Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 9:31:16 AM EDT
I've been contributing to a 401k since I was 18 through the companies I worked for.
I'm now working for a small company that doesn't offer 401k itself (but does pay additional comp towards a private one).

I have a Principal 401k I have to get out of from my previous employer and they're offering to roll my 401k into a personal IRA.  Should I do this?  I really like the VIGIX fund offered through Principal.
Are there other options I should be looking at?  Cash it out and find out what blow is?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you heard about MVIS OP?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What are the fees and costs of your ex-employer's plan?

Are you familiar with the different legal protections offered to IRA's vs 401k's?

Have you talked to a financial planner (flat fee based fiduciary)?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:41:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kilroytheknifesnob] [#3]
No need to be fancy. Simply open an IRA account with Schwab, Fidelity, or your favorite financial institution and roll the 401k into it.

ETA stay away from 87% of financial advisers and insurance salespeople. There is absolutely nothing complicated about your situation. They’ll make it complicated though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:42:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Only thing I have to offer is if  you roll the 401k into a personal IRA it will affect your ability to do back door Roth IRA conversions later.

I personally left a 401k at the larger company since the International Funds they offered were better than what was offered at my new company.

Bogleheads.org is a good start, they have a nice wiki that talks about a lot of these topics.

One of the few times that First Post Did Not Nail It (FPDNNI).
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Macchina:
I've been contributing to a 401k since I was 18 through the companies I worked for.
I'm now working for a small company that doesn't offer 401k itself (but does pay additional comp towards a private one).

I have a Principal 401k I have to get out of from my previous employer and they're offering to roll my 401k into a personal IRA.  Should I do this?  I really like the VIGIX fund offered through Principal.
Are there other options I should be looking at?  Cash it out and find out what blow is?
View Quote

Roll it into an IRA, I prefer Vanguard.

Do NOT cash it out. You are at an advantage by starting young, you don't want to blow your chance to be ahead of the game.

BTW a private 401k is just an IRA.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:44:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Assuming it's all pretax there's few downsides to rolling it I to an IRA.

An Ira opens your investment options up tremendously.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Roll it over into a personal IRA. Always.  

You have way more investment options and fewer restrictions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Rollover IRA with Fidelity, Schwab, etc.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:44:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macros73:

Are you familiar with the different legal protections offered to IRA's vs 401k's?

View Quote

No running fees on my previous employers 401k, the fund I'm in has a TEIG of 0.04%

Somewhat familiar with the protection difference.  From what I understand my rollover will be protected under ERISA but I do not believe any of my future funds will be protected.  I don't have the option of an employer-sponsored plan anymore so any advice on getting into a ERISA IRA would be awesome!

I have read on the internet a lot and posting here probably gives the same/better advice as a real financial planner! (JK, you bring up a really good point...)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:46:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Do NOT cash it out. You are at an advantage by starting young, you don't want to blow your chance to be ahead of the game.

View Quote

I got an email from vanguard yesterday.   They are phasing out the small personal IRAs and transferring those accounts to Ascensus.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By CanaryCamaro:
View Quote

God did y’all get sucked into that shit fest as well. I followed that fail train straight into the tunnel of hell in Wallstreetbets.

Never gone down so hard on a trade in my life.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#13]
I had a "Simple IRA" whatever the hell that means, at fidelity from my last job. I googled 3 fund portfolio after reading about it here, made some changes, and now it has over doubled in value.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Roll it into a self directed ira with vanguard. Takes 5 minutes
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:48:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:
Assuming it's all pretax there's few downsides to rolling it I to an IRA.

An Ira opens your investment options up tremendously.
View Quote

I'm currently 82% ROTH and 18% pre-tax in my 401k.  I've almost only contributed ROTH, but there's employer matches and a bunch of other stuff in there pre-tax.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:49:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slowr1der] [#16]
Originally Posted By Kilroytheknifesnob:
No need to be fancy. Simply open an IRA account with Schwab, Fidelity, or your favorite financial institution and roll the 401k into it.

