Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:39:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Dunderway:
Oh, I forgot that we're supposed to measure 1911 things at the thinnest part and Glock things at the thickest part when making comparisons.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Oh, I forgot that we're supposed to measure 1911 things at the thinnest part and Glock things at the thickest part when making comparisons.

Oh, I forgot "not even close" means something else.

Not to mention the base plate is what pokes the side and prints the most. Where as the thumb safety on a 1911 does neither.
What do you consider close?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:41:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By brasscrossedrifles:

This post is CNN levels of dishonesty.
View All Quotes

This post is CNN levels of dishonesty.

Oh, maybe you can explain what "not even close" means then.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:49:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#3]
It's not perfection. While they are amazing guns, the stock trigger isn't great, the grip is not to many many people's liking, and quite frankly, the aesthetics of a factory Glock just suck ass. Luckily lots of aftermarket parts and manufacturers of clones fix all of those issues with Glock's perfection.

It's always cool if people like factory Glocks, but there are quite a few other guns out there that do what a Glock does better in every way other than aftermarket support because of the sheer number of Glocks in circulation. My Black Metal M&P is a far superior gun out of the box for example.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 12:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

View Quote

At this scale ~.200" is a lot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:01:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#5]

View All Quotes

~18%
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:01:51 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

Now factor in the part that prints and pokes
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:03:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: King_Mud] [#7]

View All Quotes

That is true, the stupid baseplate corner is annoying. That's why I add extended cap basepads.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:40:00 PM EDT
[#8]
The whole "grip angle" thing is 87% people repeating what others say here because it's bandwagonthink.

It's meant to be a combat handgun.  It's not a target pistol.  The grip angle is fine for this.  You will not be more or less accurate with this or similar handguns with a different grip angle.

While I'm at it, the guys who love the G45 and G19x because "my mitts are big"... get a G17 then.  You're not getting any benefit from a shorter barrel and slide if you're going with the large frame.
It won't conceal better and I still laugh at the LEO who told me that "it wasn't designed for you" about this subject.
K

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:45:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#9]
Originally Posted By Alex_F:
The whole "grip angle" thing is 87% people repeating what others say here because it's bandwagonthink.

It's meant to be a combat handgun.  It's not a target pistol.  The grip angle is fine for this.  You will not be more or less accurate with this or similar handguns with a different grip angle.

While I'm at it, the guys who love the G45 and G19x because "my mitts are big"... get a G17 then.  You're not getting any benefit from a shorter barrel and slide if you're going with the large frame.
It won't conceal better and I still laugh at the LEO who told me that "it wasn't designed for you" about this subject.
K

View Quote
It is exceptionally accurate.

I can shoot it freehand standing 10 moa out to 75Y. Past that I still keep them C zone-ish at 100

My typical 50 yard groups are around 5 inches, as low as 3.5
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
It is exceptionally accurate.

I can shoot it freehand standing 10 moa out to 75Y. Past that I still keep them C zone-ish at 100

My typical 50 yard groups are around 5 inches, as low as 3.5
View Quote

It's perfectly fine for accuracy.  I meant it's not a target pistol as in the ones with custom grips et al.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#11]

K

View Quote

For appendix IWB carry the shorter barrel of the 45 does make a big difference in comfort. It also makes a difference when sitting in vehicles when carrying outside the waist band. It does depend on your holster and how high you wear your belt and what kind of vehicle you typically drive or ride in, but you are making a blanket authoritative statement that is only true for a minority of people.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 1:53:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_F] [#12]

For appendix IWB carry the shorter barrel of the 45 does make a big difference in comfort. It also makes a difference when sitting in vehicles when carrying outside the waist band. It does depend on your holster and how high you wear your belt and what kind of vehicle you typically drive or ride in, but you are making a blanket authoritative statement that is only true for a minority of people.
View Quote

If you're concerned mostly with appendix IWB carry a g43x with the 15rd mags.  People always try to appendix the biggest thing they can then cut back the barrel for 'comfort'.

Next, people carried longer pistols than the 19/19x/45 for a long time with no issues with comfort.  It's an inch.  It's NOT as big a deal as you're making it out to be.
The longer barrel IS more useful than the extra inch of wiggle in your seat.

let me edit this:  back in the day when LEOs were generally thin, unlike today (BUT ALEX_F WE WEAR ARMOR NOW)

But you do whatever your friends tell you is smart instead of making up your own mind.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:06:46 PM EDT
[#13]

If you're concerned mostly with appendix IWB carry a g43x with the 15rd mags.  People always try to appendix the biggest thing they can then cut back the barrel for 'comfort'.

