User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:04:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GI-45:
So I guess keeping a print-out of my insurance in my glove compartment makes me a Boomer now.

View Quote

I got banned from a Nextdoor group because I called out some woman who thought it was wrong that a gas station wanted $2 to put air in your tires. She thought it should be free, and I said do it yourself, if you don't like it. In the course of the argument she said I must be a Boomer since I knew how to put air in my tires and change the oil in a car. LOL.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

Most people don't own a printer and cheap printers have a nasty habit of fucking themselves if not used regularly.

Combine this with lots of insurance companies no longer sending you paper proof of insurance and you have this situation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By haveTwo:
Just keep paper copies of things.  They don't run out of battery.

Most people don't own a printer and cheap printers have a nasty habit of fucking themselves if not used regularly.

Combine this with lots of insurance companies no longer sending you paper proof of insurance and you have this situation.

House printer is not connected to my laptop, so I email print requests, usually service manual downloads and freight shipment documents to my local print/pack/ship store. They charge .10/page, and the store is on my way home from town so not out of the way at all. But I'm an old guy and I like print stuff.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:12:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By new_RRA_user:

I got banned from a Nextdoor group because I called out some woman who thought it was wrong that a gas station wanted $2 to put air in your tires. She thought it should be free, and I said do it yourself, if you don't like it. In the course of the argument she said I must be a Boomer since I knew how to put air in my tires and change the oil in a car. LOL.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By new_RRA_user:
So I guess keeping a print-out of my insurance in my glove compartment makes me a Boomer now.

Nextdoor sucks! It is full of people like that, and the mods will nuke anything/anybody the hurts someone's feelz. Did I mention that Nextdoor sucks?
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:17:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By joemama74:
Where's all these women with the naked pictures?

My wife walks into our bedroom from the bathroom to get a bra covering her titties like she's got nuclear launch codes written on them.
View Quote

Married for a while, right? Probably residual "wedding cake effect".
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 8:57:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: runcible] [#5]
Originally Posted By CastleBravo91:

My BIL had a rough time at Soldier Field because of the ticket app. Went to a Metallica show, I guess the place is a dead zone. No one could open the app to have the tickets scanned, so they didn't let folks inside. Had to walk around until he got a signal so he could open it. Ended up missing Pantera over the whole deal, which he really wanted to see. He said he thought folks were gonna riot.
View Quote
This is why I still print tickets if it's an option. Unfortunately, it's an option that seems to be going the way of butter churns and high-button shoes.
Most of the online tickets I've gotten recently have that animated bar code screen with the blue line going back and forth, and big letters that say "DO NOT PRINT."
Which is great, as long as it works. Every time I got to show now, I'm checking my phone constantly on the way to the venue. It's a pain.

Link Posted: 9/14/2024 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 9:56:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 545days:

There are 708,000 full time police officers in the United States, plus a shit load of reserves and part time.  If only 1% are bad apples that is more than 7,000 bad cops.

It is not surprising that we hear about bad cops regularly, especially when Internet algorithms choose the news you receive.

One of the communist's goals was to destroy the American people's faith in their institutions.  Do you ever wonder why certain posters and internet algorithms feed you a barrage of this stuff?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 545days:
Originally Posted By CaliContractor:
Another day and another damn POS worthless bad apple. Utterly amazing how many bad apples there are in Law enforcement.

There are 708,000 full time police officers in the United States, plus a shit load of reserves and part time.  If only 1% are bad apples that is more than 7,000 bad cops.

It is not surprising that we hear about bad cops regularly, especially when Internet algorithms choose the news you receive.

One of the communist's goals was to destroy the American people's faith in their institutions.  Do you ever wonder why certain posters and internet algorithms feed you a barrage of this stuff?

