Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 1 of 6)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 8/25/2024 7:41:26 PM EDT
Seem to fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties?  Of course, it's still there, and there are still new great bands making music, but you won't hear it on mainstream radio anymore.  It's all "pop cuntry" and hip-hop sounding garbage.  WTF happened?  They said it would never die, but, for all intents and purposes, it did.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:45:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zach_] [#1]
Originally Posted By Bronsonburner:
Seem to fall off the face of the earth towards the end if the nineties?  Of course, it's still there, and there are still new great bands making music, but you won't hear it on mainstream radio anymore.  It's all "pop cuntry" and hip-hop sounding garbage.  WTF happened?  They said it would never die, but, for all intents and purposes, it did.
View Quote

92.5 KZPS might be available on internet radio. They are not perfect, but they are the best radio station around here. Music Choice on Spectrum has several good rock channels.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Guitar hard, synth noise and beatz easy.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Alembic:
View Quote

Probably so.  Occam's Razor and all...
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:53:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was just me.

I joined the Navy and was stationed overseas for seven years doing Japan, Diego Garcia, and Australia before returning and rock-n-roll was “gone”.

I just started listening to conservative talk radio and never went back to listening to music on the radio.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:55:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Rock never went away, but like all things, it rolls in phases.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out Rick Beato on YouTube.

He has many videos discussing this very issue. Thank Clearchannel and their ilk.

Corporate has ruined main stream music.

92.5 KZPS? Ugh.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:58:40 PM EDT
[#7]
iHeartMedia/Clear Channel happened, they've killed most of the good radio programing in the US
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#8]
What are some good rock bands these days?  I prefer something that isn't unintelligible screaming.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Rock never went away, but like all things, it rolls in phases.
View Quote

Well, it was king from the early sixties through the late nineties then "poof".  It wasn't anymore.  And still isn't.  I don't remember any of those phases you speak of.  Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way.  IDK.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:00:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Windustsearch] [#10]
Because people feel more comfortable with their welfare rat soundtrack.

Choose your hoodie, Hip Hop/R&B, Farm Emo, or n00-Metal
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:01:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#11]
Kids don't listen to it. I'm in my mid 40s and a lot of people my age don't listen to it either. Hip hop/R&B became the go to along with top 40.

The more obscure the genre the less common it becomes. I was raised listening to it and do, my older sister does not. My younger sister does.

My kids friends parents, who are younger than me by a bit, all listen to hickhop, hip hop and R&B.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By hooligan223:
What are some good rock bands these days?  I prefer something that isn't unintelligible screaming.
View Quote

^^^^
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
Kids don't listen to it. I'm in my mid 40s and a lot of people my age don't listen to it either. Hip hop/R&B became the go to along with top 40.

The more obscure the genre the less common it becomes. I was raised listening to it and do, my older sister does not. My younger sister does.

My kids friends parents, who are younger than me by a bit, all listen to hickhop, hip hop and R&B.
View Quote

Why is that?  I'm genuinely curious to know the factors that caused that shift in tastes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:04:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HDLS] [#14]
“Mainstream” radio became mostly irrelevant. Theres a lot of other places to listen to whatever it is you want to listen to.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By HDLS:
“Mainstream” radio became mostly irrelevant. Theres a lot of other places to listen to whatever it is you want to listen to.
View Quote

I still listen to it in the car.  When I even listen to anything, which isn't all that often anymore.  When I do, it ends up on a "classic rock" or maybe 80s station.  Nothing good on the top 40 stations.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:10:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TOGVET:
Check out Rick Beato on YouTube.

He has many videos discussing this very issue. Thank Clearchannel and their ilk.

Corporate has ruined main stream music.

92.5 KZPS? Ugh.
View Quote
Rick Beato needs to stick to what he's good at, which in my opinion is interviewing great musicians.

I don't need to hear him pontificating on streaming/Clear Channel/etc.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

There was an interesting thread here a while ago about the consolidation of radio.  If I remember right most fm are owned by a few companies, and they mandate what gets played.  So only the chosen few get the exposure from what used to be an actual DJ finding gems and putting them on the airwaves.  Interestingly enough, Detroit has only 1 rap station, and 4 country stations.  20 years ago it was the opposite.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:14:31 PM EDT
[#18]
It went away in the late 60's.

After that, it was all pop music in one form or another but very little true "rock n roll".
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By 0311SKI:

There was an interesting thread here a while ago about the consolidation of radio.  If I remember right most fm are owned by a few companies, and they mandate what gets played.  So only the chosen few get the exposure from what used to be an actual DJ finding gems and putting them on the airwaves.  Interestingly enough, Detroit has only 1 rap station, and 4 country stations.  20 years ago it was the opposite.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah but most modern "country" seems have a healthy dose of hip-hop influence added.  It's like hip-hop (cRap) took over everything.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Yes they do. Kids also sing and play guitar, drums, bass, and keyboards.

