Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2022 12:21:13 PM EDT
I've noticed that if I'm nearby when the AC or other high-load appliance kicks on, I at least sometimes hear a buzzing sound from my breaker box for a second or maybe two.  Is this normal?  I don't recall hearing it before at my previous house.  Could it be a bad breaker?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Might need to check the age of the bees that are stored in the breaker. As breakers age, the bees get a little cantankerous and warn people to get off their lawn.

ETA: I’m an engineer, you can trust me on this.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:39:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Something may be loose or bad, or both.

Either tends to make the special smoke come out.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:40:31 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 for angry bees
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:41:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Angry pixies about to find a way to let the magic smoke out. Call an electrician
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:42:01 PM EDT
[#5]
A circuit breaker is getting ready to fail?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:42:04 PM EDT
[#6]
It's the ruby rod inside, getting annoyed.

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:42:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Definitely investigate. Buzzing= loose connection=heat=fire.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:42:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Hit it with a stick that’s what I do.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Breaker could be going bad, probably just need a replacement.

And the thing about bees is bullshit, I know SquareD uses attack drones instead of bees. Although they used to use bees.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might need to check the age of the bees that are stored in the breaker. As breakers age, the bees get a little cantankerous and warn people to get off their lawn.

ETA: I’m an engineer, you can trust me on this.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Breaker could be going bad, probably just need a replacement.

And the thing about bees is bullshit, I know SquareD uses attack drones instead of bees. Although they used to use bees.
View Quote

They still do, dummy. If there were no bees in a breaker, it’d only be a “reaker.”
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I mentioned this in another thread within the last hour.

In an electric system, a buzzing noise is most likely caused by a loose connection. Once it gets loose, it gets looser, until it arcs, or faults, or generates enough heat to cause a fire, or all of the above in one grand event.

Better to fix it now.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 12:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Guess I'll start with tightening and reseating the breakers.  If it keeps up, I'll replace the ones for the HVAC.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:08:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Tighten neutrals and grounds while you're in there.  Shit tighten all the things.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:14:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#16]
just cuz it hasn't been said yet. Before sticking a screwdriver into your power panel, hit the main breaker. just saying.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:53:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
just cuz it hasn't been said yet. Before sticking a screwdriver into your power panel, hit the main breaker. just saying.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:54:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They still do, dummy. If there were no bees in a breaker, it’d only be a “reaker.”
View Quote

Oh.....oh my!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And remember that doesn't stop the power in to your house.
It still has electric coming from outside

Link Posted: 9/28/2022 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Do you have a infrared temperature gun? I would take panel cover off and visually examine the main breaker connections. Check all other breaker connections. If you have a temp gun, look for hot spots. Once narrowed down, tighten connections or replace breaker or burned buss bars/ panel.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
This is relevent to my interests!
Was in the laundry room the other morning and heard a buzzing/arching noise coming from the panel. No smoke or odd smells.
Called my electrition BIL to check it out. He said he didn't see anything. Think I'll kill the main and check for loose connections, oxidation, and such.

ETA The temp gun is a damn good idea!
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:02:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Reseat and tighten lugs is a good idea.
Do you have a thermal?
If so, bust it out and look at your breaker box for hot spots.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Something may be loose or bad, or both.

Either tends to make the special smoke come out.

View Quote

This.

Buzzing is not good.

Shut off the power, check your lugs and breakers. If shit’s loose, it’ll do that sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:16:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I mentioned this in another thread within the last hour.

In an electric system, a buzzing noise is most likely caused by a loose connection. Once it gets loose, it gets looser, until it arcs, or faults, or generates enough heat to cause a fire, or all of the above in one grand event.

Better to fix it now.
View Quote

I found one exception to this, AFCI breakers.

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) breakers have a small resonant circuit that can hum/buzz a little. It’s slight, but can be heard if your ear is fairly close to the panel.

Mine was doing it and had me concerned a little till I figured it out.

I Was in my breaker box b/c some dumbass piggybacked a 50amp receptacle off of the 30amp dryer receptacle, with smaller wire, and then swapped the 30amp breaker with a 50amp breaker. Breaker to dryer is approx 90’, with 30amp wiring….
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:27:14 PM EDT
[#25]
agree with other to check/tighten the lugs.

