Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2024 8:39:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD]
Our old dishwasher is pretty beat up and not very well secured, looking to replace soon. But I have a couple challenges, never done this before.

1. my wood flooring stops at the front edge so the floor is not level to the wall.  Currently the dw sits lower, behind the lip, makes it tough to get out if needed. Do folks just install the washer behind that lip or is there something I should be putting down to make it level?

2. granite countertop and somewhat flimsy cabinetry make securing a challenge.  do I just use one of these or is it advised to have a pro install it?

Got the old washer out to be ready for the Bosch install on Tuesday.  Here's what I did with the floor @7

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:38:09 AM EDT
[#1]
DW legs are adjustable for leveling. You can probably turn them all the way up to get it out. We used top mount brackets it came with.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:48:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By masterlou:
DW legs are adjustable for leveling. You can probably turn them all the way up to get it out. We used top mount brackets it came with.
View Quote

yeah we have the current one levels, but it sits behind the lip of the wood floors which means the adjustable legs get caught up when we attempt to pull it out.  Didn't know if folks use tiles/shims of some sort to make that part of the floor level.

we intend to try using the top mount item I linked.  the builder grade cabinets arent the thickets and these have gotten chewed up over the years.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 9:56:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not cut a piece of plywood the correct thickness to bring it up to the floor height?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By bdicki:
Why not cut a piece of plywood the correct thickness to bring it up to the floor height?
View Quote

That thought crossed my mind.  Plywood or some tiling.

Honestly, I figured someone here had been in the same spot and was looking for options.  I'm a handy but not very DIY experienced, figured I might benefit from others' experiences.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:18:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

Honestly, I figured someone here had been in the same spot and was looking for options.  I'm a handy but not very DIY experienced, figured I might benefit from others' experiences.
View Quote

Second hand stores for building materials, such as second chance and restore are a good source for small amounts of flooring or other materials. You may get lucky and find something that matches.

I had to shim a dishwasher with 2inches of material at one job. They homeowner ordered extra tall cabinets
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FrozInAK:

Second hand stores for building materials, such as second chance and restore are a good source for small amounts of flooring or other materials. You may get lucky and find something that matches.

I had to shim a dishwasher with 2inches of material at one job. They homeowner ordered extra tall cabinets
View Quote

good idea.  I have a couple tiles leftover from another job, might be able to get a couple more and couple them all together.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

OP, were the base cabinets installed to the correct height (On top of the finish flooring) or was the flooring installed after the cabinet install?
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 11:30:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mike_314] [#8]
View Quote
Do this or something similar.

If you ever need to replace the next dishwasher, you'll be glad you did.

Also, check out Costco if you haven't bought the replacement.  I bought a Bosch for a pretty good price compared to appliance stores, especially since the Costco price included installation and haul off of the old one.  You'll need the proper threaded fitting for the water line for the new one.
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:05:22 PM EDT
[#9]
think I have the solution.  i had some leftover tongue/groove so I got a rough measurement and cut a few pieces.  I'll drop them in so the washer goes in with the grain so as not to snag on seams.

I might need to trim a  bit once I get the old one out but I think this will work.

Link Posted: 7/7/2024 12:06:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DV8EDD] [#10]
Originally Posted By Mike_314:
Do this or something similar.

If you ever need to replace the next dishwasher, you'll be glad you did.

Also, check out Costco if you haven't bought the replacement.  I bought a Bosch for a pretty good price compared to appliance stores, especially since the Costco price included installation and haul off of the old one.  You'll need the proper threaded fitting for the water line for the new one.
View Quote

checked them and Lowes.  It will be a bosch.  Lowes near me actually has a good sale right now on the 300 series but we might wait until Labor Day sales.  Current one is hanging on though the front is kinda busted up.

