Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2024 7:54:03 PM EDT

Hi GD,
I built a small shop in the backyard about 50 feet from the house.
I can get a WiFi signal but it is weaker than I would like.
What is a good signal booster that I can put in the shop and not break the bank.

I don't need the WiFi for any intensive stuff, mainly just controlling the mini-split remotely, running a smart TV
and streaming music when I'm out there.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:01:15 PM EDT
[#1]
This thing works absolutely fantastic in my shop. Steel building, 60 feet from the house.

Amazon Product
  • [Stable Wifi Extender]: Wifi booster, this strongest wifi extender with lastest dual band technology can provide up to 300Mbps for 2.4GHz, up to 867Mbps for 5Ghz, a total rate of about 1200Mbps maximize your network quality and reduce the loss of data transmission. Internet extender, 4 external high-gain antennas will provide a more stable signal and greater penetration to beat frustrating Wi-Fi dead zones with superior performance

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an older netgear extender. It works fine.

Just get one that is a brand you know.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Anything that's good for penetrating block walls? My wifi drops on teams calls when I walk out the basement door to walk the dogs around the house and it's annoying
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:53 PM EDT
[#4]
50’?

Conduit + Ethernet + wireless access point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#5]
A mesh network is what you seek OP.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:22:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLK_MAJK] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Screenshot_2024-04-24_171349_jpg-3197080.JPG
View Quote

This is what I have.  Love it.  I can get signal more than halfway down my 1/4 mile driveway. Not 100% strength/speed mind you, but functional.  I get signal at my pond, the greenhouse and in my barn.  Basically everywhere on my 5+ acre property. I used to have a Netgear nighthawk mesh and it was pure ass.  The satellites would constantly drop out and there were multiple times I had to factory reset the whole system. I LOATHED that system. The deco just works.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:36:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#7]
Originally Posted By BLK_MAJK:

This is what I have.  Love it.  I can get signal more than halfway down my 1/4 mile driveway. Not 100% strength/speed mind you, but functional.  I get signal at my pond, the greenhouse and in my barn.  Basically everywhere on my 5+ acre property. I used to have a Netgear nighthawk mesh and it was pure ass.  The satellites would constantly drop out and there were multiple times I had to factory reset the whole system. I LOATHED that system. The deco just works.
View Quote

Interesting, I've not had any issues with my Nighthawk mesh.
Base and 3 satellites, one of which is hardwired.
House, 2 story garage, and large block workshop, all separate.

Put an Eero mesh in my grandparents' house, no issues there, much more basic setup.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:48:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pallas] [#8]
Get an access point, run outdoor rated cat6 to your shop, you can bury it. I likely wouldn’t even bother with conduit except where you run it up/down the wall on the exterior, and then just a few feet are fine. Just get the pre-made monoprice. Measure, then measure again, then add 10-20’.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the same issue. Plus I'd like to get a stronger signal at the other end of the house. Is it possible to use 2 of these at the same time in different locations?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By BloodRaven:
I have the same issue. Plus I'd like to get a stronger signal at the other end of the house. Is it possible to use 2 of these at the same time in different locations?
View Quote

Once more ....   MESH
Say it with me.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:11:04 PM EDT
[#11]
So mesh is sexy, but my last place I went cheap and combined one point to point bridge to get my garage, and a power line adapter to get my bedroom.

If on the same panel, power line will work, otherwise any point to point bridge from someone like tp link would be fine.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Once more ....   MESH
Say it with me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RDTCU:

Once more ....   MESH
Say it with me.

You ment to say mesh with wired backhaul.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not sexy and it's definitely not Tier 1 but a RE220 solved my wifi problems for less than $20.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:28:48 PM EDT
[#14]
50' ain't very far, I would hardwire it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:30:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MilHouse-556:

You ment to say mesh with wired backhaul.
View Quote

This is the way.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]

View Quote

I have five decos covering 2400 sf of single story house.

