Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A guy I know is paralyzed from the waist down. He had a pump put in so he could get an erection. He got in a bathtub, used a scalpel to cut a ring around his dick, inserted Mardi Gras beads, and sewed himself up. He swears it drives women crazy. That's his story anyway.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The domino thing......
Apparently that's a thing in prison. Carve object into a shape. Playboy bunny, hearts, whatever, then surgically implant them under the skin of the penis.
I worked with a few felons who described the operation in detail.
A guy I know is paralyzed from the waist down. He had a pump put in so he could get an erection. He got in a bathtub, used a scalpel to cut a ring around his dick, inserted Mardi Gras beads, and sewed himself up. He swears it drives women crazy. That's his story anyway.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Year and a half ago, I was in enough pain that my wife insisted on taking me to
the emergency room.
it was a Saturday morning and I was dressed as I would normally have been, including a pair
of brightly patterned socks.  I am convinced those socks got me more attention and even expedited
treatment
. Everyone, from the first person I saw, nurses, CT scan crew, to X-ray tech, doctor,
noticed and commented on my socks. Each was independent from the others. It was odd.

Ailment turned out to be a kidney stone.
View Quote
Link to purchase said socks, please.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 7:56:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Hospital ER in Laurel, MD. Wife had non-specific abdominal pain. We're back in one of the treatment areas and we hear a banging sound
from the next area over. BANG! "Stop it!". BANG! BANG! "Stop!". I take a look. Some white trash dude is on a gurney slamming his
forearm hard into the railing. BANG! White trash female companion scolding him. "Stop it!". Dude says "Ah'm gonna break my arm and
den dey give me painkillers". BANG! BANG! "Stop!".

Ordinarily I would been content to let dude injure himself, but the drama was freaking out my wife. I took a walk down the hall and told
a nurse what was going on. I kind of thought she wouldn't believe me, but she got pissed and took off straight for the dude. We could hear
her convincing him it was in his best interest to cut that shit out quick.
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 8:36:32 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad was a rural ER doc for years. In a small town, you learn who the drug seekers are really quickly. He had one who would come in regularly for back pain, headaches, etc. He offered her Toradol and muscle relaxers which she always refused. One time, after a typical visit and denial of opioids, she went home and threw herself down the stairs, bruised most of her body and then came back to the ER and basically said, "Now will you give me some hydrocodone?"

Dad was about 20 hours into a 24 hour shift and wasn't in the mood. His response was basically, "get the hell out of my ER right now. If you come back, I'll have you arrested."

She left, unsatisfied, again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I entered ER at 1800 presenting severe abdominal pain. Passed out twice on the way.

Sat in waiting room for two hours. Laid on bed in exam room from 2000-0800. At least a large chested nurse was assigned to me. No explanation as to why I laid in exam room for 12 hours.

Same ER, wife was having gall bladder issues. Three trips in a week, they thought she was just coming in to get high. Angry words were exchanged, hurt feelings ensued.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 7:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not ER but within 24 hours, I had diarrhea from the food and shat on myself, the nurse took 20 minutes to find wet wipes and disposable absorbent panties, by which time I had taken a shower even though I was not supposed to get out of bed unsupervised.

That night after dinner my blood sugar was around 110, but the med tech insisted that I had to take insulin. I went into hypoglycemia 45 minutes before I could order breakfast. My blood sugar was in the mid 60s. The next day med tech tried to give me more insulin. We  ended up calling my attending who said he does not require insulin right now

They started me on gabapentin (that shit can make you hallucinate) I saw ants marching up and down the baseboards, and I couldn't read the food menu.

My day nurse came in to drip a bag of potassium hcl but managed not to get the saline hooked up right, she started the drip and walked out, by the time I got her back in there it was like I had molten lava from my fingertips to my shoulder.

I checked out AMA, I was afraid they might really try to kill me.
View Quote
I take gabapentin every night for sleep. Works wonders. I’ve never gotten visual hallucinations but I have definitely had weird experiences.

If something wakes me up around an hour after I fall asleep, I have a hard time knowing what’s real or not - or if I’m awake or not.

It makes for some pretty scary situations when I feel like a noise has startled me out of sleep. I can’t tell if it was real or not. Gabapentin is a weird drug but it does wonders for sleep.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 7:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
I met my wife in the ER.
Link Posted: 3/19/2018 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I take gabapentin every night for sleep. Works wonders. I’ve never gotten visual hallucinations but I have definitely had weird experiences.

