Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 4/26/2024 5:12:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sir_Sparhawk]
Waverly hit hard. Waterloo hit hard. Buildings destroyed with people trapped. I saw national guard helo's flying over my house. Emergency personnel racing to effected towns. My family had to shelter under the stairs in the basement. Many tornadoes ongoing.
There's a mile wide toranado on the ground now. It hit warloo hard and destroyed a residential neighborhood. Waverly was hit hard. Buildings were collapsed with people trapped. A train was derailed.

Kindly sound off if you're a member in Nebraska or Iowa. Let us know you're ok.

Central Time
1610: Tornados down in Kansas now too.
1622: Mile wide catastrophic tornado crossed into Iowa.
1626: No deaths in Waverly. Three minor injuries among 70 people rescued from collapsed building.
1630: Tornados in Texas.
1637: Tornados keep forming and reforming in an area west and south-west of Omaha. Omaha getting hit too.
1638: Elkhorn is severely damaged. Town had been evacuated, per Law Enforcement. Homes destroyed.
1644: Significant tornado damage on a south to north path to the west of Omaha.
1648: Mass casualty event declared in suburbs of Omaha. Emergency services request all available aid.
1654: Just talked to my brother who is doing a job at the hospital right now. Lots of people being life flight-ed into the hospital from all over.
1700: Massive tornado near Glenwood with enough debris in it to show up on radar.
1702: Large tornado going through Omaha right now. Power flashes taking out power infrastructure.
1706: Most violent kind of tornado on the ground in or near Crescent Iowa.
1725: Subdivision in Elkhorn heavily hit. Homes destroyed, completely leveled. Elementary school possible severely damaged.
1726: Most severe type of life threatening tornado heading for Pigeon Iowa.
1729: Tornados touching down in Missouri.
1740: Many towns in eastern Nebraska reporting massive damage and many casualties.
1742: 56 tornado warnings reported so far. Most from one massive tornado appearing and disappearing.
1745: Highest alert level from NWS issued Killer mile wide tornado in Mindin Iowa.
1756: Red Cross and other emergency organizations are staging in Elkhorn NE.
1801: Tennant Iowa just hit by large tornado.
1814: Potential dangerous tornado near Skidmore Missouri.
1843: Massive tornado still on the ground in Iowa.
1910: 8 active tornado warnings in Iowa.

Live Severe Weather Map

??LIVE - Severe Weather Coverage With Storm Chasers On The Ground - Live Weather Channel...

?? BREAKING TORNADO EMERGENCY RIGHT NOW - VIOLENT TORNADO - With Live Storm Chaser

Enhanced Risk Tornado Chase w Nelk Boys

LIVE - Tracking Tornado Outbreak In Nebraska & Iowa
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Ryan hall said he's never seen a signature on the radar like this one

I've got friends in Omaha, I haven't heard from them yet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Tornado passed a mile west of me (SW Boone County). Lots of wind and hail, but no damage to my place. Neighbors weren't so lucky.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:17:10 PM EDT
[#3]
My brothers best friends dad lives in Waverly. They got hit hard. My brother said his friend got his dad out and they're fine.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Chasers are reporting HIGH Ef4 maybe EF5
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:18:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Prayers for all of them. I wonder if we get to look forward to that over here in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:18:18 PM EDT
[#6]
We have some on the ground in SE KS now too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:18:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rebel31] [#7]
It's right next to a large chemical plant and nuke power plant right now.

This is a BAD one. Hope the people damage is minimal
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Sirens going off like crazy, weather alerts to my phone, and I can't find a single weather app/site that will actually show me a radar and let me know what's going on and if I need to relocate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:19:24 PM EDT
[#9]
My son is monitoring and said it may have just hit a nuclear power plant.  If not, it's extremely close.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mancow:
We have some on the ground in SE KS now too.
View Quote

Praying for you guys down there too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s over here snowing in the Colorado Rockies right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:20:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
Sirens going off like crazy, weather alerts to my phone, and I can't find a single weather app/site that will actually show me a radar and let me know what's going on and if I need to relocate.
View Quote

@2ANut First link in my OP post. Plus there's a youtube channel on there showing everything live.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By redleg13a:
My son is monitoring and said it may have just hit a nuclear power plant.  If not, it's extremely close.
View Quote

I didn't prep for nuclear tornado.  Wtf do we do for nuclear tornado?
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Just texted my friends in the area. Hope they’re ok.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:22:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Sir_Sparhawk:

@2ANut First link in my OP post. Plus there's a youtube channel on there showing everything live.
View Quote

Thanks. This is way better than everyone else who's just spamming me with ads, won't let me search by ZIP code, and begs me to buy their app instead of using the website.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Hope people stay safe.

Climate change will be blamed before the hour is up.  But I am guessing that EF4 and EF5's have hit the Midwest before?

I do not live there but I am guessing they have happened in the past.  Now more $$$ damage may occur due to inflation and growth in the area.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:26:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Yeah....that's headed right for our farm by the look of it.....just great.

Stay safe in NE and IA, guys!  Let us know you are okay.

Anyone from around Sioux City, let me know how the weather is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:29:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CastleBravo91] [#19]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
Hope people stay safe.

Climate change will be blamed before the hour is up.  But I am guessing that EF4 and EF5's have hit the Midwest before?

I do not live there but I am guessing they have happened in the past.  Now more $$$ damage may occur due to inflation and growth in the area.
View Quote

You know they will. Yes, we've had tornadoes of those magnitudes before. Shit, the tri-state tornado happened in the 50's I believe March 1925. (though I might be mistaken).

Weird, I was just lamenting this to myself earlier today.