Places like School of Rock wouldn't exist if they didn't. A couple of weeks ago I sat behind the mixing board for an entire day of kids playing rock music. Some of them were really good, too.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:16:17 PM EDT
[#21]
The only thing constant is change.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:17:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By thawntex:

Places like School of Rock wouldn't exist if they didn't. A couple of weeks ago I sat behind the mixing board for an entire day of kids playing rock music. Some of them were really good, too.
View All Quotes

That's good.  My kids (teen daughters) cover their ears when they hear a distorted electric guitar.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I heard someone explain this on a podcast recently.

By the 90s all possible variations were played out. Nothing more to be done.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:20:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I heard someone explain this on a podcast recently.

By the 90s all possible variations were played out. Nothing more to be done.
View Quote

Interesting.  I guess that means there may be hope that it WILL "come back around" someday when people "forget".  What's old is new kinda thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:20:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Yeah but most modern "country" seems have a healthy dose of hip-hop influence added.  It's like hip-hop (cRap) took over everything.
View All Quotes

Both genres follow the same formula as pop.  Simple, catchy tunes that go on for 3 minutes.  One thing I like about Beato is his song breakdowns.  Majority of the top 10 share the same exact chords, or drum beats.  That being said, I've found great country, rock, and rap songs on spotify and YouTube, but there's no chance in hell they'd ever find their was onto radio.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:24:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ManiacRat] [#26]

Why is that?  I'm genuinely curious to know the factors that caused that shift in tastes.
View Quote
Beats me. I never got into hip hop beyond the very early stuff and R&B past the 80s is just slower hip hop to me.

View Quote
Sure, there are still some. But by and large they don't and they haven't in a long time. There were groups of us listening to 70s punk in the mid 90s, didn't make it popular or relevant. I still listen to 70s and 80s metal almost daily, yet it isn't popular except among us who listened to it since we were kids. Yeah I know Master of Puppets charted a second time. One niche occurrence won't change my opinion on this
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DMG-LDS] [#27]
We went to the Journey / Def Leppard show in PHX on friday night.

50,000+ people there.

The older rock acts are still filling arenas and stadiums.

I heard once that they dont want rock music to be main stream, as it promotes rebellious attiutudes

no idea if thats true
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:28:49 PM EDT
[#28]
OP if you get on YouTube it's the best place to find newer bands. They exist but just don't get airplay. Ghost is a good one. I like them a lot. But it'll start you down a rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Modern studio & recording electronics have made it easier to manufacture trash music without the benefit of talent. One used to have to be proficient at playing an instrument or carrying a vocal tune.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:33:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By zach_:

92.5 KZPS might be available on internet radio. They are not perfect, but they are the best radio station around here. Music Choice on Spectrum has several good rock channels.
View Quote

I loved Z-Rock back in the 90’s. The guy that was the program director in the beginning left when they were bought out by ABC and started his own music streaming channel.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I still hear a lot of "classic rock" and metal on construction sites... Makes me glad I don't work in construction.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#32]
autotune sucks, beat machines suck, sampling sucks, overproduced music sucks
I listen to a lot of 90s alt rock, amongst other things made with real instruments.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:37:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Am I crazy to have a hunch that the "woke" agenda (or at least the beginnings of it) might have had a bit to do with it?  Rock music wasn't "diverse enough"?  I'm probably nuts, but it would make perfect sense.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:39:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Am I crazy to have a hunch that the "woke" agenda (or at least the beginnings of it) might have had a bit to do with it?  Rock music wasn't "diverse enough"?  I'm probably nuts, but it would make perfect sense.
View Quote

Hard to say there. Organizing a massive conspiracy isn't an easy thing. But it seems like all the time I've been alive I've heard people screaming about how Elvis stole the black mans music.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#35]
My guess is cost.  Wife listens to country which sounds too much like hip hop for my taste.  From what I understand much of the recording for virtually everything is in Nashville now and to cut costs it sounds like they’re just using background music that’s computer generated, set to some auto tuned vocals and put on the radio.  It sounds flat and it honestly just sounds thrown out there compared to music someone sat down and developed on their own.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#36]

Hard to say there. Organizing a massive conspiracy isn't an easy thing. But it seems like all the time I've been alive I've heard people screaming about how Elvis stole the black mans music.
View All Quotes

I hear ya.  Rock's roots were black blues musicians.  Not that it matters to them.  By the nineties it was 99.9% white people music, and they can't have that.  I guess.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:45:17 PM EDT
[#37]
There's still plenty of rock and roll music being made.

Might not be on the radio like before, but it's still there.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Because people settled for mediocrity, and the music biz responded.

I blame public schools, bad parenting, and the rise of the smart phone.

And rap and hip hop.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:46:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bronsonburner] [#39]
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
There's still plenty of rock and roll music being made.

Might not be on the radio like before, but it's still there.
View Quote

I know.  I'm just interested in knowing WHY it isn't on the radio anymore.