If something wakes me up around an hour after I fall asleep, I have a hard time knowing what’s real or not - or if I’m awake or not.

It makes for some pretty scary situations when I feel like a noise has startled me out of sleep. I can’t tell if it was real or not. Gabapentin is a weird drug but it does wonders for sleep.
View Quote
For sleep and neuropathy, it was great, the other side effects were too much.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@ClayP
What does Octopus mean in this sentence?
View Quote
his lower jaw was gone and all that was left was strings of flesh that looked like tentacles. He put the barrel under his chin and I'm guessing the gas pushed his head back far enough that the wadding didn't penetrate the brain and just blew out the front of his face below the eyes
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
.22LR handgun ND'ed into thigh.

No bleeding, Entry wound looked like a dog bite puncture.
He was actually able to still walk easily with pain only upon palpation of the medial Knee.

This was Wednesday, First Patient of the shift lol

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/363148/image-484331.JPG

White BB to mark the entry wound. Slug is beside the knee

Edit: Not a Nurse, EMT-Intermediate student
View Quote
Looks about like my wife's cousin a few years ago. Wanted to kill a squirrel but it ran into a hole in a tree. Climbed up, wrapped his legs around the tree to hold on, stuck his .17HMR in the hole and shot. Don't know if he got the squirrel but it went through the tree and into his leg. He shot his dog through the nose with the same rifle trying to shoot a raccoon it was chasing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:12:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Does the delivery room count? I was watching my first son gettin' berfed, but he was reluctant to join the party. The MD opted to pull him out with a new tool they had. They were going to use a vacuum device on his head. Good thing I was there, as nobody had any experience with their new technology. It was the exact same MightyVac I used back then to bleed brakes. I showed them how to assemble it. Had I not been present, I suppose it's possible my son would still be in there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They have a great TV show about this

Untold Stories of the ER
View Quote
Yep. Guy comes in missing an arm. "I was at the bus stop minding my own business and two guys with scimitars attacked me".

Next bay over, guy with several cuts and same story.

Pretty soon cops come in with an arm. "Where did you get that?"
"Back at the house where he left it."

Two more guys come in with cuts. "Let me guess, guys with scimitars."

"Uh, sort of. We're the guys with the scimitars."

Turns out the first two were with a third, who had a gun. Tried to rob the last two guys' house. Saw swords on the wall, took them down and started playing swordfight. Guy with the gun got embarrassed and left, homeowners fought back, took the swords away and cut off a robber's arm.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I saw a doc in a really rural ED looking up how to do a chest tube on YouTube.
View Quote
I have seen docs at a Trauma 1 ER do the same
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:39:36 PM EDT
[#14]
I went about 4 years ago on a Saturday. My left arm was swollen from the elbow to the fingers. I was having a gout attack and I just wanted some Colcrys (colchicine).

After waiting several hours I was finally seen and my elbow was iced and I was told to keep it elevated. Their major concern was the swelling of my ring finger, since I still wore my wedding band and they were worried about blood flow.

A few hours later, swelling was down enough for them to cut-off the wedding band. The resident had never done this, and he pulled out tools that looked a lot like dental tools. A low speed drill, a curved shield to put between my finger and the ring (to keep from cutting my finger), and an irrigation syringe (a plastic syringe filled with water). I operated the syringe and to keep the area moist -- the biggest concern was heat from friction.

The system got too hot just once but we got the ring off and they gave me some colchicine until I could see my rheumatologist. All for only $1800 (I should have gone to a jeweler!). The expense was especially galling because the ER was filled with "immigrants."
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I was waiting in the ER for a family member with minor issues when a mid-20s dude gets carried in by two of his friends, he looks like he just got ran through an industrial belt sander. Head to toe abrasions, clothes shredded/ripped and dirt and grime everywhere, missing one of his shoes. Bleeding all over the place.

Evidently he was on a motorcycle with no armor, dumped his bike, then got ran over by a truck. Sounded a lot like a "stupid games, stupid prizes" situation.

He turns to me and asks me how I'm doing. "Better than you!"

They rushed him right in.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 12:55:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought my appendix had ruptured last February and had my wife take me to the ER. We get to the counter and they start expediting the process to get me in when some human garbage gets rolled in on a wheelchair, slumped over and drooling all over himself.

