Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/1/2024 9:15:14 PM EDT
Have a decent 9mm and .30cal can, but my .22lr can was made over 20 years back (Outback II).  Has technology improved enough in that time to warrant consideration of a new .22lr can?  They all come apart for cleaning nowadays which would be great since this thing fucking sucks to clean!!! But are they any quieter?  This is already close to bolt clacking quiet.  

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes it is

But a Mask, Switchback, or an Oculus
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:16:59 PM EDT
[#2]
A dirty can is a quiet can, I wouldn't buy a new one just because but at the same time I own 2 cans for each caliber that I shoot so what do I know
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Tagged since my 22 can is old
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:19:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Any good channels with DB reports at the muzzle and ear?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:20:16 PM EDT
[#5]
My only 22 can is an Outback ii as well. Also looking at an oculus, but haven't yet made it happen. As short as the wait times are right now, I'd go for it.  Better to have than not
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Rugged Mustang is the way to go. Great sounding, very lightweight. I dont bother with my Mask any more
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:23:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Pick up one with titanium baffles, cleaning is easier when you let an ultrasonic do most of the work.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
Rugged Mustang is the way to go. Great sounding, very lightweight. I dont bother with my Mask any more
View Quote

Hearing safe indoors in short configuration??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:42:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Glocked:
Pick up one with titanium baffles, cleaning is easier when you let an ultrasonic do most of the work.
View Quote

What's the limitation of titanium or aluminum with different cleaning methods?  

I've always done multiple rounds of WD-40 or CLP until it comes out clear.  Again, take a while and it's a pain in the ass.  Would be wonderful to drop the thing (assembled or not) into a sonic cleaner and have a dishwasher for my can!!  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:51:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Emt1581:

Thanks!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:

Thanks!

Hollywood quiet with subs.  I'm enjoying the hell out of mine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:54:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By amos-moses:

Hollywood quiet with subs.  I'm enjoying the hell out of mine.
View Quote

On backorder so not sure it matters.  No clue if backorder means a week, a few months, or no one knows.  

But with it's weight, modularity, and "unconditional" lifetime warranty....does seem like a sweet package!  

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I like my Nyx
I'd look hard at a mustang
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bradpierson26:
I like my Nyx
I'd look hard at a mustang
View Quote

Why's that?

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 9:58:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piciphant] [#14]
I don't know, but i like my mask.

eta works great on tx22 and cmr.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Bowers bitty...

Probably not the quietest, but the smallest that doesn't use wipes...
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By jwc179:
Bowers bitty...

Probably not the quietest, but the smallest that doesn't use wipes...
View Quote

Quietest is priority, then weight, then length.  

Thanks though.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:11:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KalmanPhilter] [#17]
Have a decent 9mm and .30cal can, but my .22lr can was made over 20 years back (Outback II).  Has technology improved enough in that time to warrant consideration of a new .22lr can?  They all come apart for cleaning nowadays which would be great since this thing fucking sucks to clean!!! But are they any quieter?  This is already close to bolt clacking quiet.  

Thoughts?

Thanks!
View Quote

A 20 yr old OB2 is sealed with red Loctite. It can be jail-broken with significant heat and disassembled but cleaning lead / carbon buildup is tedious. Unshielded k-baffles are likely welded to the tube with crud.  There are aluminum safe cleaners now:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Review-Breakthrough-Suppressor-Cleaner-OP-updated-/20-548434/

Might do a decent job of cleaning without disassembly. You can track effectiveness with a scale. When new the OB2 should have been just under 3 ounces. Wear DMSO resistant gloves. The cleaner is hazardous once lead dissolves into it.

On rifle hosts shooting standard velocity / subsonic even a gunked up OB2 should be hearing safe.  The OB2 meters louder on pistols,  but has a good tone and subjectively sounds decent compared to newer cans even if it is objectively louder.

Now is a good time to pick up a newer rimfire can if you can find one that you want in stock. It’s worth it if you are a high volume shooter or want modularity to put a shorter configuration on a rifle.  Your hearing and host / ammo will be a big factor in whether a newer can wows you.  But features and design might make it worth it to you.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:13:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I’ve had my Mask for a few weeks.

With standard/sub ammo, it’s fucking quiet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:15:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HKPDW] [#19]
Just bought another AAC Halcyon.  It disassembles as well as you can remove 1/3 the length and make it a super short suppressor.

Very quiet with CCI standard velocity ammo.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Tagged as I currently own a Sparrow.  It's not the lightest or quietest but it's a tank  With wait times like they are now, I'd like to pick something up for use on my Mk4
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:17:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Outback 2 sounds similar to newer cans. To me.  

