BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By JellyJugz:
Everyone knows the HK paddle mag release is one of God's gifts too the world.
Yet almost nobody even copies one. Ive heard Walther does....But ive never actually seen one in the wild.
I don't have small hands but on most handguns I need to shift my grip to hit the mag release on most of these things.
WTF gives?
Does anyone actually shoot their guns? or Try to do a rapid mag change.
I just don't understand....
I wan't to buy a pistol other than an HK but why even bother with such a disgusting mag release.
Guess that makes me an HK "fanboi" ....such a low bar, they came out with the paddle mag release in what the 80's? And nobody else uses it?
Gun companies are a joke.
View Quote

maybe you should tell the best pistol shooters in the world that their mag releases are inefficient.  I am sure they have never thought of this
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:51:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
I am with you OP.
I love the paddle mag releases. 99% of guns with button mag releases I have to shift my grip to push them, some are worse than others. Some take a little shift to hit, others take a lot of shift.

I just upgraded my EDC to a P30SK and love it. Paddle mag release for the win!

It must not be a problem to only me, as there are lots of oversized and extended mag release buttons to make it easier for normal people to operate.

Everyone is different, everyone's hands are different. It is impossible to design a gun that fits everyone perfectly.
Some people the grip will be too big, others, it will be too small. There is no way around it.

I feel like the paddle release is the best compromise of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:

Lot's of words to simply say "operator error".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Curdmugeon45:
Yet almost nobody even copies one. Ive heard Walther does....But ive never actually seen one in the wild.
I don't have small hands but on most handguns I need to shift my grip to hit the mag release on most of these things.
WTF gives?
I wan't to buy a pistol other than an HK but why even bother with such a disgusting mag release.
Guess that makes me an HK "fanboi" ....such a low bar, they came out with the paddle mag release in what the 80's? And nobody else uses it?

Lot's of words to simply say "operator error".

Now give 'em a Beretta with a slide mounted safety.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 9mmmac:

Now give 'em a Beretta with a slide mounted safety.
View Quote

DA/SAs should only have a decocker
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
When I bought my Walther, I had a choice between models, button or paddle release.  After messing around with both, I chose the button model.  Thirty years of shooting with button magazine releases will do that to you.

No matter what, you are going to be adjusting your grip during a magazine change.  Watch M or GM class shooters and they will readjust their grip before firing after a mag change.  They just do it very efficiently and very quickly.

I am militantly lefty.  I don't buy a full sized pistol if I can't reverse the magazine release to the right side.  I can work a left side mag release, but it involves more manipulation.  The key to speed is economy of motion.  The reason I haven't gotten into the 2011 craze is because the availability of ambidextrous magazines in the 1911 and 2011 platforms.

I liked the truly ambidextrous button magazine release on the Ruger P series when I had one in the 90s.  The gun was also a brick and I was inexperienced.  Time marches on.

Things change when you start entering the sub-compact and micro pistol range.  I am not worried about magazine change par times if I am carrying a G43.  In fact, odds are I am not carry a spare magazine if I am carrying a G43.  If I was worried about John Wick type gun fights, I wouldn't be carrying a sub compact.

I stopped carrying an M&P Shield because I could not reverse the magazine release as a lefty.  There were several times where I bumped the magazine release while carrying.  It is somewhat embarrassing to have your magazine fall to the ground while getting out of the car.  Having the magazine release on the week side of the gun means it is more protected in the holster.  It is as much about keeping the mag in the gun as taking it out of the gun.

Mess around with pocket and micro pistols and you soon see the advantage on heal magazine releases.  With tiny pistols grip space is at a premium.  You need to modify your grip to shoot them effectively.  The heal release is the logical place to put the magazine release.  No one is speed changing magazines with a micro pistol.  Most don't even come with a spare magazine.

My point?  Different shooting and carry styles have different requirements.  There is no one style that is better than another.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

JMB got it right over a century ago.

https://i.imgur.com/g90JzQw.jpg
View Quote
JMB stole that from the C93 after he found out about it, 10 years later.

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 11:10:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: IdahoPCCinc] [#8]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

WTF gives?

I don't think u understand what ambidextrous actually means.
It takes time and usually tools and disassemby to "switch" that's a "conversion"

But, That's ok I am merely spreading the good word of HK.

It's your funeral

It's significantly slower, and isn't Ambidextrous.

FYI.....most modern hand guns do have ambi mag releases.

And like anything.....if you actually practice doing mag changes, you'll get pretty fast.

Which makes me wonder......how come 99.9% of competitive shooters aren't using HK ???

Glock, CZ, Staccato, SIG, 1911's, 2011's.....Hell, even Springfield and CANIK are more popular than any HK.

OP......your rant is

1st.....Jellyjugz needs to learn how to quote users on here with having it all fucked up.

2nd......Your post about ambi switches is retarded. If a mag release  works for both left/right shooters by simply turning it around.....that's ambidextrous.
  And Springfield and a few others don't require the switch to be rotated at all, which makes your point kinda pointless.

3rd......HK's are NOT being used by 99.9% of competitive shooters. I'll go out on a limb and it's BECAUSE of the mag release being an operational liability in that environment.

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 3:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By IdahoPCCinc:

1st.....Jellyjugz needs to learn how to quote users on here with having it all fucked up.

2nd......Your post about ambi switches is retarded. If a mag release  works for both left/right shooters by simply turning it around.....that's ambidextrous.
  And Springfield and a few others don't require the switch to be rotated at all, which makes your point kinda pointless.

3rd......HK's are NOT being used by 99.9% of competitive shooters. I'll go out on a limb and it's BECAUSE of the mag release being an operational liability in that environment.

