Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/20/2018 6:11:01 PM EDT
So if I understand the lottery correctly, the idea is to buy a winning ticket and then have fun with the money.

I bought tickets for the Mega Millions and Powerball, but they didn't win.  So I'm doing something wrong.  I can't figure out what, though, since I did sincerely want to win.

I was hoping that some of our members who have won massive lottery payouts would share their approach.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#1]
You bought losing tickets. Don’t buy those, they’re a waste of money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:12:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to buy all the tickets
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:17:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It's simple; pick the right numbers.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#5]
How many possible combinations are there? Buy that many tickets. Then you'll win
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:20:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Best strategy is not to play,then you win
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Good luck with your retirement plan.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How many possible combinations are there? Buy that many tickets. Then you'll win
View Quote
That’s not an assurance of winning.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:24:08 PM EDT
[#9]
You need to study the past winning number combinations until you recognize the pattern, then you will know what comes next.

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Lotto is an idiot tax.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
So google says mega millions is up to 1.6billion

Google also says there are 302,575,350 possible combinations

At $2/ticket and tanking the long term payment you'd come out ahead.

Provided no one else wins and you have to split it
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I just get the random pick. So far I haven't won millions of dollars yet. I need a new strategy that is a guaranteed way to win.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good luck with your retirement plan.
View Quote
Thanks.

I got a late start, but feel confident I'll figure out the lottery and have that funded quickly.  And the next drawing is soon enough, so I can repurpose the mortgage money for a nice weekend with Mrs. vim.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:30:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I got a late start, but feel confident I'll figure out the lottery and have that funded quickly.  And the next drawing is soon enough, so I can repurpose the mortgage money for a nice weekend with Mrs. vim.
View Quote
Play lottos with better chances?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Lotto is an idiot tax.
View Quote
Until you win

rember somebody always wins eventually.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:32:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

There a new kind of math I'm not familiar with? There's 292M and change possible combinations of 6 numbers. That 292M is literally every possible way the balls could come out. It's a guaranteed win IF you could pull it off.

Problem is: You'd need almost $600M to invest, you couldn't possibly buy nearly 300M tickets in time, and if the pot is split you can lose money.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:34:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

There a new kind of math I'm not familiar with? There's 292M and change possible combinations of 6 numbers. That 292M is literally every possible way the balls could come out. It's a guaranteed win IF you could pull it off.

Problem is: You'd need almost $600M to invest, you couldn't possibly buy nearly 300M tickets in time, and if the pot is split you can lose money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You didn’t say to play every possible combination. You said to buy the same number of tickets as the number of combinations.

Even if you played every possible combination, there’s no guarantee that the winning numbers wouldn’t have been played by enough people to cut your lump sum after-tax winnings down to an amount less than you had invested.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:35:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm.  I should check to see if there are any groupons for lottery.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You didn’t say to play every possible combination. You said to buy the same number of tickets as the number of combinations.

Even if you played every possible combination, there’s no guarantee that the winning numbers wouldn’t have been played by enough people to cut your lump sum after-tax winnings down to an amount less than you had invested.
View Quote
Your semantics skills are nearly perfect.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:40:45 PM EDT
[#20]
You would need one ticket for every possible combination.

If you can specify the numbers, that is possible.

If you pick randomly, you may get any number of duplicates and there is no guarantee the random numbers will cover all the combinations. In fact, it's unlikely.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:42:03 PM EDT
[#21]
OP isn't a member of the Arfcom Black Ops Team, he will never be allowed win.  The $1.6 BILLION winner has already been selected from Black Ops Team members list and drawing of the numbers on that person's ticket has been arranged.

Look for a thread next week titled "Guys, I'm FOING Like I've Never Fent Before" as the selected winner's departure to the $120 million island getaway that for sale that was posted about here last week.

Site Staff will be going on an extended vacation within the month.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:46:23 PM EDT
[#22]
Easy, just tell the cashier that you want the winning one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#23]
You didn't spend $200 and rub the machine as it printed the tickets like the guy in front of me did last night?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:50:10 PM EDT
[#24]
My GF hit it pretty big last night.  Made $8 on her single quick-pick.   Champagne wishes and caviar dreams for us!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:50:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Why did you buy losing tickets?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 6:53:20 PM EDT
[#26]
I've only bought two lottery tickets in my life. And today I bought the 2nd one.  The first was at least 8 years ago when it got up to over 300 million.

Just did it for kicks.  See what happens on Tuesday night.  Somebody is going have their life changed in ways they can't imagine when they win.

Patrick
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I will laugh my fucking ass off if some hedge fund manager on wall street wins the entire thing. Or Donald Trump.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
LMAO

Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:09:16 PM EDT
[#29]
MIT had one particular MA lottery figured out for several years. The logistics would be huge, but an investment group could pony up the capital for this one. Generate one ticket for every possible combination and you're guaranteed to be in the money. The big unknown is how many other random winners there could be. That's the part that hurts.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Time machine?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:12:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Spent $20, won $4. Gonna spend another $20 tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:14:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you a lawyer?

You strike me as a lawyer
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:14:22 PM EDT
[#33]
You want advice?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:16:14 PM EDT
[#34]
There's going to be 15-23 winners for the plus billion dollar Mega Millions

Bet
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Somewhere I had read that statistically, you increase your chances of winning by playing the same numbers each time instead of random selections.

I never gave it enough thought to weigh out the validity
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You want advice?
View Quote
Sure.  I'm a humble guy, maybe the humblest guy on the planet, so I don't mind admitting I could use some coaching.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Somewhere I had read that statistically, you increase your chances of winning by playing the same numbers each time instead of random selections.

I never gave it enough thought to weigh out the validity
View Quote
I've seen that the winning ticket is always purchased at a Publix out in the sticks, so I drive 20 miles to a Publix I wasn't familiar with. Will need to do it again tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:25:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Are you a lawyer?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a lawyer?

I’m an accountant. My specialty is in federal taxation of U.S. persons with foreign income/assets or nonresident aliens with U.S. source income.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I will laugh my fucking ass off if some hedge fund manager on wall street wins the entire thing. Or Donald Trump.
View Quote
Actually it will be a Saudi oil prince... he'll use the money to buy out several US fracking companies and shut them down and then profit even more!
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I spent $6 and won $20. I'm ahead this time.
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:48:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
So if I understand the lottery correctly, the idea is to buy a winning ticket and then have fun with the money.

I bought tickets for the Mega Millions and Powerball, but they didn't win.  So I'm doing something wrong.  I can't figure out what, though, since I did sincerely want to win.

I was hoping that some of our members who have won massive lottery payouts would share their approach.
View Quote

You do know the Powerball drawing is tonight right (Saturday)?
Link Posted: 10/20/2018 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I could ophineslty see myself playing a lottery thing every week when I retire and have some stability.

I can understand the appeal. Just the conversation and entertainment is worth a couple of bucks.

Stil, every time I read about these people buying several tickets - often a hundred or more - I simply agree with the “idiot tax” label.

An inability to understand math will impede your progress in life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top