Of course, they knew him on a first name basis. "Larry, Larry...how many pills have you taken today? The same as before or is it different this time?" and they had hospital security accompany him and his Spongebob pajama-wearing woman into the back while the whole front desk was just annoyed he was there again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Guy had half a pool cue stuck up his ass. Was brought in by his friend. Both big bubba types in a white “nice” part of town. Friend was sobbing hard saying it was all his fault
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:06:07 PM EDT
[#18]
After my friend died in a motorcycle accident his mom's neighbor couldn't handle it and went to the ER parking lot with a blender. Dude cut his dick and balls off, blended them and walked in. Needless to say he has been under state care since then and was diagnosed with paranoia schizophrenia
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yep. Guy comes in missing an arm. "I was at the bus stop minding my own business and two guys with scimitars attacked me".

Next bay over, guy with several cuts and same story.

Pretty soon cops come in with an arm. "Where did you get that?"
"Back at the house where he left it."

Two more guys come in with cuts. "Let me guess, guys with scimitars."

"Uh, sort of. We're the guys with the scimitars."

Turns out the first two were with a third, who had a gun. Tried to rob the last two guys' house. Saw swords on the wall, took them down and started playing swordfight. Guy with the gun got embarrassed and left, homeowners fought back, took the swords away and cut off a robber's arm.
View Quote
Bro you could chop a camel right in the hump and drink all of its milk right off the tip of this thing
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:35:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Heroin up the ass

Cocaine in penis (in a plastic bag)

Six large balls up someone's ass (gave them go lytely till they shit them out.  Almost didn't get the last one)

Razor blades up the ass from part of a gang thing

Failed suicides

I could go on for days
View Quote
FUCK THAT NOISE !!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a radical nephrectomy almost four years ago (kidney cancer).  A couple of weeks later when I went back to see the surgeon, he took my staples out of my incision, which was located near my navel.    Fast forward a couple of days later:  I was lying in bed and turned over.  I felt a "pop".  Somehow, I managed to reopen my incision.  I was home alone.  So, I grabbed a clean washcloth, put it over my open incision, and duct taped the whole thing together.  I called my sister to take me to the ER.  When I got to the ER I told them what happened.  Word quickly spread and every nurse in the ER came into my room to ask if I really duct taped my incision closed.  They thought it was the funniest damn thing.  My doctor still chuckles about it when I go in for scans every six months.  I thought about sending the story to Duck (R) Brand to see if they would spot me a couple of free rolls.

Link Posted: 4/5/2018 1:50:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Not me but a friend of mine who worked in an ER said that they brought in a guy who was the victim of a car bombing.  He had lost both legs above the knee.  When he came in his legs looked like the end of a mop, all shredded.  Gross.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Wife went into the ER and they offered her morphine.  She declined it twice.  It showed up on our billing statement as three doses administered.  When she goes in to the hospital, I keep her company, and write things down like the name of the doctors, and nurses, what time people show up, when they take her for X-rays/CT etc.  So I had recorded the times when they offered her the morphine.  (I used to work in LE and have some lingering trust/CYA issues)

When I called the hospital to dispute the claim, they argued until I provided names, times, and other pertinent info.  They agreed to remove the charges, but insisted on backing up the nurse.  The local DEA office was much more interested in my information than the hospital administrator was.  Someone there was stealing narcotics.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I was in with a torn acl and meniscus. This lady filled up a garbage can projectile vomiting. This was after she puked all of the entrance, all over the sign in counter and everything in between. The finally gave her some big pads like dog training piss pads so she could just hurl on the ground. I couldnt leave and i was no longer worried about me knee, i was afraid whatever she had was gonna kill us all.
View Quote
Was there a RED BALL!!!
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 2:54:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Ben Taub!!!   AKA the knife and gun club!

Say what you will, but it's a great place to get shot or stabbed because they are usually on top of their game from practice.

That's where I was first introduced to The Theory of Inverse Worth AKA the tooth to tattoo ratio for survival estimates.
View Quote
Explain...
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Explain...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ben Taub!!!   AKA the knife and gun club!

Say what you will, but it's a great place to get shot or stabbed because they are usually on top of their game from practice.

That's where I was first introduced to The Theory of Inverse Worth AKA the tooth to tattoo ratio for survival estimates.
Explain...
As it's was explained to me, once the # of tats exceeds the # of teeth, the odds of survival go up.