Time is money and your almost better off throwing away a $500 outback every few years than spending hours or your life cleaning baffles and exposing yourself to lead
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#22]
i got one 22 can then bought 2 more because they’re stupid fun. every time i hit the range or my friends’ properties, i shoot 22lr.

not a requirement, its simply fun. third 22 can has been order (mask) and hopefully otw soon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#23]
OB2D is solid.
Most all 22 cans with subs are very good.
Gemtech used to offer a service to convert your OB to a removable baffle. Not sure if they still do that.

@hater did this a few years ago.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:20:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:

A 20 yr old OB2 is sealed with red Loctite. It can be jail-broken with significant heat and disassembled but cleaning lead / carbon buildup is tedious. Unshielded k-baffles are likely welded to the tube with crud.  There are aluminum safe cleaners now:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Review-Breakthrough-Suppressor-Cleaner-OP-updated-/20-548434/

Might do a decent job of cleaning without disassembly. You can track effectiveness with a scale. When new the OB2 should have been just under 3 ounces. Wear DMSO resistant gloves. The cleaner is hazardous once lead dissolves into it.

On rifle hosts shooting standard velocity / subsonic even a gunked up OB2 should be hearing safe.  The OB2 meters louder on pistols,  but has a good tone and subjectively sounds decent compared to newer cans even if it is objectively louder.

Now is a good time to pick up a newer rimfire can if you can find one that you want in stock. It’s worth it if you are a high volume shooter or want modularity to put a shorter configuration on a rifle.  Your hearing and host / ammo will be a big factor in whether a newer can wows you.  But features and design might make it worth it to you.
View Quote

Appreciate the info.  The OB2 works well enough but no plans to jail break the thing.  Too old for that and no real reason to.  I'd rather enjoy it for what it is but grab something that is more up with the times and performs better.  Right now the Mustang is the front runner but the "backorder" makes me uneasy without knowing what that means COMBINED with needing to wait on the FATF to do their job.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Why's that?

View Quote

mustang is lightweight. Allegedly they sound fantastic. Lots of good reviews in the suppressor forum
Rugged has a good rimfire reputation. Get the big brother Oculus if you want heavy duty rating
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:24:28 PM EDT
[#26]

I've always done multiple rounds of WD-40 or CLP until it comes out clear.  Again, take a while and it's a pain in the ass.  Would be wonderful to drop the thing (assembled or not) into a sonic cleaner and have a dishwasher for my can!!  

Thanks!
View All Quotes

Thanks!

Titanium is Ultra Sonic safe. I coat my rimfire baffles in dielectric grease. 95% just wipes off with a rag, the little bit left usually comes after 30 minutes or so of ultrasonic and warm solution.

I believe it is safe to use CLR soak with titanium too. I don’t use CLR, someone that does can probably say for sure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a really old HTA Guardian and a newer Oculus. I don’t think it’s worth upgrading for the sake of upgrading. They both sound the same.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:26:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MethaneMover] [#28]
Old .22 owner checking in- 2010ish SWR Spectre.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:26:11 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks!
View All Quotes

Thanks!

I like my 17-4 Oculus. 6.9 oz in long config, the extra 3.5 oz versus the Mustang is well worth being able to just dump the can in a jar of CLR and walk away for a bit to come back to a shiny clean can.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By HKPDW:
Just bought another AAC Halcyon.  It disassembles as well as you can remove 1/3 the length and make it a super short suppressor.

Very quiet with CCI standard velocity ammo.

https://i.imgur.com/EEHzDdr.jpg
View Quote

I love my Halcyon.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:26:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By SeanTX:
OB2D is solid.
Gemtech used to offer a service to convert your OB to a removable baffle. Not sure if they still do that.

View Quote

They still do it.  I did mine 5 years ago.  They replace your K baffle stack with a monocore.  They even send it back with a nifty pouch.  Easy to disassemble and clean.  Buy a harbor freight soda blaster for $90 and it’s a snap to clean.  Great way to extend the life of your suppressor without having to buy another stamp.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:27:21 PM EDT
[#32]
my outback II is SOOOO heavy now. I think i'm going to send in for rebuild/conversion to serviceable.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#33]
OB2D is solid.

