Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By thawntex:
Glad to hear they're still kicking ass
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thawntex:
Originally Posted By mgwantob:
I spend a lot of time working with young original rock bands. I even built one up from just an idea during the Covid lockdowns in 2020 and they are now about to go on tour opening for the Black Crowes next month and heading to Europe right after for a tour there. It's nowhere near as big as it was but it's still alive. Lots of badass young rockers out there.

Glad to hear they're still kicking ass

Very much so! And a new album out in November.

And @Subnet you will finally get your vinyl
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:25:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BillofRights] [#2]
Originally Posted By Dbnd:
The cultural cohesion that the Boomer generation enjoyed is dead and isn’t coming back. Everything is atomized.

As stated by that recent Rick Beato video. For all of Taylor Swift’s current success, she’s the most successful cult artist in her generation. There are millions of people who’ve never heard her music. She’ll never reach the level of popularity and cultural awareness that Cyndi Lauper did in the 80’s much less Madonna or Michael Jackson.
View Quote

What a bizarrely out of touch thing to say.  
Taylor Swift vs. Cyndi Lauper?      

C’mon man. Taylor had Cyndi beat in every metric 15 years ago, and got exponentially bigger every year since then.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Network_Daddy:

Same thing my Dad told me in the late 80's early 90's.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kcobean:
The "new rock" all sounds the same.  It's emo-scream crap.  Rock died, IMO, in the 2000's.  As kids we grew up on rock, the later generations grew up and are growing up on N'sync and Back Street Boys and Justin Bieber and Brittany Spears and Taylor Swift.  They don't want grit, they want feel-good.  Rock ain't that, so it died.

Your Dad was right.   By the early 90’s, it was all but dead, except for a handful of good songs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:35:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kingdead] [#4]
Originally Posted By BillofRights:

Your Dad was right.   By the early 90's, it was all but dead, except for a handful of good songs.
View All Quotes
The "new rock" all sounds the same. It's emo-scream crap.  Rock died, IMO, in the 2000's.  As kids we grew up on rock, the later generations grew up and are growing up on N'sync and Back Street Boys and Justin Bieber and Brittany Spears and Taylor Swift.  They don't want grit, they want feel-good.  Rock ain't that, so it died.

Your Dad was right.   By the early 90's, it was all but dead, except for a handful of good songs.
This is gritty and it feels good! It's also 12 years old... Nobody can make broad sweeping generalizations of music and what people enjoy. Looking at what is popular or what you perceive as popular doesn't mean there isn't other stuff out there or that a certain art isn't enjoyed and practiced. That would be like watching CNN and concluding that all Americans are leftists because CNN is on TV and a lot of people watch it. Just because Taylor Swift appears to be really popular to you, doesn't mean everyone listens to her or enjoys that kind of music.

FYI, this isn't emo-scream crap. If you can at least identify the genre then I'll listen to your argument.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:37:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By smarquez:

I get it, my son is in a touring metal band right now and has played on several albums and tours. They play their hearts out. He just lives for it. It is just now a small market with no respect from the overall music industry.
View Quote

What kind of Metal?  Or do you mean more like the Motley Crue-style cockrock?  Metal (Thrash, Death, Black, etc.) draws huge crowds.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:52:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Cincinnatus:

Just because YOU got old and tired, doesn’t mean that Rock and Roll did too.

When was the last time you saw a small-venue, live show of Rock you had never heard?
View Quote

That's not what I said at all. There are still talented players out there, but I haven't heard anyone who is gonna replace the legends of rock. Best case scenario they will be almost as good.

Trying to think of anyone in the last 20 that put out something even close to a Rush album for example.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:54:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 6EQUJ5:

That's not what I said at all. There are still talented players out there, but I haven't heard anyone who is gonna replace the legends of rock. Best case scenario they will be almost as good.

Trying to think of anyone in the last 20 that put out something even close to a Rush album for example.
View Quote
What makes someone a legend of rock? What metric are we using?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:57:36 AM EDT
[#8]
The music industry by its very nature is designed to kill the music.

Jazz and Punk Rock MUST be recorded live, and not one track at a time.  That's not the way the music industry likes it.  

Not to say that some brilliant music hasn't been the creation of that "over-produced" studio process.  Pet Sounds and Sgt Pepper's were at the forefront.

But that stuff was the beginning of the end.
View Quote

Disagree. Paul Hardcastle was the high water mark for studio engineered jazz.