If you can identify the exact breaker you should pull it off also and check the clip in contacts to the main buss.  These can loosen over time or become corroded.  If you see noticeable arcing or carbon then a little sandpaper and a pinch with the pliers is all that is needed.  

If problem persists then replace. Most breakers are relatively cheap and they do fail over time.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Take the batteries out of your smoke detector, they're not needed. Get drunk and take a nap. You'll be fine.

Kharn
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have had some of those reakers.  Ensure you get the ones with the bees, you don’t want the reakers.
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
just cuz it hasn't been said yet. Before sticking a screwdriver into your power panel, hit the main breaker. just saying
View Quote

WHAT?!?
Link Posted: 9/28/2022 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just use insulated screwdrivers.

Live a little OP!
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:26:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, I was gonna.   But thanks.  
Even though I have a set of insulated screwdrivers.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:27:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do you have a infrared temperature gun? I would take panel cover off and visually examine the main breaker connections. Check all other breaker connections. If you have a temp gun, look for hot spots. Once narrowed down, tighten connections or replace breaker or burned buss bars/ panel.
View Quote

Yes I do.  Good idea.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:30:30 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My main breaker actually is outside next to the meter.  I can kill my whole panel.  Even then, I still don't touch those big wires, just because they might be faking.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI) breakers have a small resonant circuit that can hum/buzz a little. It’s slight, but can be heard if your ear is fairly close to the panel.

I Was in my breaker box b/c some dumbass piggybacked a 50amp receptacle off of the 30amp dryer receptacle, with smaller wire, and then swapped the 30amp breaker with a 50amp breaker. Breaker to dryer is approx 90’, with 30amp wiring….
View Quote

I do have some AFCI breakers.  But this buzzing is loud enough to easily hear in the next room.  Not sure if it's what you're describing.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:41:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tighten neutrals and grounds while you're in there.  Shit tighten all the things.
View Quote

And flip off the main breakers before you go poking around in there.  Sounds like OP would already know that, but it's important.

eta looks like someone already said it
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I do have some AFCI breakers.  But this buzzing is loud enough to easily hear in the next room.  Not sure if it's what you're describing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the AFCI’s are not that loud. You have other issues as others have said.

If the basement is very quiet, I can hear it maybe 4-5 feet away from the panel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:02:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you can hear it in the next room it’s time to isolate that breaker, flip it off, and do without that circuit until it’s fixed.

Could be as simple as tightening a screw or replacing a cartridge breaker. Could be more complex. But at this point if you don’t address it right now today, you’re asking for a house fire. I’m not saying that to be dramatic. I’m saying it to help you avoid drama.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:08:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Okay just to pile on.

Yes something is probably loose or failing. But to add on make sure depending on the panel type to check the buss bar connections. Sq d as great of a panel and breaker that they make on QO panels the part of the buss bar that the breakers go on to is screwed to the main buss bar. I have seen that ark and burn up a few times, although its normally water related.

Also believe it or not it can just be the wires buzzing from resonance. I have chased that down before swearing there was a problem, went away as soon as I moved one wire touching the panel can.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:21:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 10:34:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Definitely investigate. Buzzing= loose connection=heat=fire.
View Quote

That is my thought.  The buzzing is electrons jumping arcing a loose connection. I’d shut off the panel and pull that breaker and examine it and very likely replace it.  You just might see some burn marks.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:07:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If you can hear it in the next room it’s time to isolate that breaker, flip it off, and do without that circuit until it’s fixed.

Could be as simple as tightening a screw or replacing a cartridge breaker. Could be more complex. But at this point if you don’t address it right now today, you’re asking for a house fire. I’m not saying that to be dramatic. I’m saying it to help you avoid drama.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just to clarify, the next room is less than five feet away.  

I guess I can notice it about 10-15 feet away.  It only lasts a second and is not constant.  I'll kill the panel and do some investigating this evening.  Didn't have an opportunity yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

You’re supposed to hold off on useful information ‘til page 2. Thanks a lot apple polisher.
Link Posted: 9/29/2022 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I'm having an issue in my camper right now.  When I fire up the on board generator I get a snapping sound from breaker panel.  It will be lots of fun to work on since it's down at floor level wedged between step and seat.  My knees and back hurt just thinking about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top