ETA I know I'm not alone.  I mean, we were rocking along pretty good in the mid to late nineties then POOF it was gone and Britney Spears and her hip hop inspired pop crap was everywhere, along with all her imitators.  It's as though rock just fell off the planet around then.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:50:27 PM EDT
[#40]

View Quote

It was forced into the culture by every form of media for over 20 years. MTV was one of the main culprits in bringing it mainstream to young impressionable kids. It normalizes bad behavior, gov dependence, fractured family, no personal responsibility for actions, which is a big cornerstone of Leftist control.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:52:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Attachment Attached File

I hear ya.  Rock's roots were black blues musicians.  Not that it matters to them.  By the nineties it was 99.9% white people music, and they can't have that.  I guess.
View All Quotes

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By AlabamaFan64:
My guess is cost.  Wife listens to country which sounds too much like hip hop for my taste.  From what I understand much of the recording for virtually everything is in Nashville now and to cut costs it sounds like they’re just using background music that’s computer generated, set to some auto tuned vocals and put on the radio.  It sounds flat and it honestly just sounds thrown out there compared to music someone sat down and developed on their own.
View Quote

Wow thats depressing. It sounds true, but depressing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 8:56:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Robert_J] [#43]
Originally Posted By Seabee_Mech:
iHeartMedia/Clear Channel happened, they've killed most of the good radio programing in the US
View Quote

As other have said, YouTube and start with what you like.  New stuff will get suggested.

I get involved with my local rock scene but it's easy in New Orleans.  You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a musician in this town.  I have 3 drummers in my neighborhood of 22 houses.

I knew about this band and bought their digital CD and record on Bandcamp (buy on the first Friday of the month so the artists get 100% of the money).  A few days later, the record showed as "shipping".  About 3 hours later, my doorbell rings and it's the singer for the band.  It was closer to drive to my house than to the post office.  We talked for about 5 minutes on the porch.  Turns out we have a dozen friends in common.

Drab 'Candyman' Official Video

His blues band.
Steve Mignano - Lucky 13 (Official Music Video)

More friends of mine.

Local prog metal
Stepping Sideways | The Tempest (Official Music Video)

Just a band that YouTube suggested not long ago.
SWEET SPINE - 888 (Official Music Video)
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:04:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Solo_] [#44]
Originally Posted By Alembic:
View Quote
I'm still a professional in the guitar industry.

The are two reasons, mostly - one is that the guitar is truly hard. To play it (and record it) well, it's hard (as most instruments).

Computers, keyboards, beats, quantizing, loops... way easier.
So that is definitely one of the reasons - the other one probably consequential - people didn't choose Rock 'N Roll anymore to make it their rebel, rebellious, breaking the rules, changing the system genre of music.

Rap came along for that - more easily, less work, a microphone and beats and your protest is represented.

Rock 'N Roll - in short - isn't rebellious enough anymore.
It may come back - everything comes back at some point.

But it's just not now.

Solo, of solodallas.com
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:05:37 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

Don McClean wrote a song about it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#46]
I blame Kurt Cobain.   Grunge absolutely killed Rock N Roll
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#47]
70's classic rock died with the arrival of Disco.
Disco led to Hip Hop and Rap.
"Hair Metal" and Grunge tried to make it and did, but Hip Hop and Rap still won out, when it was all said and done.

Today's music sucks a$$...  I keep SiriusXM on "60's Gold" and "The Beatles Channel" on my truck's radio whenever I am behind the wheel.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:10:07 PM EDT
[#48]

View All Quotes

I agree.  I grew up listening to the radio and virtually every week one or two songs came out that you knew would be classics one day.  Mid to late eighties that slowed down to maybe one song a month and progressively got worse.
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:15:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Dirty Honey - Down The Road (Suitcase Sessions)

Some good stuff still getting made, but yeah they ain't playing on the radio.

Link Posted: 8/25/2024 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#50]

View All Quotes
My guess is cost.  Wife listens to country which sounds too much like hip hop for my taste.  From what I understand much of the recording for virtually everything is in Nashville now and to cut costs it sounds like they're just using background music that's computer generated, set to some auto tuned vocals and put on the radio.  It sounds flat and it honestly just sounds thrown out there compared to music someone sat down and developed on their own.

It's a half truth. There is still a lot of country music that is being made organically, and in places other than Nashville.

There's some good music coming out of Oklahoma right now. Guys like Josh Meloy are making names for themselves.

I do live sound in a 1,000 cap venue, and I'm occasionally surprised by some of these bands that seem to come out of nowhere. I'll go into work having no idea what I'm facing, and then be blown away by some band I hadn't heard of until that day.

It's gets repeated a bazillion times on this forum, but never seems to sink in with some people. If you're tapping mainstream sources you're going to get processed, formulaic crap from Nashville. If you want something different and raw, something made by creative people who are passionate about their craft, you have to tune that shit out, get your boots on, and go out to a small venue.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 1 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top