Go back and find his early stuff that he did for D Train all the way through Rain Forest and Sound Chaser.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:09:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
View Quote

That's gonna be hard to define. Which is one of the biggest problems with this discussion. It sure isn't record sales. I'd suggest longevity as a possible metric. The Beatles still have new fans, Led Zepplin still has new fans. Queen still has new fans. When new listeners would rather discover Immigrant Song over listening to whatever is being put out for them today by other artists, I'd say that would be grounds for recognizing groups like Zepplin are legends. Rush was genius and took unconventional directions but I'm not sure they have a huge following of new listeners, so despite their brilliance, they probably wouldn't have legend status even though I love their albums. I can probably also play Godzilla by BOC or Frankenstein by Edgar Winters for anyone who is into the genre and most of them will be blown away if they never heard it before. Same is true for some Hendrix tracks like All Along The Watchtower and Voodoo Child, you can drop them in any film soundtrack today and get new fans who had no idea who he was.

I did enjoy some Nirvana, especially after I let it warm up a little. But I don't think they ever really outdid anyone like Hendrix, they were more like Rush, taking chances and trying different directions and found a following. But if you dropped a Nirvana track in a film today, how many new listeners would actually embrace it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:29:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 6EQUJ5:

That's gonna be hard to define. Which is one of the biggest problems with this discussion. It sure isn't record sales. I'd suggest longevity as a possible metric. The Beatles still have new fans, Led Zepplin still has new fans. Queen still has new fans. When new listeners would rather discover Immigrant Song over listening to whatever is being put out for them today by other artists, I'd say that would be grounds for recognizing groups like Zepplin are legends. Rush was genius and took unconventional directions but I'm not sure they have a huge following of new listeners, so despite their brilliance, they probably wouldn't have legend status even though I love their albums. I can probably also play Godzilla by BOC or Frankenstein by Edgar Winters for anyone who is into the genre and most of them will be blown away if they never heard it before. Same is true for some Hendrix tracks like All Along The Watchtower and Voodoo Child, you can drop them in any film soundtrack today and get new fans who had no idea who he was.

I did enjoy some Nirvana, especially after I let it warm up a little. But I don't think they ever really outdid anyone like Hendrix, they were more like Rush, taking chances and trying different directions and found a following. But if you dropped a Nirvana track in a film today, how many new listeners would actually embrace it?
View Quote

When I head to the local music store, the main songs I hear kids playing are by Ozzy, Metallica, Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc.  You can certainly have your preferences, but Linkin Park was just as influential as Rush, whether you believe it or not...  and kids today have their own legends, it'll just take 20 years for them to be recognized as such.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 7:05:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Cincinnatus] [#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Kingdead:
View Quote
I don't know, but I do know that my major pet peeve is when some CEO or other executive is referred to as a rock star by his peers. Or when a dentist is referred to as a rock star by his peers, or a mechanic, or a plumber...
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Ghost is for posers

They do put on a good show, I saw them open for Maiden and I saw them when Mastodon opened for them. They're pretty fun.

I always think if Ecclesia when someone mentions Ghost, them and Batushka which is what I expected Ghost to sound like based on their aesthetics lol.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By beitodesstrafe:
Originally Posted By ManiacRat:
OP if you get on YouTube it's the best place to find newer bands. They exist but just don't get airplay. Ghost is a good one. I like them a lot. But it'll start you down a rabbit hole.

Fucking love Ghost.

Got to see them in concert last year. Very fun show, lol.

Ghost is for posers

They do put on a good show, I saw them open for Maiden and I saw them when Mastodon opened for them. They're pretty fun.

I always think if Ecclesia when someone mentions Ghost, them and Batushka which is what I expected Ghost to sound like based on their aesthetics lol.

Amon Amarth opened for Ghost when I saw them. Both bands were fun.

Very sweet crowd at the show too.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:25:25 AM EDT
[#14]

C’mon man. Taylor had Cyndi beat in every metric 15 years ago, and got exponentially bigger every year since then.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Dbnd:
The cultural cohesion that the Boomer generation enjoyed is dead and isn’t coming back. Everything is atomized.

As stated by that recent Rick Beato video. For all of Taylor Swift’s current success, she’s the most successful cult artist in her generation. There are millions of people who’ve never heard her music. She’ll never reach the level of popularity and cultural awareness that Cyndi Lauper did in the 80’s much less Madonna or Michael Jackson.

Captain Lou Albano would make Taylor Swift a star.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes
OP if you get on YouTube it's the best place to find newer bands. They exist but just don't get airplay. Ghost is a good one. I like them a lot. But it'll start you down a rabbit hole.

Fucking love Ghost.

Ghost is for posers

My kids caught that show on the east coast I think.

