Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/15/2022 11:55:36 AM EDT
What are your thoughts on Push-in (not outlet push-ins!) and Wago connectors vs. the good ole wire nut? Looking at a few projects I plan to do over the winter in an older house, lot of small outlet boxes where wire nuts could quickly crowd up the box, I've always used wire nuts up to this point but after learning a bit more about Push-in and Wago connectors and some of the conveniences they offer I'm leaning that way. I've talked with a few sparky's who love them, others who weren't so keen on them. Anyone had problems using Wago's or had them unlock, seems like they don't unlock too easily and could be taped if you were really worried?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Wago because they annoy internet "experts"
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Taped wire nuts and back-stabbed outlets are the only way to fly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Wago levers all day

I are an electrician you can trust me
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:00:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I only really use push-ins when there is limited room to fit wire nuts. Wire nuts make great connections if they are used correctly, I am less confident about the connections of push-ins.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:18:41 PM EDT
[#5]
I like taped wire nuts because there is only one connection point - the wires are directly and thoroughly connected together.  I'm not apposed to the others, but wire nuts are my first choice.  And they're cheap.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:24:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Crimp on butt splice.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Taped wire nuts and back-stabbed outlets are the only way to fly.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:27:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Wire nuts where I can, Wago's where I have to.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on application. Most general receptacle/light switch home stuff just gets wire nuts. If there are a bunch of ground connections (4+) the wagos can be a great solution especially if you don't have a lot of slack in the wire or room.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:29:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Wire nuts where I can, Wago's where I have to.
View Quote

And I tend to put a wrap of tape around the Wagos...I don't trust the levers alone
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe the Wago fans can explain something to me.  I haven't used them, and don't know a lot about them.  But they seem to rely on spring tension on the terminals... doesn't that effectively make them about as good long-term as the back-stab/push-in connectors?

Looking at the images I see of how the internal clamps work, they seem (to my armchair-quarterbacking mind) about the same as the push-ins, which would mean they'll be fine now, not so much over time.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
We don’t use push ins. We use wire nuts, crimped on bolted or split bolts on motors. Wire nuts, lever lock Wagos, or Polaris connectors on other circuits depending on size and application. And terminal blocks and strips of course.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:48:36 PM EDT
[#13]
What is this kind of connection called? I found it in an aftermarket timer of a commercial mixer I bought. Al least there was tape around it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What is this kind of connection called? I found it in an aftermarket timer of a commercial mixer I bought. Al least there was tape around it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168740/530BBCC8-779D-4E00-B490-D8740307DAA1_jpe-2563842.JPG
View Quote

Is it wrong if it works?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Wago levers all day

I are an electrician you can trust me
View Quote

Am very trust
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:51:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Depends on what it is and how fast I need to cobble it.  

Normally:
Household wiring: wire nuts
Everything else: solder and heat shrink
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:53:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/168740/530BBCC8-779D-4E00-B490-D8740307DAA1_jpe-2563842.JPG
View Quote

Looks like a textbook Florida Man connection, at first I thought it might be a China's best for export only creation but then I noticed one wire was solid strand!
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is it wrong if it works?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it wrong if it works?

The ol "ends justify the means" defense.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Wago levernuts all the way.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:54:56 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why do u hate ingenuity
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I really like the Wago connectors. I have a lot of older metal junction boxes = these are f'n small compared to modern boxes. It makes for tight quarters if you have more than two lines. The Wago's let you stack the wires in the junction box very neatly and everything fits inside flat with room to spare vs. a twisted birds nest of wires that have to be pushed in hard just to close the cover.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 12:56:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Looks like a textbook Florida Man connection, at first I thought it might be a China's best for export only creation but then I noticed the wire was solid strand!
View Quote

No, it's a nice 5qt Hobart mixer. The previous owner had just scabbed a timer box on the side of it and wired it thusly.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Depends on application. Most general receptacle/light switch home stuff just gets wire nuts. If there are a bunch of ground connections (4+) the wagos can be a great solution especially if you don't have a lot of slack in the wire or room.
View Quote

Grounds? WAGOs
Power? Wirenuts
Lighting or Controls? Flip WAGOs
Ive seen to many Push-In anythings spontaneously fail to trust them on power circuits.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I really like the Wago connectors. I have a lot of older metal junction boxes = these are f'n small compared to modern boxes. It makes for tight quarters if you have more than two lines. The Wago's let you stack the wires in the junction box very neatly and everything fits inside flat with room to spare vs. a twisted birds nest of wires that have to be pushed in hard just to close the cover.

View Quote

Yea that's what I'm dealing with, on a few of them its a miracle anyone was able to get the receptacle screwed down, at one point I thought about replacing some of the boxes for larger ones.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Grounds? WAGOs
Power? Wirenuts
Ive seen to many Push-In anythings spontaneously fail to trust them on power circuits.
View Quote

How did they fail, metal tab losing tension over time?
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Low amperage things I might trust Wago’s. Otherwise wire nuts
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:22:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grounds? WAGOs
Power? Wirenuts

Most likely, galvanic corrosion.  The internal components are not the same metal as the wire.   This is another advantage of wire nuts.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:33:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Meh...I can take them or leave them. Never liked push-ins though. I usually only run in to those on fixtures...they suck for small stranded wire.

