Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:58:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I heard Laurel the first four times, the fifth time after he cuts out the bottom part I hear Yanny.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 3:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this one of those conservative/liberal tests?

Conservatives hear "Laurel" and liberals hear "Yanni."

I cannot imagine what would make "la" sound like "ya".  Or "oral" sound like "onnie".

But I'm a conservative.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:01:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Every single version I've heard sounds like Laurel.  I have no idea... nothing, nada, zippo, how anything resembles Yanni.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:01:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The clip has three different tracks. First two I heard Laurel the last was Yanny
View Quote
Same here
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I know I'm gonna sound all uppity here, but I'm a professional audio guy who listens to shit for a living.

The answer is Yanny. If you hear Laurel, you have hearing issues.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:22:42 PM EDT
[#6]
For those wondering why you hear Yanny sometimes and Laurel other times when playing the OP's clip, here is why.

The graphic displayed represents the full spectrum of frequencies that humans should be able to hear. High frequencies are on top and low frequencies are on the bottom.

The first couple of times, the clip is played at full range. If you have good hearing (meaning you can still hear high frequencies, which are typically the first to go when you start losing your hearing) you should hear Yanny.

They then circle and filter out the highs, which results in it sounding like Laurel.

They wrap it up by circling and filtering out the lows, which illustrates the point that if you initially heard Yanny, your hearing is good and extends into the higher ranges (theoretically, people who are hard of hearing should have trouble hearing the last playback at all, since it only consists of the highs).

Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I know I'm gonna sound all uppity here, but I'm a professional audio guy who listens to shit for a living.

View Quote
Go watch the several youtube videos and you will understand why different people/sources/environments cause either/both to be heard.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:25:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Go watch the several youtube videos and you will understand why different people/sources/environments cause either/both to be heard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

See my last post. I understand.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Even with the cutting portions of the audio out from the OP, it's all Laurel on my end.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The first part was yanny, then the second part was laurel.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:30:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The clip has three different tracks. First two I heard Laurel the last was Yanny
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:30:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I hear both at the same time. Surprising, since i've been around jet engines spinning all day long for quite some time.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:31:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For those wondering why you hear Yanny sometimes and Laurel other times when playing the OP's clip, here is why.

The graphic displayed represents the full spectrum of frequencies that humans should be able to hear. High frequencies are on top and low frequencies are on the bottom.

The first couple of times, the clip is played at full range. If you have good hearing (meaning you can still hear high frequencies, which are typically the first to go when you start losing your hearing) you should hear Yanny.

They then circle and filter out the highs, which results in it sounding like Laurel.

They wrap it up by circling and filtering out the lows, which illustrates the point that if you initially heard Yanny, your hearing is good and extends into the higher ranges (theoretically, people who are hard of hearing should have trouble hearing the last playback at all, since it only consists of the highs).

Hope this helps.
View Quote
I heard laurel on the first set, and didn't have any trouble hearing yanny on the last set. Is my hearing fucked or not?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:35:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I heard laurel on the first set, and didn't have any trouble hearing yanny on the last set. Is my hearing fucked or not?
View Quote
That's why I said, "theoretically."

I'm no audiologist, and I can't speak to how your brain is processing vibrations in the air.

It's a fascinating little experiment, though.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:36:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Bob.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Posted while I was typing
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:49:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't hear anything other than "Laurel" at any point during that clip.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Same here, has to do with the different level of bass.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here, has to do with the different level of bass.
Same for me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:52:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I played it backwards and heard "satan is your master"  
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:52:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The audio in the OP is clearly Laurel, but I am guessing it has certain frequencies removed or some shit.....because the version they played on the radio this morning was clearly Yanny and I am not even sure how it's debatable if you have functioning ears.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:56:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Laurel/Laurel/Laurel/Laurel/Yammy/Yammy
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#22]
Laurel
Rorel
Yammy.

Three clips. Three different words.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Scientifically, slowing the pitch will make it "yanny" or "yammy," while speeding it up will make it clearly "laurel." Played at normal speed, more people hear laurel, but some even vacillate.

I like being told that I don't have functioning ears or hearing problems when I hear the word "laurel," a relatively common English word, in a recording of a man pronouncing the word "laurel." It's weapons-grade retardation to suggest that your hearing is better when you hear a word that doesn't even exist instead of the intended word in an oh-so-slightly noisy version of the recording.

I had just assumed that mostly women would hear "yanny" or whatever. A whole hell of a lot would be explained if we found out that women replace every fifth word in a sentence or something with complete nonsense.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#24]
I hear Laurel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:11:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We did some testing around here. Most people hear laurel. A few hear yanny. The ones that hear yanny also are the ones that are subjected to loud noises at work. No young people have heard yanny, but some older people have heard laurel. We are calling 40 the cut off for young people.
View Quote
I'm 47.  All I hear is Laurel until he starts cutting up the audio spectrum, and then I hear Yanni.