Next, people carried longer pistols than the 19/19x/45 for a long time with no issues with comfort.  It's an inch.  It's NOT as big a deal as you're making it out to be.
The longer barrel IS more useful than the extra inch of wiggle in your seat.

let me edit this:  back in the day when LEOs were generally thin, unlike today (BUT ALEX_F WE WEAR ARMOR NOW)

But you do whatever your friends tell you is smart instead of making up your own mind.

View Quote

I'm talking about appendix carry. The length matters. If you can't figure out why the length matters more for appendix carry then you should probably just stop, you're out of your depth.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]

I'm talking about appendix carry. The length matters. If you can't figure out why the length matters more for appendix carry then you should probably just stop, you're out of your depth.
View Quote

Did you actually read my post before posting this?  Because I don't believe you did.  It not only says why length is a thing for appendix but it provides a solution to the 'problem'.

Speaking of "out of your depth", you should just go back to reading and post less.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By seamasterpro:
anecdotal evidence, took a very novice couple shooting yesterday to give them some pistols to try before they buy, we had: G17, G19, G43x, full size OZ9, CZ TSO and surprisingly they both liked the G19 the best, to them it seemed like it was easier to shoot and shot softer than the rest which kind of suprised me
View Quote

I got some more anecdotal evidence. Every person that I have let shoot my Glocks and my M&Ps at the same time, converted to the M&P. That is a whopping grand total of 5.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#16]

K

View Quote

Oh I beg to differ with you bigly on your second paragraph. I am much more accurate with 1911 grip angles than I am with with Glocks. The 1911 angle is the combat angle, that’s how JMB designed it. Glock chose something closer to a target angle for a combat gun for some odd reason.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#17]

K

View Quote

Back when I was shooting my 1911s a lot, a friend let me shoot his glock 17.  When presenting the gun, the barrel was tipped up because it is an unnatural grip angle.  Sure, you can get used to it with practice.  But it just isn't a natural grip angle.  I'd don't want to have to take 0.3 seconds or however long it takes to get a fucked up sight picture and then push the gun forward and down before I can take a shot.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:45:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
I subjectively don’t like Glocks.

Objectively, the G19 is as close to the ideal handgun you can get.
View Quote

Subjectively, I don't like Glocks either.  But, the G19 is the one gun that I have always come back to after trying to find something better.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 2:49:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By CloseAir:

Trust the 228 can take quite a beating

This was the first pistol I purchased and the first that I carried (for over 8 years). Fantastic all around pistol. And if I ever ran out of ammo I could certainly bludgeon someone with it and not worry.

Fun to see the two sides of the coin.. I carry a G45 daily now mostly because I don't give a fuck about it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/597482/IMG_0913_JPG-3314033.JPG https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/597482/IMG_0915_JPG-3314034.JPG
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CloseAir:
Originally Posted By CarlosC:

Yup. My favorite is my West German Sig P-228. Probably the best handgun I've ever fired, but it goes to the range in a padded case, gets fired, cleaned, admired, and goes back in the safe.

Trust the 228 can take quite a beating

This was the first pistol I purchased and the first that I carried (for over 8 years). Fantastic all around pistol. And if I ever ran out of ammo I could certainly bludgeon someone with it and not worry.

Fun to see the two sides of the coin.. I carry a G45 daily now mostly because I don't give a fuck about it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/597482/IMG_0913_JPG-3314033.JPG https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/597482/IMG_0915_JPG-3314034.JPG

I think that Sig screwed the pooch by discontinuing the 228.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 3:55:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I wish they would make one in .38 Superb.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 4:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MoonDancer] [#21]
The compact size as epitomized by the Glock 19 is my favorite size in handguns.
One G19.5, two Poly80 Compacts, two Grit Grips G19.3 clones, CZ P-01, Kimber Compact CDP, and I'll add in a Ruger 2.75" Speed Six.
The 19.5 was my first Safe Action type handgun, followed by the P80s, and finally just this year, the Grit Grips versions.  
The Grit Grips gets everything right.  The Glock and the P80s sit in a drawer.  I don't think I've carried them since I got the first GG.  The grip angle is fixed, all Gen 3 components and accessories work with them (except it uses a Gen 4 mag release), and they fit every G19 holster I've tried them in.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:12:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_F] [#22]
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

Oh I beg to differ with you bigly on your second paragraph. I am much more accurate with 1911 grip angles than I am with with Glocks. The 1911 angle is the combat angle, that’s how JMB designed it. Glock chose something closer to a target angle for a combat gun for some odd reason.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JupiterMaximus:

You're probably much more accurate with 1911 grip angles because you practiced with that, moving to something new will cause issues for sure.  It doesn't mean that every gun needs a 1911 grip angle.

Originally Posted By Jambalaya:

Back when I was shooting my 1911s a lot, a friend let me shoot his glock 17.  When presenting the gun, the barrel was tipped up because it is an unnatural grip angle.  Sure, you can get used to it with practice.  But it just isn't a natural grip angle.  I'd don't want to have to take 0.3 seconds or however long it takes to get a fucked up sight picture and then push the gun forward and down before I can take a shot.