ETA stay away from 87% of financial advisers and insurance salespeople. There is absolutely nothing complicated about your situation. They’ll make it complicated though.
View Quote

This.

As long as you aren't doing backdoor Roth contributions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:49:16 AM EDT
[#17]

I'm currently 82% ROTH and 18% pre-tax in my 401k.  I've almost only contributed ROTH, but there's employer matches and a bunch of other stuff in there pre-tax.
View Quote

Any non deductible contributions?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:54:18 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Notcalifornialegal:

Any non deductible contributions?
View Quote

TBH, I don't know what those are.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#19]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:59:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4thbreak] [#20]

ETA stay away from 87% of financial advisers and insurance salespeople. There is absolutely nothing complicated about your situation. They'll make it complicated though.
View Quote
This. Roll it out of principal as soon as possible as you're likely getting screwed on management fees, even if the fund fees are low. Invest it in the same fund in your own rollover account at Vanguard or Fidelity (ask them how to do a rollover from Principal). VIGIX is a Vanguard fund, so just use them (Principal was just a middle man). Then just set up a tIRA or Roth IRA at your new financial institution since your current company doesn't have a 401k.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:08:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: macros73] [#21]

No running fees on my previous employers 401k, the fund I'm in has a TEIG of 0.04%

Somewhat familiar with the protection difference.  From what I understand my rollover will be protected under ERISA but I do not believe any of my future funds will be protected.  I don't have the option of an employer-sponsored plan anymore so any advice on getting into a ERISA IRA would be awesome!

I have read on the internet a lot and posting here probably gives the same/better advice as a real financial planner! (JK, you bring up a really good point...)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yeah, it's just your ability to retire and everyone is going to want a piece.   Get some expert advice but make sure they're a fiduciary and that you aren't getting into any "assets under management" style deals. I believe a certified financial planner is a thing but do your research. https://www.capitalone.com/learn-grow/money-management/what-is-a-cfp/

I run my IRA and Roth IRA through Fidelity and haven't had any issues. If you want to roll it all over, try to make sure it's direct to the IRA and that you aren't being handed a check. That way lies potential tax complications and suffering.

Review your personal risk and whether you should be carrying any additional insurance to protect your retirement assets (among other stuff).
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#22]
IRA's have more investment options and don't require mandatory 20% tax withholding.  Fees can be slightly higher, like 0.2-0.4% more.

Roll it over, cut ties with previous employer fully.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

I got an email from vanguard yesterday.   They are phasing out the small personal IRAs and transferring those accounts to Ascensus.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By djkest:

It sounds like they are getting rid of small company plans not individual IRAs?
https://www.napa-net.org/news-info/daily-news/breaking-vanguard-exit-individual-401k-business-ascensus-deal

I have a Vanguard IRA and have not heard anything about it going away.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:24:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Cash it out and buy night vision, thermal, ammo, and more guns.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Believe it or not, as old as I am my Fidelity account gets investment emails and I've gotten some good advice from the rep that I've actually used and made some extra cash with. Not all of what they offer interests me, but it's been worthwhile to have the account.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:50:53 AM EDT
[#26]

TBH, I don't know what those are.
View Quote

Then you're probably good to go. If you do roll it over talk with an advisor.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:23:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Third Post Nailed It (TPNI)
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:38:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Do not roll it  over into an ira until you decide whether to convert any ira to Roth.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By MHowski:

https://www.napa-net.org/news-info/daily-news/breaking-vanguard-exit-individual-401k-business-ascensus-deal

View All Quotes

Mine is a vanguard simple IRA.  It was started as a 401k.  My employer changed over to a different provider for 401k, and all our 401ks at vanguard got turned into vanguard simple IRAs.  It has just been a boring IRA since then.  I go in and can buy and sell things within the IRA.