Let's look at Bob the methbilly as an example. Bob has 3 teeth and 87 tattoos. Bob will survive nearly anything, but never pay a bill.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:02:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Illegal alien managed to cut off his thumb & pinkie with a circular saw & he had a gash across his palm between the two.
Taxpayer won again...
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:10:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
As it's was explained to me, once the # of tats exceeds the # of teeth, the odds of survival go up.

Let's look at Bob the methbilly as an example. Bob has 3 teeth and 87 tattoos. Bob will survive nearly anything, but never pay a bill.
View Quote
This is an excellent description. Teeth:tattoo ratio should always be greater than one. If it's less than one, you're a dirtbag. As such, you're much more likely to survive things that kill normal people. Keith Richards might be an example of this.

And dirtbags are much more likely to survive events that would kill a normal person. For example, the coked-out drunk driver who drives wrong way on the freeway while not wearing his seatbelt will crash into the minister/army veteran/pediatrician (or another person of high worth to society). The minister will be killed, as will most of his family, leaving only a 3 year old child behind, despite all of them being buckled, driving the speed limit, and generally being law abiding good guys.

DUI-coke boy will be ejected from the car, thrown free and sustain a couple of scrapes on his arms. (He will, of course, require massive amounts of morphine and dilaudid to control his non-existent injuries).
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Wife had a surprisingly bad asthma attack so we ended up in the ER for a nebulizer.  She was on the puffer and could breathe again, so we were just waiting for the treatment to finish up and we could be on our way.

A few bays down though, some shit was goin down.  

From what we could hear (which was eeeeeverything), a young kid had woken up in a room with a bat flying around.  They were trying to begin the rabies series.  Kid was having none of it and was full on MELTING DOWN.  A younger doc was trying to explain, to reason with this howling child.  Kid is screaming, "GET AWAY FROM ME!! NO!  YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL ME!! YOU'RE GONNA KILL ME!! I'M GONNA DIE!!"  Doc says, "No honey, I need to give you this shot so you DON'T die!"

Without missing a beat, the kid switches to, "NO GET AWAY FROM ME!! I WANNA DIE!"

Some big Nurse Ratched type came storming down the hall, the floor reverberating under her rubinesque form, right past us.  Heard her yell at the doc, "GIMMIE THAT!" Then, "HOLD STILL, YOU!"

*ow!*

and then *thud-thud-thud* as Nurse Ratched stormed back to whatever corner of hell she called home.

Then there was the time when I chopped myself in the leg with a machete.  That gets you to the front of the line.    Explained the story to a hospital employee (charge nurse?), a woman with a pronounced east indies accent, who punched it all into the computer.  When she finished, she spun around and said, "You know Mr. Weenston, I been usin a machete since I was a little girl, I never chopped myself in the leg with one.  I think maybe, Mr. Weenston, that there's maybe some people who aren't.. culturally suited to usin a machete, and I think you might be one of those."

The doc seemed to enjoy himself quite a bit with me that day.  I suppose a nice machete wound is a rarity in those parts and it was probably a great change of pace from drug seekers, runny noses, and the usual ER nonsense.  Could've about stuck a baseball in the wound before they sewed it up.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

When I called the hospital to dispute the claim, they argued until I provided names, times, and other pertinent info.  They agreed to remove the charges, but insisted on backing up the nurse.  The local DEA office was much more interested in my information than the hospital administrator was.  Someone there was stealing narcotics.
View Quote

ETA: I would not be surprised to learn that it happens all the damn time at hospitals.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Then there was the time when I chopped myself in the leg with a machete.  That gets you to the front of the line.    Explained the story to a hospital employee (charge nurse?), a woman with a pronounced east indies accent, who punched it all into the computer.  When she finished, she spun around and said, "You know Mr. Weenston, I been usin a machete since I was a little girl, I never chopped myself in the leg with one.  I think maybe, Mr. Weenston, that there's maybe some people who aren't.. culturally suited to usin a machete, and I think you might be one of those."
View Quote
Using a machete = cultural appropriation.  I think with that, we have reached the outer limits of the internet.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:16:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Using a machete = cultural appropriation.  I think with that, we have reached the outer limits of the internet.
View Quote
The evidence at hand did rather support her conclusion.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#33]
My worst experience in the ER was when I was a LEO. We somehow got looped into holding down a violent suicidal nutcase (who had cut himself up and swallowed a bunch of pills) while the ER docs tried to force charcoal down the guy's throat and sew him up.

