Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/14/2022 9:48:19 PM EDT
The ongoing coverage of the war in Ukraine and discussion of air raid sirens there leads me to wonder whether we have air raid sirens in the U.S.?  Does your city or town have air raid sirens?
Here in north Texas we have regular storm / tornado sirens, but I have no idea at this time how an air raid siren would sound differently, if at all...
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Go big or go home...
Chrysler V8 Air Raid Siren. At "Big Daddy" Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes Florida city has air sirens. In the event of a Turkey point meltdown.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:54:35 PM EDT
[#3]
A bar at the beach town where I used to spend my summers had one.  Does that count?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:58:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Isn’t a tornado siren really the same thing.  Just an emergency siren
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
They use tornado sirens around here. They get tested every month on the first Wednesday at 1300
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#6]
New (Nuclear Evacuation Alarm) Sound Effect
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#7]
They took ours down after the USSR collapsed.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep, they go off e wry Tuesday at noon.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:10:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They use tornado sirens around here. They get tested every month on the first Wednesday at 1300
View Quote

Yep, same here.

They're also used for flash flood warnings.

Since the advent of alerts sent via cell phone, there's a lot less emphasis on sirens nowadays.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:10:50 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

They said that v8 powered siren could be heard for 25 miles. Holy smoke. There is a tornado siren about 7 miles away  in town and it cannot be heard from here. I could only imagine one that could be heard for 25 miles.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#11]
A few weeks back there was said to be air raid sirens plucked from the Midwest towns that still had them and they were to be installed in coastal towns & cities
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The little town down the highway from Dow Chemical has a monthly siren test to warn of a leak.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Same thing op

Yes every state has them, even commiefornia. Back during the cold war, they would test them once or twice a year.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I want one for my hood
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:15:14 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was stationed in Germany the German army had hand cranked air raid sirens that were mounted on a tripod and loud.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:17:02 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one.
Two siren bells on either end of a large 220V motor.
Damn thing is heavy and it is loud!
It came off of city hall when they discontinued the noon siren, it went out for bid and we got it...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:21:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Long Island is blanketed with fire departments - there is a siren on each fire house & they put them up on poles in the places that are a little further away from the buildings.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:21:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mondays at noon here.

I have a hand held air raid siren. It’s loud as hell, and I’ve been yelled at by my wife and kids for using it to ‘motivate’ lazy teens to get up some mornings.

Ear pro is your friend.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I have one.
Two siren bells on either end of a large 220V motor.
Damn thing is heavy and it is loud!
It came off of city hall when they discontinued the noon siren, it went out for bid and we got it...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/20962/Siren_JPG-2313783.JPG
View Quote

Solid!
Now mount it your truck…
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#20]
My home town still has one. Goes off 12 noon every day. Also goes off when the local fire dept. is dispatched.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:39:05 PM EDT
[#21]
This is the best of all the sirens:

Federal Signal 'Thunderbolt 1000T'

Thunderbolt 1000T Tornado Siren Test | December 21, 2011
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, but every time they use it the Volunteer Fire Department shows up.

ETA: My problem is I got nowhere to go.  I guess I could mount a green laser to my .308 and see if I get lucky, or see my sig line.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:55:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Not where I live, but my family owned a summer place in Westerly/Watch Hill RI and they had sirens that would go off.

We have chemical plants here that have them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:58:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9rRSY0dRIU
View Quote
That's pretty compact. I wonder how they do it.

Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:59:00 PM EDT
[#25]
We have tornado sirens here. Some are sirens and some are loudspeakers with recorded messages. They get tested the first Tuesday of the month.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:04:13 PM EDT
[#26]
There's something about sirens that make them cool yet eerie.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#27]
We have tornado sirens here, tested the first Wednesday of each month...

But would there be a different siren for air raids and incoming bombs falling?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I used to be a deputy in a county with a nuke plant. We had tornado sirens and separate nuclear sirens.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:10:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They took ours down after the USSR collapsed.
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#30]
The tornado siren is the civil defense/air raid siren in most places.  Different sound patterns to differentiate the different threats.  (Hi/Lo tone vs long continuous tone for example) Used to have a card with the tones "codes" when I was a kid...damned if I know what their meanings are today, just remember it was a thing.

ETA:  Found this online...  

Siren Tones

There are two different tones used by Outdoor Warning Sirens:
Attack: The signal for enemy attack is a rising and falling tone heard for 3 minutes.
Civil Emergency: The signal for a civil emergency (such as a tornado) is a steady wail heard for at least 3 minutes
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:19:43 PM EDT
[#31]
No air raid sires but we do have the siren at the local firehouse which goes off every day at noon. Of course that triggers my husky to howl along with it. Thankfully the old neighbors think it is funny as they are use to it but the new family behind are not amused. The knew guy also bitches that the husky jumps on the fence when he smells the guys little dog on the other side. I had to tell him my husky views his little dog as something to kill.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:30:39 PM EDT
[#32]
My area had them back in the 70s and 80s
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Remember, Steady Storm, Wavering War.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:32:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Isn’t a tornado siren really the same thing.  Just an emergency siren
View Quote

This. A constant wail (Alert tone) is for tornados, An up-down wail like......an air raid siren......is fir Air Raids, and IF you had high-low capability, Fire.

Lets take a look at a few, shall we?