Still cant get coverage in my master bathroom even though 3 decos are within a 20 foot radius. House has aluminum siding and exterior coverage is garbage
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:30:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Toker_:

This is the way.
View Quote

What brand and model is preferred or does it not matter as much if it’s wired vs WiFi mesh?
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:41:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kc-coyote] [#19]
View Quote

I have the Deco mesh system shown in my earlier post.  Two of the nodes are hardwired and the third is not, but you would never know.  The system is EXTREMELY stable and reaches every end of my home with no dead spots.  You can move from one end of the house to another and the signal does not drop.  It was well worth the cost.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:29:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Ubiquiti

Mike drop, *BOOM*
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:50:31 AM EDT
[#21]
You can buy direct burial Cat 6.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:01:19 AM EDT
[#22]
If you're router has multiple screw in antennas you can but a $10-$20 antenna you can double or quadruple the signal level.

The cheap Chinese places like Wish sell directional "yagi" antennas that beam the energy in a direction. You replace one antenna with the yagi antenna and point it towards the distant shop.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:13:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By kc-coyote:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/26697/Screenshot_2024-04-24_171349_jpg-3197080.JPG
View Quote

I went mesh as well with the - "TP-Link Deco AX3000 WiFi 6 Mesh System(Deco X55) - Covers up to 6500 Sq.Ft. , Replaces Wireless Router and Extender, 3 Gigabit ports per unit, supports Ethernet Backhaul (3-pack)" I have 3 in the house (2 backhauled, 1 wireless) and one wireless in the detached garage. In my case, it would be difficult to backhaul the other two. The system is great and i can travel around well in the house, garage, yard and driveway without dropping the signal. The x55 is a little cheaper at $169 on Amazon right now for 3 pods. It worked so well for me that I bought another system to put in the GF's house. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Green_Label:

I have five decos covering 2400 sf of single story house.

Still cant get coverage in my master bathroom even though 3 decos are within a 20 foot radius. House has aluminum siding and exterior coverage is garbage
View Quote

Mesh nodes use the same WiFi frequencies.

Too many that close together risks the nodes jamming each other.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:31:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By 2PE119:What brand and model is preferred or does it not matter as much if it’s wired vs WiFi mesh?
View Quote

You're looking for a tri- or quad- band that uses a dedicated band to connect the mesh together while the clients talk on the others.

Wire is preferred for its speed and security.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought one of these and it goes out to 290 yards

Amazon Product
  • \u2b50[AC1200 Dual-Band&Upgraded Chip Technology Supported]:The next generation of Wi-Fi, complies with IEEE 802 11 ac/a/b/g/n standards.Dual-Band maximum speed up to 5GHz 867Mbps and 2.4GHz 300Mbps;With a brand-new chip MT7621A supported, you can keep more devices(64~96) connected simultaneously with the dual bands and enables Wavlink router/AP/repeater to work together, which is superior choice for seamless HD streaming, online gaming and other bandwidth-intensive tasks.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:42:59 AM EDT
[#27]
I got a netgear wifi extender for my shop about 8 years ago.  I got it off amazon for $25, the same or similar one is $38 now.  It has not given me any problems and works great.

Amazon link
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 8:13:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ryandushku] [#28]
I paid like $15 for a TP-Link AC750 extender several years back. I plugged it in behind the fridge which is on the exterior wall facing my detached garage about 15 feet away. It's worked flawlessly. I see it's on sale for $10 now, probably not the best but for $10 is worth a shot
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:00:52 AM EDT
[#29]

View Quote
This has been my experience as an ISP too...

I have one customer that has a "She Shed" for crafting and what not that wanted service in it as well, but did not want to pay for it.
I told her she could try putting in one of these Deco Mesh systems and put one of the 3 units on the wall closest to the shed and one in the shed on the wall closest to the house and maybe they'll reach each other and connect, providing you signal in the shed.   She has been tickled with it.

I have another with an old guy doing the same thing, its his man cave. Also have a 3rd with a customer who has cabin in ther back yard thats set up as a vrbo, AIRbnb or whatever... We have probably deployed a 100 or so of those Decco mesh systems and had only 1 issue with one of them defaulting that i know of...
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 11:11:13 AM EDT
[#30]
Just replaced mine with a $40 Netgear from Best Buy. They work great.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:25:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kashtin:
This thing works absolutely fantastic in my shop. Steel building, 60 feet from the house.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0BZVK92KY
View Quote

Thanks for the recommendation, ordered this Wednesday, got delivered today, less than 10 minutes to set it up, and its working great.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top