This is part of what their email said yesterday.
After thoughtful consideration, Vanguard has reached an agreement to transition SIMPLE IRA, multi-participant SEP-IRA, and Individual 401(k) products to Ascensus, a leading provider of tax-advantaged savings and retirement account solutions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Right before I left Charter, they were merging with Time Warner and Bright House. As Charter,  They killed or froze our 401k and any input to it. We had Fidelity as our 401k administrator or brokerage. They then created an IRA for each 401k contribute and whatever would have normally went into your 401k, went into the IRA.  No Idea why they did it that way.

After I left (for reasons I won't get into) I had to cash out my 401k.  I still have my IRA there and I only had like 2k in it at the time I left.  A few weeks ago, I decided to peek at it and I still had the 2K in some cash fund, that was still holding at 2k, it went up and down about a 500 bucks or so each time I got a statement on it.  It never really lost anything or gained much to it, just hovered between 2k and 2.5k....

I figured what the heck and moved it into some dividend paying stocks and now is earning i dunno maybe 100 a month or so.  Nothing huge, but its earning.  Once I get some high interest debts and medical bill paid off, I want to start contributing to it again.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

That's what I did about 8 years ago. Good performance. No ragerts.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Are you sure you HAVE to do something with it?

I had a previous employer tell me I had to do something with my 401K (which had done quote well). I said, 'so you're telling me I MUST take it out? What if I do nothing?'

She sheepishly admitted that 'nothing' was under the 'something' umbrella.

So there it sits. I can't add to it, but it's doing well enough.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:45:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Mine is a vanguard simple IRA.  It was started as a 401k.  My employer changed over to a different provider for 401k, and all our 401ks at vanguard got turned into vanguard simple IRAs.  It has just been a boring IRA since then.  I go in and can buy and sell things within the IRA.

View All Quotes

After thoughtful consideration, Vanguard has reached an agreement to transition SIMPLE IRA, multi-participant SEP-IRA, and Individual 401(k) products to Ascensus, a leading provider of tax-advantaged savings and retirement account solutions.

Traditional IRAs are set up by individuals, while SIMPLE IRAs are set up by small business owners for employees and themselves. Traditional IRA contributions are made by the individual only, but SIMPLE IRA contributions can be from both an employee and an employer.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 4:46:39 PM EDT
[#34]
You have given such little information I have no idea how anyone could give you any intelligent advice.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:42:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By jos51700:
Are you sure you HAVE to do something with it?

I had a previous employer tell me I had to do something with my 401K (which had done quote well). I said, 'so you're telling me I MUST take it out? What if I do nothing?'

She sheepishly admitted that 'nothing' was under the 'something' umbrella.

So there it sits. I can't add to it, but it's doing well enough.
View Quote

This us an option.  I still have money in an old employers fund in addition to my current employer fund
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:43:49 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote

I'm about to open an IRA with Edward Jones to put my 401k in
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:14:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Any of the big brokerages offer a Rollover IRA - Fidelity, Vanguard, etc.  Do a direct rollover, DO NOT take posession of it or you will be taxed and penalized out the hoohah.  It's an easy process.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:03:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HammerHammer] [#38]
Rollover IRA, pick a blended mutual fund (or several) that meets your risk/earnings expectations and has a low management fee. You can honestly do a lot better with an IRA anyway since you can pick better investments than the handful offered in most 401K plans.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:06:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Open a brokerage account with one of the big banks. Then also open an IRA rollover, then they will transfer the money via a check or something else.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MrZeat] [#40]

View Quote

Yep, in most cases I'd suggest rolling over to an IRA to gain freedom of investment choices, but it's not the right answer for everyone, particularly if you're concerned with legal implications in bankruptcy situations or are trying to do a backdoor Roth without pro rata concerns.

