Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/5/2022 9:04:54 PM EDT
The Patria seems like the superior 8x8 wheeled platform in almost every regard. It offers better protection (30mm cannon resistant armor across the frontal arc) and also seems to be a much better weapons platform. The 105mm gun on the Stryker MGS is honestly too much gun for that platform, whereas the Patria can mount a full up 120mm gun and still remain more stable than the Stryker MGS.

Interesting vehicle.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
My threads never generate any interest or discussion.

Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Stryker looks cooler.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It's arguing about history. We don't know why one was chosen over the other. Cost? Some other benefit that we don't know about? Speed? Range?
View Quote
"Not invented here" syndrome?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Check the weights.

I remember the Striker being specifically design around a carry weight to fit one in a 130 or two or three of them in a C-141 at the time.

Patria 16,000 to 32,000 kg
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:38:51 PM EDT
[#6]
That company didn’t buy enough hookers and offer post retirement consulting jobs for the decision makers?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Source select was done before the vehicle was even developed and when you get back to requirements, one of big ones was a weight limit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:45:24 PM EDT
[#8]
I do remember the C-130 requirement. Yet have we ever actually transported a Stryker into a combat theater via C-130 since they've been in service? It seems they sacrificed protection by going with a lighter option to meet a specific requirement that is never actually used in practice.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#9]
It was a ridiculous effort to distribute money to various armed forces select committees’ home states to develop the Stryker on our own, rather than go to one of our NATO allies who have excellent wheeled vehicles themselves.

The Sunny Peninsula, for instance, has the Centauro, both IFV and support versions:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Don’t know about the LAV-III, but we fit 4 LAV-25 plus a bunch of other shit in a C-17 and landed on a dirt strip in the middle of No Where Afghanistan.

Speaking of the LAV-25, is the Corps still rocking those things?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:00:59 PM EDT
[#11]
As a former LAV-25 commander, ain’t nobody got time for a ginormous gun that takes more than one crewman to disassemble.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Only 12 MGS exist.  I trained on Strykers in Cav Leaders’ Course.  Whisper quiet, but not well protected.  I concur with the previous poster about “we need to invent it” syndrome.  Army spends based upon gap analysis for vehicles 10-30 years in the future…

For the record, I like the LAV-25 better.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Don’t know about the LAV-III, but we fit 4 LAV-25 plus a bunch of other shit in a C-17 and landed on a dirt strip in the middle of No Where Afghanistan.

View Quote

Yes, their replacement the ARV is in development
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:37:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yes, their replacement the ARV is in development
View Quote

Oof. Those things were rough 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Oof. Those things were rough 20 years ago.
View Quote

I was on the analysis of alternative team two years ago, I think they just did source selection last year for a prototype from Textron/GLDS.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#16]
The 82nd Airborne formed an armor company within one of their BCTs a year or two ago. They were equipped with (I shit you not!) hand me down LAV-25's from the Marines. I believe that company has since been disbanded and I do not know what became of those LAV-25's. But I suppose they served their purpose in helping the U.S. Army develop certain tactics and procedures that will help them get off on the right foot when the MPF vehicles (aka light tanks) go into production and become a part of light divisions over the next few years.

BTW, might as well post some images of the MPF too while I'm at it:

BAE Systems design, based on the M8 Buford

GDLS design, based on the Ajax chassis with M1 Abrams fire control system

For those not familiar, the Army is going back to the division as its standard unit of maneuver, since we are training and equipping to face conventional foes such as Russia and China. Each light infantry division will have an armored battalion assigned to them and one of the two designs above will be the light tank they end up operating. These are only for light infantry, airborne and air assault divisions. The heavy divisions will retain the M1A2 Abrams.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:06:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It was a ridiculous effort to distribute money to various armed forces select committees' home states to develop the Stryker on our own, rather than go to one of our NATO allies who have excellent wheeled vehicles themselves.

The Sunny Peninsula, for instance, has the Centauro, both IFV and support versions:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/21383/7CF90E83-CC78-46EA-979C-1381A4CFE17E_jpe-2302924.JPG
View Quote
The Centauro (and related IFV/APC family) is everything the Stryker wishes it could be
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Only 12 MGS exist.  I trained on Strykers in Cav Leaders’ Course.  Whisper quiet, but not well protected.  I concur with the previous poster about “we need to invent it” syndrome.  Army spends based upon gap analysis for vehicles 10-30 years in the future…

View Quote

12?
I most have worked on 4 of the 12 then (91BR4). I have taken a few MGS maintainers courses.