I'll give you a bit of advice on box make-up...no one ever leaves enough wire for what I consider proper make-up. How your wire lays in the box should be a forethought, not an afterthought.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grounds? WAGOs
Power? Wirenuts

Literally fall apart in a box. One splice in a random junction box, killing several outlets. Same site, months apart, one time critical systems going offline, and another time some can crushers down.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Low amperage things I might trust Wago’s. Otherwise wire nuts
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:47:43 PM EDT
[#32]
My dad has a shop filled with random hardware. When I moved out, he gave me a “greatest hits” assortment of random useful stuff, including a couple hundred various size wire nuts.  I’ve never had to buy a connector, so I’ve never tried any newer designs.

I guess I’m using wire nuts made in the 70s-80s, but they still work fine.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:52:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:56:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Wago makes great stuff but a lever nut seems kind of dumb for something that never gets swapped out. Also, probably more expensive than wire nuts. We use their terminal blocks in our panels, they are awesome.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Wire nuts, because I bought a couple boxes of different sizes, and still haven't gone through them.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Wago is best for joining stranded to solid wire - like ceiling fans, light fixtures, etc.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Wagos for the win.  Just ordered a bunch yesterday for my camper solar project.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Kinda depends on the current. If its low voltage and or low current and in a panel, wagos. Wire nuts are more secure as the the other guy noted above. Also the the push ins suck and only cause its cause you dont have the others.  Also, the lever stuff has been in application for years in panels on some contactors, relays, motor starters and terminal strips with no issue, so i see no problem with them as upgrades to wire nuts.

fwiw, the gray plastic style looks more durable than the clear brittle plastic lever styles also, since im concerned that viberation, heat, or oil will eventually break down the polystyrene or whatever the composition of the clear ones are.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Not a fan of push ins.  A buddy called me to look at some flickering lights at his house as he left to go to work since I had a key.  Also said a funny noise was coming from a light switch in a closet.  Funny noise was electrical arcing from the circuit home run not making good contact in the back of a push in of a outlet next to the light switch. At this point it had melted 6" of insulation off the wire but not tripped a breaker because the electrical boxes were plastic.  It was a very nice older home but the wiring looked tiny and didn't fit into the push in well.  I'm sure the entire house was like that.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#40]
I like WAGO lever nuts.  You can absolutely see you have enough conductor engaged.

I've done some household wiring with insulation retaining "double crimp" connectors too.

If they work with aircraft vibrations, I don't see how they'd be worse than a wire nut in a box.

Wire nuts seem crude in comparison
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:08:08 PM EDT
[#41]
If they had used some solder I would be ok with it.
But not like that.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
But not like that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
But not like that.

Quoted:

It’s like a NASA wire splice but……not
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:49:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Wagos.

If you aren't a moron, wire nuts are fine, too. Wagos do fit better in a box.

ETA Lever lock Wago. Nothing push in.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 5:52:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Push-in connections are lurking death. I used to List that shit at UL and would NEVER use them in my house.

Back-wire clamp is the way to go.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:03:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

That said, I usually just use wire nuts.  Especially if I have to tie a shit-ton of neutrals together.  Seems that a wago connector takes up more room in a gang box than a larger diameter wire nut.
View Quote

you do know that it's not legal/code to put more than six wires in a wire nut no matter how big it is right? Only the wire combinations on the packaging are listed and I've only found one wire nut that is listed for seven. Everything else maxes out at six to meet the listing requirements regardless of size.

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:08:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Wire nuts primarily, lever nuts fire alarm type stuff or if job spec or that's what I have on me. Motors, bolted stakon type terminals or Polaris connectors, wire nuts when I have to.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:37:29 PM EDT
[#47]
I think I could probably use a 14thhn off your trailer hitch and hang your F150 from another 14thhn using a harbor freight wire nut... so I'm going with wire nuts. A properly installed wire nut is never going to let go.

Properly installed means NOT pre-twisted.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#48]
This is for the people like me who didn't know what a WAGO is:

Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:17:30 PM EDT
[#49]
I like wago's for 3+ conductors, wire nut for simple 2 conductor replaceable connection, solder/shrink for permanent splice. I also prefer wire nuts if I'm running stranded instead of solid, easier to assure no stray strands. I tape based on type, black for hots, white for neutrals, green for grounds, but it is more for piece of mind than need.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 7:21:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I think I could probably use a 14thhn off your trailer hitch and hang your F150 from another 14thhn using a harbor freight wire nut... so I'm going with wire nuts. A properly installed wire nut is never going to let go.

Properly installed means NOT pre-twisted.
View Quote
I don't disagree that properly installed wire nuts work, I don't even know how many thousands I've installed.

Having said that, they're essentially "illegal" (by that I mean you can't get the various regulatory approvals needed) in medical devices and airplanes.  

They depend on technique more than other methods and can't be verified/process validated well.

If medical device companies could use a 5 cent wire nut instead of a 40 cent crimp connector, they would.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top