead of the gun, junior stole Dad's car and ran somebody down. Dad goes to prison for not securing the car, right? The "allowing a drink to drive" laws generally require proving that the car owner knew the person was drunk and still allowed them to drive at that moment. I've never heard of a law that would allow the charging of a car owner because the drunk took their car without their permission or knowledge because the car owner left the keys out where the drunk could find them. But maybe we should!

What about that knife block on the kitchen counter...you're just going to leave those out there, where any upset kid could grab a 10 inch butcher knife and hurt someone? That's no different than leaving a gun laying around - at least not to the dead kids' parents.

"Not one more inch! Well, except that inch. That one doesn't seem so bad. Go ahead and take that one."

This topic of this thread isn't what happened in that shooting. The topic is the slippery slope, and where it will lead. I am saying this is a slippery slope that seems to be picking up steam.

I'll ask again: if the kid had run down kids at a bus stop with his car, or stabbed them to death with a knife from his kitchen, or beat them to death with the baseball bat dad got him for Christmas, would you still be saying Dad needs to go to prison? Why not? Are you agreeing with liberals that guns are "different" and must have different laws applied to control them? What happened to "if someone can't be trusted with a gun they shouldn't be walking around in public in the first place."
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:26:02 AM EDT
[#23]
I wonder how many generations the government will put in jail, just the parents or the grandparents and siblings too.

Just like in mother Russia with their political dissidents.

The Harris will fill the gulags with political prisoners.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#24]
It is the Democrats' way of acting tough against crime. It ignores reality. In some cases, the parents are the first victims of these events. Do we go after parents of gang members, arsonists, and criminal mobs? Some of these parents may not get the Parent of the Year award but this is little more than vigilanteism. If you got to hang someone; the bigger the hanging, the better, right? Why not hand the teachers and administrators? They spend more time with the students than most parents nowadays.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:33:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#25]
A slippery slope that I am good with.
View All Quotes
A slippery slope that I am good with.
Yeah, I can't see any way an attitude like that could come back to bite you in the ass.

As with everything else, this will be used as a tool to punish those the state disfavors and not their pets.
This was my first thought. I know a group whose children are responsible for an insane amount of violent crime. Are we going there?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:37:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By himajin1:

If a person gifts their tarded kid who looks like a school shooter, acts like a school shooter an AR15 for Christmas and then allow him to have access to said rifles and the tarded kid shoots up a school … you get everything you fucking deserve.  Hope the whole family dies in jail.
View Quote

Tell us what a school shooter looks like. If you are such a great judge of character, should we also hold the school staff responsible? They knew he was on the watch list. They also spent twice as much time with the students than the parents.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:41:02 AM EDT
[#27]
It is already bad to begin with.

That other parents that brought the handgun for their teen age son that kicked off the slipery road.

Soon, drunk drivers can sue liquor manufacturers.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:50:15 AM EDT
[#28]

Did they buy the gun for the kid who they knew wasn’t mentally well and had a history of making threats?

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:
Charging single mothers of inner city youth as well?

Did they buy the gun for the kid who they knew wasn’t mentally well and had a history of making threats?

Maybe, maybe not. But they allow them to go outside damn well knowing they will be doing something illegal and likely has a propensity for violence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:50:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

Did they go out and buy him a rifle?
View Quote

They can steal them or break into a storage locker. A boltcutter on a cable lock is no big deal. Then what? How about a bottle of gas?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By 999monkeys:
Yep, this is a horrible idea.

It logically has to extend to vehicular homicide, theft, rape, etc

Any crime a minor commits.
View Quote

Your gun, your responsibility.  Not just your minors, either.  Backyard sell a gun, it’s still your name on the transfer.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:02:21 AM EDT
[#31]
If you are going to charge the kid as an adult, then stop treating them as kids.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:06:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AR18:
It is already bad to begin with.

That other parents that brought the handgun for their teen age son that kicked off the slipery road.

Soon, drunk drivers can sue liquor manufacturers.
View Quote

no, not sue. the ceo or corp. heads will be arrested aiding & abetting. i see no difference.

Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#33]
View Quote

Ooo.. good point.

From what some people have been pointing to online the FBI visited the house several times. The school knew of his issue. The psych folks most certainly knew of the issue.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:08:48 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Arty8:

But not the grandmother of the mass murderer of the Waukesha Christmas parade attack.....why wasn't she charged?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By takdriver:
If you can prove that the owner of a vehicle allowed a drunk to drive their vehicle, the owners are often charged too. A good example of easy to prove is if the owner is not the driver, but are in the vehicle.

