Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2024 7:04:08 PM EDT
Whirlind 3 days. My 15 yo calls me when im at work from school my chest hurts, im shaking , fever.

Pick her up off to ER. Huge mass in her chest, ambulance ride to childrens direct admit PICU 2 in the morning im along for the ride.

Huge work up last 3 days, shes such a trooper, typing this have a tear in my eye,  ive put bodies in bags overseas and it didnt affect me like this.

I feel like my chest is being ripped out at times, just trying to be calm, encouraging and steadfast for her.

Prelim hodgkins lymphoma , “best” of the scenarios, treatable and high remission rates.

However, having this in one of your children honestly is the hardest thing thats ever happened to me.

And ill tell you if any childhood cancer organization ever contacts me for a donation im breaking open the check book.

I dont usually post this stuff…. Primarily lurk
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Hugs, I wish I had words to comfort you but my prayers are all I have. Hang in there dad!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:07:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel for you man and I’ll say a prayer for your daughter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#3]
St. Judes Children's Hospital.

35 years ago, the doctors told me my son had brain cancer, and I should take him to the beach and let him play while he can.
We ended up in the network that St. Judes is a part of, and my son works for the VA as a supply manager.
Miracles happen if you pray and do your diligence.

Prayers, my friend.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:10:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Hard enough having my wife diagnosed yesterday. I can't imagine with a child. Your family will be in our prayers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Your daughter and family will be in my prayers. May we know her name?

Right now, before more is known and treatments are discussed and started, all you can do is be strong so that she can draw strength from you and see as a stable and reassuring force.

God bless.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#6]
My prayers will be for her tonight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:18:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Prayers sent
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#8]
I am sorry. Stay strong.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
GOD be merciful

Cancer treatments are lightyears better now than even 5 yeard ago.  Stay strong
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:40:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The hardest experience I have gone through is seeing my daughter go into intensive care for five weeks, flatlined twice, and managed her hardships.

You feel powerless and there’s nothing you can do about it but pray and be there for your child and wife/family.

It’s tough and I’ll be thinking of your daughter and your family.  Love and prayers to yall
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Prayers for you and your family
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By J-L:
Whirlind 3 days. My 15 yo calls me when im at work from school my chest hurts, im shaking , fever.

Pick her up off to ER. Huge mass in her chest, ambulance ride to childrens direct admit PICU 2 in the morning im along for the ride.

Huge work up last 3 days, shes such a trooper, typing this have a tear in my eye,  ive put bodies in bags overseas and it didnt affect me like this.

I feel like my chest is being ripped out at times, just trying to be calm, encouraging and steadfast for her.

Prelim hodgkins lymphoma , “best” of the scenarios, treatable and high remission rates.

However, having this in one of your children honestly is the hardest thing thats ever happened to me.

And ill tell you if any childhood cancer organization ever contacts me for a donation im breaking open the check book.

I dont usually post this stuff…. Primarily lurk
View Quote

Really sorry to hear it OP. I can’t imagine what you are going through. If it helps a close family friend had the same when she was in her teens- late 30s with 2 kids now and perfectly fine. I’ll say a prayer for you
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:44:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I will pray for her and your family.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 8:54:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Sorry_Your_Girl_Lost:
I will pray for her and your family.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:02:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TacX] [#15]
Sorry that you’re going through this. Will pray for your family. My 10yr old daughter is currently fighting brain cancer, so I know a bit about how much it sucks to get punched in the gut like this.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:04:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Prayer sent, stay strong for your kiddo
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:36:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Prayers for your daughter, you, and your family.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#18]
@MrPSmith to the white courtesy phone.

prayers out.

