Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 795
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#1]

this is the worst. Tasajillo. You don't even have to be touching it, the little segments will break off in the breeze and throw themselves at you. Microbarbs in the thorns so when you pull them out, it tears skin, or, when you use pliers to pull them out, they'll spring out and catch on somewhere else. Or leave thorns in the skin. Much worse than stickerburrs (as we called goatheads growing up)

Although that honey locust looks like what I imagine the tree of woe looks like in the book Hyperion
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By strider98:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Cylindropuntialeptocaulis.jpg/800px-Cylindropuntialeptocaulis.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/txmn.org/alamo/files/2020/08/Tasajillo-cylindropuntia-leptocaulis-scaled-1020x380_c.jpg

this is the worst. Tasajillo. You don't even have to be touching it, the little segments will break off in the breeze and throw themselves at you. Microbarbs in the thorns so when you pull them out, it tears skin, or, when you use pliers to pull them out, they'll spring out and catch on somewhere else. Or leave thorns in the skin. Much worse than stickerburrs (as we called goatheads growing up)

Although that honey locust looks like what I imagine the tree of woe looks like in the book Hyperion
View Quote

That's right up there with my irrational fear of falling on a shallow oyster bed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:55:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:03:43 PM EDT
[#4]
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/af/Cylindropuntialeptocaulis.jpg/800px-Cylindropuntialeptocaulis.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/txmn.org/alamo/files/2020/08/Tasajillo-cylindropuntia-leptocaulis-scaled-1020x380_c.jpg

View Quote

There is nothing quite like mountain biking at night and finding yourself wearing a few of those things after missing a sharp turn.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:

The honey locust in the NC mountains has thorns that will easily puncture a tractor tire. Taking one to the head trying to lower limb the tree is like being shot with a nail gun.
View Quote
I never had the pleasure of getting involved with those.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Undaunted:

That's right up there with my irrational fear of falling on a shallow oyster bed.
View Quote

Not irrational, I don’t think. My brother did this in Galveston when we were kids and slit his knee clean open. A cool ER trip for everyone and no more fishing
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 1:13:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

TX boy here, can confirm.  Got tangled up with tasajillo tracking a wounded deer.  

Also called the OP's pic 'goatheads' growing up.  They are the reason we now have a 'remove your boots at the door' policy.  Nothing like stepping on one of those embedded in the carpet at 0500 carrying a full cup of coffee.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 3:58:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Turns out that pokey thorn discussion is even funnier than pages and pages of ‘keep on truckin’, and ‘in my ass’ replies
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By AR-1904:
Turns out that pokey thorn discussion is even funnier than pages and pages of ‘keep on truckin’, and ‘in my ass’ replies
View Quote

Pokey thorn in your ass?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:

Pokey thorn in your ass?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By colt_thompson:

Pokey thorn in your ass?

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:43:22 PM EDT
[#12]
HE DOUBLE PARK HIS CAR, THIS IS HOW THEY PUNISHED HIM
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Turns out that pokey thorn discussion is even funnier than pages and pages of 'keep on truckin', and 'in my ass' replies
View Quote
Keep on thornin'.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 4:47:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 5:25:54 PM EDT
[#15]

And, for :

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:47:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:51:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Gingerbreadman:
Keep on thornin'.
View Quote

You piece of thorn!
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Thorn balls
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:44:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MinorMonstruwacan] [#21]

When your GPS notices you stopped at taco bell before getting on the freeway
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:42:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Pogo55:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Pogo55:

The honey locust in the NC mountains has thorns that will easily puncture a tractor tire. Taking one to the head trying to lower limb the tree is like being shot with a nail gun.

They make for good fence posts and buried picnic table legs. I worked for a forest service for a year. Long story.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Let's not start with that noise.
You piece of shit!
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:46:45 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By MinorMonstruwacan:
Attachment Attached File

When your GPS notices you stopped at taco bell before getting on the freeway
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:27:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:43:24 AM EDT
[#26]
Attachment Attached File

When she really, really mean she's a horse chick....
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 10:56:57 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By Nightdriver:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18359/image-037bfdd1_jpeg-2605835.JPG

When she really, really mean she's a horse chick....
View Quote

Yikes
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#28]

View Quote
We call em Jesus Trees
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:03:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By The_Beer_Slayer:
View Quote

Ouch.  Not that we don't deserve it.

