Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/25/2023 3:37:22 PM EDT
Please stay the f out of the coned, taped off and unsafe area you stupid mo fo and that includes your dogs, vehicles,  golf carts and so on too. Don't walk by it, over it, or under it, especially when the stupid old fvck of the neighborhood grabbed it earlier and pronounced it "safe." It's primary and they are doing sub work and the line fuses are NOT open.
I have no idea how the Gen pop actually survives one day after a storm without power.

PS, we really got a slammed locally, straight line winds were brutal in places.

And no, unfortunately, few of us know when you personally will get your power back on. I wish I knew and I'd tell you if I knew, but I don't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 3:43:16 PM EDT
[#1]
people are ratarded, just look around here in GD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Would my Klein non-contact tester detect this?

It's good to 1000V.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you telling me after a few minutes the contactors are going to keep trying on ground faulted lines?

We had a tornado recently, and the poco guys told us that we'd be more likely to find a hearty meal in North Korea than a live line on the ground after a few minutes.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:22:10 PM EDT
[#4]
grabbed it earlier and pronounced it "safe."
View Quote

Does he have a YouTube channel?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:24:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are you telling me after a few minutes the contactors are going to keep trying on ground faulted lines?

We had a tornado recently, and the poco guys told us that we'd be more likely to find a hearty meal in North Korea than a live line on the ground after a few minutes.
View Quote

That’s a very ignorant statement.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:24:59 PM EDT
[#7]
To be fair, yellow tape usually means caution.  Red tape usually means stay out.

Fuck messing with downed wires though.  Anyone not professionally involved in the repairs doing that is an idiot.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Teen electrocuted by downed power line
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Who wants a body massage?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Electricity scares the poop out of me.  I don't understand it, I can't see it.  I can't kill it with a shotgun.

I've made it to 58 years old by staying away, and calling the pros.  Don't plan on changing that.

I don't know what will kill me, but it is likely not electricity.  Fair enough.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
  When you watch an idiot drive over your cones blocking the street and then over the 5 inch supply line from the hydrant to the pumper at an active fire scene. Nothing should surprise us anymore.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I have a couple pieces of sidewalk glass from a #6 cu. 12kv line (7200) where the fuse never cleared . When our trouble shooter pulled up the sidewalk was basically on fire. I guess there wasn't enough resistance to clear the 80T fuse.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:39:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:43:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I called in a downed power line that was a jumpin and a sparkin then restin the jumpin and sparkin.
I said its either 3 or 4 (short length) blocks up from me , that's as close as i'm getting.
Should be able to detect it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Breakin 2

Electric boogaloo
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Would it be wrong to suggest "Hand me that wire and I can get your power back on in an instant"?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:51:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

The “poco guy” is a dangerous idiot. I’ve worked in an industry with lines on poles for 25 years. When I was a fiber tech doing restoration work after hurricanes Charlie and Ivan we found energized power lines on the ground many many times days after the storms had passed. Home owners connecting generators up without a bypass / disconnect is a massive danger.

If you don’t know what you’re looking at or doing stay the fuck away from it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 4:55:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Can I have my trunk monkey go in and check it out?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#19]
I just came back from Brighton Mi and the downed trees along 96 was impressive. Had to detour around one section of 96, closed for unrelated issues I think) but passed a farm that had several buildings missing roofs and/or walls. Really feel bad for that family as they could have lost everything.

Passed a couple corn fields where the corn was just laid down by the winds, haven’t seen that before.

I would have to think there were tornados in some areas given the damage.

Be safe OP!
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#20]

Ride the lightning.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:09:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Are you doing standby?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#22]
You work for DTE?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:23:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have no idea how the Gen pop actually survives one day after a storm without power.
View Quote

you could have just stopped there but yes
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:24:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a job during a storm where primary and secondary were down, but still hot on a dead end street.  Primary was 4' off the ground and secondary on the ground.  The town tree guys put caution tape on it and told customers to walk over/duck and they'd be fine.  The customers were walking their kids under it and ducking the wires to get to the bus stop for four straight days before I showed up.

The crazy thing is the customers got mad at me because I killed the power.  They said they had been fine until I showed up.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:40:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Would my Klein non-contact tester detect this?

It's good to 1000V.
View Quote

Sure, ONCE.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Pretty well known when I was growing up.  Even better known now that I'm older.  We had lines down last winter and someone said "I'll just go fix it!" dead serious.  Everyone in the room just turned and looked at him like .  He was not local.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:44:39 PM EDT
[#28]
GD the last few days has reinforced that there is a significant number of people who take the "DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO DO" to an extreme even when it comes to the personal safety of themselves and especially others.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

A downed primary line doesn’t even have to be connected to the the system to kill you. So yea, that’s some bad info
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A downed primary line doesn’t even have to be connected to the the system to kill you. So yea, that’s some bad info
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People don't get that a gennie hooked up to a house and backfed gets it's voltage stepped up as it goes thru the transformer into the primary or secondary wires. It's ain't 120/240 when it pops you, its 7200 or 14.4 or whatever the line specs are.
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 5:56:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Grounded/ Denergized Line/ never Harmed anyone, just like a unloaded gun!
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:02:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Please stay the f out of the coned, taped off and unsafe area you stupid mo fo and that includes your dogs, vehicles,  golf carts and so on too. Don't walk by it, over it, or under it, especially when the stupid old fvck of the neighborhood grabbed it earlier and pronounced it "safe." It's primary and they are doing sub work and the line fuses are NOT open.