See above

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:20:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By AR15A2SporterII:
I wish they would make one in .38 Superb.
View Quote

Don’t recall the username but someone here did just that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote

Just dry fire. It doesn't take much.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 5:50:43 PM EDT
[#25]

Did you actually read my post before posting this?  Because I don't believe you did.  It not only says why length is a thing for appendix but it provides a solution to the 'problem'.

Speaking of "out of your depth", you should just go back to reading and post less.

View Quote

You should post practiscore results.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:30:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By CapedCrusader:

I haven't read through the thread yet so forgive me as I'm sure most of these points have already been made many times already.

The Glock 19 is best because:

1. The pistol is so mediocre that you won't care if it gets lost or stolen.

2. You don't need to worry much about aiming because it's a waste of time with such an inaccurate pistol.

3. If you are carrying a Glock 19, the bad guys will shoot at you last because you appear much less competent than the people with decent pistols.

View Quote

@CapedCrusader

I know the Glock doesn't have as much practical accuracy as something single action like a 1911, CZ75, or Beretta 92. I didn't know it has less inherent accuracy as those other guns. How much less inherent accuracy do Glocks have? Ex: Put it in a vise and slowly pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TW200:
Glock 19 gen 5 MOS is the best blue collar pistol made.
I just put a 4th G19.5 MOS on layaway.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/309020/20240131_125531_jpg-3314630.JPG

View Quote

Why so many of the same model?
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:37:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Flysc:

Guns are always a subjective subject. It depends what you want in life. My actual favorite vehicle is an old Accord. My favorite carry gun is a Glock (a G27).  I could likely leverage finances to drive a Corvette and have a Staccato in the safe , but i never will. I have zero desire for either.

I know i could hop in the Honda and drive it across country. I also know i could reliably run my whole ammo fort of Fotay and 9mm through my Glocks and they would cycle it all.
View Quote

@Flysc

There's probably a lesser chance the old but maintained Accord will go across the country without a breakdown than a new-ish Corvette. A Glock will shoot more rounds without being re-lubed more than most guns. OTHO, the saying goes something like this: Both a Hyundai and Mercedes will get you to where you need to go but the Mercedes will make it a more enjoyable experience.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By deanwormer:
Maybe now that the old fart is dead we can get a proper grip angle?
Yea that would require redesigning the mags

But that would also be a chance to get rid of the plastic sheath that only serves to add unneeded thickness to every gun they offer
(Look how shield went from 10 to 15 mostly by just using a metal only mag with more space)
View Quote

Glock's purpose or original purpose with the grip angle was less muzzle flip and/or recoil control.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Still seems extremely successful as full time duty weapon across many agencies, so I'm not sure about that part.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MVolkJ:
The G19 sits in an odd place these days. It's too big to be a real compact - things like the G43, P365, and Hellcat do that better - and it's too small to be a full-size.

It's a perfectly good gun, but it sits in a size/form-factor space that doesn't have a lot of relevance any longer.

Still seems extremely successful as full time duty weapon across many agencies, so I'm not sure about that part.

True, though the G17 weighs just a little more, I think. If I was law enforcement, I'd prefer the 17 on my belt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:45:57 PM EDT
[#31]
My early on association with Glock perfection was a Gen 2 Glock 23.  It was an outstanding pistol....when I switched to 9mm and since then I thought the best Glock was the 19.3 pistol.  I now am sure the best all around Glock is the 45.  19 size slide with a 17 size pantry of groceries

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#32]

What do you mean they ran "pretty well"? Like them or not, Glocks just run and run. Their reliability is akin to the AK-47. Plus you have a simple design with no frills, just pull the trigger, which happens to be the same on every shot.

I do agree with your reason on why it rose to the top. At the time in appeared, most pistols with that capacity were larger, so the reason to get one was Why Not? 16 rounds of 9mm in a gun smaller than (almost) anything available.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sigman68:
Glock became popular because they were cheap and they ran pretty well.  The G19 rose to the top of the Glock pile because of it's size.

I own one, just because, but carry an H&K P30 because it is just a nicer gun all around, and I enjoy shooting it much more than the Glock.

What do you mean they ran "pretty well"? Like them or not, Glocks just run and run. Their reliability is akin to the AK-47. Plus you have a simple design with no frills, just pull the trigger, which happens to be the same on every shot.

I do agree with your reason on why it rose to the top. At the time in appeared, most pistols with that capacity were larger, so the reason to get one was Why Not? 16 rounds of 9mm in a gun smaller than (almost) anything available.