ETA: edited for historical accuracy thanks to poster below.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jff620V8QUQ
View Quote

Fuck, I hate Miranda Lambert
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:30:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't miss that shit at all.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:31:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Having dodged EF-3/EF-4  tornadoes in W. TN for three decades, stay safe guys.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:32:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Seward here, all clear now. Storm just missed us
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:32:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Stay safe bros
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:33:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By regular_guy01:
Seward here, all clear now. Storm just missed us
View Quote

That's good to hear.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:33:23 PM EDT
[#26]
That is not good!! Hopefully everyone is ok!!
I am in Nebraska but in South Central part of the state.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Lawmonkey:
I don't miss that shit at all.
View Quote
Me neither.  My first memory is not at all dissimilar to the first five minutes of the movie twister....(well, no one got sucked out the cellar)....it was 72 or 73, IIRC.  I remember coming up out of the cellar and it was just utter devastation.  Trees, cars...roofs....EVERYWHERE.

THIS is why I live in Arizona.  Well, that and fear of giant squid.

Odd.  For all of the tornadoes that I went through in the Midwest and down South.  I have only ever laid eyes on ONE tornado.  IN ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:36:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Max Velocity has been having live storm chaser footage.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Just told my Fema friend.
She is putting in an application to go there.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

You know they will. Yes, we've had tornadoes of those magnitudes before. Shit, the tri-state tornado happened in the 50's I believe (though I might be mistaken).

Weird, I was just lamenting this to myself earlier today.
View Quote

March of 1925.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Kubota3430:
Hope people stay safe.

View Quote

EF-4s and 5s make up roughly 2% of tornado occurrences I believe.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:42:13 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ildeerhunter23:
Max Velocity has been having live storm chaser footage.
View Quote

Youtube channel linked in OP.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Yeah....that's headed right for our farm by the look of it.....just great.

Stay safe in NE and IA, guys!  Let us know you are okay.

Anyone from around Sioux City, let me know how the weather is.
View Quote

Fairly calm in Sioux City from a friend of mine a few minutes ago but there is a cell headed their way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Attachment Attached File

4:42pm CST
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:42:59 PM EDT
[#35]
in the belly of the jail in downtown Omaha, watching the weather when it was in Gretna and someone grabbed some awesome phone footage of multiple vortexes forming and dispersing over the course of a few minutes in a huge black cloud

I think it went around the metro area from what I see on the news
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:43:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Even with the poor resolution of the app I'm using, this hook is obvious.
Attachment Attached File

I wonder if the town of Blair is even there anymore.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:43:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheAvatar9265ft] [#37]
Originally Posted By Sarge1400:
Tornado passed a mile west of me (SW Boone County). Lots of wind and hail, but no damage to my place. Neighbors weren't so lucky.
View Quote

Crap I gotta call my family
Glad you are OK

ETA they went into the cellar but alls OK, same for the fam in Saunders, ... and Omaha but they haven't been able to check on the house

Both tornadoes I went through were in NE. One in Boone and one in Wheeler.

Hoping for minimal casualties and damage...
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Pretty strong set up happening.  Looks like an interesting evening.  I was really close this year already.  I also hope the hail stays away.  So tired of hail.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 2ANut:
View Quote

Zoom out and then into your location.

https://krdo.com/weather/live-hd-doppler/
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:45:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
Even with the poor resolution of the app I'm using, this hook is obvious.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/145837/Screenshot_2024-04-26-16-39-20_2_png-3198668.JPG

I wonder if the town of Blair is even there anymore.
View Quote

News isn't showing any significant damage there yet.  Some from Lincoln and a bit in western Omaha.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:46:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Woodbury, Manona, Ida and Crawford, Shelby and Harrison Counties in Iowa look like they got squeaked pretty good.

Anyone from around there?  
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Co-worker of daughter lives in Elkhorn, she lost her home according to daughter in law. Sounds like that neighborhood  got hit hard.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:47:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Looks like a bad one

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#45]
I hate tornadoes. I HATE THEM! They are the one natural disaster that I truly fear.

Hurricane? Earthquake? Wildfire? No, no, and no. But a tornado is my one natural disaster fear. And for some reason, around here, they usually come at night. We've had 2 or 3 that I can remember that happened in the daytime. But the majority that I remember have all been at night. Which makes it that much worse. You can't really see it. You really don't know exactly where it is. But you know it's there...somewhere. And it scares the fucking bejeezus out of me.

We've been extremely lucky in that we've never been hit directly by one. I've seen 2 go directly over my house, but they never touched the ground. I've heard a couple of them that were big as hell and within a mile. But we never got hit. I've known people who lost family members (one guy lost his wife and kids). I've seen the destruction up close and personal. An F2 or F3 is bad enough. And an F4 is even worse. But to see what an F5 can do is beyond imagine. The guy was right in the movie Twister when he said it was like the finger of God.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:51:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:

Fairly calm in Sioux City from a friend of mine a few minutes ago but there is a cell headed their way.
View Quote
Yeah, there were two cells one to the right and one to the left of the farm..... it looks like it blew up and then blew out.

Dad's calling family from further out of our area to check on them.

Shit, NE Iowa and southern central MN got a good bit, too along with east NE.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:52:54 PM EDT
[#47]
You guys can use this site to check out live Doppler radar and live lightning: https://www.iweathernet.com/lightning/latest-lightning-strikes-on-google-maps?

Live lightning only, it also shows the thunder spreading out from the strikes, very cool:  https://www.lightningmaps.org/#m=oss;t=3;s=0;o=0;b=;ts=0;z=10;y=41.2917;x=-96.0734;d=2;dl=2;dc=0;

Live winds, zoom in and out and play with the menus:  https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-95.77,40.71,1997
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:53:40 PM EDT
[#48]
In the damage path...

??? STORM CHASER: Ride along in search for tornadoes in Iowa!
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:54:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top