PS, we really got a slammed locally, straight line winds were brutal in places.

And no, unfortunately, few of us know when you personally will get your power back on. I wish I knew and I'd tell you if I knew, but I don't.
View Quote

Isn't this literally how half of the people died in Maui?  Linemen putting out orange cones and telling everyone to drive back towards the fire?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Would hot downed lines kill Bigfoot ?
Link Posted: 8/25/2023 11:44:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
To be fair, yellow tape usually means caution.  Red tape usually means stay out.

Fuck messing with downed wires though.  Anyone not professionally involved in the repairs doing that is an idiot.
View Quote

I had to tell the professionals that the downed lines in my yard were live.  “No this line is shut down so we can hook up the downed junction down the hill”.  Me: no it’s live go check a couple meters on the street and see if they’re spinning. Three minutes later and baffled “you’re right they’re spinning” this must come from the transformer across the intersection.”
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:05:08 AM EDT
[#35]
know your tape. yellow means proceed with caution. RED is DO NOT CROSS.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:07:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Had the sirens go off. Like "what the fuck are those" then got the tornado warning on the phone!
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:10:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
know your tape. yellow means proceed with caution. RED is DO NOT CROSS.
View Quote

If I didn’t put the tape there, I stay the fuck out regardless of color.  Seems prudent.  And courteous.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:11:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Welcome to my world. Crossing gates coming down, flashing etc,  mean pedal to the metal, drive around, hit the gates, etc. Can't cure stupid
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:16:14 AM EDT
[#39]
After one of the hurricanes a few years back , we had a guy who got fed up with all the power trucks driving by and no one would stop and perform the simple task of throwing the jack back in his transformer so he could have power.

So he got his ladder out and did it himself with a pair of channel locks.

Didn’t go well for him….

ETA: When we rolled up on downed lines, I learned to scan them with the thermal imaging camera, usually you could see where thot ones were going to ground by the heat signature, nice white lines on our camera, going through the tree, down the chain link fence, etc.

We didn’t touch them either way, but it was useful for showing the citizens, and new firefighters.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those poco guys that told you that are fucking retarded. Do not listen to that shit.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#41]
One of my cow orkers, who was nominally a paid Safety Professional got DRT'd fucking around with a ~1kV line that that went down in his back yard. That shit gives me the willies.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:33:02 AM EDT
[#42]
I used to work for a company doing power line inspection and repair via helicopter. We were told that the magic number was 7. Power line - 7 feet - helicopter - 7 feet - tree equals You’re Dead.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:35:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Your not my supervisor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:52:30 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Those poco guys that told you that are fucking retarded. Do not listen to that shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was just in the area and was first on scene and found down lines across the road.

I had cones in my truck and cordoned off the area and we wouldn't let anyone cross or enter that piece of the street.

Some guy come by after a few hours in a poco shirt and chuckled at us for being afraid of the down line and cracked some joke about how there wasn't going to power around there for a while and acted like we were over reacting. I was tired and only half listening, but he made it sound like the system would sense the faults and open up.

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had a job during a storm where primary and secondary were down, but still hot on a dead end street.  Primary was 4' off the ground and secondary on the ground.  The town tree guys put caution tape on it and told customers to walk over/duck and they'd be fine.  The customers were walking their kids under it and ducking the wires to get to the bus stop for four straight days before I showed up.

The crazy thing is the customers got mad at me because I killed the power.  They said they had been fine until I showed up.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/26/2023 1:00:54 AM EDT
[#46]
so OP when is my power going to be turned on? wtf??
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
so OP when is my power going to be turned on? wtf??
View Quote

Assholes get turned on last.

Seriously, it goes by the number of customers you can get on with the repair. An entire neighborhood,  you are high on the list, a single in bfe,  buy a generator.
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Was out on a Mi Highway, had it closed both ways due to primary across the road. County road commission had the road completely closed both ways with the wide road closed signs, [3 so you had to work to get around them] was at an intersection so people could turn right or left and get past the closure. Nope, florida Q tip in a motor home towing a VW thing [that was nice] made it around it and drove all the way to the downed line and then wanted to argue he needed to get by it. NOPE. Told him to back up and he said he couldn't [he was flat towing the thing] so I just told him he could sit until it was open. He was upset because there was a cop further up and the cop didn't flag him down and personally tell him the road was closed. You know, because the sign COULDN'T pertain to him, right? He made it around the signage but said he couldn't make the turn at the intersection even though the signs were a few feet PAST the intersection..........

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#49]
@fxntime

People ignoring the caution and danger signs suck.

In construction, yellow means "CAUTION'" and red means "DANGER",
but reading different service providers' websites, colors can mean anything -
i.e. yellow tape = our utility's problem, orange tape = some other utility's problem.

I'm an inside wireman, not a lineman.

But in the last couple years, I've been doing more with medium voltage,
and two years ago started switching in my first substation - 200kV,
down to 13.8kV (whatever Google required, I forget ).

My questions for you are: Does MI have some kind of real-time automation controllers
                                             utilizing synchrophasors and phasor measurement units to
                                             automatically open lines immediately after a line breaks?

If a line just changed elevation without breaking, would an
                                             "RTAC" activate?

Even if lines are opened automatically, you all still need to
                                             physically LOTO at all upstream sources?

Does MI allow you to ass-whoop retards who backfeed your lines?  

ETA - Is 35 feet still the minimum distance from downed power lines?                                  

Link Posted: 8/28/2023 5:10:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've seen them lay minutes to hours between violent eruptions of sparks.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top