Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2024 8:38:55 PM EDT
I've got a 2015 Toyota 4 runner with just over 100K miles. Today a tree fell on the T4R damaging the vehicle. I have USAA insurance and will file a claim with them.  I would like to not take any missteps in dealing w/ the insurance company since they will do as all insurance companies do, and try to screw me out of as much money as possible. I'm not sure if the T4R will be totaled but in filing a claim with USAA, I'm sure you are required to use one of their approved body shops to get an estimate. Is there anything I should do when filing a claim to avoid getting short changed on settlement? On another note, how screwed up does my T4R look? Salvageable?

Link Posted: 7/18/2024 8:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
They'll check to see if any structural supports are damaged,

if so they total it & it's ten years old so they might settle for penny on the dollar.
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:04:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Won't buff out
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 9:08:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Shits broke yo
Link Posted: 7/18/2024 10:11:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote totaled.

Do you have another car to drive - not a rental?

Get the highest priced comparables from your area. They are going to get the lowest.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 10:55:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got another vehicle to drive for now, but not looking forward to buying a new car. Hoping it isn't totaled.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:18:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Totalled. Roof structure damaged all the way around. They probably aren't fixing that.

Insurance companies I've dealt with(tons) have been pretty decent when a vehicle is totalled. Keep in mind you don't have to accept their first offer. You can negotiate some accessories as well if the vehicle has any.

If you want OP go to jdpower and kbb and book your vehicle out. That will give you a place to start.

In NY a total vehicle value is replacement cost plus sales tax.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
They will total it. Crushed roof probably exceeds the repair limit for them.

It can be repaired though.

They will sell it at auction. A salvage rebuilder will buy it, fix it, and sell it with a salvage title.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:35:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:40:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Do your homework and get 10 or so sold or listed Runners of the same age and similar miles and condition if they total it. They WILL lowball you if at all possible because that is how business works. Have some info of your own and you can show evidence their offer is lower then the actual value.

And they can make a good chunk back selling it for mechanical and body parts and interior parts that were not damaged. They won't be telling you that.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
With USAA, you can take it anywhere you want. I've had multiple claims with them, always treated me well.  Looks totaled to me.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 1:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
USAA was awesome back in 2022 when my Forester was totaled. Their contractor company (CCC1?) did a vehicles for sale cost comparison. The CCC1 comparison was garbage ,  said my forester was worth 5 grand because they had a "similar" one on a dealers lot 600 miles away (that had 160k miles, unrepaired fender damage, basic engine, zero options,  and rust around the wheel wells), i called USAA and complained got a gal with a very nice southern accent who said , that wasnt right and they had a lot of complaints about their contractor. The lady did some clicking on google adn saw 5 vehicles in teh first 5 minute that clearly showed my rigs value pre total. Then she was like ok lets do this and started asking me questions,(you had the turbo engine, and the AWD x drive package, leather, AT tires, suspension upgrades(had to show reciepts), alloy wheels, light bar(had to show reciept), roof rack(again reciept), roof basket(reciept), taxes, etc. recently registered (in maine they hit you hard, like 3% of new sale price of vehicle yearly for 5 years).  after it was all done USAA cut me a check for 1k less than I paid new. (2022 was PEAK vehicle value though during covid).  I ordered a bronco sport and called it good. Had to wait 6 months for that though.  I
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 2:37:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Dang! I love that car, thought I’d drive it for years to come. I think I paid $38K new. Can’t replace it for that price now. I haven’t checked but bet a new 4Runner is $60K +
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dang! I love that car, thought I’d drive it for years to come. I think I paid $38K new. Can’t replace it for that price now. I haven’t checked but bet a new 4Runner is $60K +
View Quote

My 23 TRD ORP was 48.5 out the door.
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 3:05:47 PM EDT
[#14]
That more reasonable than I thought
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 3:08:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Structural damage - they gonna total that
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 8:50:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Run the vin thru Carvana, CarMax, etc of the quick online buyers and file their numbers away in case you need more ammo for lowballs from the Ins company
Link Posted: 7/19/2024 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Great ideas, thanks fellas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top