Site Notices
Your 15 Minutes of Fame? (Page 2 of 4)
Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:24:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I rung the bell in a bar in pattaya
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
When the 1998 Firestorms broke out in Florida, I was assigned to a Brush truck with a local volunteer driver.

He knew the area, so he drove, I squirted water.

Turned out he was also a stringer for local news, and he had a professional grade video camera on the seat next to him.

So we spent 17 hours racing from one head fire outbreak to the next, stopping only for fuel & water.

Every time we stopped and I started fighting fire, he picked up the camera.

He got a ton of unbelievable fire footage, and was the only camera on the front lines.

So there I was, on every news channel locally, nationally, CNN, Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, you name it.

Ended up using video he took in an episode of Discovery Channels show “ Inferno”, and an hour long segment on National Geographic Explorer about the fires.

I was George Bortles unnamed partner….

Ended up in the hospital, temporarily blind because my corneas dehydrated.

Staring at fire all day up close is bad for eyeballs!

And if you ever get a chance to gave them re-hydrated by dropping a couple thousand bags of normal saline in them with those neat little devices they tape under your eyelids;

HARD PASS!
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkCreek] [#3]
I was in one of Luis Sinco's famous pictures taken during the second battle for Fallujah. Somewhere around here I have 4 CD's worth of his pictures he sent to a buddy of mine after we got back to Lejeune.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By UncleRemis:
My wife and I were on House Hunters. It was her idea. We were paid very little and actually lost money with having to adjust our work schedule around filming
View Quote

My wife loves that show so I’ve seen a fair bit of them. I’d love to hear some behind the scenes stories if you have any.

@UncleRemis
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By NWJohnny:
Held the shitter door open for Hulk Hogan, and got a "Hey thanks Brother!"
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4DUDE] [#6]
Originally Posted By @Unpierced:
Played in several bands in high school. Got signed to a small indie label. Recorded an album. Played Milwaukee Metal Fest in '97.  By middle of '98 I was done. Every once in a while I'll show the kids what I looked like with long hair.
View Quote

Bruh.

Played MMF in 1999.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By CTM1:
Mine was in 1990 while in college. My roommate, his friend, and I ran down a young thug who dragged a young girl who was walking to high school into the alley next to our house. It was a several block chase and we finally took him down inside a Delhi. The owner was flipping out as he had no idea what was going on until we told him to call 911 as the punk just tried to rape a young girl. Half the city cops showed up as they thought he was the guy raping young women in the city.

We made the city paper and local news and got a recognition letter from the University. My roommate did not pay for any beers at the bar for the rest of the year. I was still underage and missed out on free beer.

Police told us the guy was wanted on a warrant out of NYC and had been shot once before.  One officer asked us why we did not kick the crap out of the guy. We said we did not want to get in trouble, he laughed. I guess back in the day good Samaritans got a pass unlike today.
View Quote

My baby Hindu nothin
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:46:11 PM EDT
[#8]
There's news articles written about me. Still have some notoriety about it on other sites.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:48:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I sang on local tv a couple times, and had my name in the paper for my high school athletic prowess.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Did some really cool stuff that I can never talk about.

Hint, Tony Cowden was on my Team for a while.

18Z50
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My old neighborhood threw a block party for me after I got back from Desert Storm, and they presented me with the US Flag they had all taken turns flying at their homes during the conflict. The local news showed up and asked me a few questions. It was kind of surreal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I took a leak in the Capitol in the urinal next to Bill Frist back when he was Majority Leader.
Shook Dick Cheney's hand on board the USS Eisenhower.  It was like shaking a loaf of Wonder bread.
So yeah, I'm kind of a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#14]
If I never have to endure 15 minutes of fame and I stay out of the history books I can consider myself very fortunate. Job well done.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:56:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I was photographed for the front page for a mines Annual report.  Was an open pit mine and I was doing it's first underground stope for a feasibility study.
   First Mississippi Gold now Getchell Gold mine
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#16]
I was in az republic newpaper as a kid. There was a street festival and the fire department were letting kids spray water out of a hose. Local channel 12 Saturday news were there. I started spraying the reporter and took good aim at the camera crew. They were pissed and screaming at me. It was awesome.

Another time I was on a cooking show at that restaurant in phoenix where the top of the building rotates. I think it was the hyatt. Its still there today. I was asked to crack the eggs for french toast. Lots of shell went into those eggs. This was in 1990. It was on local pbs channel 8
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:10:30 AM EDT
[#17]
In the 80s I was in the local paper playing with my dog, Choco, in the snow.  

My neighbor was a photographer for the paper.   His wife was a straight bitch

True story
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:18:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DasRonin] [#18]
Back in the 1980s... Live on Amercia's Most Wanted pretending to be "working a phone" behind John Walsh. Chatted and joked with him between live segments. Prior to that I had dropped off cases to be submitted a number of times.

Short "cameos" with close-ups on Discovery Channel... one of me shooting my AR in the agency range I was the Rangemaster over.