You are ignoring the fact that the saying goes "one bad apple spoils the whole bunch"

And we can see that the whole bunch is spoiled by how many times all the apples circle to defend the bad one even when the bad one is clearly rotten.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SmilingBandit:

On iPhone I can put my insurance information into the wallet and access that through a button press that doesn't unlock the phone.  Seems a lot easier than fiddling with a guided access mode or similar under stress.
View All Quotes

This is a good idea so I did a bit of digging (this is for android). There are some dubious apps available but I found a method that does not require them.

Save your proof of insurance, game tags, whatever as a pdf. (This is because the built in pdf app has no navigation, if you just have it as a screenshot they can still dig around in your gallery)
Turn on app pinning

When someone wants to see them:
Open the pdf
Go yo overview (either tap square or swipe from bottom to center)
Tap the icon for your app

Now home and overview are disabled and back only works within the app which in this case means it goes nowhere. To leave the app you press and hold back and overview, it takes you to the lock screen and after unlocking phone is back to normal. It's not perfect but it's a lot better.

On iPhone I can put my insurance information into the wallet and access that through a button press that doesn't unlock the phone.  Seems a lot easier than fiddling with a guided access mode or similar under stress.

Yep that's a decent solution.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:00:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By UV18:

You don't have nudes on your phone?
View Quote
I thought every ARFCOMer had nudes on his phone in order to be able to send dick pics as soon as someone with a vaguely feminine username posted for the first time.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By macman37:
What's the point of becoming a cop if you can't do stuff like this?

View Quote
Seriously.  All that training and hassle just to get out of traffic tickets?  There's got to be some better privileges than that.
Link Posted: 9/14/2024 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

You still need to download a new one everytime your policy expires or renews.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 3:50:38 AM EDT
[#12]

You don't say.  

Are you implying that there were no relevant state charges that could be applied rather than this one specific federal charge?
View Quote

Which state charges applied in this case?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:02:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By fadedsun:

View All Quotes

You don't say.  

Are you implying that there were no relevant state charges that could be applied rather than this one specific federal charge?

You tell me.  Or you can say that there aren’t any.  That literally what I asked you.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Koa:
What she look like doh...
View Quote

You would think pretty darn good since he risk his job for some skin pics.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Tri-County Metro Drug's (Lansing area Michigan) most loudly bragged about no-knock raid of 1990 resulted in misdemeanor convictions of piano player Robert Baldori for possession of marijuana and conspiracy to possess marijuana. It also resulted in the seizure of 88lb of MJ, a personal computer, and a handful of nude Polariods of Bob Baldori's girlfriend. The Polaroids were not on the official listing of seized evidence.

The Ingham County Prostituting Attorney later tried to seize Bob's Okemos home from the people Bob sold it to. He wasn't willing to go to trial with Bob's criminal charges, but he did get his ass spanked in court on the attempted real estate theft.

Bob claimed that the cops gave a friend of his 88lb of weed and forced him to plant it in Bob's barn. The cops dispute this claim, but prosecutors didn't want to put the true story on the court record, so in a plea deal Bob plead to possession of MJ and served 30 days of work release jail. For a guy who owned a recording studio and set his own work hours, being able to check himself out at will to go to work and being required to spend at least 8 hours a night in jail wasn't much of a sentence. Especially for a "look at us, we raided a drug kinpin" raid.

What wasn't in dispute was the fact that 26 members of TCMD were involved with stealing, copying, distributing and/or receiving nude photos of Bob's girlfriend.

So yeah, cops stealing nudies is not a new thing.

@JellyBelly
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:40:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:
Tri-County Metro Drug's (Lansing area Michigan) most loudly bragged about no-knock raid of 1990 resulted in misdemeanor convictions of piano player Robert Baldori for possession of marijuana and conspiracy to possess marijuana. It also resulted in the seizure of 88lb of MJ, a personal computer, and a handful of nude Polariods of Bob Baldori's girlfriend. The Polaroids were not on the official listing of seized evidence.

The Ingham County Prostituting Attorney later tried to seize Bob's Okemos home from the people Bob sold it to. He wasn't willing to go to trial with Bob's criminal charges, but he did get his ass spanked in court on the attempted real estate theft.

