Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/4/2024 8:50:15 PM EDT
LAN port?
This was brought up a while back and I forgot the answer.

Also, I have a rack mountable pc, I5 3240(i think) with16 gb ram and 4 ports. Would I be better leaving the router on its own machine or vm it on the pc chassis?
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 8:56:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stiglitz_actual] [#1]
If you have a switch capable of using VLANs then you can run everything over a single port w/ pfsense though it's a nonstandard configuration
You'll have to set it up and configure only the LAN interface for the single port, then login to the webui and setup the VLANs and re-assign the LAN to the new LAN ... VLAN

For a basic WAN/LAN setup, it'll be easier to stick with using two physical ports

ETA: VM is doable too, but again it'll be easier with a dedicated physical machine
Link Posted: 10/4/2024 9:20:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I will probably keep the mini for the router and make a backup copy I can spool up on the bigger machine, just in case the little one fails.
I have a TP-Link 24 port managed switch so vlans are covered. I am playing around with vlans for IOT, guest, office, and security. At least one of the ports is for WAN. I am thinking about a redundant WAN link over cell service. Our WISP gets knocked out every time the weather acts up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top