He fought the whole time and it was... messy. VERY messy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:04:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She was hilarious. That was an excellent zinger.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:06:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My worst experience in the ER was when I was a LEO. We somehow got looped into holding down a violent suicidal nutcase (who had cut himself up and swallowed a bunch of pills) while the ER docs tried to force charcoal down the guy's throat and sew him up.

He fought the whole time and it was... messy. VERY messy.
View Quote
I have done that twice as an EMT. Makes a hell of a mess when they fight. They ought to administer a paralytic. If you can run an NG tube and an ET tube at the same time, I dunno.

ETA: When I helped do this (same doc both times) the charcoal went in through the NG tube and contents came out the same way. In theory.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 12:57:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wife had a surprisingly bad asthma attack so we ended up in the ER for a nebulizer.  She was on the puffer and could breathe again, so we were just waiting for the treatment to finish up and we could be on our way.

A few bays down though, some shit was goin down.  

From what we could hear (which was eeeeeverything), a young kid had woken up in a room with a bat flying around.  They were trying to begin the rabies series.  Kid was having none of it and was full on MELTING DOWN.  A younger doc was trying to explain, to reason with this howling child.  Kid is screaming, "GET AWAY FROM ME!! NO!  YOU'RE TRYING TO KILL ME!! YOU'RE GONNA KILL ME!! I'M GONNA DIE!!"  Doc says, "No honey, I need to give you this shot so you DON'T die!"

Without missing a beat, the kid switches to, "NO GET AWAY FROM ME!! I WANNA DIE!"

Some big Nurse Ratched type came storming down the hall, the floor reverberating under her rubinesque form, right past us.  Heard her yell at the doc, "GIMMIE THAT!" Then, "HOLD STILL, YOU!"

*ow!*

and then *thud-thud-thud* as Nurse Ratched stormed back to whatever corner of hell she called home.

The doc seemed to enjoy himself quite a bit with me that day.  I suppose a nice machete wound is a rarity in those parts and it was probably a great change of pace from drug seekers, runny noses, and the usual ER nonsense.  Could've about stuck a baseball in the wound before they sewed it up.  
View Quote
Funny you'd mention that. I've had a couple patients with machete wounds in the last month.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:00:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I have done that twice as an EMT. Makes a hell of a mess when they fight. They ought to administer a paralytic. If you can run an NG tube and an ET tube at the same time, I dunno.

ETA: When I helped do this (same doc both times) the charcoal went in through the NG tube and contents came out the same way. In theory.
View Quote
Answer is: yes. Risk/benefit, or risk management departments don't always favor intubation for convenience.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think the docs don't sedate them out of fear of successfully completing the suicide with yet more drugs when they've OD'd on god knows what already...
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Answer is: yes. Risk/benefit, or risk management departments don't always favor intubation for convenience.
View Quote
Maybe if they actually visited the ER to see how much damage the PT is doing to themselves...
Nahh.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I think the docs don't sedate them out of fear of successfully completing the suicide with yet more drugs when they've OD'd on god knows what already...
View Quote
Not sedation, just paralysis.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:41:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We only get a few statements like these in our lifetime. They do tend to be fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No. Because no.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#43]
First of 4 trips to the ER for a bowel obstruction that would become a crohns diagnosis. That trip taught me that I am straight up immune to morphine... second trip for an obstruction I relayed that information to the nurse when they saw me... she looked at me like I was a druggie and administered morphine.. now I am in the room with my very cursing averse wife.. with a full load of morphine on board, pain still well past 11, going gunnery Sargent Hartman on the nurse. 10 minutes after that I was given delaudid. Third trip, they skipped the morphine, I guess I made an impression.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 1:52:33 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