I've got a few shows lined up over the next month or so- Sepultura and Obituary, Spectral Wound (fucking great black metal) and Hulder (one woman black metal band) at a local dive and Iron Maiden in Oct.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 11:48:56 AM EDT
[#16]
We still go to concerts regularly. In the last couple of years we've been to:

Mudvayne and Megadeth
Queens of the Stone Age and Royal Blood
Emerson, Lake and Palmer (Carl used archival footage of Greg and Keith) I'm a huge ELP fan.
ZZ Top and Skynyrd
Mastodon and Gojira
Rick Wakeman (huge Yes fan too)
Leo Kottke (he's getting super old)
Kiss
Doobies
Kid Rock/Grand Funk Railroad
Black Crowes and Dirty Honey
Ghost
Chevelle
Ghost (again)
Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman
Heart, The Blackhearts and Cheap Trick
Brian Wilson 50th of Pet Sounds
Uncle Ted
Slipknot
Joe Walsh and Bad Company
ETC...

I rarely (if ever) listen to the radio. Depending on what you like, there are all kinds of music out there, new and old.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Your Dad was right.   By the early 90’s, it was all but dead, except for a handful of good songs.
View All Quotes
The "new rock" all sounds the same.  It's emo-scream crap.  Rock died, IMO, in the 2000's.  As kids we grew up on rock, the later generations grew up and are growing up on N'sync and Back Street Boys and Justin Bieber and Brittany Spears and Taylor Swift.  They don't want grit, they want feel-good.  Rock ain't that, so it died.

Nah, it was just boomer bullshit.  Most anything past the Beatles and Stones was the same thing.  Van Halen was Pearl Jam was Metallica was Guns N Roses.    

Wish he was here so I could tell him again that his musical tastes by and large died off in the 60's.  But most people tend to stick to the music they grew up on.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
I fucken love Visigoth. Theocracy and Eternal Champion are cool as hell too. I met the guitar player from Visigoth at a show, he was filling in on guitar for...Screamer IIRC. Cool guy. He also plays in a band called Blood Star, and his wife is the singer- check them out if you haven't already.
Also, if you like more straight prog check out Nospun, they came out of nowhere and are like... Dream Theater with better melodies and less wankery (I like DT, just calling it like it is lol).

ETA- There are so many great bands from the 80s and 90s, I still find new ones to me. My latest "discoveries" are Attackers first album which is criminally underrated and Mystic Force which is awesome power/prog that you should also check out.
ETA2- Currently listening to Warlord's Free Spirit Soar- a classic 80s band with a new album in 2024, and it's pretty damn good.
View All Quotes
I can't say I listen to a lot of newer rock and roll but I do still find new metal bands that are good.  And a bit of country.   The great thing for me is that there is so much metal from the 80's and 90's that I will never run out of fresh material.  Lately discovered Theocracy which is probably my favorite power prog metal band of all time now.  Not to mention newer metal bands like Necrot or Skeletal Remains or Eternal Champion, or Visigoth.

I fucken love Visigoth. Theocracy and Eternal Champion are cool as hell too. I met the guitar player from Visigoth at a show, he was filling in on guitar for...Screamer IIRC. Cool guy. He also plays in a band called Blood Star, and his wife is the singer- check them out if you haven't already.
Also, if you like more straight prog check out Nospun, they came out of nowhere and are like... Dream Theater with better melodies and less wankery (I like DT, just calling it like it is lol).

ETA- There are so many great bands from the 80s and 90s, I still find new ones to me. My latest "discoveries" are Attackers first album which is criminally underrated and Mystic Force which is awesome power/prog that you should also check out.
ETA2- Currently listening to Warlord's Free Spirit Soar- a classic 80s band with a new album in 2024, and it's pretty damn good.

I've been finding tons of killer Christian metal like Saint, Theocracy, Narnia, All For the King, etc.  Some newer, some older, some old bands putting out new albums.  Digging it.  Kind of tired of relentlessly negative music.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:24:55 PM EDT
[#20]

I've got a few shows lined up over the next month or so- Sepultura and Obituary, Spectral Wound (fucking great black metal) and Hulder (one woman black metal band) at a local dive and Iron Maiden in Oct.
View All Quotes

Fucking love Ghost.

Ghost is for posers

Unfortunately, I've only got 1 more show lined up for this year (as for now at least, lol).

Manchester Orchestra (a very underappreciated rock band) in just over a week.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#21]

I've been finding tons of killer Christian metal like Saint, Theocracy, Narnia, All For the King, etc.  Some newer, some older, some old bands putting out new albums.  Digging it.  Kind of tired of relentlessly negative music.
View All Quotes
I can't say I listen to a lot of newer rock and roll but I do still find new metal bands that are good.  And a bit of country.   The great thing for me is that there is so much metal from the 80's and 90's that I will never run out of fresh material.  Lately discovered Theocracy which is probably my favorite power prog metal band of all time now.  Not to mention newer metal bands like Necrot or Skeletal Remains or Eternal Champion, or Visigoth.