This is an old Thunderbolt siren. It is rare to still see these around and in service. Definitely CD era. They came in 3 models: 1000(one frequency), 1000T(2 frequencies at same time, and 1003 (high/low capable) which was identifiable by solenoid boxes.
1000T

1003 with solenoid boxes. The solenoids cut off each individual rotor/stator assembly to produce high/low for Fire alert

Now a few recognizable sirens:
Federal Signal 2001: these are everywhere around here. Basically a glorified fire engine siren. 12-port design for a high pitch frequency. They have several iterations.
This as older one, no logo on center cone, and mesh screen over the front. 127 dB @ 100ft

Version after the previous. Also old now, big center cone and small FS logo.

Later version with big logo.

American Signal Tempest 128 (T-128): I always liked these because they look cool. 8 port design for a low pitch that better penetrates buildings and humidity in the air. Common in the south. 128 dB @ 100ft

Now the BIG BOY: American Signal T-135 These are also very popular. Longest range, loudest production siren for outdoor warning purpose. 10-port design, so in between the previous two. These thimgs sound wicked! 135 dB @ 100ft.

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:38:06 AM EDT
[#35]
We have a tsunami warning siren…
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:40:46 AM EDT
[#36]
No, but back in the 80s when I was in Californistan, there were sirens and they went off. Many cows were had.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
We have a tsunami warning siren…
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:45:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Now some other old sirens that you may still see. Getting rare though
ACA, now American Signal, made quite a few, Federal Signal madeca lot as well.

ACA Allertor: always looked to me like something out of a Dr.Seuss book. Front cone is air intake, top is the horn.

Federal Signal 2t22/3t22: stands for 2 or 3 tone, 22 horns. Top is a 12 port siren, bottom is a 10 port siren. The 3t22s also had solenoids to produce a high/low by opening/closing th3 air intake dampers. These sound wicked!

You can see the solenoid boxes on the left.

ACA Penetrator: You still see these around, CD era as well.

Sometimes they put up new sirens and never take down the old ones.

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:55:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Electronic Sirens
Some of these you see around too. They have the capability to produce many sounds, since they are giant speakers.

EOWS612: Electronic Outdoor Warning Siren. Very strange sound to this one. I had a firefighter get it to do Westminster Chimes once. Rare to see these anymore. They also had a 4 horn, and 8 horn version, but the six horn was most popular.

Federal Signal Modulator series. These came in varying heights and are still made today. Capable of voice control.

Now for THE MOST HATED sirens in the siren community, Whelan.
Whelan Vortex, aka The Mosquito. They sound like ass and dont even rotate a full 360.

Whelan 2800 series. Similar to the Modulator, also came in varying sizes.

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:58:47 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Remember, Steady Storm, Wavering War. High/Low = Fire
View Quote

This. Although towns around here staryed using air raid signal for tornados.

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 12:58:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh man!  

Years ago I was on top of a building downtown installing a air conditioner. This exact civil defense marked air raid siren was up there, checked with my meter it was powered up.

Pointed it at the ghetto and flipped the switches marked "chopper" and "blower"
The chopper was the noisemaker and the blower pushed compressed air thru the chopper, significantly raising the decibel level.  
It coughed out a huge cloud of rust and began to wail. Being 7:00 am I figured the ghetto would appreciate the early wake up.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:02:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
That's pretty compact. I wonder how they do it.

View Quote
The one I messed with had a large air compressor that sent compressed air up the center pole.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:13:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Oh man!  

Years ago I was on top of a building downtown installing a air conditioner. This exact civil defense marked air raid siren was up there, checked with my meter it was powered up.

Pointed it at the ghetto and flipped the switches marked "chopper" and "blower"
The chopper was the noisemaker and the blower pushed compressed air thru the chopper, significantly raising the decibel level.  
It coughed out a huge cloud of rust and began to wail. Being 7:00 am I figured the ghetto would appreciate the early wake up.
View Quote

If they fuck themselves ghetto-appropriately, they'd still be asleep till noon.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:50:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The one I messed with had a large air compressor that sent compressed air up the center pole.
View Quote

All the Thunderbolt sirens need the "blower". Part of why they're obsolete.

There was one other siren that also used a blower, the Federal Signal Hurricane. RARE AS FUCK! If you see one, take pictures. They were also dual tone sirens and had a split horn design.

Hurricane

Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:54:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Iron Maiden - Aces High (Official Video)
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 1:55:35 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

The Thunderbolt 1003 had the dual choppers that the 1000T had, but also had solenoids to allow it to do High/Low tone as well. You can tell the difference by the presence of the port and starboard boxes that contained them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:01:08 AM EDT
[#47]
San Francisco used to test the city wide CD sirens on Tuesday at noon. It was was eerie hearing them spin up all over the city, run for a minute then spool down. They were the old style air raid sirens. I always thought it was cool.
ETA: Just checked. They still have the test but they upgraded the system in 2019 to electronic style sirens. Still test on Tuesday at noon but for only 15 seconds.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 2:14:43 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The ongoing coverage of the war in Ukraine and discussion of air raid sirens there leads me to wonder whether we have air raid sirens in the U.S.?  Does your city or town have air raid sirens?
Here in north Texas we have regular storm / tornado sirens, but I have no idea at this time how an air raid siren would sound differently, if at all...
View Quote

As a young boy in Tucson, Arizona in the early 70s, I would hear the air raid sirens be tested every Saturday at 11AM. Some of them are still there, but rusted and inoperable. I haven't seen one anywhere else in many, many years. It would probably be sent as a text message.
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 8:54:14 PM EDT
[#49]
I would have a beer or two at Castles house
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 9:18:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I would have a beer or two at Castles house
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top