No. Because no.
View Quote
I always hated fighting restraining patients. My oldest son is now an ER nurse. He's not fond of it either.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 6:55:42 PM EDT
[#45]
I saw a kid with his finger cut off by one of those hats with a propeller on it when he was going down a playground slide. This was back in 1967. Mom brought him in with his finger wrapped up in a wash cloth. His mom set him down on the exam table I was sitting next to and then she opened up the washcloth to show the Corpsman who was attending to me.   At that point I thought my broken arm was a rather insignificant event.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:21:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Funny you'd mention that. I've had a couple patients with machete wounds in the last month.
View Quote
Were they culturally suited to using a machete?
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:36:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I had a radical nephrectomy almost four years ago (kidney cancer).  A couple of weeks later when I went back to see the surgeon, he took my staples out of my incision, which was located near my navel.    Fast forward a couple of days later:  I was lying in bed and turned over.  I felt a "pop".  Somehow, I managed to reopen my incision.  I was home alone.  So, I grabbed a clean washcloth, put it over my open incision, and duct taped the whole thing together.  I called my sister to take me to the ER.  When I got to the ER I told them what happened.  Word quickly spread and every nurse in the ER came into my room to ask if I really duct taped my incision closed.  They thought it was the funniest damn thing.  My doctor still chuckles about it when I go in for scans every six months.  I thought about sending the story to Duck (R) Brand to see if they would spot me a couple of free rolls.

https://www.duckbrand.com/images/about/2003-c17357503b.jpg
View Quote
Duct tape is the finest field dressing in the world.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:39:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Broke my ankle
Trying to snap a branch
Branch won, off to er,
Saturday night, er full
Guy passed out, girl with him was trimming his fingrnails a flyin, he woke and knocked er almost out, second punch I lunged and under rolled his chair with him in it to the floor.
He was quiet again
I was next in
I got some ovation like departure to xray
I never saw an er bill on the insurance
So there was that
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No........just no.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a duesy of a medical video on Liveleak.

Search for "Man 'gives birth' to a cucumber."
No........just no.
Brace yourself, toots. What follows isn’t for the weak of stomach. For starters, an awful lot of stuff has been found where that gerbil was found. The medical journals list, among other things, the following astonishing array: A bottle of Mrs. Butterworth’s syrup, an ax handle, a nine-inch zucchini, countless dildoes and vibrators including one 14-inch model complete with two D-cell batteries, a plastic spatula, a 9-1/2-inch water bottle, a deodorant bottle, a Coke bottle, a large bottle cap, numerous other bottles, a 3-1/2-inch Japanese glass float ball, an 11-inch carrot, an antenna rod, a 150-watt light bulb, a 100-watt frosted bulb, a cucumber, a screwdriver, four rubber balls, 72-1/2 jeweler’s saws (all from one patient, but not all at the same time, although 29 were discovered on one occasion), a paperweight, an apple, an onion, a plastic toothbrush package, two bananas, a frozen pig’s tail (it got stuck when it thawed), a ten-inch length of broomstick, an 18-inch umbrella handle and central rod, a plantain encased in a condom, two Vaseline jars, a whiskey bottle with a cord attached, a teacup, an oil can, a six-by-five-inch tool box weighing 22 ounces, a six-inch stone weighing two pounds (in the latter two cases the patients died due to intestinal obstruction), a baby powder can, a test tube, a ball-point pen, a peanut butter jar, candles, baseballs, a sand-filled bicycle inner tube, sewing needles, a flashlight, a half-filled tobacco pouch, a turnip, a pair of eyeglasses, a hard-boiled egg, a carborundum grindstone (with handle), a suitcase key, a syringe, a file, tumblers and glasses, a polyethylene waste trap from the U-bend of a sink, and much, much more. In 1955 one man who was “feeling depressed” reportedly inserted a six-inch paper tube into his rectum, dropped in a lighted firecracker, and blew a hole in his anterior rectal wall. This changed his mood real quick.

https://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/478/is-it-true-what-they-say-about-gerbils/
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Oh where to begin.

Guy comes in around noon with a vibrator in his ass, still running, from before midnight.   Went to OR. Never did hear what kind of batteries.

Had a crazy lady chase me down after i dumped out her urine sample.   She ran thru the ER naked after i gave her the cup.

Guy ran a circle saw into his leg.  Missed his artery by a hair as we were watching his heart beats.

Guy shows up after a MVC wigged out but talking.  PD is with him but he is not in custody.  PD says the guy has been holding his backpack and never lets go. He makes the comment he wishes he would just die.  Instant emergency detention for self harm. Security searches his bags but pt says "dont search that one". Loaded with street and prescription drugs from dozen people.  PD cites him and confinscates.  Drug test comes back flagging loads of stuff.  Grandma shows up (he wrecked her car) and proceeds to take his phone keys and kicks him out.   We cab him to homeless shelter.

I'll think of more.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top