View Quote

1.Valid Point

2. I stand by my point, its readily converted, not ambi, you aren't switching hands and operating it identically.

3. Don't care what someone uses as race guns, with massive mag release buttons and funneled magwells. this is about superior engineering, and manufacturing not making them. Perhaps this is mostly a training issue? I started competitive shooting with USP so I am probably bias, as most people who started with a button are probably just as bias. The main point is that I have found I do not have to reposition my grip to drop the mag on my USP, I do with most other handguns I've tried, with the USP I simply swipe my thumb down.

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:16:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
Is it weird that I'm right handed and depress the right side paddle of the HK mag release with the middle finger of my right hand? I feel like that's how everybody would feel most comfortable doing it.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#11]
WTF gives?
View Quote

I used to have a Walter P99 with the paddle release and it was nice. I'm a big fan of the H&K releases, but I'm fine with the standard release too.

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
I wonder how paddle releases would work on something small like the size of the bodyguard 2.0
View Quote

My little Pico has one and it actually makes a ton of sense on a teeny tiny slim micro carry gun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't know how to push a button?
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:21:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By drobs:
I absolutely hated the paddle release on the HK USP I owned. What a horrible design.

Using a high hand hold, my middle finger got in the way of activating the mag release.

I see why HK thought it was a good idea to put indentations on the base of the grip so you could tear the magazine out.

The USP 45 is one of the few guns I don't regret trading off, years ago. I have never considered buying another one.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/41568/USP_45_jpg-3322914.JPG
View Quote

The USP mag release sucks ass. The bigger one like on the HK45C is awesome though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I wish they'd come out with an updated VP9-B with the optics cut..
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Tens of thousands of people that have zero problem doing rapid mag changes with button mag release. The mag release isn't your problem OP
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#17]
2. I stand by my point, its readily converted, not ambi, you aren't switching hands and operating it identically.
View Quote

Correct. Reversible =/= ambidextrous.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#18]

3. Don't care what someone uses as race guns, with massive mag release buttons and funneled magwells. this is about superior engineering, and manufacturing not making them. Perhaps this is mostly a training issue? I started competitive shooting with USP so I am probably bias, as most people who started with a button are probably just as bias. The main point is that I have found I do not have to reposition my grip to drop the mag on my USP, I do with most other handguns I've tried, with the USP I simply swipe my thumb down.

View Quote

LOL.  

Remember the .7 reload I was talking about?

That was a CO gun.  No magwell allowed, and he's got a button release that might be slightly oversize.

Jay Beal is currently one of the best shooters in the world.  Top 5 IMO.

.76 reload.

Here's his gun with it's "massive mag release button and funneled magwell."

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#19]
I've known lots and lots of shooters. Competitors and instructors. I've never met one in real life that advocates for the paddle.
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:26:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By CMiller:
Forget about all that, how about how vulnerable a button release is to getting hit unintentionally?

I've found my mag ejected multiple times in the holster. Now I'm paranoid about it and periodically check it.

That's a better argument for a paddle release than any concerns about user intentional manipulation.
View Quote
Same. And no, I'm not fat whatsoever
Link Posted: Yesterday 12:30:03 AM EDT
[#21]

Maybe, but which is easier to activate unintentionally?

There are plenty of stories of AR mags getting ejected by something bumping the button. There are plenty of stories of LE using a quality retention holster losing their mags.

What's the downside to reducing the chance of having a problem you don't discover until it could kill you?
View Quote
My ARs got the forward controls design extra power mag release springs. Fantastic. They're like $10 for 6 of them.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:08:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By txgunguy:
Same. And no, I'm not fat whatsoever
View Quote

Then your holster is shit.

I’ve literally never had a holster depress the mag release button and pop a mag out.
Link Posted: Today 8:04:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Forget about all that, how about how vulnerable a button release is to getting hit unintentionally?

I've found my mag ejected multiple times in the holster. Now I'm paranoid about it and periodically check it.

That's a better argument for a paddle release than any concerns about user intentional manipulation.
View Quote

Funny thing happened at my local gun store last week.
I was there looking at the used guns and a customer walks up to one of the salesman and he said we have a problem.
He has a holster and a gun in his hand. He said remember that holster I bought from you yesterday? Salesman said yes.
The guy takes the gun, slides it in the holster and the mag pops out.
The holster was "made for" that gun, but it depresses the mag release button when you slide the gun in it.
The salesman agreed to do a return on the holster.
Link Posted: Today 8:08:38 AM EDT
[#24]

1.Valid Point

View Quote

I agree with you.
Being able to swap it around is not ambi. It is convertible.
Ambi means it can be operated equally by either hand without having to do anything.
If you have to swap or flip parts, you are simply changing it from right handed to left handed.
Link Posted: Today 8:08:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Jeeps-And-Guns:

Funny thing happened at my local gun store last week.
I was there looking at the used guns and a customer walks up to one of the salesman and he said we have a problem.
He has a holster and a gun in his hand. He said remember that holster I bought from you yesterday? Salesman said yes.
The guy takes the gun, slides it in the holster and the mag pops out.
The holster was "made for" that gun, but it depresses the mag release button when you slide the gun in it.
The salesman agreed to do a return on the holster.
View Quote

What kind of holster was this?
Link Posted: Today 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Buttons are superior to paddles.

On my USP I use my thumb to activate the mag release similar to a button.
Link Posted: Today 8:13:54 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By 556Cliff:
Is it weird that I'm right handed and depress the right side paddle of the HK mag release with the middle finger of my right hand? I feel like that's how everybody would feel most comfortable doing it.
View Quote

Not weird at all. That is exactly how I have always done it.
No one ever told me or showed me to do it that way, it is just how I naturally figured out how to do it and was the quickest and easiest way to do it, for me anyways.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top