Strykers are built general dynamics. GD holds lots of military contracts. One more wont hurt.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:32:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 82nd Airborne formed an armor company within one of their BCTs a year or two ago. They were equipped with (I shit you not!) hand me down LAV-25's from the Marines. I believe that company has since been disbanded and I do not know what became of those LAV-25's. But I suppose they served their purpose in helping the U.S. Army develop certain tactics and procedures that will help them get off on the right foot when the MPF vehicles (aka light tanks) go into production and become a part of light divisions over the next few years.

BTW, might as well post some images of the MPF too while I'm at it:

BAE Systems design, based on the M8 Buford
https://www.baesystems.com/en-media/webImage/20210715202817/1434622859865.jpg

GDLS design, based on the Ajax chassis with M1 Abrams fire control system
https://sites.breakingmedia.com/uploads/sites/3/2020/08/General_Dynamics_unveils_its_light_tank_for_U.S._Army_MPF_program_1.jpg

For those not familiar, the Army is going back to the division as its standard unit of maneuver, since we are training and equipping to face conventional foes such as Russia and China. Each light infantry division will have an armored battalion assigned to them and one of the two designs above will be the light tank they end up operating. These are only for light infantry, airborne and air assault divisions. The heavy divisions will retain the M1A2 Abrams.
View Quote

light eh?... that thing on the bottom is massive

wonder how many tons?
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:32:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Well for one thing, Larry Vickers is old...
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:38:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's arguing about history. We don't know why one was chosen over the other. Cost? Some other benefit that we don't know about? Speed? Range?

Neither was the LAVIII.  Canadian adaptation of a Swiss design.

Most likely the extra armor protection put it over the weight limit for the C-130 requirement.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I do remember the C-130 requirement. Yet have we ever actually transported a Stryker into a combat theater via C-130 since they've been in service? It seems they sacrificed protection by going with a lighter option to meet a specific requirement that is never actually used in practice.
View Quote

The whole idea of flying a Stryker brigade into a theater in a crisis was a fantasy.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Only 12 MGS exist.  I trained on Strykers in Cav Leaders' Course.  Whisper quiet, but not well protected.  I concur with the previous poster about "we need to invent it" syndrome.  Army spends based upon gap analysis for vehicles 10-30 years in the future

View Quote
Wiki says there are 142 of them. Assuming the Stryker brigades got one per battalion, there would still be more than 12.
Link Posted: 3/5/2022 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Unless something changes, all MGS are retired this year.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:00:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Because kickbacks to the Finnish government don’t buy votes in America?

Follow the money and you will find some dirty people.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:16:02 AM EDT
[#26]
I deployed to Iraq with a Stryker unit, I have also done a rotation at NTC and a deployment to Northern Macedonia in Strykers. Overall I like the platform and like the overall design.

That being said, the Army still has no idea how to properly implement them into the battle.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:34:02 AM EDT
[#27]
The weight limit for Stryker was a mistake. They also cost 3 times more than an AMV.

MPF is a mistake also. Too light to get shot, too small a gun to kill an MBT if it runs across one, can’t fire an air burst round.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

light eh?... that thing on the bottom is massive

wonder how many tons?
View Quote

27-38 tonnes depending on accessories and armor.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Centauro (and related IFV/APC family) is everything the Stryker wishes it could be
View Quote

MPF should be an 8x8 with a 120 OR a real medium tank of 40-45 tonnes with a 120 OR a sub 18 tonne tracked vehicle with a 50mm.

A tracked 105 is just wtf.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:42:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My threads never generate any interest or discussion.

View Quote

I'm just now seeing this, sorry. Your comments are usually quite interesting, don't despair!

I'll have a look in the morning and try to come up with a thoughtful contribution to the discussion.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 12:58:25 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have loaded 3 slatted strykers in a c17 and I think 4 or 6 in a c130.

Quoted:

View Quote

there's way more than that. I think we'd issue 9 at a time. (Wikipedia says 142)

A lot of soldiers would talk shit about strykers but it seems like it almost always revolved around them not being like different vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 1:48:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

MPF should be an 8x8 with a 120 OR a real medium tank of 40-45 tonnes with a 120 OR a sub 18 tonne tracked vehicle with a 50mm.

A tracked 105 is just wtf.
View Quote

Yeah, if they want an armored vehicle with a big ass gun, might as well make that big ass gun a 120mm. Even if the vehicle itself is not well suited to duking it out with a real tank (this is more like an IFV with a tank's gun), it should at least possess armament capable of taking out a real tank in an emergency, should one be encountered.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 2:10:16 AM EDT
[#33]
Good question.

I think it probably had something to do with GEN Shinseki wanting it to be C-130 capable.  I had a peripheral role in some of the testing and the funny thing was that they had to take the vehicle apart in some ways to get the center of gravity more forward when it was in the C-130.  I guess you could say the C-17 was just getting fielded in the 1990s and the C-130 requirement was a needless limitation.