But not the grandmother of the mass murderer of the Waukesha Christmas parade attack.....why wasn't she charged?

Did she facilitate someone that she knew had potential to become violent?

This isn't necessarily a false argument, but im sure government will abuse it, just like it does all laws, & politics will be determining factor in the selective application. Contemporary government has demonstrated how untrustworthy it is.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:14:55 AM EDT
[#35]
Imho, Vanderbilt should be charged in that Audrey/Aiden Hale school shooting.
Treated her for 20 years and let her remain a danger to herself and others.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:15:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Silverbulletz06:

Ooo.. good point.

From what some people have been pointing to online the FBI visited the house several times. The school knew of his issue. The psych folks most certainly knew of the issue.
View All Quotes

Ooo.. good point.

It’s a bit strange how often high profile mass shooters have a similar story, where there is at least some forewarning.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:39:54 AM EDT
[#37]
All parents should be held accountable for all the crimes of their minor children.

Public whippings for both the kid and the parent for property crimes would stop a lot of this before it escalates to real violence.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:46:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#38]
Originally Posted By runcible:
This was my first thought. I know a group whose children are responsible for an insane amount of violent crime. Are we going there?
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

We should. We absolutely should go there.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:03:06 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

In Michigan, in my opinion, the school was criminally negligent in how they handled the almost imminent threat from the would be shooter.

People at the school should have been charged
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#41]
It's called accepting responsibility (which seem to be too big of a word for many to comprehend) for your actions.  If your kid is not old enough to buy the gun on their own and you buy it for them and give them free access to it, you are RESPONSIBLE for what happens with that gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#42]
My issue is that it won't be universal.

Joe Blow middle class guy had guns his kid had access to? Throw the book at him.

Mary Jane Rottencrotch bought a BMW X3 obviously should be charged for her kid driving 100mph and killing someone.

But Shaniqua who's kid has been found to be slinging dope and being a gang banger who lights up the Bodega with a switched Glock definitely isn't responsible because she "is doing the best she can" and "we don't want to stigmatize".
View Quote

You’re missing the whole point and concocting fantasy scenarios in your head.

Did Shaniqua buy the Glock for her son after he made threat about killing people?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#43]
For those who say hang the parents. What age should be the cut off for parental responsibility? 15? 16? 18? 21? 25? 87? Maybe as long as they are living under the same roof? Same rules for step parents? foster parents? grandparents? Uncles? Aunts? Guy down the street that talks to the kid and pays him to cut the grass? As pointed out above how about the school system? guidance counselor? The local troubled youth program? Where is the line? Who the hell will volunteer to help fucked up kids when they know they can go to prison for trying to help?
Smile and wave boys...
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:34:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By bayouhazard:
If it was about public safety, they would apply it to the parents of gang members who murder, rob, rape...

Seems pretty clear there's an ulterior motive.
View Quote

We've been charging parents (who obviously dont give a fuck what their offspring do) for several years now.  Want to give birth, you get to be responsible for what they do (to a degree).
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#45]
The safe storage law they passed up in Michigan is doing a fine job of locking up people of color.......I didn't know if that was the original intent....but that's what's happening.
View Quote

Ain't nobody going after the parents of gang bang shooters.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

View Quote

Would they be charged with felonious bukkake?
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Homernomer:

View Quote

Chicago going to need much bigger jails.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:43:26 AM EDT
[#48]
C'mon man.  

Who doesn't enjoy a society where everyone is a criminal (at the whims of the state, of course).
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Kin punishment is the practice of punishing the family members of someone who is accused of committing a crime, either in place of or in addition to the perpetrator of the crime. It refers to the principle in which a family shares responsibility for a crime which is committed by one of its members, and it is a form of collective punishment. Kin punishment has been used as a form of extortion, harassment, and persecution by authoritarian and totalitarian states. Kin punishment has been practiced historically in Nazi Germany, China, Japan, and South Korea; and presently in North Korea and Israel.

Sippenhaft or Sippenhaftung (German: [ˈzɪpənˌhaft(ʊŋ)], kin liability) is a German term for the idea that a family or clan shares the responsibility for a crime or act committed by one of its members, justifying collective punishment. As a legal principle, it was derived from Germanic law in the Middle Ages, usually in the form of fines and compensations. It was adopted by Nazi Germany to justify the punishment of kin (relatives, spouse) for the offence of a family member.
Link Posted: 9/12/2024 8:48:59 AM EDT
[#50]
How about judges who release violent criminals on bail, for them to end up committing more violent crime?
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top