BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 8:55:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By new_RRA_user:

You need to get out more, yourself, if you believe that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By new_RRA_user:
Originally Posted By UTex86:
> Refuses to use that gat dang email
> Mad the zoomer makes 50% more

You need to get out more, yourself, if you believe that.

Really rustled some jimmies with that lol.

We use email, including our Zoomers, because our customers use email as our primary means of communication.

Our business is heavy industrial. Tech adoption moves slow in that space. Slack isn’t a widespread thing in our business yet.

Hell we still have a few customers that send orders via fax (that gets forwarded to email).

Up until a few years ago we still had some old timers that absolutely refused to use email lol.

They’ve all been put out to pasture.

From the outside looking in that would sound like a dying industry. But it’s growing ever larger, billions upon billions of dollars spent every year.

We’re happy to accommodate with our (archaic if you’re a zoomer, newfangled bullshit if you’re a boomer) email communication techniques.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:

As the U.S. workforce grows older, the problems around ageism in the office are coming to a head. Elder millennials, Gen X, and boomer employees all say they're experiencing serious discrimination issues, and it's hurting their morale.

About 90% of U.S. workers aged 40 or older say they have experienced ageism in the workplace, according to a new report from Resume Now, a jobs platform. The most glaring example is compensation nearly half of these older workers report earning less than their younger colleagues, according to the study. And the same proportion of respondents, about 49%, say they make less money than Gen Z and younger millennial workers for doing the same job.

Older millennials, Gen Xers, and boomers say they're also being given fewer opportunities to progress in their roles, creating barriers in their career growth. About 22% of employees 40 years or older say their work environments skip over older colleagues for challenging assignments, according to the report. Nearly all survey participants said that ageism limits their access to professional development and training services, and around 16% of respondents say their employer engages in a pattern of passing over older workers for promotions in favor of younger counterparts who may have fewer qualifications.

Unsurprisingly, this ageism is impacting the way workers show up to their jobs. Discrimination bulldozes employee well-being: of workers aged 40 or older who have faced ageism, 45% say the bias made them feel isolated and lonely, 44% suffered from depression, and 36% experienced anxiety.

Unfortunately, ageism can be difficult to prove and police, putting up roadblocks for affected staffers to advocate for themselves. About 94% of survey participants who have faced age bias say they have reported the discrimination to their HR teams, but only 45% say that HR mediated the situation. Among workers who have faced ageism, about 37% of those who reported the situation say the ageist coworker was given a warning, 30% said they got a slap on the wrist but weren't fired, 23% say the person was terminated, and 5% said administration took no action.

There's no doubt that the workforce is getting older. And as long as ageism persists, HR leaders must work to help companies dismantle their bias, create more equitable career advancement opportunities, and recognize that America's aging workforce should be respected for their contributions.

View Quote
moar
View Quote

Well,
I went to Walmart today. First time in a while and not my usual store, this was next to Sam's which was my other destination. (got out of there under seven bills, I did YAY!!! LOL)
First time in a while I went to a real checkout instead of the self's. Because the self's were clogged with a bunch of dumb looking geezer customers and the checkout lines, all three of'em were available. Staffed by geezers older than me. Was a breeze. Know what? The checker checker outer lady checking receipts at the door? Also a geezer. Got over to Sam's....check staff mostly geezers. Stockers and such, even the guy following the robot floor machine (probably to rescue any geezer customers it runs over) they were ALL geezers.

And ya know what? Middle of the day, most of the customers were geezers.
Including ME. LOL
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#3]
We hire more people in their late 30s and early 40s than any other demographic. A few men and women are in their 50s.

Gotta work
Gotta be willing to learn
Gotta be able to leverage what they know and share their knowledge

No time for deadbeats - period. Regardless of age.

Our customers can smell a chatgpt response a mile away.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:42:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The beat goes on.

My last company just laid off the next oldest guy in the area.  He's 59.  The 50 year olds should be getting nervous pretty soon.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:43:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GDaawg] [#5]
Originally Posted By TontoGoldstein:
A couple of decades ago the axiom was that any white man over 50 making more than 50K had a target on his back.  If he lost his job, he was fucked.

Called the 50-50 rule.
View Quote

Lost mine at 47. Was making around 55k. Couldn't find anyone that would hire me for IT work at my age (desktop/server support).

Now I drive a forklift for Frito-Lay. Under 50k salary atm so hopefully the 50-50 rule no longer applies !
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:47:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By The_Master_Shake:
Elder Millennial here, ageism isn't an issue for me but I've kept up with technology.

