Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2023 4:18:23 PM EDT
Question for window and door guys: what size window is this?

Notes:

A.  it is a new construction window
B.  I'm only concerned about the width for the purpose of this conversation.
C.  I'm asking about the "trade size", i.e. what is it sold as

For what it's worth, I was expecting it to be a 3060, but would a 30XX measure like this?

(2) pics below.  Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
It's a 69420
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 4:41:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like 28 to me, as in 2' 8".
Link Posted: 7/22/2023 5:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks to me you are measuring way wrong. Its not like interior doors where you measure the slab (sash in this case) but the frame and you have jambs on it that could have been applied at the factory or in the field. Generally jambs are 3/4” or 5/8” built to outside of window frame. Some dipshits make their own reveal though. So you would butt jamb to jamb and add minimum 1.25” (unless you want to remove the jamb and get a true number).

If you can find a tag with manu and serial they will tell you exactly what size it is.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:21:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like 28 to me, as in 2' 8".
View Quote

Thanks. Yea, I realized that it's a 2860.

What is it called when two windows are adjoined?

example:

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:24:59 PM EDT
[#5]
220...221...whatever it takes.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks. Yea, I realized that it's a 2860.

What is it called when two windows are adjoined?

example:

https://c2operations.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/double-hung-window-IMG-5.jpg
View Quote
Twin double hung. AKA: mulled

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:34:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Twin double hung. AKA: mulled

View Quote

Thanks.

How would a twin be designated?  3060T, for example?
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Pro tip:

Stop bending your tape measure.

Look on the back or bottom.  It will tell you the length of the box portion(case) to add so you can just run the tape straight.

Or get a laser.
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
No idea but you need to clean your sill
Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks.

View Quote
Sorry, I don't know. If I had to guess, it's going to depend on the manufacturer or dealer.

Link Posted: 7/25/2023 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry, I don't know. If I had to guess, it's going to depend on the manufacturer or dealer.

View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:28:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I discovered that I have twin 210410 DH windows in two bedrooms.  Why would the builder use an odd size?  Why not just use twin 3050 DH windows?
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:42:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

It is the opening it fits, you order mulled/ picture/ casement…

3060 2 light mulled double hung.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:51:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

So say there is a single 3060 in the design.  The framer creates a 36” x 72” opening in the wall.  The inside jambs, however, will measure in at 2’10” x 5’10”.  Is that correct?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

So say there is a single 3060 in the design.  The framer creates a 36” x 72” opening in the wall.  The inside jambs, however, will measure in at 2’10” x 5’10”.  Is that correct?  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What?
Framing is 1” over window size (1/2” around) jambs if not applied can be any point on the frame. If applied at factory, they will usually be at frame size or a fuzz over.

On a 3060 single light. RO would be 31”x61”
Link Posted: 7/30/2023 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What?
Framing is 1” over window size (1/2” around) jambs if not applied can be any point on the frame. If applied at factory, they will usually be at frame size or a fuzz over.

On a 3060 single light. RO would be 31”x61”
View Quote

You said “it’s the opening it fits”, which made me think that a window designated 3060 would fit a 36” x 72” rough opening.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes apologies. Yesterday was a long day. You find window, they relay window sizes (sometimes they will come with rough opening dimensions too)
So that one would be 37” x 73” (1/2” all around for insulation, tolerance stacking, adjusting to square)
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes apologies. Yesterday was a long day. You find window, they relay window sizes (sometimes they will come with rough opening dimensions too)
So that one would be 37” x 73” (1/2” all around for insulation, tolerance stacking, adjusting to square)
View Quote

No worries.  You are the one helping me, which is much appreciated.

OK so here's another example.  In my garage, I have a new construction window that measures 34-1/4" from side jamb to side jamb and 70" from the head jamb to the stool.

This was a "standard" double-hung window that was installed 4 years ago when the house was built.

What size is it?

Would it be a 210510?

That seems like an oddball, though.

I feel like the builder would have used a 3060.

There are no constraints.  It's on a big open wall.

Thanks again for the help.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

OK so here's another example.  In my garage, I have a new construction window that measures 34-1/4" from side jamb to side jamb and 70" from the head jamb to the stool.

This was a "standard" double-hung window that was installed 4 years ago when the house was built.

What size is it?

Would it be a 210510?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size is it?

Would it be a 210510?

Our window supplier will sometimes change window dimensions based on egress requirements and other factors (roof line, grade…)
They are a replacement window supplier as well though.

With vinyl you can find some odd sizes as it just needs to be cut and welded. Glass can come in any size/ shape needed to fit.

If thats jamb you are talking about, it is tough to tell exactly as different material can be use to jamb a window. 5/8, 3/4, sometimes 1” even depending but is rare. If jambed on site, they could have made up their own reveal on the inside of the frame (hate those people by the way).

Most window companies will accept the style of window with just some existing window numbers or RO numbers. Some won’t make certain sizes so you have to go up (possibly change headers (yuck)) or down (frame in and fix siding).
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Our window supplier will sometimes change window dimensions based on egress requirements and other factors (roof line, grade…)
They are a replacement window supplier as well though.

With vinyl you can find some odd sizes as it just needs to be cut and welded. Glass can come in any size/ shape needed to fit.

If thats jamb you are talking about, it is tough to tell exactly as different material can be use to jamb a window. 5/8, 3/4, sometimes 1” even depending but is rare. If jambed on site, they could have made up their own reveal on the inside of the frame (hate those people by the way).

Most window companies will accept the style of window with just some existing window numbers or RO numbers. Some won’t make certain sizes so you have to go up (possibly change headers (yuck)) or down (frame in and fix siding).
View Quote

Thanks for the addition info.  Much appreciated.

The jamb material is 3/4".
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 12:15:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you replacing your windows that are only 4 years old?
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Are you replacing your windows that are only 4 years old?
View Quote

I need to move and resize two of them to make room for the ridge of an addition.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#23]
(2) 3o6o is for a double.  If they were singles (not mulled) they would usually each be labeled 3o6o.  

The window size will relate to the outside of the window unit frame (not including the flange) for the framed opening, not the window sash. So your measurement won't mean much, unless you're just ordering replacement sashes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 1:43:47 PM EDT
[#24]
You are measuring wrong, measure outside to outside of the exterior of the window. You must also take into account the sheetrock return that is covering up the jambs of that window. There will be a sticker somewhere in the inside of the jamb with either a size or serial number. In my area windows are ordered off the plan and the builder is given exact rough openings by the window manufacturer before framing starts.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 3:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
OK so from what I gather, a 3060 new construction window, for example, would measure 36" from frame member to frame member (only using width in this example), with "frame" being defined as:

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 7:48:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OK so from what I gather, a 3060 new construction window, for example, would measure 36" from frame member to frame member (only using width in this example), with "frame" being defined as:

https://pellabranch-prod.gumlet.io/webres/Image/misc/illustration-parts-of-a-window.png?w=400&dpr=2.6
View Quote

Framing member refers to the structure (RO)

Frame is the window like the pic.

Framing member (structure) will be 1” over frame (window).

Terminology is important when dealing with this stuff and even if you call it out correct, someone will interpret it differently. It makes the job very fun. Lol
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the help with this, @Er_Mah_Gerd and others.

Who makes a good quality new construction window?

I started a dedicated post here:

Link Posted: 8/5/2023 8:09:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
220...221...whatever it takes.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top