Bob claimed that the cops gave a friend of his 88lb of weed and forced him to plant it in Bob's barn. The cops dispute this claim, but prosecutors didn't want to put the true story on the court record, so in a plea deal Bob plead to possession of MJ and served 30 days of work release jail. For a guy who owned a recording studio and set his own work hours, being able to check himself out at will to go to work and being required to spend at least 8 hours a night in jail wasn't much of a sentence. Especially for a "look at us, we raided a drug kinpin" raid.

What wasn't in dispute was the fact that 26 members of TCMD were involved with stealing, copying, distributing and/or receiving nude photos of Bob's girlfriend.

So yeah, cops stealing nudies is not a new thing.

@JellyBelly
View Quote

Boogie Bob is famous enough to have a Wiki page.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:43:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Very unsurprising, have dealt first hand with creepy cops being predatorial pieces of shit. The second amendment is meant for rapists and scumbags, doesn’t matter if they are in blue. Been there, done that, will do it again if needed so help me God.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 11:49:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
How did the FBI discover this? And figure out who the victim was?

View Quote

Someone in his department did the right thing and told on him?
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:02:46 PM EDT
[#19]

I can't understand why anyone in a healthy relationship would not have nudes on their phone.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CoconutLaCroix:
I can't understand why anyone would have naked photos of themselves on their phone unless they were wanting to track the growth of a concerning mole on their ballsack or something

I can't understand why anyone in a healthy relationship would not have nudes on their phone.

This.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

But the drug bust wasn't famous enough to make his Wiki page.
Funny how the local press treated him like an international fugitive absconding from justice, when it took them a month after the raid to come after him with an arrest warrant, and he was already out of the country by then.

This is the only mention I could find of the drug raid.
https://chicagoreader.com/arts-culture/boogie-bob-vs-the-buzz-killers/
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:20:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Or it could mean that the locals were unwilling/unable to criminally punish their own.
View All Quotes

Nonsense.  This isn’t something that a day or two without pay may fix.

The fbi investigating means there is something more systemic and troubling.

Or it could mean that the locals were unwilling/unable to criminally punish their own.

More than likely this.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#22]

State Farm sends me printed new ones every 6 months.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

There is no reason to take someone's phone after they show you proof of insurance. I won't even touch it. But lots of folks will basically toss you their phone.

I prefer the old fashioned POI with paper.

I printed mine out but honestly the reason was because State Farm website sucks

Geico does the same.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 4:53:13 PM EDT
[#23]

You tell me.  Or you can say that there aren’t any.  That literally what I asked you.
View All Quotes

I responded to this:

Do you mean "unable" as in no laws apply or in that they are incompetent to punish their own?

Going federal is the correct option.

Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:25:10 PM EDT
[#24]

I responded to this:

Do you mean "unable" as in no laws apply or in that they are incompetent to punish their own?

View All Quotes

I responded to this:

No, you responded to:

That statement about unwilling or unable was earlier in the thread.

And I'm going to disagree that going federal is rarely the correct option.  That should only happen when the local and state government has failed to do their job.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By TheLookingGlass:
I've been saying this for years. Never hand law enforcement your unlocked phone, or even a locked phone. In the event they confiscate it for "evidence" and get it unlocked via a warrant.  It's the digital equivalent of inviting the man into your life.
View Quote

This, easy to print off insurance card and hand it over with registration, which is usually hard copy.  Never hand over an unlocked phone to the man.  Sorry LEO needs to do sometime.
Link Posted: 9/15/2024 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#26]
If the FBI found it, they're clearly looking around at something else.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 6:51:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By PepePewPew:

But the drug bust wasn't famous enough to make his Wiki page.
Funny how the local press treated him like an international fugitive absconding from justice, when it took them a month after the raid to come after him with an arrest warrant, and he was already out of the country by then.