My first brush with television fame was in the early 1960s on a local Kansas Cuty TV show called "Tory and Old Gus" sponsored Saturday morning cartoons when my Cub Scout troop was the weekly on camera "live audience".
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:18:36 AM EDT
[#19]
My wife was on a western wear commercial in her late teens before we married. I remember it well. Wish I had a recording.

There were several good looking young ladies but she did this silly spin and shoot with her finger then blew on it. I could watch it over and over.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:25:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I modeled some jeans in an advertisement for a local magazine in high school.  I got a free pair of jeans out of the deal.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Not like some of you all but I made the Boone and Crockett all time book in 1992. Personal best in our hunting groups.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:37:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Twitchy] [#22]
I was in an article written by Evan Wright in a Rolling Stones magazine.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:45:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Back in the late 90's I did a cooking segment on Good Morning Texas with the original cast of Sesame Street watching me.
I told Maria (Sonia Manzano) that I had a crush on her when I was a young boy, and she gave me a kiss on the cheek.
That same year Fabio fed me a chocolate dipped strawberry on live TV because I dared him to do it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By doc540:
Laurel Canyon 1972

Our trio band visited the Canyon home of DOORS producer, Paul Rothchild, and auditioned for him.

He likee our original music and asked us to bring him a full band.

After two days and three nights of a bat food binge, I realized the lifestyle would kill me.

Quit the band, called a cab, took AmTrak back home south from Los Angeles and gave up the idea of ever being a rock star.

Ok, it was more than 15 minutes, but not by much.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/183309/rothschild-morrison-3200896.jpg
View Quote

That's a great story, am well aware of Paul Rothchild.

There's a book called Bars, Bands and Rock n' Roll by Chas Madonio. It's about the NE Ohio/Kent, Ohio band scene of the 1960s and 1970s. Joe Walsh wrote the introduction.

I'm mentioned as well as my band on pages 136 and 137. And a few other places in the book.

Not sure if any of that is fame but it was a great experience for a teenager.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:51:28 AM EDT
[#25]
With the help of Amber alert tips, I recovered a 3 year old girl from another state and arrested the dirtbag that abducted her.  I was interviewed by all three major networks.  I tried to pawn it off on the Chief.  He said nope, I did it and I get to talk to them.  Ended up on national news.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#26]
In 1999, about 3 years into my career in fire/EMS, my city had a large brush fire west of town that got whipped up by high and erratic winds.  Embers basically went all over the west part of town, igniting more random fires over a 2400 acre rural/urban interface area, burning random homes.... Like fire bombs were being dropped at random over that part of town.
Turned into a 4 day event with all 3 shifts of our entire department called in, and fire crews from all over Florida coming to assist.
I had just got off work, and happened upon the command post completely by accident before the rest of the department was called in.... I was put on a truck, and sent out into the fray.
I had parked my truck on the side of a road, right behind one of our captains from another shift (Who actually went on to be the Fire Chief years later).
My truck was an old rusty Toyota PU, and his was a new Dodge RAM (I think)... I remember it was new, and it was white.

My truck was on CNN, and all the other news networks several times.
It was the backdrop for a few: "Live from the command post." news reports...
And, then it was in a few: "Live from where the command post was, before the fire forced it to relocate." news reports...
And finally, it was in a: "This truck is the only thing to survive the fire taking over this area where the command post used to be." news report...LoL

I didn't know about it being on the news until my family told me.
After 3 and a half days fighting the fire, me and that captain were given a ride back to our vehicles... We found everything except my truck burned to the ground, including HIS truck and several other vehicles.
I was like.  "So...umm...You need a ride home"?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cb4017:
With the help of Amber alert tips, I recovered a 3 year old girl from another state and arrested the dirtbag that abducted her.  I was interviewed by all three major networks.  I tried to pawn it off on the Chief.  He said nope, I did it and I get to talk to them.  Ended up on national news.
View Quote

Outstanding! Saving the 3 year old girl and arresting the dirtbag that abducted her alone is incredible, fame or no fame.

Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:07:40 AM EDT
[#28]
15 minutes? More like two minutes and thirty seconds. I had to do a live shot for Net 10 in Australia from the Branch Davidian standoff when my reporter (I was the producer) didn't make it back from the john.

Actually I had been a reporter and anchor in local and regional TV, but this was my first bit of international stardom.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:34:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UncleRemis] [#29]
So House Hunters is not scripted, but they encourage script. Also they only accept applicants who are already in the closing process. The 2 other home are staged decoys. For 4 full days of filming we were compensated $500 and lunch on those days. It was a very different experience for the both of us.

If you have any questions in particular feel free to shoot me a message. Cheers
S188 E12
@thezentree
Sorry for all the edits. The episode is available on HBO MAX , but they have it under season 188 episode 8 for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:33:18 AM EDT
[#30]
I was on a nationally syndicated show. About 10 years ago. I think it's been cancelled now though. The clip of me was recently back on TikTok, but not because of me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#31]
When Barrett signed the M107 contract for the Army at the shop, there were a slew of Generals and Nashville TV stations there.

I took the brass and hangers on to the range and let them fire a few rounds through the rifle.

Then each TV reporter got their chance to do a recorded spot for broadcast at their 6pm spot. I was interviewed about the build process and firing the rifles. Each reporter then got to do fire 2 or 3 rds through the rifle.