There is shockingly some pretty decent christian bands- a few I didn't even know were religious until after the fact.

I most kinds of metal as long as its quality-  positive cheesy power metal all the way to dark atmospheric black metal. Totally depends on my mood.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Unfortunately, I've only got 1 more show lined up for this year (as for now at least, lol).

View All Quotes

Fucking love Ghost.

Ghost is for posers

I had tickets to Dead South last week but the show was canceled :(
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#23]
I saw Ghost on the 2nd album tour and with Iron Maiden.  

They were fun the first show, the second show was so fucking hot that I was in a daze most of it.

They have hooks but I'm not interested in their thematic content anymore and will probably be getting rid of their albums.

I do love a theatrical rock/metal show though.  Seeing King Diamond in October.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:31:35 PM EDT
[#24]

There is shockingly some pretty decent christian bands- a few I didn't even know were religious until after the fact.

I most kinds of metal as long as its quality-  positive cheesy power metal all the way to dark atmospheric black metal. Totally depends on my mood.
View All Quotes

I love thrash, death metal, some black metal, power metal, prog metal, some glam metal, and just regular old Priest influenced metal.  But I'm just not as interested in some of the thematic content or Satanic stuff.  I want more positive music.

But I'm not swearing off all the darker shit, just in a happy music mood lately.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#25]

I love thrash, death metal, some black metal, power metal, prog metal, some glam metal, and just regular old Priest influenced metal.  But I'm just not as interested in some of the thematic content or Satanic stuff.  I want more positive music.

But I'm not swearing off all the darker shit, just in a happy music mood lately.
View All Quotes

Hell yeah, right up my alley. My favorite is probably just straight up trad metal- influenced by 80s stuff. Try Mega Colossus Riptime and their new one Showdown. Upbeat trad metal with a lot of nerd topics.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 12:53:18 PM EDT
[#26]

View All Quotes

Fucking love Ghost.

Ghost is for posers

In that genre... my last concert, back in July, was Shakey Graves with Trampled by Turtles
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:05:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I heard someone explain this on a podcast recently.

By the 90s all possible variations were played out. Nothing more to be done.
View Quote

That makes sense because most of the music for the last 30 years sounds about the same to me.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#28]

In that genre... my last concert, back in July, was Shakey Graves with Trampled by Turtles
View All Quotes

Fucking love Ghost.

Ghost is for posers

Not really my usual thing, but I really dig Dead South- I'll have to check out those two also, it's a genre I know nothing about.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 1:25:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By PCB66:

That makes sense because most of the music for the last 30 years sounds about the same to me.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By PCB66:
Originally Posted By Hesperus:
I heard someone explain this on a podcast recently.

By the 90s all possible variations were played out. Nothing more to be done.

If you are listening to broadcast radio stations... that explains your problem. It's like going to the "international foods" section in your local grocery store and complaining that it's just taco kits and ramen.

There is more quantity and more variations in high quality music today than ever in history.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#30]
The way we consume it also has much to do with our current perceptions of where rock currently is. I have gone from LP’s to 8 track, cassette, CD’s to MP3’s; along with turntables, Walkman’s, boomboxes playing cassettes, iPods etc. Right now is the easiest it has ever been to consume, I can go on break put in my ear buds and have all of my favorite stuff on my phone. Perhaps our ease has allowed us to take the entire process for granted.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:17:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#33]
My godson and his brothers listen to a crazy mix of stuff.  A playlist at their house will go from rap to metal to alt rock to classic rock to country...

Its so much easier to find what you want, but if you just want to flip on the radio and hear something you can still here rock and roll around these parts.  We have a few stations.  And if you have satellite radio you have tons of options.  

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Earlier this year, my teenage son bought me tickets to see the Melvins.  They toured with a Japanese band called, "Boris."

My son liked Boris.  They were okay, but the Melvins blew their doors off.

View Quote

Melvins are awesome. Saw them with Ministry and Corrosion of Conformity
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:29:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Earlier this year, my teenage son bought me tickets to see the Melvins.  They toured with a Japanese band called, "Boris."

View Quote
Melvins are a fun show.  Saw them with Black Sabbath once.
Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#36]
This is the band my daughters are currently obsessed with. My oldest even cut her hair to emulate the lead singer (that's my guess anyway. They look awfully similar right now )

They're fairly diverse stylistically speaking, but I would categorize them as a rock band

The Last Dinner Party live at XOYO, London.

Link Posted: 8/28/2024 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Windustsearch:

Never could get into them.  The only thing I ever liked with Buzz Osborne was Fantomas.
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Why did rock 'n roll... (Page 6 of 6)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top