BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:41:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:42:43 PM EDT
[#2]
What's wrong with jig??......oh I get it now.

I'm going to go clean the coffee off of my computer screen now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I get the master/slave thing

But I don't really see the issue with all the other names
View Quote
I'm with ya. What the fuck is wrong with jig?

Edit. "Jigaboo"? Really?

I honestly have no idea how to be upset by what things are named. It's retarded.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:45:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

But I don’t really see the issue with all the other names
View Quote

I don't see an with master/slave, it describes the components mode of operation.  The entire play on our language needs be stopped.

This is petty bullshit for maladjusted people that actually need some psychological help.  

Their mind is either in the gutter or they are a self loathing milquetoast.

Normal people do not analyze words to find whet derogatory meaning they could possibly have then want them banned.

Key word there, normal.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

We had a whole department called "Jig and Fixture", because they made the jigs and fixtures.
View Quote

I have a whole pallet rack full of jigs and fixtures, make them all the time. I can dance a jig too
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Intel did that two years ago, they did let us keep using the terms "black box" and "white box" for test suites that (black box) didn't know what was being tested, and (white box) did know what was being tested as they refer to being able to see into the 'box' (really the code module) under test. But yes, all references to 'master/slave' for communications protocols have supposed to have been renamed, though most of the documentation on server communications and I2C/SMBUS are still using master/slave terms.
View Quote

and most of the engineers who've been around longer than 10 minutes (especially those from APAC) still use the commonly accepted terms which are now verboten.  I'm still waiting for someone to correct me, lol!

I was in one meeting where the term "grandfathered" was used, and then we had to have a 5 minute discussion about the word.

Yay productivity.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:49:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Can we still use the terms nipples, stopcocks, bung plugs, and dope?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#8]
What about male/female connectors?  Is a wire nut a non-binary connector?  Why aren't trans people equally represented in the world of connectors?

Thankfully my people will never need to deal with this fucking nonsense.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can I still cut wire with a pair of dykes?

View Quote

I walked into the control room one day and went over to Chief and asked him if he had a pair of dykes because we were working on some wiring in the back.  He got this funny look and stared over the board.  Yep, two bull dykes standing there.  One said what did you ask for"?  I said a pair of dykes, wire cutters.  She was like oh, I thought you meant something else.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#10]
That's retarded.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Legally change first name to Jig, make them loose their minds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I had alway referred to wire cutters as dikes.  Until a buddy of mine that works with a DOD contractor said they were not allowed to call them that any more. He said they had to call them side cutters or diagonal cutters.

I told him that was gay
View Quote

The politically correct term is lesbians. Used in a sentence: Hey apprentice, hand me my pair of lesbians...
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:59:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Edit. "Jigaboo"? Really?

I honestly have no idea how to be upset by what things are named. It's retarded.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit. "Jigaboo"? Really?

We have Jig grinders.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
What about male/female connectors?  Is a wire nut a non-binary connector?  Why aren't trans people equally represented in the world of connectors?

View Quote

I've used male to male connectors before, female to female too if that counts for anything.

Wonder how long before FAG bearings has to change their name?

We make a part for one customer called a nipple reducer, the chick in purchasing giggles every time she orders some for some reason.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:01:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:02:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Can we still have bastard files?
View Quote

Only on retarders...
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:04:59 PM EDT
[#18]
We have a tool at work called a Donkey Dick on a Stick.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:09:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Electrical Engineers and software developers sometimes deal with "race conditions".
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Electrical Engineers and software developers sometimes deal with "race conditions".
View Quote

And they’re actively purging those terms. It’s all the way down to some really low level stuff and not backwards compatible.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Never realized before that “dikes” is a combination of the words “diagonal cutters”.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...because new fluorescent lighting has gone the way of the dodo
View Quote

Thank God.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm just waiting to get yelled at for hooking up slave cables to a truck
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't see diagonal cutters there.

eta Now I see 'em.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:21:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I wonder when the Army and Air Force will get rid of that racist ass master sergeant rank.

Primary Sergeant!!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:21:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the software company where I worked had uneven code quality turned over to the test team.

They rated the quality of each build using terms which probably wouldn't be allowed today.

aborted/abortion - a build which was delayed because of problems
Stillborn - wouldn't compile correctly
Brain damaged - compiles but crashes easily
Crippled - a few tests would run, but the developers should be embarrassed.
Hobbled - mostly works but has a few obvious defects.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:22:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Trinidad State told me the same thing. We had these "slaves" that supported a rifle when part of it was off the workbench.  They were adjustable in height so it could be suited for your bench/vise and the object.  Can't call them slaves anymore.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:23:28 PM EDT
[#28]
In the Fire Service, we have an "appliance" called a water thief. Wonder how long till the criminals are offended and they want that term dropped.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:28:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Female plug connector

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#30]
There isn't a race on this planet that hasn't been enslaved.

