Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2024 12:02:49 PM EDT
What does the printing hive recommend?  I'm looking for all metal that can handle temps for abs, petg and like materials but Im not looking to spend a whole lot.  This will likely be the last up grade I do to this printer since I am saving up to get something a lot better than creality stuff.  These printers always have something breaking or wearing out on them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Please don't take this the wrong way, as I don't intend to sound like a jerk about it, but fear it may come out that way. I'm just trying to be realistic, I remember your thread about swapping main boards. Before going down this path, do you think you can create and/or install the new firmware that will make this change possible?

Also if you are truly looking to replace these printers, wouldn't it make more sense to use these funds to increase your new printer budget?
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crazyelece:
Please don't take this the wrong way, as I don't intend to sound like a jerk about it, but fear it may come out that way. I'm just trying to be realistic, I remember your thread about swapping main boards. Before going down this path, do you think you can create and/or install the new firmware that will make this change possible?

Also if you are truly looking to replace these printers, wouldn't it make more sense to use these funds to increase your new printer budget?
View Quote

no offense taken.  I was able to swap out the boards and flash hem with the new firmware.  Changing hot ends is easy compared to that.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Replace the whole printer. Seriously it's easier in the end.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 4:21:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
View Quote

i lol'ed

lets play this out.  he buys a new bamboozle super duper and now that's up and running and busy with a 2 day print.  bored, he turns to the ender 5 which but for a hot end would be fully functional and could be printing something else at the same time.  he returns to this same decision point.  

not sure what kind of ender you have, I have a 5 pro with a microswiss and a 5 plus with the spyder.  i'd say microswiss is a simple swap in, gives you options for higher temp but doesn't force you to do anything special right now.  if you want to do something awesome like sprite or the microswiss all in one that's more work.  

Link Posted: 6/6/2024 4:38:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By bionicmonkey:

i lol'ed

lets play this out.  he buys a new bamboozle super duper and now that's up and running and busy with a 2 day print.  bored, he turns to the ender 5 which but for a hot end would be fully functional and could be printing something else at the same time.  he returns to this same decision point.  

not sure what kind of ender you have, I have a 5 pro with a microswiss and a 5 plus with the spyder.  i'd say microswiss is a simple swap in, gives you options for higher temp but doesn't force you to do anything special right now.  if you want to do something awesome like sprite or the microswiss all in one that's more work.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bionicmonkey:
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

i lol'ed

Hahaha.  This is me.  I just ordered a X1c package with the Bambu sale going on.  I have a "busted" 5plus.  I just bought some parts for it and decided Ill get it back running.  1 is none and 2 is one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2024 7:36:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: nikdfish] [#7]
I'll +1 a micro Swiss (or clone) + a 60 watt cartridge. Use an external mosfet if the board isn't up to it. This was a simple & effective update for my old 1st gen ender 3. Ran ASA with it (in an enclosure), no problem. Upgrade the hot end fan if heat creep becomes an issue with PLA.
Link Posted: 6/7/2024 2:39:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: scul] [#8]
Another +1 for the drop in MicroSwiss.  Still rocking that on my E3P
Link Posted: 6/9/2024 2:28:04 AM EDT
[#9]
MicroSwiss is way outdated.

I've been running the Rapido UHF Hotend on my Ender 5 converted to a Zero G Mercury 1.
Link Posted: 6/11/2024 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I ended up putting the E3D hotend/extruder in both of me Ender 5+/5Pro.  It's miles better than the stock unit
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By crazyelece:
View Quote

A new hotend doesn't require a firmware update, they're drop-in parts, or at least the MicroSwiss is.  Unless you mean there's a temperature restriction in his printer's firmware that would prevent him from cranking the heat up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

A new hotend doesn't require a firmware update, they're drop-in parts, or at least the MicroSwiss is.  Unless you mean there's a temperature restriction in his printer's firmware that would prevent him from cranking the heat up.
View Quote
That what I was thinking. I replaced the one on my ender 3 with a Creality SPIDER hot end, no update required.
Link Posted: 6/13/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#13]
yep.. running spider hotend on my 5+, stock firmware.. but cant exceed stock temps. :-(
Link Posted: 6/14/2024 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Sebastian_MacMaine:

View Quote

Yes the firmware needs updated to be able to use the new hotend at higher temps. Depending on hotend, it might need a thermistor change as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top