ETA - Bosch 300 purchase complete
Link Posted: 7/7/2024 10:11:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in the same boat.  Need to remove the dishwasher to repair the door hinge springs but there is tile in front and I can't access the legs.  Will need to cut out or break the tile to access the legs.  Been putting it off since it still works but with no springs, you have to be careful opening it up. :).  Will have to see about adding in wood to make it easier to install and remove in the future.  

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 5:49:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Our floor was tiled, and the tile did not run under the dishwasher.
To get it out, I screwed in the front legs as far as they would go, to give some clearance.
It's not as easy as just pulling it out, but it's not too bad.
If it had to be removed regularly, I would bring the floor under the dishwasher up to the floor level.
Link Posted: 7/8/2024 7:11:37 AM EDT
[#13]
This but you only need 2 (two) pieces on each side where the legs are ; )

Easier to get in / out and measure and trim

think I have the solution.  i had some leftover tongue/groove so I got a rough measurement and cut a few pieces.  I'll drop them in so the washer goes in with the grain so as not to snag on seams.

I might need to trim a  bit once I get the old one out but I think this will work.

https://i.imgur.com/noboxvTh.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/8/2024 8:13:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Laserjock:

This but you only need 2 (two) pieces on each side where the legs are ; )

Easier to get in / out and measure and trim

View Quote

Thanks, will look at that.
Link Posted: 7/9/2024 12:27:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ef4life] [#15]
As a tile installer - the reason many floors don’t have tile underneath the dishwasher is because many times they won’t fit with flooring installed under it. It really depends on the cabinets and counter tops edge to floor height. Granite and stone counters typically not an issue since they are raised up by 3/4” plywood on top of the cabinets typically, but iwith cheap Formica the lip overhangs the cabinets and you lose 1/2” or more or clearance to fit it in.

Link Posted: 7/9/2024 5:15:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:
As a tile installer - the reason many floors don’t have tile underneath the dishwasher is because many times they won’t fit with flooring installed under it. It really depends on the cabinets and counter tops edge to floor height. Granite and stone counters typically not an issue since they are raised up by 3/4” plywood on top of the cabinets typically, but iwith cheap Formica the lip overhangs the cabinets and you lose 1/2” or more or clearance to fit it in.

View Quote

yup, makes sense and this house did have the cheap counter tops, since replaced with nicer stuff.
Link Posted: 7/10/2024 8:34:34 AM EDT
[#17]

checked them and Lowes.  It will be a bosch.  Lowes near me actually has a good sale right now on the 300 series but we might wait until Labor Day sales.  Current one is hanging on though the front is kinda busted up.

ETA - Bosch 300 purchase complete
View Quote
I just put one of those in at my place.  There is a middle leg iirc.  It also uses a plug where my old one was hard wired so I had to install an outlet under my sink.
Link Posted: 7/12/2024 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 7:
I'm in the same boat.  Need to remove the dishwasher to repair the door hinge springs but there is tile in front and I can't access the legs.  Will need to cut out or break the tile to access the legs.  Been putting it off since it still works but with no springs, you have to be careful opening it up. :).  Will have to see about adding in wood to make it easier to install and remove in the future.  

View Quote

I was thinking about this again today.  I'd like to hear how this goes for you.  I'll take pics of what I do (right or wrong, however it goes).

Dishwasher gets delivered Tuesday so I'm pulling/selling mine and tinkering with the flooring this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/21/2024 4:33:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a very similar situation when I replaced my dishwasher last year.

I could get the old dishwasher out but the new one was too tall to place

into the cavity. It was either try to lift the countertop that would probably crack

or cut the flooring just enough to get the new dishwasher in. I cut the flooring

and then made a strip of matching Oak to cover the cutout.
Link Posted: 8/7/2024 1:35:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#20]
I just did mine last week.  Always install a new braided stainless hose, folks.  

Looks like OP's is hard wired.  Most of the ones I have done have a pigtail and a plug.  Mine is plugged into a GFCI under the sink. I was in too much of a hurry to take photos and my executive assistant was too busy being retired.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top