I'm known around the office as the guy who can open an attachment, and I also know how to use what the younger generation call a "short cut"

Just a little trick for you older millennials, if you hold down the C-tarl button and the C button (the trick is to do this at the same time) you can avoid having to use the mouse to copy other people's work.
View Quote

so much truth in this post.  Holy fuck there are a lot of E-tards that can't do basic computer shit of 20 years ago.  Sadly for them, the work is still on a PC, not an iphone or instagram
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:48:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kobolowsky_Tires:
Because the self's were clogged with a bunch of dumb looking geezer customers and the checkout lines, all three of'em were available. Staffed by geezers older than me.
View Quote

Off topic, but we have experienced reverse racism at Costco self checkout a couple of times.  The black employees there hand wand other black shoppers in a minute and they are gone, while we are calling for help for the age verification on wine and they literally turn their backs to us and refuse to help.  Got the manager to come over to approve the sale and he did nothing about the poor service.  It was actually pretty funny.

We only use the line check out now unless we see one of the super efficient Asians working self checkout.

What a screwed up country we have become.
Link Posted: 10/16/2024 10:54:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Our business is heavy industrial. Tech adoption moves slow in that space. Slack isn’t a widespread thing in our business yet.

Hell we still have a few customers that send orders via fax (that gets forwarded to email).

Up until a few years ago we still had some old timers that absolutely refused to use email lol.

From the outside looking in that would sound like a dying industry. But it’s growing ever larger, billions upon billions of dollars spent every year.

View Quote

US manufacturing employment has steadily gone down.

US manufacturing as a percentage of GDP has steadily gone down.

US manufacturing output has steadily gone UP, as we produce more with less.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:36:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
In my field, the most respected are 40+. It takes time to get the required experience.

This. And it’s going to become very apparent if the recession materializes as some project.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By exponentialpi:
In my field, the most respected are 40+. It takes time to get the required experience.

Originally Posted By Jacon:
Youngsters are being promoted too quickly and have 7-10yrs less knowledge and experience. It shows.

This. And it’s going to become very apparent if the recession materializes as some project.

When do they age out?

In general,

In mine the top players are typically 45-55,
And have pretty much identified the 30-35 year olds that are going to also progress to beast mode,
And to some degree even the 25 year olds
That are 5 to 10 years out from that.

For the top players-
55-65 is typically a graceful emeritus respected status if you’ve still got it as you ramp down.
For the non top players it’s not graceful.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:39:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Ageism is real, and it will happen to you at some point.

I saw a department get gutted by 50%, and it was only the older people with gray hair that got let go.  This was a huge multi-national company…. They justified it by saying those were the most expensive (ie experienced) employees.
View Quote

Boeing?
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:09:02 AM EDT
[#11]
I just recently received a promotion after working towards one for a little over a year.  I’m an elder millennial.

In that time I’ve watched 3 dudes between 4 and 10 years younger than me be promoted 1-3 times. One was promoted into management with roughly 6 years of work experience.  

It seems a lot of it has to do with leaving the experienced guys in the trenches because we have the experience and are self motivated enough to make things happen.  

Link Posted: Yesterday 10:02:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I have been successful in my industry for 40 years now. Always advancing, always getting paid more. AND, always adding value to myself. I'm out in a few months and am proud of my work.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:14:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Really rustled some jimmies with that lol.

We use email, including our Zoomers, because our customers use email as our primary means of communication.

We’re happy to accommodate with our (archaic if you’re a zoomer, newfangled bullshit if you’re a boomer) email communication techniques.
View Quote

I've been working at the cracker factory for 30 years and none of these Zoomers could wipe their ass without me.

Too busy showing up at 8:30 AM and then spending all day emailing on their mobile computers. America is doomed with this lot
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:25:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#14]
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:48:15 PM EDT
[#15]
So the Zoomers aren't being hired because they're lousy lazy workers. And the 60+ crowd are being ejected due to ageism.  Now the 40-50 year olds are complaining about ageism. So does that mean its just like, what, 30 year-olds running the show getting rid of everyone older and younger than them?  Im just confused as to "who" is left, and what age bracket the people hiring/firing are in that aren't in a discriminated age group?

Link Posted: Yesterday 2:51:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By bullsi191145:
Ageism is real, and it will happen to you at some point.

