User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 2:59:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where I live in Ohio there are no sirens. Country life is the best life.
View Quote

What you need is this bad boy, the American Signal Tempest-135 (T-135)!!! 135 decibels @ 100 feet!
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 3:40:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

30min south of me, about half way in between us, got a ton of damage. We had warnings to the north, south, and right up the middle this morning, but zero damage.
View Quote

No tree damage? We lost a lot of small limbs and our yard is littered with small debris.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No mobile home but "Heat Islands" are real things and I live down stream from a huge one.
View Quote

I-70 is a heat island.  Or more like a river.   That thing seems to spawn its on convective storms in the summer in Ohio, running right down it east to west.  I have driven through a few torrential downpours where you maybe had 100 yd or less visibility.  Pull off and risk getting hit by traffic, or keep going at a reduced speed.   One at night where at least the near constant lightning showed if you were still in the lane.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]

The kecksburg UFO is in there!  
Enhance

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Air Force museum at Wright Patterson
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What airfield is this?

Air Force museum at Wright Patterson
The museum proper didn't get hit.  Near miss.  The damage pictured was done to an area (circled in red) where aircraft restoration is performed.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/28/2024 8:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
The storm woke me up around 4:45 this morning.
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What am I missing. I see a dumpster and a cloud that kinda looks like a cock & balls
View Quote
the jet in background with wings missing, I think?
ETA: I guess they were just relocated
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I work in wright patt. The storm did those buildings a favor.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#12]
The cell that dropped the EF-1 on Hillard passed over my house about five miles further east.  The rain was coming down so hard, my gutters couldn't keep up and the water was running over the edge.  The sewer in front of my house clogged with debris and the rain pooled in the culdesac, making the garbage cans float and fall over. After the cell passed, I waded into shin-deep water to clear the sewer grate and then had to collect all the trash that had floated out of the cans. What a mess.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:08:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:10:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Have you seen any graphics that show the path?  I'm curious if they line up, like it was one tornado that hopscotched across the landscape.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:23:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Have you seen any graphics that show the path?  I'm curious if they line up, like it was one tornado that hopscotched across the landscape.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

NWS's website sucks but somehow they publish them.

https://www.aol.com/ohio-tornadoes-see-paths-5-185507954.html?guccounter=1
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

From the news this morning.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's screen shots I got of weather radar, one minute before and one minute after it hit Hilliard.  Given where the track went, the tornado formed on the south edge of that red cell.

And here's a video from 5:28 AM.  Soon after, the cell got closer and I ran back inside.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 8:56:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/148484/IMG_4128-3143693.jpg

Photo was taken last night, US Steel Gary works.
View Quote

Yeah, we had quite the Tuesday evening in northern IL and NW Indiana. 11-12 tornadoes.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 10:39:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember back when the sirens going off meant it was legit and you'd better pepper your Angus. Now it seems they're pretty quick on the trigger with the things. Of course, I'm one of those idiots that hears the siren and immediately walks outside to look.
View Quote

Felt the same way for years about warnings.  Back in 2019 I assume we were under a 'watch' at a minimum and a EF0 passed 1 mile away from the house.

2022 - was out on property doing some yard work and seen a watch turn in to a warning.  Turned on the local news and they are showing the radars in velocity mode talking like there could be rotation such and such.

I'm still not real concerned as they show the projected track of the cell with the cone of uncertainty heading over 2 miles north of my location.  Over the next 15 minutes this cone on the map starts to include my damn house.  I'm out back looking at the clouds and shit.  This is looking west off the deck/back yard, not exactly the best spotting situation in a wooded area.

No rain and just a small breeze from the south.  Clouds don't look too crazy from what little I see.  Went inside to look at map on the TV.  From what I am seeing this thing might be close.  Go back out on deck and look again.  Then I realize.... The treetops are hardly moving....  But it kinda sounds like a train.....

SHIT I run inside and to the garage and slap the button to close it and run towards the front door and.... go outside  trees are starting to move quite a bit but I am not seeing anything.  Ran to the back door and I am almost there and I watched a tarp I had on the opposite end of the house on some dirt go streaking across the back yard in a split second.  The deck furniture goes sliding across the deck and some random buckets and such I had out followed the direction of the tarp.  

I am watching leaves and sticks and suddenly what was like a mist flow from right to left horizontal to the ground across the back yard. Guessing it was the inflow. It certainly fits the Wild, definately will never forget that.  Adrenaline was flowing and I guess I was just interested in what was about to swallow me up instead of taking cover.  Luckily no damage.

My house was 600 ft from the EF1 that the NWS survey concluded was 200 yards wide.  This snapped me out of the 'oh it's just another watch or warning'.

The neighbors ring camera that was inside the 200 yard path.

The EF2 the other night was about 7 miles away.  The rain and thunder woke me.  Notification chime sounded on phone as I sat up and seen it was a warning.  Raised window in bedroom and heard the siren at the TWP fire department going off.  Sucks at night. There was almost constant lightning.  Anyway, 3 nearby tornados in just under 5 years

EDIT:  A tornado is absolutely fascinating.  I have always been intrigued by them.  Just knowing how I felt when it was getting real, and lets be honest it was no EF5, I can totally see how people storm chase.  I cannot even imagine being near a F3 to F5.  Once you witness the power in person of even a small one that took nearby neighbors weeks and months to get back to normal, and the landscape change....  A nicely wooded area became mangled with large branches and most the leaves were stripped and missing, almost 2 years later and you still notice how bare it feels compared to what you remember.  The videos you see online obviously do no justice to a truly big one.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top