On the other hand, there was a lot of resistance to the Stryker.  Tankers didn't want it as they were influenced by Desert Storm, and Shinseki knew the next CoS would probably kill it.  I think he was worried that he needed to get it up and running in an interim version on his watch, so perhaps the C-130 req limited it to one vehicle and that sped the process up.  Of course 9/11 happened and the rest was history.  But speed of fielding was definitely a big deal and there weren't a lot of options presented.

So, speed of fielding.  Go with good enough, get it to program of record, and fix it later.  Except a war took place and the fixing didn't happen so much, and the Stryker wasn't a super vehicle against IEDs anyway.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:13:04 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yeah, if they want an armored vehicle with a big ass gun, might as well make that big ass gun a 120mm. Even if the vehicle itself is not well suited to duking it out with a real tank (this is more like an IFV with a tank's gun), it should at least possess armament capable of taking out a real tank in an emergency, should one be encountered.
View Quote

Aside from the fact that nothing in 105mm will penetrate a T-90 reliably from the front, ammunition development has stopped, so it’s unlikely that an AMP round, which should be a fantastic choice for MPF, will be made in 105mm. 105 has the HEP advantage and all that ammunition that has to get shot up somewhere I guess.

I’m convinced that MPF is a 105mm either as a favor to BAE, or because they want to fit three on a C-17, or because the M8 is by far the best developed option and they don’t want the technical risk that comes with the GDLS offering.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:34:25 AM EDT
[#35]
AMX 10 RCR is an Interesting concept.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:38:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Or check out the Rooikat.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:44:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Why do most larger bore cannons have that fat spot about middle of the barrel?
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:48:19 AM EDT
[#38]
I thought the Strucker was a terrible fighting vehicle? At least in the eyes of people like Sylvian
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 3:49:20 AM EDT
[#39]
Am I the only one thinking that militaries the world over are reconsidering their armies after the last couple of wars?  Tanks seem to have troubles surviving air strikes from drones these days.

I'm wondering when we are going to hear about a light armored vehicle that is essentially a carrier for mass amounts of drones with anti armor missiles or just heat warheads the drones can crash into a tank with.  It would be damned easy to build prototypes with OTS components.  The hardest part would be hardening the drones against operators, jamming or directed energy weapons.

If anti-armor weapons keep improving tanks will have to have armor so thick they will need a nuke plant to move.  Maybe we will get to see the creation of Keith Laumer's Bolo tanks in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Anti armor weapons are in a cycle of being offset by countermeasures, not the reverse.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:05:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bore evacuator. It gathers pressure and uses it to force the smoke down and out the barrel instead of back into the open breech.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:12:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Back to the OP's question. I think the Patria is a much more recent design, maybe 15 years newer(?)
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:16:09 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Bore evacuator. It gathers pressure and uses it to force the smoke down and out the barrel instead of back into the open breech.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hah, would have never guess. Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:18:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Too bad Sylvan isn’t here to discuss this.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:18:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Back to the OP's question. I think the Patria is a much more recent design, maybe 15 years newer(?)
View Quote

LAV III 1999
Stryker 2002
Patria AMV 2004

The officer ultimately responsible for the Stryker is CPT James Blount if the British army. Long story. He’s a singer now and absolutely hilarious on Twatter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 4:48:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Aside from the fact that nothing in 105mm will penetrate a T-90 reliably from the front, ammunition development has stopped, so it’s unlikely that an AMP round, which should be a fantastic choice for MPF, will be made in 105mm. 105 has the HEP advantage and all that ammunition that has to get shot up somewhere I guess.

I’m convinced that MPF is a 105mm either as a favor to BAE, or because they want to fit three on a C-17, or because the M8 is by far the best developed option and they don’t want the technical risk that comes with the GDLS offering.
View Quote

The M8 was dropped from the competition.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/us-army-eliminates-bae-systems-from-light-tank-competition

105mm guns could use LAHAT.

https://www.iai.co.il/p/lahat

Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#47]
The LAHAT would be an interesting and viable option for a 105mm tank gun. It has a range of 5 miles, can be used in either direct attack or top attack mode and its warhead can penetrate 800mm RHA behind ERA. That should make it pretty lethal to most anything found on the modern battlefield.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:36:10 AM EDT
[#48]
The 105mm gun on the Stryker MGS is honestly too much gun for that platform
View Quote

Tell us about the last time you were at an ATEC test range or a Stryker BCT.
The MGS has issues, but it's not the gun.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#49]
Why is the DoD so terrible at developing and procurement?

*Looks at the Generals, Pentagon, Defense companies, and Politicians.

Oh yeah, them.

Just like anything at the very top.
Link Posted: 3/6/2022 9:59:48 AM EDT
[#50]
The LAV III isn't in the same class as the AMV, and the AMV came out later.

Apples to oranges.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top