I was on the local Nashville stations each night for 3 or 4 nights. The Fox17 woman reporter was hot as hell. After she fired her few rounds, she stood up then came over to me and whispered in my ear "I think I left a wet spot in the floor".
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:47:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By 50cal:
When Barrett signed the M107 contract for the Army at the shop, there were a slew of Generals and Nashville TV stations there.

I took the brass and hangers on to the range and let them fire a few rounds through the rifle.

Then each TV reporter got their chance to do a recorded spot for broadcast at their 6pm spot. I was interviewed about the build process and firing the rifles. Each reporter then got to do fire 2 or 3 rds through the rifle.

I was on the local Nashville stations each night for 3 or 4 nights. The Fox17 woman reporter was hot as hell. After she fired her few rounds, she stood up then came over to me and whispered in my ear "I think I left a wet spot in the floor".
View Quote
Tennessee women are the best ain't they?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Spaceboy:
Tennessee women are the best ain't they?
View Quote

Hell yeah!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:59:35 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Unpierced:
Played in several bands in high school. Got signed to a small indie label. Recorded an album. Played Milwaukee Metal Fest in '97.  By middle of '98 I was done. Every once in a while I'll show the kids what I looked like with long hair.
View Quote

What band?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:04:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I'm Facebook friends with a famous actor I met in this board.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:08:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I once started a thread on ar15.com that went to 5 pages.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:20:28 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:20:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Unnamed submarine off an unnamed island in the Med. The President of Italy came aboard with his entourage and rode us to the mainland. Our CO always wanted a senior ICman and Electrician on the bridge as phone talkers in case the SHTF on the maneuvering watch. Myself and the Electrician were banished to the bridge access trunk for the dog and pony show in the bridge.

So we’re standing there in the frame bays off to the side of the ladder and up comes the President of Italy inches away. The funniest part was underneath was an O-6 guiding his feet into the rungs of the ladder; we locked eyes for a second and he silently gave me that “fuck you” look, I busted out laughing.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:21:07 AM EDT
[#40]
IDK - I was in a “Gator Growl” video in 1988. Doesn’t mean anything unless you know anything about University of Florida.

I was a Disney World Jungle Cruise Skipper for 5 years

Beyond that, I avoid drawing attention to myself.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:33:11 AM EDT
[#41]
In 1978, I won the skeet shooting competition on a Royal Caribbean cruise, out shooting 6 other guys from the aft of the ship…a few hundred people were watching from higher up and they applauded me! 🤣
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:45:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dsteelman] [#42]
My platoon won the Canadian Army Trophy in 1987 .

First American platoon to win it

Got to meet lots of generals after that , met the secdef too.

I’ve still got he video of all the AFN news reports on it . I really need to get it on dvd . It’s all on the Internet now too .

As an added bonus the division commander let us keep Bill the Cat on the tanks after the shoot was over

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:48:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Did some really cool stuff that I can never talk about.

Hint, Tony Cowden was on my Team for a while.

18Z50
View Quote

I get it brother. “quiet professionals” still means something in parts of the ARMY. I know one group of individuals under SOCOM’s umbrella who seems to ETS and write a book about it shortly thereafter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:33:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: d16man] [#44]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#45]
In 1986 I was investigated by the FBI
for months....

To get a security clearance
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:39:04 AM EDT
[#46]
I was on a popular reality show for several episodes in the early 90's.  As a result of that, I was on Maury Povich show related to the topic.  I was on a VH1 show called "Behind the Scenes."  I was on numerous radio talk shows all related to the reality show.  I had a semi-popular progressive rock band in the 2000's write a song titled my first and last name because of all this.

I am not in show business but most here would know who I am.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:43:16 AM EDT
[#47]
I was in a British fashion magazine. I was walking from a job site in lower Manhattan to my bike (all black Harley) and there was a photographer taking pictures of a model in a long dress. He first asked if they could include my bike in the shoot; I said yes. Next, if she could sit on the bike; I said yes. Then if she could sit on the back with me in the front; I said yes.

As he was taking pictures, I turned around to look and he said "turn around. You're not featured here." They sent me a copy of the magazine and gave me $20, and my family now uses the phrase "turn around. You're not featured here."
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:46:59 AM EDT
[#48]
I was on a local commercial shooting a RPD once lol
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:49:06 AM EDT
[#49]
My dog found an 81 year old woman SaR and i was on TV for the interview.

My company told me any time i wanted to leave for it to do so.

I thanked my company for the ability to leave when paged and they got so much great feedback revenue increased 25%

They sponsored me for SaR and bought me a new truck designed to hold two dogs with climate control etc..

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#50]
I was on a radio show, station 99.5 in Lubbock Texas in the mid 90s called Desparate and Dateless along with my friend. His mom signed us up as a gag. She had a friend that worked for the radio station and he put us on. It was interesting and we got ALOT of women calling in to the show when they heard us say we were military on leave visiting family. We both hooked up with quite a few of them over the next couple of weeks.
Page / 4
Your 15 Minutes of Fame? (Page 2 of 4)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top