I knew a fellow who's non-9mm Glock wouldn't digest at least one hollow point reliably.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 6:58:48 PM EDT
[#33]

View Quote

Ditto!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

Ditto!
View Quote

It really is just a 5 minute dry fire fix. The two guns were designed with slightly different philosophies about grip angle. Its not a big deal at all.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:11:55 PM EDT
[#35]

View All Quotes

But why?  

The P80 does everything a glock does and it already presents with the sights aligned.  No need to retrain myself.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:28:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Is there anyone here who doesn't own a G19?

Was one of the first pistols I bought, no the THE first, but was
around 90 and Glock was still kind of a wunder waffe, plastic fantastic that was a unique sensation..
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:39:49 PM EDT
[#37]
The P80 does everything a glock does
View Quote

Except for fit in a bunch of the best holsters, sure. Mostly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#38]

Except for fit in a bunch of the best holsters, sure. Mostly.
View Quote
Try a Grit Grips frame.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:50:37 PM EDT
[#39]

Not to mention the base plate is what pokes the side and prints the most. Where as the thumb safety on a 1911 does neither.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000001390_jpg-3314790.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433221/1000001399_jpg-3314791.JPG
View All Quotes

I was scrutinized for even suggesting that a 9mm Glock is thinner in some areas than a 1911.  I guarantee if I said it was the same width as a 1911 I would have been corrected on a less than .1 slide thickness.  

So yes, almost 1/4" is "not even close".  1911s are awesome, and can conceal very well but you are being extremely selective in this conversation, which still doesn't have much to do with a G19.

Not trying to start a fight.  I like your posts here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#40]
I was scrutinized for even suggesting that a 9mm Glock is thinner in some areas than a 1911.  I guarantee if I said it was the same width as a 1911 I would have been corrected on a less than .1 slide thickness.  

So yes, almost 1/4" is "not even close".  1911s are awesome, and can conceal very well but you are being extremely selective in this conversation, which still doesn't have much to do with a G19.

View All Quotes

I never really intended to really even push the thread drift either.  I'm pretty sure I even threw my hat in the g19 is the best all around 9mm made ring too BTW
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:15:33 PM EDT
[#41]

I was considering a Glock 19 as my second handgun but I think I’ll pass for something with thinner metal magazines.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:30:07 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

We don't need to because we have no need for a Glock if we don't want one.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#43]
No thanks, M9 for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:46:27 PM EDT
[#44]

What do you mean by gaggle-f____?

@rb889
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rb889:...But Glock was on the scene first, and aggressively marketed their cheaply-made pistol to LE departments, practically giving them away. Turned out they worked pretty well, and Glock gained enough institutional inertia to beat out the better design. Being cheaper, and not gaggle-fucked by S&W probably helped a lot.

What do you mean by gaggle-f____?

@rb889

Remember the SW99?

When Walther tried breaking into LE markets here, it was right after the 40S&W dumbassery gained momentum, so a lot of departments were looking for 40’s. Walther hadn’t made anything in 40, so they needed someone with experience to avoid lengthy R&D.

They also didn’t have a manufacturing base here in the states, so they partnered with a domestic manufacturer, which happened to be S&W, seeing as they were the brains behind 40. Makes sense, right?

Except Smith completely fucked up the release, there was no marketing, the guns were ugly as shit compared to the original P99’s, and the 40 models were plagued with problems. IIRC, even the standard 9’s had QC issues that Walther guns never had.

The only thing they did right was release a 45 version, that was pretty neat, but it was basically a single stack.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:39:58 AM EDT
[#45]

Why so many of the same model?
View Quote
Because I keep one G19.5 MOS in bedroom
One G19.5 MOS in living room
One G19.5 MOS in den.
The 4th Glock 19.5 I'll keep iron sights on it to keep me honest.
**If you can't shoot a Glock, then your pistol skill sucks ASS .**
***GLOCK DERANGEMENT SYDROME IS FUNNY TO WATCH***.
Glock 20 10MM shooting at two 10 inch steel plates at fifty yards

Glock 19.5 50 yards to 10" steel plates.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:55:49 AM EDT
[#46]
We live in great times where there are so many options of pistols

You should own/carry what you like and what works for you.

I’ve been around glocks for 30 years:

They aren’t pretty

They aren’t elegant

They work quite well for their intended purpose

But they aren’t necessarily one size fits all for everyone

They are just a tool

To each their own
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 7:58:28 AM EDT
[#47]
The minimal profile of the slide and gun itself sets it apart.

Everyone tries to come close, but add a little dimension here or there.

M&P and PDP have very wide slides.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By DerekL:
Glock 17 is better.
View Quote
FPNI
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 8:29:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#49]
My g19 carries well, shoots well, doesn’t need a ton of maintenance, has never failed to perform in at least a thousand rounds, and was dirt cheap.

It’s the perfect disposable self defense pistol for me.

For sheer “joy to shoot”, value, Sig p228 wins.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Top Top