This is the only mention I could find of the drug raid.
https://chicagoreader.com/arts-culture/boogie-bob-vs-the-buzz-killers/
View Quote

I didn't move to Lansing until 1991 so I was late to the party. I'd occasionally see a reporter talking about his court dates but it didn't mean much to me.

A few years later a cop got caught taking bribes to not write tickets. That was funny. A guy under federal surveillance bragged on an ancient cell phone about paying a Lansing cop to go away and the Feds told the guy's bosses. They set him up for a sting and he wasn't a cop anymore.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Lucky for me... nobody wants to see me nekkid.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#29]

I work at dollar general stocking shelves on night shift between drill weekends. I don’t know anything
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:20:25 AM EDT
[#30]
They can already see you have insurance on their computer. There's no need for them to take your phone
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By mcantu:
They can already see you have insurance on their computer. There's no need for them to take your phone
View Quote

Really?  So the insurance companies communicate with LE about the insured status of their drivers?
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CarmelBytheSea:

There is no reason to take someone's phone after they show you proof of insurance. I won't even touch it. But lots of folks will basically toss you their phone.

I prefer the old fashioned POI with paper.

I printed mine out but honestly the reason was because State Farm website sucks

It’s a matter of checking a box with most insurance companies.  

I just print mine and hand them out to family members to put in their cars.

PA registration is print only unless you specifically request a paper copy and that costs extra.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By sanman28:

Really?  So the insurance companies communicate with LE about the insured status of their drivers?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mcantu:

Not with LE per se, but often with the DMV who then updates the vehicle database that LE queries.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By efpeter:

Didn't a court determine that a biometric scan does not require a search warrant?   The police can scan your thumb against your will, but a password must be court ordered if declined by citizen.
View All Quotes
I've been saying this for years. Never hand law enforcement your unlocked phone, or even a locked phone. In the event they confiscate it for "evidence" and get it unlocked via a warrant.  It's the digital equivalent of inviting the man into your life.

Didn't a court determine that a biometric scan does not require a search warrant?   The police can scan your thumb against your will, but a password must be court ordered if declined by citizen.

If I think that I am going to have an encounter with LEO, I would lock my phone so a password is required, takes 3 seconds
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Hostile1:

Someone in his department did the right thing and told on him?
View Quote

😂😂😂
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Not with LE per se, but often with the DMV who then updates the vehicle database that LE queries.
View Quote

But that would only be a snapshot at the time of registration or renewal…..correct?
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:48:36 AM EDT
[#37]

But that would only be a snapshot at the time of registration or renewal…..correct?
View All Quotes

Not necessarily.
Insurance companies could tell the DMV anytime there is a change in insurance status. That is then stored in the DMV computers and searchable at anytime by LEO.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:50:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Not necessarily.
Insurance companies could tell the DMV anytime there is a change in insurance status. That is then stored in the DMV computers and searchable at anytime by LEO.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Imzadi:

Not necessarily.

That's how I figure it would work.  And even if it didn't, the printed-out card is only a snapshot of the moment that it was downloaded.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#39]

View Quote

They also tell the state if you have insurance or not for license plate renewals too. In Michigan they send you a different renewal when you're not insured, telling you to bring proof of insurance to them to show you're insured.

I doubt they know the specifics of your policy, but just a "yes/no" in their system is almost certainly a simple option for them.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 10:58:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alex_F] [#40]

View Quote

lol, this.

Don't hand your unlocked phone to a LEO.

Link Posted: 9/16/2024 12:07:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 12:12:45 PM EDT
[#42]

View All Quotes

My phone is set up so on restart it needs the pass code.  Do the same and learn the quick restart.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 12:15:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By macman37:
What's the point of becoming a cop if you can't do stuff like this?

View Quote

So nobody picks on you like they did in high school.
Link Posted: 9/16/2024 12:18:03 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By madcap3k:

My phone is set up so on restart it needs the pass code.  Do the same and learn the quick restart.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By madcap3k:

On a recent iPhone you hold down the lock button and a volume button until it gives you the shutdown or emergency options.  Then it requires a passcode to unlock.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top