ETA: Laurel, Laurel, Roarel, Yanni, Yanni.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I hear both, does that mean I get to go to Xavier's school for gifted children?  
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:17:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Laurel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:18:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Guy at worked played this today. I heard "yammy".
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:18:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I hear both, does that mean I get to go to Xavier's school for gifted children?  
View Quote
Yeah I heard yanny at first and then it switched to laurel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Weird because the clip was made from the dictionary.com pronunciation of laurel.

Maybe you suck at your job?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Yanny. does that make me special?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Get both!

Earlier on the Five when they played it I heard Yanny.

Later on Tucker I heard laurel while the wife kept saying yanny.

WTF??? Its some kind of voodoo witchery bullmess, l say we need to kill all the robots before they get us first.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:27:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:28:11 PM EDT
[#34]
This is some serious mind control shit put out by the Gov't .....stop spreading it godamnit!
It's like the red or blue dress that went viral.....it was all Gov't mind control. They have embedded this shit in your head and will activate it as the see fit. Don't spread this shit and don't succumb to it.....be prepared to pop the Pmags in any case......it's coming soon!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

DEPLOY THE TIN FOIL!

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:30:21 PM EDT
[#35]
I hear yeary.

Weird.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't have any high frequency hearing left so I hear Laurel. Girls hear Yanny.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:31:48 PM EDT
[#37]
I heard both.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:36:49 PM EDT
[#38]
I heard Yanny the first two times, now I hear Laurel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:36:51 PM EDT
[#39]
"SATAN"

Ok, I just hear Yanny, clear as day.  I've heard it all day on TV and occasionally I can hear the first and last "L" but not the middle of Laurel.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:37:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Laurel

Except for when he removes the lower section. Then yanny
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#41]
On all of the replas I heard I only hear laurel.

I also knew they were playing at both the same time with differnt frequncies/pitch. Only easy explanation.

But I am really not suprised.

I had a girlfriend that had a high pitched voice and when we would talk on the phone...I could make out a single damn think she was saying. It was really weird. I used to have to tell her all the time to repeat her self.

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:40:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Poll inbound

[tweet]https://twitter.com/MBoffin/status/996562598815416321?s=20[/tweet]Fuck twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF9J14ba3Hw
View Quote
Two 46 year olds here and a 17 year old. The 17 yr old girl only hears laurel....
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:48:31 PM EDT
[#44]
I hear a mix but can only make out yanni or yammi
Kind of glad I still have the high freq range
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I hear a mix but can only make out yanni or yammi
Kind of glad I still have the high freq range
View Quote
I did first thing this morning, now I only hear laurel.

I’ll check again in the morning.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#46]
I must be really messed up. I hear 'Yuri' like a Russian was saying it. Best hide muh dags!

Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:52:31 PM EDT
[#47]
So, only “laurel”?
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Weird because the clip was made from the dictionary.com pronunciation of laurel.

View Quote
Easy way to test that would be to rip the original audio of each and compare in a spectrum analysis (like we’re already seeing - I just don’t know if OP source is original source or not). There might be fuckery afoot, or something as simple as the filters used on each at the time of creation. Initially I would say one was high passed and the other was low passed with some additional EQ’ing then mixed together perfectly, but both words actually sit in different frequency ranges naturally because of the letters used. Unless you force yourself to say both in higher or lower ranges, Ya-Ni has nasally high popping frequencies, La-Rel doesn’t, if that makes sense or at least how I’m perceiving their annunciation here? Exaggerate that fact with said audio effects and you’ll have people hearing one or the other based on their hearing range and their local acoustics.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Easy way to test that would be to rip the original audio of each and compare in a spectrum analysis (like we’re already seeing - I just don’t know if OP source is original source or not). There might be fuckery afoot, or something as simple as the filters used on each at the time of creation. Initially I would say one was high passed and the other was low passed with some additional EQ’ing then mixed together perfectly, but both words actually sit in different frequency ranges naturally because of the letters used. Unless you force yourself to say both in higher or lower ranges, Ya-Ni has nasally high popping frequencies, La-Rel doesn’t, if that makes sense or at least how I’m perceiving their annunciation here? Exaggerate that fact with said audio effects and you’ll have people hearing one or the other based on their hearing range and their local acoustics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's literally no yanni in the clip. There's an NYT article describing how it was made, its just laurel from dictionary.com played back through the speakers or some shit.

ETA: Here's the link: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/05/16/upshot/audio-clip-yanny-laurel-debate.html you might find it more interesting as you work in the field.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#50]
I heard both but its 4 to 1 Yanny.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top