This looking for a problem shit is out of hand.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Redoing an entire language because liberal white women think a fraction of 13% of the population might be offended.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I guess they are saying jig is now a bad word, but no idea what's "wrong" with the last 3 on the list
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess they are saying jig is now a bad word, but no idea what's "wrong" with the last 3 on the list

What other meaning does jig have besides the common ones? I can’t think of an offensive meaning.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#33]
It's no longer a Master Bedroom. It's an Owner's Suite.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:08:07 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#35]
When I worked at a large car rental company we referred to putting on a set of handicap hand controls as putting" hand controls on Bobo." I bet that has changed
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:12:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I've used male to male connectors before, female to female too if that counts for anything.

We make a part for one customer called a nipple reducer, the chick in purchasing giggles every time she orders some for some reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe we're missing the boat on this and we could be profiting off of this woke silliness.  Start a company selling gender/race/hierarchy/etc neutral products that are just the same products with new stickers on the tags for inflated prices.

"Here's your they/them connector set (49 cent 2 wire connector), that'll be $50 and we donate 1% of profits to the color of your choice on the rainbow flag."
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:12:41 PM EDT
[#37]

TRIGGERED!!!

And wait till they find out the meaning of MOSI and MISO!!!  OH LAWD!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:14:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Never forget my boss explaining a three way switch to a black couple homeowners.

'This one is the uh uh master.  And this one is the uh um huh slave.'
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
How about "Irish jig"?

Is that somehow now racist?

View Quote

Nope just a fine American mess

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
How about male & female pipe fittings?

Auto parts stores still use Master/Slave
View Quote

Female and male renaming would blow up everythign.

Nothing would make sense anymore.

Cats and dogs living together etc.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Intel did that two years ago, they did let us keep using the terms "black box" and "white box" for test suites that (black box) didn't know what was being tested, and (white box) did know what was being tested as they refer to being able to see into the 'box' (really the code module) under test. But yes, all references to 'master/slave' for communications protocols have supposed to have been renamed, though most of the documentation on server communications and I2C/SMBUS are still using master/slave terms.
View Quote

What about the 'white paper', did tthey change that, too?
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:26:13 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm reasonably sure that pretty much every vehicle on the road has a master/ slave cylinder for the hydraulic brake system.  I'm going to make a point of continuing to use those terms when applicable.  I'm completely over all of this woke DEI nonsense.  There is nothing wrong with referring to mechanical systems as master/ slave in the appropriate context.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:28:08 PM EDT
[#43]
Few years ago, my platoon Sgt (black female E7) made a comment about how she hated the term "slave cable." We were a maintenance company, mind you...in central Florida...so she rightfully got a lot of looks. But last I had heard, they changed the name and they're no longer called slave cables. Because muh feelings.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
When discussing boilers, we have also always referred to boilers paired together as “master and slave”

I never really thought about it until a customer said something.

She wasn’t mad or anything she just mentioned or asked why we refer to it like that.

Since then we refer to it as primary and secondary.

Not because I give a shit about work terminology but because I like to sell boilers and tankless.

Yes. I care more about profits than what slang we use
View Quote

I heard a story- might have been here on Arfcom- about a computer network engineer for a middle-sized college. They wanted him to remove ALL references to "master and slave" drives! He said it took months to do so, and he made bank on it.

Only problem I would see is if they refused to give him written authorization to do so (and spend the buck$ to do so). Apparently he thought of that before I did.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Legally change first name to Jig, make them loose their minds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:35:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

But I don’t really see the issue with all the other names
View Quote

Well, for one... "jig" is shorthand for

Click To View Spoiler

which is a derogatory term for dark-skinned Americans whose ancestry comes from Africa.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:38:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am deeply offended by the terms "lock nut" and "cotter pin."
View Quote

The word "Service" is extremely offensive to me. "Service Station" and "Customer Service" are doubly so.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:40:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
How about "Irish jig"?

Is that somehow now racist?

View Quote

Well, "Black Irish" is a thing...
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Since the world is fully embraced insanity and degenerates, what about the dominatrix community?  Will they have to change the terms for master and slave as well?  They should be offended and make everyone go back to naming everything master and slave again.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

We have Jig grinders.
View Quote

Do they wear black bras under a 2X too small white t-shirt and smell like Newports?

Attachment Attached File

Depeche Mode - Master and Servant (Remastered)
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top