she's on the line for an Adult or Pediatric Oncologist, I think.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I will add your family, especially your daughter, in my prayers tonight. Be strong, God is with you and He know your pain. I can’t imagine how you’re feeling or how hard this is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 9:50:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Prayers up. Step-daughter had thyroid cancer at 13- rough ride,she got over it but not without an emotional rollercoaster exacerbated by raging hormones   Influenced by the cancer treatments. You will be tried and need patience in abundance. The good news- today she is a 40 year old Mother of 3 and a successful accountant. Stay the course- you will triumph.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Prayers for your daughter, you and all your family.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:17:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Praying!
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#23]
My son has Crohn’s disease (10) and I never have any peace. I can’t imagine what you’re going through. My wife had colon cancer (stage 3B) and is less than 2 years out. I can’t imagine what you’re going through. Over the past 3 years I have been reduced to a basket case.

I will be praying for your daughter.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:22:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Prayers sent. For all of you guys.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:25:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey @J-L

There's a few of us in this unfortunate club on the forum.

My daughter is 11 and is a 2 time bone cancer Survivor. We just got a round of cleat scans today.

TacX has a little princess with a brain tumor and is currently in the fight. He and I have become friends and we chat regularly.

I'm very sorry that you guys have to deal with this.

Feel free to reach out if you need to vent or have questions.

Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Prayers bro 🙏
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:42:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: duckdog] [#27]
Prayers inbound. 🙏
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#28]
C Springs or Denver?  My wife is a MRI Tech at C Springs.

I pray for the best outcome for your daughter.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:54:55 PM EDT
[#29]
fuck cancer.

prayers for all. my dad had non hodgkin’s lymphoma & is still kicking it.

i provide anesthesia for patients of various age & conditions. i truly wish you both the best.

also, give kids the world, in orlando, is a phenomenal organization.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#30]
My buddy was diagnosed with the same second semester freshman year of college. He's 100% a.o.k almost two decades later
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 10:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#31]
I've been there Brother. It was rough seeing your child lying there and not being able to do anything. My Son's wasn't Cancer. Till this day they don't know what it was.
They actually said we could go home and I refused. I told them to get another Doctor or the Police, because we were'nt  leaving. They called in another Doctor and admitted my Son. He spent a Month in the Hospital with two IVs of Antibiotics. He finally ate something after 1 month and 10 days from getting sick.

Just be there for them and let them know you love them. My Son is 30 now, and loving life. Even with it's ups and downs.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Praying
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:11:56 PM EDT
[#33]
Prayers sent, OP.

My neice had an enormous cancerous tumor in her face at 14 years old. She went through chemo, radiation, and numerous surgeries but she's doing great now at 16. Clean scans every 3 months. Can't say enough about how awesome the Cleveland Clinic is.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Prayers my wife and I have been through this its not easy
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:26:46 PM EDT
[#35]
Prayers for your daughter and family. I hope she receives the best of care and can have a long and happy life.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:35:06 PM EDT
[#36]
My son was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma in December 1994 at the age of 9. He had a tumor the size of a grapefruit that was close to crushing his windpipe. He had emergency surgery to relieve the pressure, but the tumor could not be removed due to being entangled with his heart arteries. He had months of intensive chemotherapy and high doses of radiation. It was a year in Hell to be honest. My wife had to quit her job to be with him, it got pretty tight for a while.

The chemo back then was pretty horrific stuff, they no longer even use half of it these days. But it kept him alive. He is in full remission for almost 30 years now, but there were long term effects. He is sterile from the chemo, and his thyroid was destroyed by the radiation. He still has bad scarring from the surgeries and chemo burns internally, mustard can really f up your veins, the same stuff in mustard gas. One of the chemicals no longer allowed.

Not trying to be a downer OP, the treatment really is much better these days. If you had to have a childhood cancer, Hodgkin's is the most treatable and survivable.

One piece of advice, do not pass on counseling for your child afterwards. They will be enduring traumatic things, not just physically, but emotionally. My son had several friends in treatment with him that died. We had my son in counseling for a few months after remission, but he seemed fine so we stopped it. In hindsight that was a mistake. He hid deep rooted PTSD well, but it has hurt him as he grew older, and he has issues now with the PTSD and survivors guilt. My advice is do not even think about stopping counseling for at least a few years after treatment.