Push new employer to do SEP or a 401k for employees. Without a work sponsored plan you're at a disadvantage for eligible contributions.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:33:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Give it to Vanguard so they can invest in politically correct companies.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:35:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:
Any of the big brokerages offer a Rollover IRA - Fidelity, Vanguard, etc.  Do a direct rollover, DO NOT take posession of it or you will be taxed and penalized out the hoohah.  It's an easy process.
View Quote

Also if your 401k is already at one of the big brokerages like Fidelity, it's usually easier to rollover there and then once it's in an IRA do an ACATS transfer between IRAs at any other brokerage if you plan to move to someone else. Not required but can speed things up that way.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:43:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm petrified of dealing with this in the future. It was kind drilled into my head, set it up and walk away. Don't  finger fuck your account every other day. I've been employed at more than a few places since joining the workforce. I've never accessed any of my accounts. I'm afraid that I'll have money that I've earned,  but I am locked out because I can't  remember a password,  account number or special phrase.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:45:16 AM EDT
[#44]
I have a Principal 401k I have to get out of from my previous employer and they're offering to roll my 401k into a personal IRA.  Should I do this?
View Quote
This will probably be your easiest option.  Their fees may not be the lowest.  If you find a better deal in a future year, you could do another rollover.

Note that if you contribute additional funds to this rollover IRA, you will probably not be able to roll it over into a future employer's 401K.  You probably wouldn't want to do that anyway, but some people do.  Future IRA contributions should go into a new IRA that starts from zero.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:40:56 AM EDT
[#45]
There’s few reason to not roll over to IRA. Very few. Rule of 55 is one, don’t think that applies for what you’re doing/age.

The only other one is if you have some killer fund in your 401k that is closed to new investors. Meaning you couldn’t invest in it in your Ira.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 12:47:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tengo1] [#46]
Originally Posted By cyclone:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cyclone:

Hard pass. Schwab or Fidelity. Vanguard isn’t bad but only want you to use Vanguard funds. Fidelity and Schwab will let you buy anybody's funds including Vanguards. You will have a 90% reduction rate in fees vs Ed Jones. I don’t know how they are still in business with the fees they charge.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:00:14 AM EDT
[#47]

View Quote
Just do a rollover into a Traditional IRA, and then at some point, consider converting some or all of your holdings into a Roth IRA.

You'll pay tax on the conversion, but growth from that point forward becomes tax free.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:05:48 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote
Especially any that say to abandon any current plan and buy their managed funds. And especially fuck your tax preparer if he's the one selling them to you.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:15:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDalton] [#49]
The backdoor roth issue could be an issue for you at some time, but never was for me. I did rollovers to IRA's with my 401k when I was in your position.

To do it, you can go to Fidelity or Vanguard online (I have Vanguard which works fine for me, but would probably choose Fidelity if I was doing it today) and fill out the application to start an IRA (select rollover). You want your new brokerage house (Fidelity or Vanguard) to do the work "pull" your 401k into the IRA, instead of having your current 401k initiate the "push" to the rollover IRA.

In other words, when I did it 20+ years ago, I created the account online, then I called Vanguard help line and told the rep I needed their help transferring my 401k to my new rollover IRA, and while I was online the Vanguard rep called Merrill Lynch (or whoever the 401k was with) and got the whole thing done while I was on the phone (so I could verbally authorize everything). I think they had to send me a form to fill out or sign for a Simple IRA from another company I had worked for), but the rep talked me through the whole thing and did most of the work. Then it was done. My understanding from various forums is that the process still functions this way for the most part...maybe they do it digitally instead of you having to be on the call.

As others said, go read the Bogleheads forum to learn about low cost mutual fund investing and 2- or 3-fund investing.

eta: and since I worked for a company without 401k, I continued with annual contributions to that same rollover IRA (which somebody upthread said to give you a problem if you ever want to move the rolled over money from that 401k into a future company's 401k...I don't know if that is true, I kinda don't think so as long as it's all pretax, but something to consider)
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:34:45 AM EDT
[#50]

ETA stay away from 87% of financial advisers and insurance salespeople. There is absolutely nothing complicated about your situation. They'll make it complicated though.
View Quote
^ this.  Roll (transfer) it into an IRA.  It's about as simple as transferring a savings account.  
Don't let anyone sell you any services.  

Vanguard's money market is currently paying 5.4%.  
https://investor.vanguard.com/investment-products/mutual-funds/profile/vmfxx
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top