View Quote

Not sure if they still do but when the did it was the price of a new can to do it.  Fuck that.  I'd rather have 2 cans.  Looking back I wished I'd gone with the Tac 65 that no one probably remembers anymore but I do.  The OB2 was supposedly quieter so I went with that.  The Tac 65 was able to be taken apart to clean.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:30:50 PM EDT
[#34]

mustang is lightweight. Allegedly they sound fantastic. Lots of good reviews in the suppressor forum
Rugged has a good rimfire reputation. Get the big brother Oculus if you want heavy duty rating
View Quote

Unconditional lifetime is unconditional lifetime.  I take that to mean I could melt the thing with 2k rds at the range and they'll still fix it new.  Now the Oculus is rated for different calibers but I don't own any of them.  I have enough bulk .22lr to fill a kiddy pool and scrooge McDuck in!

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:31:43 PM EDT
[#35]

Titanium is Ultra Sonic safe. I coat my rimfire baffles in dielectric grease. 95% just wipes off with a rag, the little bit left usually comes after 30 minutes or so of ultrasonic and warm solution.

I believe it is safe to use CLR soak with titanium too. I don’t use CLR, someone that does can probably say for sure.
View Quote

But the aluminum isn't Ultra Sonic safe?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:33:56 PM EDT
[#36]
I'll be the odd man out: I have a Mask, an Oculus, a CGS Hydra SS, and a Ruger Silent-SR. I'd buy the Ruger & the CGS again. The Mask and the Oculus may be overall quieter, but I like the tone out of the CGS and the Ruger better.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:34:31 PM EDT
[#37]
I like my Q El Camino, but I know a few people don't like it because of its FRP. I can barely notice it and it sounds hearing safe to me.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:34:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes. My switchback is much better than my sparrow.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:35:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 11boomboom:
I like my Q El Camino, but I know a few people don't like it because of its FRP. I can barely notice it and it sounds hearing safe to me.
View Quote

FRP is definitely less of a concern on rifles
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#40]

Not sure if they still do but when the did it was the price of a new can to do it.  Fuck that.  I'd rather have 2 cans.  Looking back I wished I'd gone with the Tac 65 that no one probably remembers anymore but I do.  The OB2 was supposedly quieter so I went with that.  The Tac 65 was able to be taken apart to clean.
View Quote

Close to the $ of a new can minus the stamp. And you just upgraded your existing can to a more modern version.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:38:38 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Burtg:

Time is money and your almost better off throwing away a $500 outback every few years than spending hours or your life cleaning baffles and exposing yourself to lead
View Quote

This is a fun weekend worth of CCI-SV debris in a rimfire can, I think I'll stick with cleaning baffles rather than tossing cans.

Dropping the internals in an ultrasonic cleaner is not remotely close to spending hours of my time, I turn it on and they come out shiny with no effort on my part.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#42]

FRP is definitely less of a concern on rifles
View Quote

I use it on my kid's M&P15-22.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:
View Quote
I just went and looked up the date on my Spectre. It was approved December 10, 2008. But the paperwork is dated October 18, 2008.

That can't possibly be right because I remember waiting forever for that first one. Guess I need to get it out and shoot it sometime soon? It's been a while.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:51:53 PM EDT
[#44]

I've been accused of being hired to pitch These Cans

They are That Good.
I DO NOT NEED hearing protection when shooting sub-sonic ammo

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#45]
I feel like I’m gonna end up with a ton of .22 cans after this first one gets here.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:02:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Action45:
I feel like I’m gonna end up with a ton of .22 cans after this first one gets here.
View Quote

Sub 22s through a can is a giggle machine. Suburbistan friendly for sure. My 177 pellet rifle is much louder.
CCI SV for 22LR is where it's at.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:08:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Sub 22s through a can is a giggle machine. Suburbistan friendly for sure. My 177 pellet rifle is much louder.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Action45:

I can’t wait. CCI SV seems to be the go to. I’m excited, I just know it’s gonna be a problem. I can see this getting out of hand quickly. Lol
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:16:37 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
I just went and looked up the date on my Spectre. It was approved December 10, 2008. But the paperwork is dated October 18, 2008.

That can't possibly be right because I remember waiting forever for that first one. Guess I need to get it out and shoot it sometime soon? It's been a while.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Wildfowler:
Originally Posted By MethaneMover:

Oh yeah, the days before I learned the NFA cadence.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:17:20 PM EDT
[#49]

I believe it is safe to use CLR soak with titanium too. I don't use CLR, someone that does can probably say for sure.
View Quote
It would be worth reading the tech thread about the Breakthrough Suppressor Cleaner
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:18:36 PM EDT
[#50]
'09 aac prodigy here, it gets the most use over my sparrow just on weight alone.
Does any other can come close in weight/diameter? I'd be interested in getting a backup, the sparrow lives on my savage, bu the prodigy is my go to if I do anything but shoot off a bench esp with pistol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top