Good luck to you, I have been there, done that. It will be hard, but you can do it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:57:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Mpnelson81:
C Springs or Denver?  My wife is a MRI Tech at C Springs.

I pray for the best outcome for your daughter.
View Quote

Thanks gents

We are springs but got sent to Denver.

Allison is her name for those asking.
Link Posted: 9/6/2024 11:59:54 PM EDT
[#38]
We've got a niece going in for brain tumor removal in a couple weeks, the missus' cousin's kid just had a brain tumor removed, and the missus is going in for a scan on her brain tumor Sunday. We feel your pain and will pray for you. You're not alone, reach out for support and stay strong
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:00:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By A_G:
Your daughter and family will be in my prayers. May we know her name?

Right now, before more is known and treatments are discussed and started, all you can do is be strong so that she can draw strength from you and see as a stable and reassuring force.

God bless.
View Quote

Allison and thank you.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:02:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Fuck cancer. It can and will be beaten. Warrior mindset is key. Hang tough dad!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By BrowardMason:
Hey @J-L

There's a few of us in this unfortunate club on the forum.

My daughter is 11 and is a 2 time bone cancer Survivor. We just got a round of cleat scans today.

TacX has a little princess with a brain tumor and is currently in the fight. He and I have become friends and we chat regularly.

I'm very sorry that you guys have to deal with this.

Feel free to reach out if you need to vent or have questions.

View Quote

Thanks brother
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 12:06:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Sending prayers.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 2:28:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Sending prayers for Allison.

Wanted to mention that one of the things that helped me in chemo was an electric (blanket) throw size that I brought with me. The hospital ‘warm blankets’ always got cold too fast.

Taking walks outside in the neighborhood also helped keep me focused on the positive things as opposed to the serious matters at hand.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:43:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By TexFive-O:
Fuck cancer. It can and will be beaten. Warrior mindset is key. Hang tough dad!!
View Quote

Agreed 100 percent
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#45]
Prayers for you guys.

Make sure you start shopping hospitals now. A friend just went through this and it has taken about 120 days on and off at UCLA. He kept a great blog for updates and for daily encouragement from others.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:49:12 AM EDT
[#46]
While my daughter didn’t actually have a cancer diagnosis, our doctor left my wife hanging for 7 days while we waited for pathology to come back.

I have enough of an idea of how you feel OP. We’re thinking and praying for you and your family.

Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#47]
I was hospitalized with a large chest mass when I was 9. Chest pain and malaise brought me in and the x-ray showed a man’s size fist tumor wedged up against my heart. It was rather infected and, long story short, that summer was dominated by two hospital stays and surgical recovery. I was lucky enough that it ended up being benign, but they didn’t know that until they removed it and did a biopsy. As a kid, it was tough - but I know for a fact that it was a hundred times harder on my parents. Not that I really understood that until years later. They were rocks.

Prayers to you guys. This, too, shall pass - but in the meantime, may the peace the Lord be with you and your family.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#48]
No kids here but my thoughts and prayers are with you op.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#49]
I hate cancer. It breaks my heart when it happens to kids. Stay strong ARFcom bros.
Link Posted: 9/7/2024 11:30:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EastWest] [#50]
Originally Posted By DaveyDug:
Prayers sent, OP.

My neice had an enormous cancerous tumor in her face at 14 years old. She went through chemo, radiation, and numerous surgeries but she's doing great now at 16. Clean scans every 3 months. Can't say enough about how awesome the Cleveland Clinic is.
View Quote

Amen to that regarding the Cleveland Clinic. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2012, took the problem to Cleveland Clinic. Surgeon was outstanding, everyone was wonderful. The cancer to this day has never come back.

Prayers up for your daughter and you and your family, OP!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top