No freeloading:
Last night Parakeet independenly made this observation:
"British badgers look like they want to have tea with you.  American badgers look like they want to eat your face."

The Internet agrees.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:09:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By flkyle:
We call em Jesus Trees
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By flkyle:

We call em Jesus Trees

We have Honey, Screwbean, and Velvet Mesquite that looks about like that but wikipedia tells me they are a different thing...
Cleaning up Mesquite off a property is a frigging treat. You will bleed. Usually you will bleed like the death of a thousand cuts, and require antibiotics later.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:16:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#32]

don't make me go start a fucked up plants forum
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By THOT_Vaccine:

We have Honey, Screwbean, and Velvet Mesquite that looks about like that but wikipedia tells me they are a different thing...
Cleaning up Mesquite off a property is a frigging treat. You will bleed. Usually you will bleed like the death of a thousand cuts, and require antibiotics later.

don't make me go start a fucked up plants forum

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]

Okay.

That's actually worth the watch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:08:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: uglygun] [#37]
Originally Posted By Sand_Pirate:

TX boy here, can confirm.  Got tangled up with tasajillo tracking a wounded deer.  

Also called the OP's pic 'goatheads' growing up.  They are the reason we now have a 'remove your boots at the door' policy.  Nothing like stepping on one of those embedded in the carpet at 0500 carrying a full cup of coffee.  
View Quote

These are the Goatheads of my youth...

Lost so many bike tires to the fucking things you became an expert at dodging areas that may potentially even stand a chance of having a bush.

Then "mr tuffy" tire liners came out and life was a bit better.   Every bike had to have the goddamn thing as standard equipment.

As a kid I ran around barefoot a ton.   Can still remember not seeing one of the weeds spralling out over a sidewalk and winding up running barefoot over them.    Stopping from a run with some kind of game of hot foot as you dance between feet trying to land on spots that are not covered in thorns, when therr are already 5+ thorns stuck in each foot.

Fuck off.

When I bought my house in 2010 the owner had not done anything with the back yard.   Completely dead dry field.   Goatheads everywhere.   Took 2+ years to get grass growing to the extent where the goatheads were bred away.

I run into people my age that have lived in same town as me for their entire lives.   They have no idea what I am talking about when I show them what a goathead is.   I figure they had a sheltered childhood and have few survival skills because I know they never got out of the house enough to encounter the stupid little caltrop.   A 70's kid that has not learned how to fix a bike tire is basically useless.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:11:55 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Leaping cactus!
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:53:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:57:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m1awolf] [#40]

lets please keep this thread on funny
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By uglygun:

These are the Goatheads of my youth...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/hredirect2.php?c=6306765

Lost so many bike tires to the fucking things you became an expert at dodging areas that may potentially even stand a chance of having a bush.

Then "mr tuffy" tire liners came out and life was a bit better.   Every bike had to have the goddamn thing as standard equipment.

As a kid I ran around barefoot a ton.   Can still remember not seeing one of the weeds spralling out over a sidewalk and winding up running barefoot over them.    Stopping from a run with some kind of game of hot foot as you dance between feet trying to land on spots that are not covered in thorns, when therr are already 5+ thorns stuck in each foot.

Fuck off.

When I bought my house in 2010 the owner had not done anything with the back yard.   Completely dead dry field.   Goatheads everywhere.   Took 2+ years to get grass growing to the extent where the goatheads were bred away.

I run into people my age that have lived in same town as me for their entire lives.   They have no idea what I am talking about when I show them what a goathead is.   I figure they had a sheltered childhood and have few survival skills because I know they never got out of the house enough to encounter the stupid little caltrop.   A 70's kid that has not learned how to fix a bike tire is basically useless.

lets please keep this thread on funny

The last sentence/paragraph was funny,did it hit a nerve......
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By m1awolf:

The last sentence/paragraph was funny,did it hit a nerve......
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:45:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Goatboy should change his username to Goathead
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:18:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:21:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Guy 'Farts' Into Supermarket Speakers
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 7:55:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By ludder093:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_s1l1DQPws
View Quote

We have literally achieved Idiocracy.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:29:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Jason280:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Jason280:
Originally Posted By ludder093:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_s1l1DQPws

It's amazing how the tone and pitch were nearly identical every time. A little variety would make it more believable
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

...in your ass.
Page / 795
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top