I saw a department get gutted by 50%, and it was only the older people with gray hair that got let go.  This was a huge multi-national company…. They justified it by saying those were the most expensive (ie experienced) employees.
View Quote

Link Posted: Yesterday 2:55:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm in a dying industry where there are few people coming in with any skills, and the experience folks are all over 40. There's no ageism here....I am making money by being scarce, and necessary, and there's the available skilled pool is tiny and getting smaller.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By swingset:
I'm in a dying industry where there are few people coming in with any skills, and the experience folks are all over 40. There's no ageism here....I am making money by being scarce, and necessary, and there's the available skilled pool is tiny and getting smaller.
View Quote

Wow, welcome back.  Now where's @sirensong ?  (I had the toughest time confusing those screen names.  No idea why.)

I too, am trying to remain necessary.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

And my point is the fixation on e-mail as opposed to the plethora of modern comms and collaboration tools a given office has is a negative stereotype of old people. It's just a tool in a large toolbox, but a certain cliche, say, 45-65 year old uses it for things where it is far less than ideal and refuses to learn how to use anything else.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ajek:
One of my 25 year old employees recently showed me the email icon on his phone…he has over 52k unread emails. He said he doesn’t use email “unless it’s really important.”

Not sure what point you're trying to make here.

But, that is a current old guy stereotype - e-mailing every little thing when Skype, Teams, or posting in a chat tool will do the job better. E-mail is best for documenting and sending files outside of your organization.

And we all get hundreds of e-mails a day that are best ignored. "You're all invited to the corporate seminar on tooth brushing." OK. Whatever.

The "not use e-mail" stereotype generation retired a decade or more ago.

Guys in their 60s now were in their 30s when e-mail took over the workplace.

Whether they realize there is more to technology and workplace collaboration than e-mail? Whether they care to learn it? That's a different story.

I guess that’s my point: there are a (growing?) number of young people who don’t use email.

If it’s not Snapchat or TikTok, they don’t care.

And my point is the fixation on e-mail as opposed to the plethora of modern comms and collaboration tools a given office has is a negative stereotype of old people. It's just a tool in a large toolbox, but a certain cliche, say, 45-65 year old uses it for things where it is far less than ideal and refuses to learn how to use anything else.

Pardon me, I misunderstood your post.

A better response: it's not practical to give every entry level employee access to the company's Teams or another chat program when they have no reason for it outside of very, very infrequent (but important) communication. It isn't used for "every little thing."
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#20]

A better response: it's not practical to give every entry level employee access to the company's Teams or another chat program when they have no reason for it outside of very, very infrequent (but important) communication. It isn't used for "every little thing."
View Quote

If you have access to MS Office, you’re going to have access to Teams. My company just went to MS 365 a bit more than a year ago. We tend towards older employees. Some people had never used it before. I had used it at previous jobs so it wasn’t anything new. We use it for virtual meeting most. Some people never sign onto it otherwise. Some coworkers use email for very quick things that would be better suited to Teams, but eh, whatever.
Link Posted: Yesterday 10:48:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Marie:

If you have access to MS Office, you’re going to have access to Teams. My company just went to MS 365 a bit more than a year ago. We tend towards older employees. Some people had never used it before. I had used it at previous jobs so it wasn’t anything new. We use it for virtual meeting most. Some people never sign onto it otherwise. Some coworkers use email for very quick things that would be better suited to Teams, but eh, whatever.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Marie:

I'm 60+ to add credence this post. TEAMS rocks for communication. Better than email. We can connect now (via chat) or schedule a time. Great tool! Add value to yourself.
Link Posted: Today 12:09:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: styles] [#22]
. It isn't used for "every little thing."
View Quote

Yes; it is.
Link Posted: Today 12:14:18 AM EDT
[#23]
In my experience 90% of millennials are not worth a shit in the work place
Link Posted: Today 12:54:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Wineraner:

Wow, welcome back.  Now where's @sirensong ?  (I had the toughest time confusing those screen names.  No idea why.)

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wineraner:
Originally Posted By swingset:

i'm still around, though somewhat less these days.

amusingly, i've confused swingset's username with mine also.
Link Posted: Today 1:08:48 AM EDT
[#25]
Someone has to man those Ham shacks and talk about their gout flare-ups.
Link Posted: Today 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
Wow that's brutal...almost...human-like...
Link Posted: Today 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By RogueSpear2023:
In my experience 90% of millennials are not worth a shit in the work place
View Quote

Millennials are the guys that deployed 4-6 months a year in SOF for a decade.

And came of age giving medical care in peak COVID times.

Boomers are the guys that dodged the draft to get out of war and retired early because they were a scared of COVID or demanded shutting down the country/economy.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top